• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

ValleyLines142

Established Member
The only benefit to me of the 54 is the fact we'll see the pink 70/71 Streetdecks on a different route. Other than that, I find it odd.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
x18 was a south glos vanity project funded by develloper funding, never going to be sustanable after the money run out. i think you should be grateful to have the choice of two other routes instead!

Oh yes, because they're SOOOO perfect in every way! Never as if the 19 is late.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

THarris123

Established Member
The only benefit to me of the 54 is the fact we'll see the pink 70/71 Streetdecks on a different route. Other than that, I find it odd.

Oh yes, because they're SOOOO perfect in every way! Never as if the 19 is late.

I actually agree with Marc on that one - you have two services, that's better than one or none at all. Yes ok they're unreliable and lengthy, but for the sake of a few passengers I don't think it's worth it.

Wasn't the X18 using the Marshalls a couple of years ago (the ones which came over from Cymru)? I swear I saw that one with a Marshall on when I was at MoD.

Colly405

So, similar to the new 42A being the same as the short night workings of the 43 then?
2 examples...

And that's the problem with route branding - every journey on the 54 will be run with vehicles branded for the 70/71. Potty. Unless the branding will be changed to 54/70/71 which I very much doubt.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I actually agree with Marc on that one - you have two services, that's better than one or none at all. Yes ok they're unreliable and lengthy, but for the sake of a few passengers I don't think it's worth it.

Wasn't the X18 using the Marshalls a couple of years ago (the ones which came over from Cymru)? I swear I saw that one with a Marshall on when I was at MoD.

You may have seen one on there but the X18 was introduced before the Marshalls came over and was allocated refurbed and repainted 42896-901 for it. Possibly head back to Bath for 10/14?

The Marshalls were mainly for the 81/82 though HE had some that tended to appear on the 20 or 36.
So, similar to the new 42A being the same as the short night workings of the 43 then?
2 examples...

And that's the problem with route branding - every journey on the 54 will be run with vehicles branded for the 70/71. Potty. Unless the branding will be changed to 54/70/71 which I very much doubt.

I wouldn't get very worked up about branding. These are just placement journeys that next to no one will use and in the darkest hours too.

Last edited:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
66994 is not coming from Dublin to Bath to Join it's fellow two doored cousins 66992/3.

The Ex demo streetlite that Aircoach have acquired has saw the rigid Citaro 64000 displaced instead.

Class 33

Established Member
Just made a return trip to Patchway ASDA. And dissapointingly it was a Gemini both ways on the 1, rather than the nicer newer Enviro 400 MMC's. If I'd have waited a few more minutes or so each, no doubt I would have got a better bus, but I couldn't be bothered. But hey ho!

I noticed upstairs though where the advertising boards usually are, a detailed route map for the 1 & 2 which appears to include every single bus stop enroute. Pretty good! Similar to the route maps for the 70 & 71.

Martin2012

Have read the list of changes for the 24th April and have noticed that there are plans for the N47 service to be withdrawn.

Am not at all impressed by this change as I find it hard to believe this service isn't used

freetoview33

Established Member
Have read the list of changes for the 24th April and have noticed that there are plans for the N47 service to be withdrawn.

Am not at all impressed by this change as I find it hard to believe this service isn't used

As said if it aint profitable it goes! But they are looking into night trips on the 47!

DS85

According to Steve White Bristol is getting 20 E400 MMCS and 3 Sreetdecks this year. Rumour has it more E400s from Lecister will be coming to Bristol when they start to get there Streetdecks.

carlberry

Established Member
Steve White's site has details of some vehicles on order for this year:

20 Enviro (12 Bristol P&R, 8 Bath Uni) and 3 Streetdecks. Is there any thing at HE that needs three vehicles or are there revisions on the 70/71/90??

ValleyLines142

Established Member

The X18 did surprisingly well in the peaks. I look forward to seeing how much of an effect this will have.
2 examples...

It won't matter to be honest. Absolutely no need to rebrand them with 54s too.

1905 Group

Why wouldn't they put matching conventional diesel E400MMCs on with the hybrids? Seems a weird decision if you ask me...
So far today I've seen 32252 and 60911 out on the 1, and possibly a Dart. Talking of Darts, there were actually two out on the 8/9 on Sunday!
32070 also on 1!

THarris123

Established Member
36 getting new deckers is as likely as First completely throwing the towel in. It certainly won't happen for many, many years, if at all.

Streetdecks will probably be for 72, as mentioned, but could also be to bolster 70/71/90 or they may even send one to Wells for 376 - there's no spare on 376 apart from singles.
I assume the E400s for U1 will be for peak service then if it's only 8.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Why wouldn't they put matching conventional diesel E400MMCs on with the hybrids? Seems a weird decision if you ask me...
So far today I've seen 32252 and 60911 out on the 1, and possibly a Dart. Talking of Darts, there were actually two out on the 8/9 on Sunday!
32070 also on 1!

Alternatively, why dual source deckers at all? 3 is a small number and it's the most logical answer I can come up with!!

As for the U1, the 8 e400s will be in all day service with the B7LAs used only in the peaks is what was reported.

Last edited:

DS85

How many are they due? Looks like we might just end up with more cast offs to replace 32001-24.

trolleyman

It'll be interesting what and where they source buses for when the Severn Tunnel is shut for 6 weeks in The Autum, whether they are BRISTOL, South Wales or elsewhere

Class 33

Established Member
Might do a return trip to Bath during April when the rail replacement services are running. A nice non-stop bus journey to Bath and return would be fun, instead of the slow X39! Would be good if there's some Streetdecks or Enviro 400's running these services.

DaveHarries

Established Member
It'll be interesting what and where they source buses for when the Severn Tunnel is shut for 6 weeks in The Autum.
That will probably cause havoc when I am at work as I end up being sent to Wales for work quite a bit. The X7 may do quite well during the 6 week period in question.

Dave