• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

D2007wsm

Established Member
The U1 MMCs appear to be getting the TV screen displays as I passed one with a mount that had a coming soon sign on
That make take a while, it certainly did last year with the P&R E400MMCs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

henairs

Hi All,
Took a trip up to Bath yesterday and noted 3 of the new Deckers whilst there. 36801/802/806 were working around the Bus Stn area on according to Display a festival feeder service but didn't see any passengers around.
As this was early afternoon maybe any festival goers had travelled earlier so this was a lull period?
Any local folk on here know what was going on?
Also just up Dorchester Street outside the railway Stn was ex FHD B10 66201 which is now in a purple/ mauve livery and owned by Bath Theatre Company.
Cheers, Mike R

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Hi All,
Took a trip up to Bath yesterday and noted 3 of the new Deckers whilst there. 36801/802/806 were working around the Bus Stn area on according to Display a festival feeder service but didn't see any passengers around.
As this was early afternoon maybe any festival goers had travelled earlier so this was a lull period?
Any local folk on here know what was going on?
Also just up Dorchester Street outside the railway Stn was ex FHD B10 66201 which is now in a purple/ mauve livery and owned by Bath Theatre Company.
Cheers, Mike R

Hi Mike

It was the Yonder Festival next door to BSU. Started at 1300 so you're probably right that most patrons would already have travelled.

That B10BLE is a semi permanent fixture outside the station!!!

henairs

Hi Mike

It was the Yonder Festival next door to BSU. Started at 1300 so you're probably right that most patrons would already have travelled.

That B10BLE is a semi permanent fixture outside the station!!!

Ta for info on the above Wazoo. I remember now it was indeed Yonder Festival.
Hopefully the new Scanias will do the odd trip on the U1 on a Saturday as I would like to sample one internally.
Cheers, Mike R

D2007wsm

Established Member
Ta for info on the above Wazoo. I remember now it was indeed Yonder Festival.
Hopefully the new Scanias will do the odd trip on the U1 on a Saturday as I would like to sample one internally.
Cheers, Mike R

They were out on U1s during the week, with temporary Uni Bus stickers under the windscreen and on the back and advert panels on the sides. Why couldn't similar treatment be given to the 2 hired red buses to stop confusion?

I think a far sensibleler solution for company's hiring out buses would be to paint them white or another neutral colour. There is an abundance of ex London red buses round the country.

Marcus Fryer

Has the UWE service been changed so that it no longer serves Broad Weir? The stop doesn't feature in the online timetables, although departure times are still shown at the stop. Despite the inbound service seeming to operate normally, no outbound buses turned up yesterday for the 17:17 or 17:47 departures.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Some rather concerning (and perhaps not unexpected) news on the FHD forum from Simon Nicholas (who is usually pretty reliable on such things).

Looks like another round of winter service cuts are coming for First Dorset with some Weymouth locals (3,4,8) losing their Sunday service, and the X53 coming off and so Bridport drops off the public transport map.

Moreover, the prognosis for next year is not said to be good. I think we all expected the Slowcoaster to go but apparently, traffic congestion into the town is effectively removing any growth on the key Dorchester Road corridor. Having been to Weymouth a couple of times this year, I can understand that problem!

Shame as it had seemed that Weymouth was on the up (before the strike action) with new Streetlites, Solos and modern cascades with the ex Eclipse Volvos.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
They were out on U1s during the week, with temporary Uni Bus stickers under the windscreen and on the back and advert panels on the sides. Why couldn't similar treatment be given to the 2 hired red buses to stop confusion?

I think a far sensibleler solution for company's hiring out buses would be to paint them white or another neutral colour. There is an abundance of ex London red buses round the country.

Hire fleets usually are white but perhaps Ensign (is it them?) have painted these red for TfL area rail/tube replacement?

Certainly, some vinyls (perhaps across the top deck windows so as not to damage the paintwork) might have been a good idea as well as adverts?

D2007wsm

Established Member
Hire fleets usually are white but perhaps Ensign (is it them?) have painted these red for TfL area rail/tube replacement?

Certainly, some vinyls (perhaps across the top deck windows so as not to damage the paintwork) might have been a good idea as well as adverts?
They're not from Ensign, they're from Dawson's. Were collected from Milton Keynes.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
And there should be more to come!

Interesting and poses a few questions. Naturally, any idea on IDs/age but also are these loans or are they in place of extra e400s?

What with service cuts (e.g. 18,77), service enhancements (U1 and extra Bath uni requirements), B7Ls seemingly due to go and a delayed Metrobus (?), it is certainly what news correspondents would say is "an emerging picture".

BTW, saw 60914 on the 76 on Friday. One of the shabbiest vehicles I have seen for a long time!

D2007wsm

Established Member
Interesting and poses a few questions. Naturally, any idea on IDs/age but also are these loans or are they in place of extra e400s?

What with service cuts (e.g. 18,77), service enhancements (U1 and extra Bath uni requirements), B7Ls seemingly due to go and a delayed Metrobus (?), it is certainly what news correspondents would say is "an emerging picture".

BTW, saw 60914 on the 76 on Friday. One of the shabbiest vehicles I have seen for a long time!
2 are to supplement the E400s, so the X1-X4 can be fully decker operated again. The other 10 are to replace single deckers on another Weston service. Which in turn, will free up newer singles in some form, which will hopefully finally get rid of the B7Ls.

Apparently they will be 2004/2005 plates. I don't know if this is a stop gap until more E400s or Streetdecks can be sourced.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
2 are to supplement the E400s, so the X1-X4 can be fully decker operated again. The other 10 are to replace single deckers on another Weston service. Which in turn, will free up newer singles in some form, which will hopefully finally get rid of the B7Ls.

Apparently they will be 2004/2005 plates. I don't know if this is a stop gap until more E400s or Streetdecks can be sourced.

There's TWELVE of them coming. Crikey! I'm assuming that the other Weston service can only be the 7 ;)

I did think that with the loss of the 18 and 77 that it would permit the B7Ls to move on anyway? There won't be much that isn't a decker soon :lol:

D2007wsm

Established Member
There's TWELVE of them coming. Crikey! I'm assuming that the other Weston service can only be the 7 ;)

I did think that with the loss of the 18 and 77 that it would permit the B7Ls to move on anyway? There won't be much that isn't a decker soon :lol:
Yep that is what I was told from a reliable source.

Whiteway215

Established Member
What route are the Darts used on in W-s-M? Although Steve reports two of these have come to Bath.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
What route are the Darts used on in W-s-M? Although Steve reports two of these have come to Bath.

Steve reporting that it's a straight swap (sort of) with deckers heading for Weston, losing 2013 Streetlites from Hengrove. Interesting deal (esp when Cymru lost their 2014 ones but got 2012 B9s)!

As for Bath Darts, what replaced those ones now allocated to the U2?

Whiteway215

Established Member

I don't know officially but I assumed some of 32008, 32351/2, 66725/934/6 had indirectly replaced the four Bath Darts now used on the U2. There are still only three Darts in the Unibus purple so far. 42916 was the fourth bus today.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I don't know officially but I assumed some of 32008, 32351/2, 66725/934/6 had indirectly replaced the four Bath Darts now used on the U2. There are still only three Darts in the Unibus purple so far. 42916 was the fourth bus today.

The disposition of vehicles vs. the additional uni vehicles does make it difficult to work it out. 32351 was working the 39 yesterday so didn't hang around!

D2007wsm

Established Member
Usually the Darts are confined to the 3s, but do substitute for Streetlites on the 7s. They do also appear on 5s should an E200 be unavailable and on occasion turn up in Bristol on X6-X9.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Steve reporting that it's a straight swap (sort of) with deckers heading for Weston, losing 2013 Streetlites from Hengrove. Interesting deal (esp when Cymru lost their 2014 ones but got 2012 B9s)!

I agree it is hard to figure it all out, but I think Bath had a bit of a pvr drop after the loss of the 38 so that accounts for a few of the darts.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Usually the Darts are confined to the 3s, but do substitute for Streetlites on the 7s. They do also appear on 5s should an E200 be unavailable and on occasion turn up in Bristol on X6-X9.
If the 64 reg streetlites currently on the 7 are heading up to Glasgow, it might mean that at least a few will stick around for the 3 if the darts have gone to Bath.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
If the 64 reg streetlites currently on the 7 are heading up to Glasgow, it might mean that at least a few will stick around for the 3 if the darts have gone to Bath.

Interesting in that the first ones to go are 63 plates ex Hengrove - ones just coming out of warranty (ahem!)

Had forgotten about the 38 as well. Bath must have a wealth of vehicles ;)

D2007wsm

Established Member
Only 2 have gone so far and I believe Weston had a surplus of Darts, more than required to operated the 3. Hopefully Streetlites may go on to 3s, this would maintain the balance of older vs newer vehicles on town services in Weston.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I give it four weeks until the U2 is converted back to double deckers!

No Vicbury we didn't have to give it four weeks! I decided to have a short trip this afternoon on U2 from Claverton Down. Waited for the 1615 from University and was very surprised to see a pink decker approaching the stop. It was 32008 well loaded and I had to stand-although there were probably seats upstairs. Waited around to see what the 1630 produced, this was 32015 also very well loaded. Feeling very pleased I waited for the 1645-this had 32007 much more room on that one. 32015 has lost Coaster branding. I don't know what was on the fourth working. I wonder what the purple Darts are working on?

Dhassell

Gemini 32351 was on the number 7 around Weston today. That was the only one I spotted, not sure what else was on it.