• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I personally think for 2018 -

Streetdeck's stay on the 376
903, X73, X48 are Scrapped.
73 goes to every 12 mins
New buses for X39, 42 - 45 and M3
Metrobus Starts
A2 is a new route from BRS - Bedminster Parade using a couple of the old Airport B7s
More of the Bath City branding.
Reduced service of 36, 75, 76 and 90
Wessex finishing up and routes going to Stagecoach.
More branding for 3/4, 9 , 24, UWE,

I suspect the A2 might be the Streetlites used on the A3 currently.

The 73 may well be affected by the North Fringe Metrobus route taking much of that traffic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D2007wsm

Established Member

73 goes to every 12 mins
Metrobus Starts
A2 is a new route from BRS - Bedminster Parade using a couple of the old Airport B7s
The A2 in whatever form it operates will use the Streetlites currently used on the A3 as these are allready painted in to the current Airport Flyer livery, the B7RLEs are not.

As soon as the E200MMCs enter service on the A3 (Which should be soon) a Streetlite will be used on the A2 in its reduced current form, with the second heading to Hengrove.

vicbury

73 goes to every 12 mins
Metrobus Starts

Agreed on your first two points.
Not sure if 73 will increase - from my ocassional use it never seems overly busy.
New buses for X39 - maybe the Enviro 400s that were on the U1 (Bristol) / UWE / A1 (temporarily). Can't remember if there are enough though.
New buses for the 42-45 will almost certainly come through the batch of gas buses in my opinion.
As with D2007WSM, I would expect that the A2 would use the branded Streetlites.
Hopefully further Bath City branding will be in different colours - not keen on the blue on the 5. I'm not keen on the branding being done in Weston-super-Mare either - I'll post a ramble about it at some point.
For the 3/4 - maybe the buses on the 1/2 or 48/49 will be displaced by gas buses - at this stage I would expect it to be branded.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Agreed on your first two points.
Not sure if 73 will increase - from my ocassional use it never seems overly busy.
New buses for X39 - maybe the Enviro 400s that were on the U1 (Bristol) / UWE / A1 (temporarily). Can't remember if there are enough though.
New buses for the 42-45 will almost certainly come through the batch of gas buses in my opinion.
As with D2007WSM, I would expect that the A2 would use the branded Streetlites.
Hopefully further Bath City branding will be in different colours - not keen on the blue on the 5. I'm not keen on the branding being done in Weston-super-Mare either - I'll post a ramble about it at some point.
For the 3/4 - maybe the buses on the 1/2 or 48/49 will be displaced by gas buses - at this stage I would expect it to be branded.
There are 9 Scania E400s operating on the A1 with the last bus or any maintenence being covered by the B7RLES and quite often B9 Geminis at the weekend. I'm not sure what the PVR of the X39.

These are the short height version which were ordered with future Metrobus work in mind, hence the Scania chassis. Any other new decker apart from the A1 buses which will use the new Metrobus route are generally regular E400MMCs in either configuration.

The branding being implemented is a vast improvment on what we have seen in the past. The Excel branding while not everyone's cup of tea, is bright and modern and certainley stands out. While it was a bit of a shock the first time I seen one, I do quite like it now. It does look impressive seeing a row of them on the bays in the Bus station. it is also much better than Express Yourself which was a bit drab.

D2007wsm

Established Member
67108 one new 200’s our on the A3 today just leaving Weston.
That may be a test or type training. Type training for the drivers was due to begin this week. Was supposed to be the 14th they were going out.

It may have been a marketing oppurtunity also.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
There are 9 Scania E400s operating on the A1 with the last bus or any maintenence being covered by the B7RLES and quite often B9 Geminis at the weekend. I'm not sure what the PVR of the X39.

X39 was 11 when the Streetlites were delivered but believe it's now 12.

Had to some stuff to do in Cribbs, Clifton and Bristol and am without car so £6 day ticket from Bath meant saw a few intriguing workings. 69508 was still working the A1 (only B7RLE I saw on there). Passed through Banjo Island on the 19 and saw 37347 laying over....with 36817 arriving behind it NIS? 42898 was laying over at Cherry Gardens. 32691 working the 5, and a couple of B9s working the 36!

DaveHarries

Established Member
On the subject of X39s I passed an inbound X(?)39 this evening (Wednesday 3rd) at Three Lamps at about 7:45pm giving its destination as Temple Meads Station.

Dave

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
36818 was also on the 45 yesterday evening. One was also used on the 17 during the Christmas period.

I should say that I did actually have quite a nice trip out yesterday with some variety of traction! Joined my better half on her morning commute and got the P&R from Odd Down into Bath. Then the first of a selection of older vehicles that were cosmetically quite tired internally and yet had an absence of rattles etc in 32281 on the 19 (hence Banjo Island). Got 32691 on the 5 from Downend (only as I'd never done that bit of route through Oldbury Court) - odd to see a Gemini without eLeather with threadbare seating instead. Then off at Fishponds and only 39192 into town. Sadly, didn't get 39401 to ensure I'd done all the hybrid/bio/electric variants in a day!!!

Then off to Cribbs on 66937. It's tired inside but what a lovely machine. No bangs, creaks or rattles etc and sounded in very good nick. After sorting out Xmas present returns, to Clifton on 37326, and after my medical appointment, into town on 33954. Shame the U1 isn't running til Monday :|. Then back to Radstock on the 178 which was reasonably loaded with 66938 - again, a decent machine!

Those two ex Bath Eclipses were two of the best examples of that era that I can recall - yes, even better than 66720/6. Odd when you think of the usual standard of Bath vehicles. As ever, it's the lack of a paintjob and the threadbare, faded seating that most will see. Makes you wonder if they're waiting for some other OpCo to spend the money ;)

Dhassell

One of the new Enviro 200MMC's for the A3 in Weston where running around the town centre today. SN67 WYW 67108

Attachments

• IMG_20180104_120235390.jpg
    IMG_20180104_120235390.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42

D2007wsm

Established Member
The drivers who drive the A3 are being type trained on them this week and next so they are ready for when they are introduced onto the A3. All they need now is to be branded.

The outing with one yesterday was to test them on the route and at the Airport.

Private Baxter

Established Member
That batch is well split up! As well as FWoE, they’re in Wales, Glasgow, Dorset and now Essex!
Wonder why MH are getting rid of two of their B7RLEs and what might be coming in their place. 66719 is definitely one of the better ones (imo) and a bit of trivia is the only bus to have been based at one point or another, all FSA depots, including two stints at MH.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Wonder why MH are getting rid of two of their B7RLEs and what might be coming in their place. 66719 is definitely one of the better ones (imo) and a bit of trivia is the only bus to have been based at one point or another, all FSA depots, including two stints at MH.

Wonder if it means that the 46 (or is it the X46 that's usually SD operated) will be operated by deckers? Often mentioned how it struggles in peak.

At least 66719 will get a much needed repaint when it heads to Essex!

g4mby

Wonder if it means that the 46 (or is it the X46 that's usually SD operated) will be operated by deckers? Often mentioned how it struggles in peak.
According to my records LH/MH have 13 B7RLEs left. I think 2 for the 46, 5 for the 78/79, 2 for the 82 and 3 for the 177/178 so only just enough. May be that's why I've seen a few DDs on the 46 lately.

It's the X46 that is always DD operated and interworks with the X49.

freetoview33

Established Member
According to my records LH/MH have 13 B7RLEs left. I think 2 for the 46, 5 for the 78/79, 2 for the 82 and 3 for the 177/178 so only just enough. May be that's why I've seen a few DDs on the 46 lately.

I'm surprised the 78/79 haven't been changed to double deckers on weekdays. As the weekends are normally doubled anyway

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'm surprised the 78/79 haven't been changed to double deckers on weekdays. As the weekends are normally doubled anyway

They only deckered because they're spare at the weekend, not because of loadings

Thanks for that - can never remember. I blame old age :'(

D2007wsm

Established Member

At least 66719 will get a much needed repaint when it heads to Essex!
With the services changes on Sunday no dought some deckers will be freed up, which will be used to replace these. Certain journeys on the 78 and 79 can get very busy.

There are also further allocation changes to happen over the next couple of weeks.

DaveHarries

Established Member
One of the new Enviro 200MMC's for the A3 in Weston where running around the town centre today. SN67 WYW 67108
Had my first ever ride on an Enviro200 MMC today, a Stagecoach Gold one between Tonypandy and Porth over in South Wales. Good ride I thought: certainly better, IMO, than the older Enviro200s. For anyone wondering the one I was on for that ride was 26183, YX67 UZT.

Dave

Private Baxter

Established Member
Thanks for that - can never remember. I blame old age :'(
It's ok, I can never remember whether it's 46 or X46 either! Have never used either. Didn't know X46 interworks with X49 though!
Yes I'm sure certain MH single deck boards could probably go decker, which might explain the disappearing fleet. Have noticed deckers on the 82 fairly frequently this past week, a route which doesn't really strike me as needing them. Look forward to seeing what allocation changes are coming.

g4mby

Didn't know X46 interworks with X49 though!
For most of the day it does. The X46 takes 45 minutes or so from MH to Yate. The X49 takes 60 or more minutes so the hourly service would need more than two buses if the routes didn't interwork. At MH an incoming X46 is used for the outbound X49. Then 5 or 10 minutes later the incoming X49 is used for the outbound X46. Both services arrive and depart at Yate at almost the same time as each other.

This was made possible when the X46 was changed to terminate at Yate rather than continue to Chipping Sodbury (around 10 minutes journey time Yate-CS and back) as it originally did when the service was first introduced. Time keeping for both services has improved a lot since then.

However, this arrangement does confuse some passengers at MH when drivers forget to change the display from X46 to X49 or v.v. :lol:

Private Baxter

Established Member
For most of the day it does. The X46 takes 45 minutes or so from MH to Yate. The X49 takes 60 or more minutes so the hourly service would need more than two buses if the routes didn't interwork. At MH an incoming X46 is used for the outbound X49. Then 5 or 10 minutes later the incoming X49 is used for the outbound X46. Both services arrive and depart at Yate at almost the same time as each other.

This was made possible when the X46 was changed to terminate at Yate rather than continue to Chipping Sodbury (around 10 minutes journey time Yate-CS and back) as it originally did when the service was first introduced. Time keeping for both services has improved a lot since then.

However, this arrangement does confuse some passengers at MH when drivers forget to change the display from X46 to X49 or v.v. :lol:
Thanks for explaining. One of the more complex operations it would seem.

D2007wsm

Established Member
The new bus stop outside of the Bristol Hippodrome is finally being used. As of this morning, all of the North Somerset services will revert to this stop rather than the temporary stop further along the City Centre outside the Church opposite the Cenotaph. City services will continue to serve this stop.

D2007wsm

Established Member
10 B7 Geminis were transferred to Weston yesterday for the 7s all of the 323** variety.