• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

vicbury

New Scania E400MMCs should be going onto the UWE from Sunday. Sunday also sees the new ticket machines go onto Hengrove services, with Lawrence Hill and Marlborough Street following on the 22ND and Bath, Weston and Wells last on the 29TH.

How soon after can we expect to be able to pay using contactless / Android Pay? I think, following this change, I can become entirely cashless!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vicbury

Several of the brand new Enviro 400s have just headed down Temple Way (towards Hengrove?). The white LED destination displays are very bright!

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
New Scania E400MMCs should be going onto the UWE from Sunday. Sunday also sees the new ticket machines go onto Hengrove services, with Lawrence Hill and Marlborough Street following on the 22ND and Bath, Weston and Wells last on the 29TH.

How soon after can we expect to be able to pay using contactless / Android Pay? I think, following this change, I can become entirely cashless!

Lets hope First will introduce a Pay As You Go option for the Touch card too, as not eveyone wants or uses a smartphone.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Contactless payments should be sometime in the new year. Have not heard what the plans are for the Touch Cards.

vicbury

Lets hope First will introduce a Pay As You Go option for the Touch card too, as not eveyone wants or uses a smartphone.

Would pay as you go smartcards not be replaced by contactless debit or credit cards? I appreciate not all debit cards are contactless yet, but most are. The main benefit of the touchcard could be for those who pay by cash, which they can continue to do on the bus anyway.

D2007wsm

Established Member
The facility for top up of credit on a smart card is on Travel West smartcards in the form of Squid.

Even though contacted Debit and Credit card payments will be accepted, this won't suit everyone. Some people don't have these or don't use the facilitie and a lot of international cards do not have contactless. This would not be suitable for visitors.

Also, contactess has its limitations, for example only 10 contactess transactions can be made, before a compulsory chip and pin transaction is enforced to combat fraud. Not being able to pay contactess may stop a person from travelling.

Also by having a pay as you go facility on a smart card, would benefit those on a low income. A certain amount could be loaded onto the card at regular intervals so the worry of overspending is not there.

Volvodart

Established Member
Also, contactess has its limitations, for example only 10 contactess transactions can be made, before a compulsory chip and pin transaction is enforced to combat fraud. Not being able to pay contactess may stop a person from travelling.

I have never heard of this. I have used contactless on First buses a lot more than 10 times.

D2007wsm

Established Member
I have never heard of this. I have used contactless on First buses a lot more than 10 times.
It is not 10 transactions in a particular outlet, it is 10 consecutive transactions. Generally the 11th needs to be pin verified. It's to stop someone using someone's card loads of times if lost or stolen. With the maximum transaction amount of £30, it insures only around £300 can be spent. It is different for each bank but generally around 10.

We regularly get disgruntled customers when the PDQ machines reject the contactless and have to enter their pin.

ooo

Does anyone know where the electric enviros operate in electric mode now they are on the 48a?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
33792, 33797 and 33971 in use on rail replacement between Newport and Bristol today.

Subsequently, 37332 and 37630 were on 1/2 duties, yet 33971 is on RR. Surely would have just made more sense to send unbranded Geminis on RR?

iantherev

33792, 33797 and 33971 in use on rail replacement between Newport and Bristol today.

Subsequently, 37332 and 37630 were on 1/2 duties, yet 33971 is on RR. Surely would have just made more sense to send unbranded Geminis on RR?
Depends how much time and effort you want to spend retrieving 14year old Gemini’s from the hard shoulder of the M4.

DaveHarries

Established Member
First Bristol must be a bit short on vehicles at the moment: got on a rather full Service 4 this evening from Clifton Down toward Cribbs Causeway worked by WX06 OMP (42957).

Dave

freetoview33

Established Member
First Bristol must be a bit short on vehicles at the moment: got on a rather full Service 4 this evening from Clifton Down toward Cribbs Causeway worked by WX06 OMP (42957).

Dave
There were a fair few singles out today, but about half 7 tonight, I saw a 1 branded e400mmc parked up on Bond Street

henairs

Hi,
32286 is at Wells at the moment. It spent today on Wells Depot but may have worked 376 as this was on the display.
35247 was on the 7 in Weston today along with 32251/252 and another Gemini as well as 66354, 42901 and 4 Streetlites making 10 seen.
Would that be the correct PVR on this route for midweek and is it the same amount on a Saturday please. Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Mike

D2007wsm

Established Member
The PVR for the W7 is:

- 10 vehicles Monday to Saturday
- 5 vehicles Sunday & Public Holidays

Whiteway215

Established Member
The U2 in Bath today seems to have been promoted to E400MMC operation as at least two are on there today. Seems as if decker use is still necessary.

vicbury

The U2 in Bath today seems to have been promoted to E400MMC operation as at least two are on there today. Seems as if decker use is still necessary.
I would hazard a guess that it will be necessary for at least the autumn and spring terms!

In more positive news:

Bus driver hailed a hero after using it to 'shield' woman lying on busy Bath road

"A bus driver has been hailed a hero after using his bus to protect a woman who had fallen in the middle of a busy Bath road.

Nana Boateng was ferrying passengers from the Newbridge Park and Ride when he saw a woman lying in the middle of Upper Bristol Road on Thursday afternoon (October 19)."
Also, First has launched a consultation to change the route of the 5 in Bath, in response to buses colliding with parked cars. I would suggest that the parked cars should be moved, and not the bus!

THarris123

Established Member
32286 out on 376 today between Street /Bristol. MikeR
Its been there all week and is likely to be there for a bit of time - one of the Streetdecks had an incident. Not sure if 47544 is still in Wells - it was at the beginning of the week and was there for a while too.

32286 is parked up today in depot

THarris123

Established Member
Its been there all week and is likely to be there for a bit of time - one of the Streetdecks had an incident. Not sure if 47544 is still in Wells - it was at the beginning of the week and was there for a while too.

32286 is parked up today in depot
Correction to that - 47544 is back in Bath, on 1 this evening

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Had a couple of appointments today so took the day off on hols and spent some time with a day ticket in the Bristol 'burbs. Will try to be concise.

Drove to Briz P&R and got the 0800 run into town, with 33937 doing the honours. The plan was to get the first bus into Clifton and I was lucky that it happened to be Biobus 39401 - first time on it and first impressions - powerful and quiet. The reduced headroom was apparent on the top deck but overall, a very good machine. Look forward to more of them appearing in future years. After appointments in Clifton Down, was back out to get the U1 to Stoke Bishop to experience a new Scania with 36811 appearing. Very, very comfortable though noticeably, some damage by the students already and some alarming creaks as we travelled.

After decamping, I made my way arcing around the northern suburbs via Shire (32093) to Henbury (32084) and so Southmead (32353). Observations were whilst the Gemini had the Bath fleetname crudely removed, they hadn't changed the ads for the Bath day ticket etc by the entrance, parlous loadings seen on Stagecoach's 77, and the refurb of the ALXs is confined just to the seats - the rest is as was. "Highlight" though was travelling via Lawrence Weston, where two women got on. They were a couple yet that didn't stop one (the mouthy one) saying she may "go back to men", and then liberal use of the F and C words, then making a cryptic phone call (sounded like her dealer - she seemed a poster girl for heroin chic) before they like me, got off at Crow Lane before they began kissing passionately just behind the bus shelter - a surreal 10 mins there and not the best advert for public transport!

From Southmead, 47547 to Lockleaze though the 72 was 20 mins late (and the 24's were suffering from delay or cancellation) before 66342 turned up - not bad externally though very tired inside. Surprised the B7Ls are still around! Had the first opportunity to experience the Romney Avenue link - hardly worth the wait (in so many ways).

Quick change onto another new Scania (36817) on the UWE Express - really impressive vehicles though the lack of a dedicated livery/branded is surprising. Onto the 71 to Ashton Gate (37616 rather than a Streetdeck) following 66301 on an Abus X8 working through Hotwells. Two Stagecoach Falcons seen - the back up Profile and a Megabus Elite. Walked past the Metrobus works by Winterstoke Road before getting 47568 on the 24 back into town - a section of route new to me. Then 42961 on the 36 from Horsefair - decent machine and a half decent load on one of the lesser services past the many closed pubs in Barton Hill and St George. Off at Wick Road library, was just in time to get a 1 (33952) through Sandy Park - the e400mmcs really are good vehicles and have to say Sandy Park is now getting quite funky! The Sandringham is still home to the great and good though. Got back to TMeads with 32638 in rude health working the X39 - clearly well regarded at Bath as this batch seem to work the X39 regularly - and this got me back to the P&R.

Sorry for the seemingly endless list of numbers but was really just to experience the new Scanias and to travel on a few bits of route and parts of the city less familiar to me. Hope it was of interest

D2007wsm

Established Member
A B7TL was loaned today to Abus to operate the X8 due to a shortage of there own vehicles. I do not know if this is a one off or a longer term loan, similar when they borrowed a withdrawn Dart (40835) to operate the X9.

I did not catch the fleet number, but it is in Barbie. At least as a First branded service, it looks more professional than the mismatch of liveries Abus has, particularly on the Citaros. A start was made for there fleet operating the Nailsea service to be painted into the Express Yourself livery but this never came to fruition. Th Optare Tempo is fully branded in this livery with the MCV Evolution in unbranded base livery. The Citarios certainley look tatty, although one was painted but I haven't seen that for a while. I wonder when there buses will be Excelled to match the rest of the North Somerset services and the timetables?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
A B7TL was loaned today to Abus to operate the X8 due to a shortage of there own vehicles. I do not know if this is a one off or a longer term loan, similar when they borrowed a withdrawn Dart (40835) to operate the X9.

I did not catch the fleet number, but it is in Barbie. At least as a First branded service, it looks more professional than the mismatch of liveries Abus has, particularly on the Citaros. A start was made for there fleet operating the Nailsea service to be painted into the Express Yourself livery but this never came to fruition. Th Optare Tempo is fully branded in this livery with the MCV Evolution in unbranded base livery. The Citarios certainley look tatty, although one was painted but I haven't seen that for a while. I wonder when there buses will be Excelled to match the rest of the North Somerset services and the timetables?

It was 66301 as per my post above. Also, it's a B7L rather than B7TL (sorry for pedantry)

60914 was working the A1 as well

Whiteway215

Established Member
Dear GW thanks for your interesting log. Was it 47547 to Lockleaze only that is/was a BH one?