• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

vicbury

Note use of the word "improvement" in the description of the works. In truth should say "what the council considers to be an improvement".

Dave
Generally seems sensible e.g. North Street renamed as Stokes Croft; however, calling Baldwin Street 'The Centre' is stretching the definition of the centre a bit!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D2007wsm

Established Member
From Hengrove after the 76 changes? More Streetlites to head north?
I dont know what is happening with the Streetlites, but 10 Geminis went down to Weston yesterday from Hengrove freed up by the service changes.

No news on what the Streetlites will be doing or where they will be heading as yet.

I also do not know what is happening with the ex Glasgow B7s Weston received, if they we're sent to Hengrove, if they are to be moved on somewhere else or some retained to bolster the Excel fleet until some more E400s can be sourced. Stopping Streetlites having to be used on the X1-X4s.

Further allocation changes should happen this weekend with the non Bristol service changes so watch this space.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Yes 10 323** B7 Geminis are in Weston, but no news on what's happening to the Streetlites or the ex Glasgow B7s. Presumably all will become clearer soon.

Expect further allocation changes next week after the non Bristol service changes. Watch this space.

vicbury

In case anyone did not notice on the main FirstGroup thread, accounts have been published for First West of England (formerly Somerset & Avon), and First Bristol.

West of England shows an operating loss of £7.7m in 2016/17, up from £2.2m in 2015/16.

Bristol shows an operating profit of £4.1m in 2016/17, up from £1.1m in 2015/16.

Both companies ultimately incurred loses after adjustments for pension schemes - West of England £10.6m, and Bristol £3.0m.

Might we expect further cuts of marginal services outside of Bristol?

spw24

Yes 10 323** B7 Geminis are in Weston, but no news on what's happening to the Streetlites or the ex Glasgow B7s. Presumably all will become clearer soon.

Expect further allocation changes next week after the non Bristol service changes. Watch this space.

32356 is one that moved it was on the X2 this afternoon.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Moving 10 deckers from Bristol to Weston seems like a lot for the 7, especially with the ex Glasgow vehicles already there.

As you say, it may become more apparent as other changes are enacted.

In other news, see on Flickr that BOS 40581/94 being cut up at PVS in Barnsley.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Moving 10 deckers from Bristol to Weston seems like a lot for the 7, especially with the ex Glasgow vehicles already there.

As you say, it may become more apparent as other changes are enacted.
10 vehicles is the PVR of the 7, so enough to operate the service in its entirety.

As far as I am aware, they had recieve 4 B7s from Glasgow. These could be used by Weston to supliment the E400s on Excel Services as there are currently not enough, moved on elsewhere or retained for use on the 20s rather than transfering purple 320**s back from Bath alongside 32001 & 32002 when the increased headway comes into force.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
10 vehicles is the PVR of the 7, so enough to operate the service in its entirety.

As far as I am aware, they had recieve 4 B7s from Glasgow. These could be used by Weston to supliment the E400s on Excel Services as there are currently not enough, moved on elsewhere or retained for use on the 20s rather than transfering purple 320**s back from Bath alongside 32001 & 32002 when the increased headway comes into force.

The 7 pvr from next week looks like 8?

Going off your earlier confirmation on excel requirements, shouldn’t there be sufficient e400s now they’ve got 33666/7/750 (though perhaps a paint float or two to finish the Excel repaints)?

The swapping of vehicles between the U2 and 20 makes sense but just seems a bit keen to have 14 extra deckers at WM though depends how the things pan out. When does the enhanced 20 timetable kick in?

Private Baxter

Established Member
Rather unusual one yesterday evening was streetdeck 35112 working the 82 towards Southmead. This was followed by a rather full dart 42896 heading towards Yate.

83G/84D

Established Member
I have been looking back at some old photo's of mine and came across this one of a white Volvo at Weston depot in January 2016. I presume it was a dealer loan but can anyone confirm if this was the case and was it allocated a fleet number?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC02076.JPG
    DSC02076.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 18

g4mby

I have been looking back at some old photo's of mine and came across this one of a white Volvo at Weston depot in January 2016. I presume it was a dealer loan but can anyone confirm if this was the case and was it allocated a fleet number?
69588 was one of a small batch supplied to FS&A due to a delay in delivery of other Wright vehicles I seem to remember. The rest went to Bath.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
69588 was one of a small batch supplied to FS&A due to a delay in delivery of other Wright vehicles I seem to remember. The rest went to Bath.

You remember correctly. Wright were behind in their deliveries so it affected First's cascade plan. Think the ex Norwich B7Ls were delayed, being required for replacement of non PSVAR compliant B10BLEs. Hence, 69588 went to Weston and 69589 BG14OPF, 69590 BG14OOH, 69591 BG14OOU, 69592 BG14OOV, and 69593 BD14KXR arrived at Bath for December 2015

They all had air-con having worked for Malta Public Transport as BUS371, BUS365, BUS353, BUS355, BUS356, BUS366 and all headed to Somerset Passenger Solutions afterwards.

83G/84D

Established Member
You remember correctly. Wright were behind in their deliveries so it affected First's cascade plan. Think the ex Norwich B7Ls were delayed, being required for replacement of non PSVAR compliant B10BLEs. Hence, 69588 went to Weston and 69589 BG14OPF, 69590 BG14OOH, 69591 BG14OOU, 69592 BG14OOV, and 69593 BD14KXR arrived at Bath for December 2015

They all had air-con having worked for Malta Public Transport as BUS371, BUS365, BUS353, BUS355, BUS356, BUS366 and all headed to Somerset Passenger Solutions afterwards.

Thanks for the information, very useful indeed- cheers.

D2007wsm

Established Member
The 7 pvr from next week looks like 8?

Going off your earlier confirmation on excel requirements, shouldn’t there be sufficient e400s now they’ve got 33666/7/750 (though perhaps a paint float or two to finish the Excel repaints)?

The swapping of vehicles between the U2 and 20 makes sense but just seems a bit keen to have 14 extra deckers at WM though depends how the things pan out. When does the enhanced 20 timetable kick in?
The original intention with the 7 was to operate at a reduced frequency using the same PVR, to account for the extra time required loading due to it being a decker and to provide more running time.

Streetlites are still appearing on the Excel services, plus B7s so what with paint floats and maintenence spares at the moment the extra deckers are still needed. But as reported at least one of the ex Glasgow B7s is at Hengrove so who knows.

Generally the enhanced 20 timetable starts around Easter.

swifty

Established Member
I thought I was going mad this morning, got on a blue Brislington P&R bus and the interior branding was green and the back window had Portway across the back.

Turns out 33936 (YX66WDZ) has been repainted blue, which would explain the few B9s on P&R the last few days.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I thought I was going mad this morning, got on a blue Brislington P&R bus and the interior branding was green and the back window had Portway across the back.

Turns out 33936 (YX66WDZ) has been repainted blue, which would explain the few B9s on P&R the last few days.

Curious - no change to frequency etc on either route?

Just heading into Baff on the soon to go 171 - rather than the expected Dart, a very rattly 44521 doing the honours.

Also, just passed a former Stagecoach Manchester Olympian R744DRJ painted in an overall French blue livery but no fleetnames.

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
Curious - no change to frequency etc on either route?

Just heading into Baff on the soon to go 171 - rather than the expected Dart, a very rattly 44521 doing the honours.

Also, just passed a former Stagecoach Manchester Olympian R744DRJ painted in an overall French blue livery but no fleetnames.
Don't forget 44521 is the one that was attempted to be driven through the low arch at Twerton in 2014 and needed extensive repairs.I reckon it's entitled to be rattly!

carlberry

Established Member
Don't forget 44521 is the one that was attempted to be driven through the low arch at Twerton in 2014 and needed extensive repairs.I reckon it's entitled to be rattly!
I would have thought that would have offered an opportunity to fix the rattles that had developed, perhaps not!

carlberry

Established Member

From my (unscientific) observations the spare one is used quite often on the Brislington runs however I've never seen it on the Portway. Also the continued work at Temple Meads must mean the schedule on the Bris run is even worse than usual so I suppose it makes sense.

swifty

Established Member
The spare is working with 33936 on Briz P&R!

IIRC the PVR for the Portway was the same all day, where as Bris has an extra bus at peaks which was why there was one less Blue bus than the PVR. The grey one would usually end up on all day boards so it makes sense to paint up an extra blue one!

Whiteway215

Established Member
Maybe now the fabled Streetlites can go to Bath for the 4?
No ex WM Streetlites in Bath today. Nine BH Darts seen out and about today so that hasn't changed (yet). There was a Dart on the 179 and TGW had 44521 on the 171. Got that the wrong way around then!