• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

THarris123

Established Member
Dom know if anyone has noticed this, but there is a service update on First website regarding Bridgwater:

Services changed on 3/1/17
C has been withdrawn
F has been reduced to 2 journeys
21C has been changed

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Apologies for the quietness from me, I haven't been in Bristol for a month (was last in Bristol exactly a month from today on 19th December).

Just got off the train at Filton Abbey Wood and caught the 70 into town. Usual traction, 35105. Went past Muller Road. What a sorry sight at the moment. 62936 and another Excel out the back covered in graffiti. 41389 and 42754 also looking very sorry for themselves, as well as another ancient R-BAE Dart. Fair to say that there is no hope for any vehicles that end up there.

Into the centre, and the same old vehicles on the same old routes. A notable working was 37019 on the 5! Very unusual. Clearly one of the jade/mint coloured Darts is off the road for whatever reason. Other than that, nothing else of any interest except 37017 on the 1, 37631 on the 2 and 42898. Saw two of the new Enviro 400s for the 50. 33666 which is fully branded and 33660 which just has its orange coat ready. My god, despite absolutely despising the colour orange, they really are very sickly to look at. I have to say, buses that are in plain Olympia livery that receive coloured branding look so out of place, compared to vehicles that arrive already branded, such as the 70/71, 90 and 376 Streetdecks and the 1/2 and 48/49 Enviro 400MMCs. They look as if they were made specifically for these routes but with the 50 examples, even a non-enthusiast would be able to tell that these have just been plastered in orange for that particular purpose. The only contradiction to that point would be the Darts for the 5, which actually look fairly tidy.

I look forward to seeing what the plans are for Bristol, Bath and the West are for this year. I'd like to see a proper, uniformed fleet for the X39, and I'd also like to see something for the 42-45 corridor which will displace plain B9 Geminis (i.e. 37332-37357, 37607, 37613-37632, 37771 and 37772) onto routes where older B7s are still appearing. Perhaps some branded vehicles for the 24 would be nice too.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Apologies for the quietness from me, I haven't been in Bristol for a month (was last in Bristol exactly a month from today on 19th December).

Just got off the train at Filton Abbey Wood and caught the 70 into town. Usual traction, 35105. Went past Muller Road. What a sorry sight at the moment. 62936 and another Excel out the back covered in graffiti. 41389 and 42754 also looking very sorry for themselves, as well as another ancient R-BAE Dart. Fair to say that there is no hope for any vehicles that end up there.

Into the centre, and the same old vehicles on the same old routes. A notable working was 37019 on the 5! Very unusual. Clearly one of the jade/mint coloured Darts is off the road for whatever reason. Other than that, nothing else of any interest except 37017 on the 1, 37631 on the 2 and 42898. Saw two of the new Enviro 400s for the 50. 33666 which is fully branded and 33660 which just has its orange coat ready. My god, despite absolutely despising the colour orange, they really are very sickly to look at. I have to say, buses that are in plain Olympia livery that receive coloured branding look so out of place, compared to vehicles that arrive already branded, such as the 70/71, 90 and 376 Streetdecks and the 1/2 and 48/49 Enviro 400MMCs. They look as if they were made specifically for these routes but with the 50 examples, even a non-enthusiast would be able to tell that these have just been plastered in orange for that particular purpose. The only contradiction to that point would be the Darts for the 5, which actually look fairly tidy.

I look forward to seeing what the plans are for Bristol, Bath and the West are for this year. I'd like to see a proper, uniformed fleet for the X39, and I'd also like to see something for the 42-45 corridor which will displace plain B9 Geminis (i.e. 37332-37357, 37607, 37613-37632, 37771 and 37772) onto routes where older B7s are still appearing. Perhaps some branded vehicles for the 24 would be nice too.

The ones I saw the week before last were 41399 (rather than 41389 - that was the one that got written off in 2014 near Willsbridge after hitting a van), 62935/62936/62949 (Excels), 41162, what I too thought was an R-BAE. 42754? Has that suddenly appeared or have you misread 42252 the former FSW trainer Dart?

Also, when you say "I'd like to see a proper, uniformed fleet for the X39" do you mean:

a) A liveried fleet for the X39 rather than the current branding. As I've said before, the branding at the moment has a temporary interim look about it and I'd expect it to change in respect of something more dynamic (as per the other Bath plans for 2017), or
b) A uniform fleet all of the same type. To be honest 37358/37757-67 are fairly uniform, standard B9TLs allocated to the route. However, if there are days when Bristol's traffic strikes and vehicles have to be slotted in to regain the timetable, then spare deckers like the B7s or the odd e400 are fine.

Private Baxter

Established Member

I'm inclined to agree that the urban liveried buses with branding applied later just don't look right, or indeed as good as those which were done first hand. The 2 branded geminis and 50 branded enviros don't look as good, and in fact it's actually a bit much imo. But of course I appreciate that repainting buses that only recently saw a new coat isn't entirely economical so it will have to do. Regarding the 5 branded buses, I agree that they do look better, but don't forget they were previously plain white so in effect they had a blank canvas to work on.

It would be good to see something new for the 42-5 this year, as I understand this was planned for a couple of years ago but didn't happen. As for X39, new buses in the next year or two seem likely. But with so many other things to consider, who knows what will take priority.

THarris123

Established Member
I'm inclined to agree that the urban liveried buses with branding applied later just don't look right, or indeed as good as those which were done first hand. The 2 branded geminis and 50 branded enviros don't look as good, and in fact it's actually a bit much imo. But of course I appreciate that repainting buses that only recently saw a new coat isn't entirely economical so it will have to do. Regarding the 5 branded buses, I agree that they do look better, but don't forget they were previously plain white so in effect they had a blank canvas to work on.

It would be good to see something new for the 42-5 this year, as I understand this was planned for a couple of years ago but didn't happen. As for X39, new buses in the next year or two seem likely. But with so many other things to consider, who knows what will take priority.

Well so were 5 and 4 due new vehicles back in 2014, but they got moved to X2/3 and now when I mention they might get new fleet, I get moaned at.

Whiteway215

Established Member
The ones I saw the week before last were 41399 (rather than 41389 - that was the one that got written off in 2014 near Willsbridge after hitting a van), 62935/62936/62949 (Excels), 41162, what I too thought was an R-BAE. 42754? Has that suddenly appeared or have you misread 42252 the former FSW trainer Dart?

Also, when you say "I'd like to see a proper, uniformed fleet for the X39" do you mean:

a) A liveried fleet for the X39 rather than the current branding. As I've said before, the branding at the moment has a temporary interim look about it and I'd expect it to change in respect of something more dynamic (as per the other Bath plans for 2017), or
b) A uniform fleet all of the same type. To be honest 37358/37757-67 are fairly uniform, standard B9TLs allocated to the route. However, if there are days when Bristol's traffic strikes and vehicles have to be slotted in to regain the timetable, then spare deckers like the B7s or the odd e400 are fine.

42754 was withdrawn from Bath around September 2015 so is a bit of a survivor for some reason. It is still shown as owned withdrawn on the official Firstbus fleet list dated Jan 2017 on Steve White's website.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
42754 was withdrawn from Bath around September 2015 so is a bit of a survivor for some reason. It is still shown as owned withdrawn on the official Firstbus fleet list dated Jan 2017 on Steve White's website.

The only reason I've questioned it is that they're busy emptying MR. It wasn't there two weeks ago but has suddenly appeared there? Odd
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well so were 5 and 4 due new vehicles back in 2014, but they got moved to X2/3 and now when I mention they might get new fleet, I get moaned at.

People don't moan at you; they have a different opinion. That's all.

You predicted the 3 and the U5/6 would also get new vehicles. That's a lot of investment and we are in different times with Metrobus on the horizon.

THarris123

Established Member
Yep the 3/4/6/7 deckers are all going on 16 years old now and need replacing.

Well from Mr White's latest fleet list, it shows 84 deckers and 19 singles which are 14 years old this year. That's 29 deckers which are 16 years old this year.

freetoview33

Established Member
If the 42-45 get new buses this year, then the B9s can go onto them. I wouldnt be surprised if the 73 also gets new buses.

Doubt the 73 will until metrobus details are confirmed. Well if First are saying the lifespan of a bus is now 17 years, it would suggest that this year and next Lawrence Hill will get new stuff and then Hengrove, as some of the stuff on the 75/76 are 15 years old now.

Class 33

Established Member
I think all bets are of with Metrobus coming! The future shape of the 73 (route, frequency) has a big question mark against it.

I don't think the route of the 73 will change significantly(if atall) for the forseeable future, even with the upcoming Metrobus services between Central Bristol to Bradley Stoke, Aztec West, Patchway, and Cribbs Causeway. Whilst a lot of people in these areas travelling to and from Central Bristol will use Metrobus instead of the 73, the other things to consider is that Metrobus will serve only three bus stops in the Bradley Stoke area. Also there will still be people who want to travel between Gloucester Road/Horfield/Filton and Bradley Stoke/Aztec West. So there'll still need to a bus service to cater for those people. But I do think the frequency of the 73 will be reduced though, i.e. down to every 20 minutes or even only every 30 minutes.

The X73 will be axed though.

ValleyLines142

Established Member

It may well have been 43199; as I say I was on the 70 about to take the right turn into Ralph Road.

42754 was definitely there, behind an Excel.

TheGrandWazoo said:

Whilst I agree the B9s are in decent nick, I'd like to see high-backed seats and USB ports, a la style of 33488-33490.

vicbury

It may well have been 43199; as I say I was on the 70 about to take the right turn into Ralph Road.

42754 was definitely there, behind an Excel.

Whilst I agree the B9s are in decent nick, I'd like to see high-backed seats and USB ports, a la style of 33488-33490.

USB ports could be useful, especially for those with mobile tickets. I'm not keen on high-backed seats as they restrict vision considerably. I can imagine a combination of high-backed seats and the tiny upstairs windows on a Streetdeck would be most claustrophobic!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
USB ports could be useful, especially for those with mobile tickets. I'm not keen on high-backed seats as they restrict vision considerably. I can imagine a combination of high-backed seats and the tiny upstairs windows on a Streetdeck would be most claustrophobic!

I don't think many folk are interested in the views; many these days are absorbed into phones and tablets :lol:

henairs

I don't think many folk are interested in the views; many these days are absorbed into phones and tablets :lol:

Yeah we've got several of that type of folk at work. As for any normal conversation forget it as they've lost the meaning of speech. Even seen them get on buses, toss down some coins and trust the poor driver can guess where they want to go! Was funny one day in town when I watched a guy on his phone walk straight into the back of a vans doors. Thankfully the doors were unharmed.
Cheers, Mike R

Marc

I don't think the route of the 73 will change significantly(if atall) for the forseeable future, even with the upcoming Metrobus services between Central Bristol to Bradley Stoke, Aztec West, Patchway, and Cribbs Causeway. Whilst a lot of people in these areas travelling to and from Central Bristol will use Metrobus instead of the 73, the other things to consider is that Metrobus will serve only three bus stops in the Bradley Stoke area. Also there will still be people who want to travel between Gloucester Road/Horfield/Filton and Bradley Stoke/Aztec West. So there'll still need to a bus service to cater for those people. But I do think the frequency of the 73 will be reduced though, i.e. down to every 20 minutes or even only every 30 minutes.

The X73 will be axed though.

i wouldnt be surprised to see some 73 journeys turn into journeys to uwe instead, doing 73 route to filton ave then as 70 to uwe. i dont think first wont want to lose the frequency down gloster road. the problem is that bradley stoke is a dormitry - very little mon-fri offpeak daytime traffic on 73 and replacing that with metrobus journeys will dilute it even more. no daytime express service to centre via m32 from bradley stoke has ever been successfull, aside from between uwe and centre on various services.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
i wouldnt be surprised to see some 73 journeys turn into journeys to uwe instead, doing 73 route to filton ave then as 70 to uwe. i dont think first wont want to lose the frequency down gloster road. the problem is that bradley stoke is a dormitry - very little mon-fri offpeak daytime traffic on 73 and replacing that with metrobus journeys will dilute it even more. no daytime express service to centre via m32 from bradley stoke has ever been successfull, aside from between uwe and centre on various services.

You've hit the nail on the head.

There is only a finite demand (as we've seen from the ill fated X74). Metrobus will only abstract trade from there (though there will be some passenger increase and modal shift I would imagine).

Whilst C33 is correct that there is the demand from Bradley Stoke down Gloucester Road and indeed to Cribbs and Parkway, there's no guarantee that the 73 will be the means of delivering that.

We don't know what may be round the corner but it may be more complex that merely widening the headway on a few services to accommodate Metrobus (in all areas)

freetoview33

Established Member
I wonder what will happen to the U.W.E service too.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Saying that we should know more any day now.

Operators are in final negotiations and they are expected to be announced in January 2017. At this point, final details such as timetables and ticket prices will be made known