• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
True but for me it didn't make much sense for First to operate the 234.

Shared operation of the Chippenham and Melksham routes would make sense with First operating early journeys towards Wiltshire and late journeys towards Bath; and Faresaver operating early journeys towards Bath and late journeys towards Wiltshire.

That's a logistical argument but not a commercial or competitive one.

If anything, I could see First further reducing their Wiltshire presence but more likely, they're happy to contain Faresaver and keep them away from their Bath city routes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vicbury

That's a logistical argument but not a commercial or competitive one.

If anything, I could see First further reducing their Wiltshire presence but more likely, they're happy to contain Faresaver and keep them away from their Bath city routes.

Indeed but it could reduce workings thus costs for both parties. Off-peak journeys which are duplicated through competition might also be able to be removed. Just an idea, I don't know the corridors well enough to comment further.

As for the city routes, First never really did anything when Faresaver competed on the 14. However arguably First didn't really need to do anything as Faresaver operated an erratic timetable with journeys often cancelled and people often complained about them.

FSW Official

If it is actually someone official from BoS/Kernow on the forum, then a very warm welcome.

Thank you for confirming what's going on. I assume that'll be 60915/6 from Eastern Counties - I wonder if they'll be displaced by these 8 Streetdecks due to arrive at Norwich (along with the other 02 reg B7ls - I'm hoping we won't get them in Bristol!).

Is the eventual plan to withdraw the 51/02 reg stuff this/next year?

Also is the 21 going to get anything new(er)?

It is and we're pleased to supply information of interest, to the point where it becomes commercially sensitive, so I trust people will understand that there will be questions which we won't be able to answer here.

There is one B7L due from EC, and it is not one of the ones we previously sent them! As I understand there is only the 1 surplus.

I'n not sure who the question about the 51/02 vehicles refers to, but we certainly don't have any general plans to replace such vehicles at BoS. Clearly there are some non DDA Tridents that will need to be replaced. It is always possible that some single deckers could be displaced by cascades, either for disposal or onward cascade, but there is no great urgency to replace DDA single deckers. There is no final plan for cascades in or out of FSW yet, and those plans are never really that set anyway, as over the course of a year vehicle requirements across UK bus change as contracts are won or lost, and initiatives implemented that can reduce or increase fleet requirements, driven by a whole range of factors, a number of which are not even within our control.

The 21 will have to have something to replace the non DDA Tridents in use on it, and indeed the replacement of our non DDA Tridents in general is likely to lead to the reallocation of types across BoS. The B7Ls are broadly for the 21, allowing Tridents to be moved onto other lines to replace the Olympians and to release a few Tridents to First Kernow.

DaveHarries

Established Member
It is and we're pleased to supply information of interest, to the point where it becomes commercially sensitive, so I trust people will understand that there will be questions which we won't be able to answer here.
It is indeed nice to see an operator joining an enthusiast forum. Welcome FSW!

Here's a thought. I could imagine Bodmin to St. Austell doing fairly well but has thought ever been given to trying Bodmin to St. Austell via. Lostwithiel? Could be done by rerouting eityher the 24 or 25 but perhaps the 30-minute frequency between Fowey and St. Austell does sufficiently well to justify its existence. Just an idea though.

Dave

THarris123

Established Member

There is one B7L due from EC, and it is not one of the ones we previously sent them! As I understand there is only the 1 surplus.

I'n not sure who the question about the 51/02 vehicles refers to, but we certainly don't have any general plans to replace such vehicles at BoS. Clearly there are some non DDA Tridents that will need to be replaced. It is always possible that some single deckers could be displaced by cascades, either for disposal or onward cascade, but there is no great urgency to replace DDA single deckers. There is no final plan for cascades in or out of FSW yet, and those plans are never really that set anyway, as over the course of a year vehicle requirements across UK bus change as contracts are won or lost, and initiatives implemented that can reduce or increase fleet requirements, driven by a whole range of factors, a number of which are not even within our control.

The 21 will have to have something to replace the non DDA Tridents in use on it, and indeed the replacement of our non DDA Tridents in general is likely to lead to the reallocation of types across BoS. The B7Ls are broadly for the 21, allowing Tridents to be moved onto other lines to replace the Olympians and to release a few Tridents to First Kernow.

That's brilliant to have someone from FSW on here - at the moment that cartoon about dreams and reality that Dougle has in Father Ted is going through my mind :)

What Tridents are non-DDA compliant - is it as simple as anything which isn't painted in green?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Thanks for joining the fray. Whilst we do get some posters who do have accurate information (and some who don't ;)), good to have reliable info.

I'd guess the 51/02 plates will be around for a while, not least because you've got deckers and B10BLEs about that are older? Also, not certain how the boards work but will the Weston journeys on the 21 remain deckers and the B7Ls just work the not so short shorts?

As always, it'll be another intriguing year in the FSW fleets.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Here's a thought. I could imagine Bodmin to St. Austell doing fairly well but has thought ever been given to trying Bodmin to St. Austell via. Lostwithiel? Could be done by rerouting eityher the 24 or 25 but perhaps the 30-minute frequency between Fowey and St. Austell does sufficiently well to justify its existence. Just an idea though.

Dave

Would the parallel rail service not be the reason why bus services from Lostwithiel to St Austell are almost absent?

Back in Bristol today.... 32354, 32284 and 63071 working X39 alongside various B9s, 32941 being rather empty on the 36 and 32256 on the 2. Apart from that, much the usual

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
In Bath:
30870 on 319
Various Tridents on 15
42968 on 14

63070 looking to go out on 267 - it's now lost its pictures of Bath and Bristol on the sides

Has anyone seen 69253 around lately?
Oh and 69438 has now finally changed its wing mirror - the only 59 B7s that have overhang mirrors are now 69457/8

FSW Official

Dave

We've in tender negotiations as I write so unable to really comment at this stage!
What Tridents are non-DDA compliant - is it as simple as anything which isn't painted in green?

No i'm afraid it isn't that simple.
The ex Scotland Alexanders aren't DDA compliant. I believe that the London Presidents are a mixture. We do know, I just don't have the list to hand!
I'd guess the 51/02 plates will be around for a while, not least because you've got deckers and B10BLEs about that are older? Also, not certain how the boards work but will the Weston journeys on the 21 remain deckers and the B7Ls just work the not so short shorts?

We like our B10BLEs a lot!
The 21 has a number of dedicated peak college flow deckers. Apart from those the core allocation is fine with singles except in Summer when the Weston section demand requires deckers on a few key journeys. At present the shorts and Westons are each standalone. In theory the shorts are B6BLE operated and the Westons Trident operated.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
We've in tender negotiations as I write so unable to really comment at this stage!

No i'm afraid it isn't that simple.
The ex Scotland Alexanders aren't DDA compliant. I believe that the London Presidents are a mixture. We do know, I just don't have the list to hand!

We like our B10BLEs a lot!
The 21 has a number of dedicated peak college flow deckers. Apart from those the core allocation is fine with singles except in Summer when the Weston section demand requires deckers on a few key journeys. At present the shorts and Westons are each standalone. In theory the shorts are B6BLE operated and the Westons Trident operated.

I can well imagine that - I know people who've operated them and they wish Volvo had kept producing them rather than move to the B7L!

I don't get to travel the 21 much and haven't looked at how it works with the last changes so thanks for that. This time of year, I'd assume singles are fine (save schools and college traffic) but when the camps at Brean fill up, then doubles will come into their own again.

Probably wrong to assume but that the Tridents that haven't been painted in green may be the ones that will head to Kernow in due course - those are mainly the ones that have come from Essex or Kernow in the last 6 or so months?
In Bath:
30870 on 319
Various Tridents on 15
42968 on 14

63070 looking to go out on 267 - it's now lost its pictures of Bath and Bristol on the sides

Oh and 69438 has now finally changed its wing mirror - the only 59 B7s that have overhang mirrors are now 69457/8

Indeed, 32939/50 on the 15 with 66992.

32349 also on X39 today. 66727 on the W1 and the 32254 on the 49 which is a little unusual.

CD

Does anyone know if BoS 34176/8 have been withdrawn yet? And 66729 was noted on a 1 earlier.

34176 last seen by me on Wednesday on 21.

34178 is withdrawn, MOT expired 1/2/16. It last worked on Friday 29/1/16 on 54.
If it is actually someone official from BoS/Kernow on the forum, then a very warm welcome.

Thank you for confirming what's going on. I assume that'll be 60915/6 from Eastern Counties

I would imagine the B7L in question is 61148 MV02 VBU.

FSW Official

Probably wrong to assume but that the Tridents that haven't been painted in green may be the ones that will head to Kernow in due course - those are mainly the ones that have come from Essex or Kernow in the last 6 or so months?

Your assumption is correct!

CD

Ive been quoted 32817 and 32852.

Whiteway215

Established Member
In Bath:
30870 on 319
Various Tridents on 15
42968 on 14

69253 was seen in Bath on Wednesday this week.
Can I also welcome FSW and thank you for answering our queries. Could I impose and ask a question please?

When First withdrew from Plymouth there was a large number of older vehicles that needed to be taken away for storage. I read somewhere that many were placed in storage 'in a field near Bude.' I did wonder if in fact that was true or whether it was just a rumour.
With the DDA requirements, along with all companies, more vehicles would have been withdrawn in December and needed a place for storage.
I would think many of these buses would now have been removed by dealers or for scrap.
Thank you for any information.

THarris123

Established Member
69253 was seen in Bath on Wednesday this week.
Can I also welcome FSW and thank you for answering our queries. Could I impose and ask a question please?

When First withdrew from Plymouth there was a large number of older vehicles that needed to be taken away for storage. I read somewhere that many were placed in storage 'in a field near Bude.' I did wonder if in fact that was true or whether it was just a rumour.
With the DDA requirements, along with all companies, more vehicles would have been withdrawn in December and needed a place for storage.
I would think many of these buses would now have been removed by dealers or for scrap.
Thank you for any information.

Thanks for update on 69253. I'm still surprised we've kept that for so long.
Solo in spare at Wells today, as well as the odd B7 going in and out.

FSW Official

When First withdrew from Plymouth there was a large number of older vehicles that needed to be taken away for storage. I read somewhere that many were placed in storage 'in a field near Bude.' I did wonder if in fact that was true or whether it was just a rumour. With the DDA requirements said:
Nowhere near Bude!
We have been using a number of short term sites. While some of those locations are undoubtedly known by some (including people reading this), they are all located on third parties' private property, and I'm not therefore going to list them i'm afraid.
However, virtually all of the ex Plymouth vehicles have now gone. The vast majority were sold directly by ourselves for further use, some were used for parts (particularly for BoS where we still run B6s and B10s) and a very small number went for scrap.
The end of year DDA removals resulted again in a small number being scrapped (most of these are still on our premises awaiting collection following recovery of major units for further use), some have already been sold, three are in use on closed contracts or staff shuttle duties, and a number are literally just about to be advertised for sale.
In addition we've withdrawn a large number of Olympians, with more due out shortly, but these have all been sold or pre-sold.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It's a lovely machine. It's just an oddity - the only 07 reg B7 - I would have thought that would join the others elsewhere. But there again if we've still got 67600, then no reason really not to have 69253.

We have all sorts of oddities. 39005 and 57000 are the most obvious ones. Arguably, the fact that we've got 67600 and 57000 are the real strange ones as these are unique in the fleet yet there are other examples elsewhere in First (though 67600 might have a few specialities)

69253 is just a standard First B7RLE so it makes no great odds - saw 69250 the other day in Carmarthen. Nicely refurbished as a Cymru Clipper!!

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
Nowhere near Bude!
We have been using a number of short term sites. While some of those locations are undoubtedly known by some (including people reading this), they are all located on third parties' private property, and I'm not therefore going to list them i'm afraid.
However, virtually all of the ex Plymouth vehicles have now gone. The vast majority were sold directly by ourselves for further use, some were used for parts (particularly for BoS where we still run B6s and B10s) and a very small number went for scrap.
The end of year DDA removals resulted again in a small number being scrapped (most of these are still on our premises awaiting collection following recovery of major units for further use), some have already been sold, three are in use on closed contracts or staff shuttle duties, and a number are literally just about to be advertised for sale.
In addition we've withdrawn a large number of Olympians, with more due out shortly, but these have all been sold or pre-sold.

Many thanks for clarifying that.

ooo

Strangely one of the 'Electricity' Enviros was parked up outside the Colston Hall this afternoon

Private Baxter

Established Member
Was in Bath earlier and saw a couple of these, though both still had their images on. Bet 63070 looks a bit bare now! Was wondering when it would happen.

Thanks for update on 69253. I'm still surprised we've kept that for so long.
Will be four years in April! It arrived on its own in 2012.
I was on it today and it had First Bristol legals BUT it had a sign in the window saying on hire to First Bristol?! confused.com
Seen a bit of this lately, with a lot of buses displaying 'On hire to FSA' when MH are using LH buses. Bit confused myself as this happens all the time anyway. 47566 was displaying it the other day when working an 18. Must be a legal thing as I'm sure the passengers wouldn't know.

jw

Strangely one of the 'Electricity' Enviros was parked up outside the Colston Hall this afternoon

There was an event in the Colston Hall to mark the official end of Bristol 2015 European Green Capital, so I'm guessing it was on display to add some substance to all the talk of environmentally friendly initiatives!

1905 Group

Olympian 34176 on service 54 in Yeovil earlier today,also ex Slough Solo 53055 seen.

Does anyone know if 34176 will be out tomorrow? I'm thinking primarily FSW Official! I was thinking of a quick trip to Yeovil to see its last day(s) as I've never actually seen one of the AAE batch strangely!