• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAIRA

CAN YOU SPEAK UP DEAR? I CAN'T HEAR YOU ;)

However, for every RE in Wells, there were two Transits! The excitement of one of those on the 161!

I was brought up with DP REs but poppy red not leaf green!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

When I moved down, there were still Roe bodied Olympians on the 41/43-5, the 70, and the X67!! It wasn't that long ago.

As we are doing memories, I remember Bath Services 8018 & 8020 were regulars on the 15 to Whiteway Cemetry.

carlberry

Established Member
A fair shout actually.

I think Metrobus will be good for Bristol.

I was gutted to have missed out on a K-reg Olympian on city routes :(

Harbourside rally in May would be a good chance for the one restored in City Line colours (I dont know that it's going this year but it has in the past).

It was only yesterday that the last KSWs left Muller Road!
I SAID IT WAS ONLY YESTERDAY .....

THarris123

Established Member
As I was born in 1991. I remember a fair bit of stuff from the mid 90's onwards

I'm going to make GW sound even older - I'm two years younger :)

Only bus I remember from my childhood was catching a park and ride bus with my grandmother - one of the V/W reg ELC Tridents now in Plymouth/Wessex/Hampshire. That's the joys of a farming family - must use the car - I swear my other grandmother has never stepped on a bus. Then there was Mr Filers coaches taking me to school (mostly his L and M reg vehicles (which is modern for him!)). Then I started using buses in 2010 - think the oldest thing I can remember was a A reg decker on 342, as well as some of the S reg Olympians with Kernow (of which i experienced in Bodmin last March).

Can we move on now? It's beginning to sound like some sort of coffee morning - next someone's going to say do you remember the days of the war :)

In today's news - you'll be pleased to know that by the end of the month I will be a new resident of Wells (i'm finally moving out), so there will be lots of reports of fleet movements and allocations.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Can we move on now? It's beginning to sound like some sort of coffee morning - next someone's going to say do you remember the days of the war :)

Isn't that what a forum is? An online coffee morning?

The world didn't begin in 2004 and there's a lot of historical knowledge that can be applied to the present (if only as a warning). Not everyone may find the reports of B7s on the 376 as scintillating? However, the quote from Voltaire should kick in at that point ;)

The mods naturally keep an eye on things (that's their job) but my view is that things posted shouldn't be incorrect and that the discussion shouldn't just go round in circles (e.g. the long running service 70 debate). Why not have a bit of nostalgia - certainly the Brislington and Harbourside days would indicate that it's quite popular :)
Harbourside rally in May would be a good chance for the one restored in City Line colours (I dont know that it's going this year but it has in the past).

It was only yesterday that the last KSWs left Muller Road!
I SAID IT WAS ONLY YESTERDAY .....

YES DEAR.... WHO'S THE PRIME MINISTER?

The sight of a preserved CityLine Olympian (was it 9621?) when a few years on, some of the same batch were still in service in Kernow!

Talking of old things and Muller Road, see the Lance Pathfinder has disappeared (for scrap, it's been reported). The Roe Olympian is still there in the shadows. However, does anyone know what happened to L654SEU, the ex Badgerline trainer and the odd Atlantean that were also dragged out of LH and put there?
As we are doing memories, I remember Bath Services 8018 & 8020 were regulars on the 15 to Whiteway Cemetry.

That to Haycombe Cemetery? What route did that take - via Pennyquick?

Think my late father started driving on KS's and L5Gs!

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member

The world didn't begin in 2004 and there's a lot of historical knowledge that can be applied to the present (if only as a warning). Not everyone may find the reports of B7s on the 376 as scintillating? However, the quote from Voltaire should kick in at that point ;)

The mods naturally keep an eye on things (that's their job) but my view is that things posted shouldn't be incorrect and that the discussion shouldn't just go round in circles (e.g. the long running service 70 debate). Why not have a bit of nostalgia - certainly the Brislington and Harbourside days would indicate that it's quite popular :)

Ok that's a fair point.

The report on the B7 - how often do you see 2 B7s on 376 now. I was on 69448 and that was completely jam packed.

I admit it is nice to read of old memories and makes me realised that things were better on the buses back then.

Give me an Olympian any day rather than a Streetdeck ;)

CD

Ok that's a fair point.

The report on the B7 - how often do you see 2 B7s on 376 now. I was on 69448 and that was completely jam packed.

I admit it is nice to read of old memories and makes me realised that things were better on the buses back then.

Give me an Olympian any day rather than a Streetdeck ;)

Im afraid although "back then" there were some very interesting vehicles on the road, rural services although more varied than today, were far less frequent.
Then in the mid 80s in came the dreaded Ford Transits which caused me to give up the hobby for several years.
On my local route the change from a ECW Bristol LH to a Transit was just too much. :D

Whiteway215

Established Member

That to Haycombe Cemetery? What route did that take - via Pennyquick?

Think my late father started driving on KS's and L5Gs!

Parade Gardens (Terrace Walk) Pierrepont St,Manvers St, Dorchester St,Churchill Bridge, Wells Rd, Bear Flat, Bloomfield Rd, Bloomfield Park, Englishcombe Lane, Mount Road,The Hollow, Whiteway (Haycombe) Cemetery.

YOU DID ASK!!!

Colly405

On Monday, I was waiting on Southmead Rd for the first 77 towards town. The realtime tracker said it was 4 min away when down the road came a "Not in Service" ex-Norwich Volvo, as often seen on the 77. Then the 77 itself turned up, which I boarded.

From Westbury we picked up nobody - seemed odd...

When we got to Cranbrook Rd, there was a 77 in front (on an hourly service!) - no wonder we hadn't picked anjyone up since Westbury! It was the Volvo I saw earlier.

According to my driver, they have been sending 2 vehicles on that run as they are trying to sort the timekeeping (and the timetable only changed last week...), so the Volvo went empty from Thornbury to Westbury from where it ran in service (leaving there on time, presumably) and we followed through Westbury about 10 late.

Is this regular practice when trying to sort out punctuality issues?

Same journey today only saw one vehicle - 12 late on Southmead Rd, about 25 late by St Michael's Hill.

And finally, late this morning a 77 took 15 minutes to get into, through and out of Southmead Hospital. The bus stop cum taxi rank cum disabled drop off point there is getting beyond a joke - and the chaps directing traffic seem not to help one jot...!

vicbury

I see Bath have managed to destroy 65724 already:

12120928.jpg

Oops.

THarris123

Established Member

That's a well caught picture. I thought Bath were already short of buses - that's another one down.

69438 on 376 this evening - this one usually appears as a spare.
I think Wells must be down a Streetdeck.

42957 on 8/9 (nice to see that again - I always preferred the darts on that route compared to Streetlites

Also saw a not in service 37330 going through Temple Quay

60914 on 376 has broken down at Pensford Hillcrest - must have struggled up the hill. Would've been fine if I wasn't on 69438 on the next one. 1 Streetdeck is in for maintenance and the other broke down.

CD

60914 on 376 has broken down at Pensford Hillcrest - must have struggled up the hill. Would've been fine if I wasn't on 69438 on the next one. 1 Streetdeck is in for maintenance and the other broke down.

60914 was 1426 from Street Oakfield Road, 69438 the 1456.
53401 was 1414 375 from Wells and to make up for it 69441 on 161. Something went wrong there then?

Good to see the 376 passengers sharing the delights of a B7L.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
60914 was 1426 from Street Oakfield Road, 69438 the 1456.
53401 was 1514 375 from Wells and to make up for it 69441 on 161. Something went wrong there then?

Good to see the 376 passengers sharing the delights of a B7L.

Extra capacity on the 161 for schools? Or a late runner on the 375?
the nearest thing to it now is the ct bus that does the service out through englishcome to wrigthlington with mount road and haycombe turminus on the end.

Do you mean the 768? That's been Citistar for a while.
Im afraid although "back then" there were some very interesting vehicles on the road, rural services although more varied than today, were far less frequent.
Then in the mid 80s in came the dreaded Ford Transits which caused me to give up the hobby for several years.
On my local route the change from a ECW Bristol LH to a Transit was just too much. :D

I would surmise that you remember when Minehead had a proper bus depot AND bus station?

My first forays into Somerset came c.1991 so lots of breadvans out and about then so such services as the 253 Bath - Frome - Warminster were already gone.

You're right that many rural routes have gone (or are disappearing) but the main routes are more frequent. The 376 is double the frequency it was (except Wells to Street) as is the 375 (163). The 126 is now only hourly (was every 30 mins Cheddar to Weston). The 67 (670/170) was only 5 journeys. The 54 was only two hourly (and not exactly clockface), the 28 hourly.

The real casualties have been very rural services (e.g. some of the Dorset ones esp. ex Bere Regis). However, local services are also much reduced despite the flood of breadvans around deregulation. Some are now back to old headways with conventional vehicles (e.g. Weston) or have disappeared (e.g. 174 Churchill Road in Wells).

Somerset have already cut back a lot, and sadly, you can see Wiltshire doing the same. Not likely to have such an impact on First but not good news for many other firms http://wiltshire.gov.uk/news/articles/bus-service-consultation However, proposals would see 231 and 272 lose Sunday services, evening services on those and the 265, and the 10 get slashed to a few odd journeys.

Last edited:

vicbury

Not nice but hopefully not injuries sustained by anyone. Van was turning into the property and then rear ended into the gatepost/wall?

I've no idea what happened, the picture is from the Bath Chronicle which I linked to. I wonder if speed might have been a factor though - Wellsway is long, straight and downhill. Presumably if the bus is fitted with GPS tracking, First can extract such data in due course.

LAIRA

Parade Gardens (Terrace Walk) Pierrepont St,Manvers St, Dorchester St,Churchill Bridge, Wells Rd, Bear Flat, Bloomfield Rd, Bloomfield Park, Englishcombe Lane, Mount Road,The Hollow, Whiteway (Haycombe) Cemetery.

YOU DID ASK!!!

Correct, I used to stay in Mount Road and the 7's were visable across the green.

To bring things up to date I have been to Bristol and Somerset today.

Saw a Streelite on the 2 sorry number not noted.

Waited about an hour to see my first Streetdeck on 376 and 4 were noted 35161/62/64/67

Viewed Muller Road out front were 42711 42705 and 50290 on a trailer. 50290 had been reported as have gone to Alpha.

Also noted were

42138/703/339/109/136/709
62949/935/936
62225/219/189/209/210
66102/117/167/110
No deckers visable although they may have been inside in the gloom

Trainers seen were 68567 68505 42252 now with FSA out working and 41404 68513 on Weston garage.

68570 as moved to First South West and was working the 25 to Wiveliscombe.

Taunton Garage contained 40034 48263 66127 32854 48234 33099 all out of use and 48261 being removed by an Alpha tow truck.
68555 in the workshops but no sign of any other Yellow School Buses
43823 stored up the side and 43821/822 60814 62193 plus 4 others stored in the bus station.

34176 -54
34178-22

All for now
Colin

THarris123

Established Member
Oops my mistake :oops: And I was on it as well from Glastonbury to Street.

I was still recovering from seeing 60914 on 376 !!

Not very good in Wells then yesterday. I don't think we'll be seeing any of the B7ls on 376 any time soon - especially as 60914 failed on the hill before Chelwood - it would have probably blown up if it reached Clutton. Strange for it to fail, as it should have been on there all day, unless it was covering the Streetdeck which broke down.