• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

D2007wsm

Established Member
End of an era, Muller Road depot now gone. The last time I got on the 70 about a month ago it was still there. Now it's gone!

The bus stops there called "Muller Road Depot" ought to be renamed now the depot has gone. The same goes for some other bus stops, where the original buildings/businesses have now long since gone. For instance Filton Police Station, that's been gone about 5 years now! And King George VI(on Filton Avenue), the pub has been gone a while now, and in it's place is Brewer's Decorator Centre.
The flag outside Weston Depot still reads 'Badgerline Depot'.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
Last edited:

Private Baxter

Established Member
Has the Tavern gone then? I remember drinking there when I worked in the offices the other side of the railway. (Off topic, sorry).

Stops named after landmarks which no longer exist could make a fruitful trivia topic so I’ve started a new thread.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...after-landmarks-which-no-longer-exist.164480/
Yes I noticed the bus announcements change just recently. From what I understand the pub closed a few years ago. I moved to the area three years ago and it had gone then, leaving just the very pleasant Beaufort Arms on the other side.

Another one is Cow and Gate factory in Wells, which had been demolished years before the streetdecks arrived!

freetoview33

Established Member

carlberry

Established Member
Quite surprised that M2 is now due to start before the M1 despite all the problems they been having with problems testing the guideway
It's likely that most of the 'problems' are over negative reporting from the Post. It's easy to make adjusting a few clearances in a few places into 'new guide way buses cant fit as road is the wrong size'. Some proper PR from the Metrobus team would be useful instead of the white noise they rely on most of the time. I suspect the M1's delay is building the gas supply and buses, plus recruiting enough drivers.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Looks like one of Bath's Darts has found it's way to Weston as there is a Barbie Dart in Weston Depot. It is a while since a Barbie vehicle has been in Weston. All 3 of the purple ex U2 Darts are also there. Nothing else out of the ordinary and definatley nothing painted in a new livery.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Looks like one of Bath's Darts has found it's way to Weston as there is a Barbie Dart in Weston Depot. It is a while since a Barbie vehicle has been in Weston. All 3 of the purple ex U2 Darts are also there. Nothing else out of the ordinary and definatley nothing painted in a new livery.
Are the purple Darts just in store there or in use?

D2007wsm

Established Member
Are the purple Darts just in store there or in use?
As far as I am aware they are used infrequently on service nowadays, however one did appear in Bristol last week but not on service work. Tonight 2 were in the workshop with the 3rd outside. There is no use for them in Weston anymore as the 20s are back to the open tops and there is enough Urban & Express Yourself Darts And Streetlites to operate the 3s and supplement the 7s.

The only possibility is they may be being reactivated to provide additional capacity on the 5s as the E200s struggle with capacity.

THarris123

Established Member
As far as I am aware they are used infrequently on service nowadays, however one did appear in Bristol last week but not on service work. Tonight 2 were in the workshop with the 3rd outside. There is no use for them in Weston anymore as the 20s are back to the open tops and there is enough Urban & Express Yourself Darts And Streetlites to operate the 3s and supplement the 7s.

The only possibility is they may be being reactivated to provide additional capacity on the 5s as the E200s struggle with capacity.
I'm fairly sure I told certain people in First and possibly even on here that service 5 struggles for capacity with E200s last year and I was ignored.

D2007wsm

Established Member
I'm fairly sure I told certain people in First and possibly even on here that service 5 struggles for capacity with E200s last year and I was ignored.
I agree with you totally, they were OK when the 5 was reintroduced as it was a half hour frequency but now it is hourly, they are too small. Weston doesn't have anything suitable for them anymore other than the A2 which finishes in 2 weeks. They are definatley too small for 3s.

THarris123

Established Member
I agree with you totally, they were OK when the 5 was reintroduced as it was a half hour frequency but now it is hourly, they are too small. Weston doesn't have anything suitable for them anymore other than the A2 which finishes in 2 weeks. They are definatley too small for 3s.
That problem should be solved soon I believe.
From what I've heard Streetlites are moving from Bath to Weston. Lots of rumours about which Streetlites and what will go the other way - some say the B7TLs from the 7 and others say E200s.

D2007wsm

Established Member
That problem should be solved soon I believe.
From what I've heard Streetlites are moving from Bath to Weston. Lots of rumours about which Streetlites and what will go the other way - some say the B7TLs from the 7 and others say E200s.
I have been told by several sources, the Darts and E200s in Weston are going and are being replaced by Streetlites. I believe, replacements for the B7TLs are also trying to be found in the form of E400s.

Weston allready have 8 Streetlites, 47551-47553 are used on Excel Services, so this leaves 47557 in unbranded airport livery, 47556 in Mticket pink and 3 in Urban. With these 5, only 3 more need to be found to operate the 3s and 5s, provided they are not used to cover for B7TLs on the 7s.

To put Streetlites perminantley back on the 7s now would be a retrograde step, I know the B7TLs are older but when one of these replaces an E400 on Excel services and a Streetlite is substituted, they struggle wity capacity on the 7s. I would say E200s as they are pointless in Weston now, unless something is being brought in from elsewhere for Bath.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

To be fair, the 5 was half hourly last year and the 4/4A was still running so e200s were probably ok in the main.

44907 working the 3A tonight. Feels like Bath may be home for them all.

D2007wsm

Established Member
I always thought the Weston plan was to have E400's, Streetlites and the few open toppers. (As well as the new E200's for the A3)
That was the case, but atm the supply of available E400s has been exhausted being painted for the Excel.

No dought as soon as some become available, some more E400s will head to Weston to act as spares for Excel and to be used on the 7s.

To be fair, the 5 was half hourly last year and the 4/4A was still running so e200s were probably ok in the main.

Exactly, when the 5 was first reintroduced on a half hourly timetable it was 2 E200s and 1 Streetlite until sufficient Darts were received for the 3 to release an extra E200. They were perfect due to the frequency plus the Crossville services, now with the demise of Crosseville and the reduced frequency they simply aren't big enough.

The E200s are no longer any good for 3s, again too small. If a E200 does make an appearance on 3s it overloads.

Whiteway215

Established Member

Not more of those things please! I'm considering starting a 'Bring back our Bath Darts campaign!'

Private Baxter

Established Member
Not more of those things please! I'm considering starting a 'Bring back our Bath Darts campaign!'
Haha was going to say! ;)
They just can't seem to get rid of them can they. Just when they seem to have nearly all gone, they find their way back. They don't really seem to be suited to any route in our region and are rather unpopular too.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Haha was going to say! ;)
They just can't seem to get rid of them can they. Just when they seem to have nearly all gone, they find their way back. They don't really seem to be suited to any route in our region and are rather unpopular too.
The short wheelbase means iffy ride quality and, of course, lower capacity. The original allocation on the 24/25 was very ill considered. The moving of some to Weston made sense. The decline of Crosville and service changes (and also an overall move to larger vehicles to accommodate growth) has seen them outgrown.

In Bath, the 179 is perhaps an ideal route though only soaks up 2 of them. Now the 3/3A has a higher headway, they can (and do) hide them on there. Don’t think they could do the 1 because of loadings and too wide for the 6/7.

vicbury

If those awful 09 reg Enviros end up on the 4 in Bath I will be very unimpressed! Massive downgrade on the Darts in terms of capacity and accessibility.

I was in Bath yesterday evening and the 4 was being run with a mixture of:

• Long Streetlites
  • A Volvo B7 single decker
  • A 62 plate Enviro 200
  • A 09 plate Enviro 200
Didn't see any Darts at all.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Steve White says some Bath Darts are going to Cymru.

Didn’t think they had much that needed replacement by knackered Darts!

If those awful 09 reg Enviros end up on the 4 in Bath I will be very unimpressed! Massive downgrade on the Darts in terms of capacity and accessibility.

I was in Bath yesterday evening and the 4 was being run with a mixture of:

• Long Streetlites
  • A Volvo B7 single decker
  • A 62 plate Enviro 200
  • A 09 plate Enviro 200
Didn't see any Darts at all.
Of course, they were the replacements for the SPDs on the (1)4 a few years back. However, I can’t see them heading back there - would be as ill advised as the Bristol 5.

Perhaps there’s some OpCo with life expired Solos who might fancy those dinky e200?

CD

Don’t worry - I wasn’t thinking of Yeovil. Besides, you’re due some Cummins Solos from Cornwall - to replace 40325 your heritage Solo!!
Nothing under 12 years old allowed in Yeovil :E

Last 3 vehicles into Yeovil were two 16 year old SPDs which are constantly failing and the 17 year old 40325 which like several of the Solos are an embarrassment when trying to go up any slight hill.

Keep reading about how bad the FWoE Darts are, here in Yeovil the five 12 year old ex FSA Darts are by far the best and most reliable vehicles. :D