• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

D2007wsm

Established Member
It was 66301 as per my post above. Also, it's a B7L rather than B7TL (sorry for pedantry)

60914 was working the A1 as well
You must have posted when I was posting as your post wasn't there when I hit 'Post Reply'.

The A1 has had all sorts on it all week including Geminis

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D2007wsm

Established Member
I think atm with the A1s it is generally whatever B7 in either form they can lay their hands on. Up until Hengrove received B7RLEs the B7Ls were the regular substitute, they don't like sticking Streetlites onto it. Mindful I did see a Dart on it not so long ago.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Nice touch by First WoE, a lot of the Bristol fleet appearing with plastic poppies on the front for the RBL Poppie Appeal. I wonder if this will be fleet wide as yet to see any Bath, Wells or Weston busses with these.

g4mby

New Scania E400MMCs should be going onto the UWE from Sunday. Sunday also sees the new ticket machines go onto Hengrove services, with Lawrence Hill and Marlborough Street following on the 22ND and Bath, Weston and Wells last on the 29TH.
I travelled on a number of LH/MH and HE services today (27th) but I only saw the new ticket machines on Hengrove vehicles.

For anyone with an iPhone please note, if you have a credit/debit card registered under Apple Pay then your mTicket won't scan, mTickets now include a QR code in addition to the alternating time and "word of the day". Your phone will display your default Apple Pay card rather than your mTicket when you put it under the scanner. If you remove your bank cards from Apple Pay your mTicket should scan within a second or two as mine did once I worked out what the problem might be.

Now I know why I have been having similar problems with Tesco's Pay+. :lol:

Isn't technology wonderful? o_O

Last edited:

D2007wsm

Established Member
I travelled on a number of LH/MH and HE services today (27th) but I only saw the new ticket machines on Hengrove vehicles.

For anyone with an iPhone please note, if you have a credit/debit card registered under Apple Pay then your mTicket won't scan, mTickets now include a QR code in addition to the alternating time and "word of the day". Your phone will display your default Apple Pay card rather than your mTicket when you put it under the scanner. If you remove your bank cards from Apple Pay your mTicket should scan within a second or two as mine did once I worked out what the problem might be.

The introduction of the Ticketers being introduced was put back a week to the initial plan. Hengrove was last weekend, Lawrence Hill and Marlborough Street should be this coming Sunday and Bath, Wells and Weston next Sunday.

Not only do the Mtickets now have QR codes, FirstDay, FirstWeek and FirstMonth tickets will have these which need to be scanned when boarding.

vicbury

Simpler solution: just turn off NFC on your phone before scanning the QR code. That way you don't need to keep removing and adding cards to Apple Pay / Android Pay etc.

Not tried it yet on my phone (which has Android Pay). However, I believe Android Pay should not pop up unless the receiving device is trying to take a payment, which the ticket machine should not be doing when scanning an mTicket.

So either the system needs looking at, or we can use the workaround of temporarily switching off NFC.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Two purple Darts from Bath 42897 and 42899 are now in Weston, RUMOURED to be used on the 20s now that the winter 2 bus timetable is in operation. Rather than the open top and purple B7s.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Two purple Darts from Bath 42897 and 42899 are now in Weston, RUMOURED to be used on the 20s now that the winter 2 bus timetable is in operation. Rather than the open top and purple B7s.
I've certainly not seen either of these in use in Bath during October.Of course these were repainted along with 42910 for use on Bath's U2 but deckers took over very quickly after the start of the service in September. WM 32015 has already transferred back to Bath, perhaps 32014 might follow??

D2007wsm

Established Member
The two Darts listed above are parked in Weston Depot, the third is supposed to be arriving soon. The purple B7 deckers have gone to Bath in exchange for the Darts. The 20 today was solely in the hands of the open toppers.

D2007wsm

Established Member
The Ticketers are now on the Marlborough Street and Lawrence Hill fleets. Just Bath, Wells and Weston to follow hopefully next Saturday night and we see the back of the Almexs.

spw24

The two Darts listed above are parked in Weston Depot, the third is supposed to be arriving soon. The purple B7 deckers have gone to Bath in exchange for the Darts. The 20 today was solely in the hands of the open toppers.
32006 was seen this morning moving to Bath.

Stompehh

Simpler solution: just turn off NFC on your phone before scanning the QR code. That way you don't need to keep removing and adding cards to Apple Pay / Android Pay etc.

Not tried it yet on my phone (which has Android Pay). However, I believe Android Pay should not pop up unless the receiving device is trying to take a payment, which the ticket machine should not be doing when scanning an mTicket.

So either the system needs looking at, or we can use the workaround of temporarily switching off NFC.
Had this issue today. Android pay did not pop up on the phone but the card reader detected 'something' and tried to read it instead of the QR code. Can confirm that switching off NFC works, not ideal though!

vicbury

Had this issue today. Android pay did not pop up on the phone but the card reader detected 'something' and tried to read it instead of the QR code. Can confirm that switching off NFC works, not ideal though!
Glad that worked! Has anyone raised this with First? Seems to be a fundamental flaw in the system that needs to be resolved.

g4mby

NFC can't be switched off on iPhones: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7145210?start=0&tstart=0. Doesn't bother me as I've never actually used Apple Pay.
Glad that worked! Has anyone raised this with First? Seems to be a fundamental flaw in the system that needs to be resolved.
I would hope that any such flaws were found in testing and that the details have been or will be passed down the line to drivers so they can advise passengers how to overcome or work around the problem.

I have seen several warnings on my mTicket app to say that mTickets are not compatible with Apple Pay. Until the QR codes appeared it was a warning that I could ignore. Perhaps the warning should be a little more informative?

THarris123

Established Member
Not sure if anyone has noticed on spw24s website - 66992/3 have been withdrawn to be converted into trainers. Think thats the youngest fleet I've known of to go into training.

carlberry

Established Member
Not sure if anyone has noticed on spw24s website - 66992/3 have been withdrawn to be converted into trainers. Think thats the youngest fleet I've known of to go into training.
They're 11 years old and the dual doors make them none standard with limited seating capacity. Cardiff Bus did convert some very youthful darts a while back (5 years old I think) to ensure that drivers were trained in something that they'd actually drive instead of life expired vehicles.

ashworth

Established Member
I thought I’d ask my question about fares here rather than start another thread.

I’m visiting Bristol for few days towards the end of this month and as I’m leaving my car at home and travelling down from Nottinghamshire by train I will be using buses to explore the area for a few days.

As it will only be for 4 days of travel I will be purchasing paper versions of day tickets, buying them from the driver on the first bus that I travel on each day. Looking at the prices, I might as well get a Bristol Rider or an Avon Rider instead of the First only tickets as they are only about 70p more and will allow more flexibility. Am I likely to experience any difficulty in purchasing or using these tickets?
Earlier this year when visiting Manchester I used a Manchester Wayfarer and I had two occasions when First drivers up there refused to accept it.

Dhassell

It shouldn't too hard to get a Bristol/Avon Rider. Last time I had one issued it only took a minute or two searching. You shouldn't have issues with it being accepted on first bus routes, if it is issued on a first bus, nor should you have issue with Abus, as there is many partnerships between the two. I would keep the website open to show proof if the driver is being a bit funny about it!

When I last used the Avon Rider, back in April 2016, The only issue I had was in Bath, trying to board the A4 Air Decker service as far as Keynsham, this is a valid journey on this route, as it states on the website, but the driver was having none of it, saying my ticket price didn't match his machine, even though I told him 5 or more times it was a child ticket. Eventually I jumped off and got the extremely slower First Bus back towards Keynsham and onwards to Bristol... (I think the A4 is only valid on the AvonRider and not Bristol Rider, I had the Avon version.)

I would recommend trying to get your ticket on a bus departing the bus station or where the bus starts/terminates its journey if possible, so the driver does not become late searching for it. If not, it isn't really your problem if they don't know where it is! Just trying to be nice to the staff.

I have not had any other experiences and can't comment on any other operators, I am sure someone else can! Just don't be surprised if some drivers want to take a second look at it.

Have a good time!

carlberry

Established Member
I thought I’d ask my question about fares here rather than start another thread.

I’m visiting Bristol for few days towards the end of this month and as I’m leaving my car at home and travelling down from Nottinghamshire by train I will be using buses to explore the area for a few days.

As it will only be for 4 days of travel I will be purchasing paper versions of day tickets, buying them from the driver on the first bus that I travel on each day. Looking at the prices, I might as well get a Bristol Rider or an Avon Rider instead of the First only tickets as they are only about 70p more and will allow more flexibility. Am I likely to experience any difficulty in purchasing or using these tickets?
Earlier this year when visiting Manchester I used a Manchester Wayfarer and I had two occasions when First drivers up there refused to accept it.
I've had quite a few Avon Rider tickets over the years. mostly not issued by First and never had an issue. Even one incident where what I ended up with was two parts of a ticket and a driver's signature (thanks to Severnside Transport!) was accepted by First drivers after they'd had aread of it. Make sure you confirm the price before you pay for it as some drivers will still try to sell you their rover ticket instead!

ooo

If you are coming down after the 12th of November adult Bristol rider tickets will actually be the same price as First Bristol Day Tickets bought with cash.

I haven't heard of any issues with the Bristol Rider tickets but others may have had different experiences.

D2007wsm

Established Member
An Avon Rider currently is actually 30p cheaper at £7.20 rather than £7.50 for a FirstDay West of England, except on the Mticket where is is £7.00.

A driver shouldn't have a problem with accepting a Bristol/Avon Rider as if it is issued by First, it'll have a QR code and the Ticketer will decide whether it is valid or not. Unless there is a problem, the driver will not even see the ticket.

ashworth

Established Member
Thanks for all of that useful information. I just couldn’t see the point of getting First only tickets when these multi operator tickets at similar prices are also available. I remember when I was in Essex last year there was a multi operator Essex Saver Ticket available for approx the same price as a First Essex Day but First didn’t advertise it and would try to sell you one of their own tickets instead.

So many helpful people in these forums who can supply information which often is not easy to find online or indeed at bus stations.

Last edited:

D2007wsm

Established Member
I can understand why the multi operator tickets are not overly promoted by operators, a percentage of each ticket sold goes to each operator in the scheme. Where as if an operator's own product is sold e.g. a FirstDay as aposed to a Bristol Rider, the operator would keep 100% of the revenue.

In a business sense, it's a no brainer to offer the operator's own products unless specifically asked otherwise.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Yes, I had noticed that, and yes surprisingly young for it. But I must say they've never really had much of a role anywhere, they've done spells on various services but never for too long, just not very suitable for much so can partly see why.
Also see that the three purple darts 42987/9/910 will be moving to Weston shortly. Not really sure what the point in all that was....

D2007wsm

Established Member
The powers that be probably felt that Darts would suffice for the U2, when they clearly can't. Swapping them for the purple B7s from Weston makes sense as they are the right colour allready for the U2 just sans branding and the 20 doesn't need the capacity of a decker for much of the winter, where a Dart would be more than adequate. 32002 was still plying it's trade in the 20 though yesterday morning.