• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

-Colly405-

Interesting that 42898 appeared on the Y6. Does anyone know do the Y5 and Y6 still interwork at Chipping Sodbury? I went on the Y5 into work this morning(37003) and it was rather packed. Don't think a dart would have coped on there.

Not seen a Y6 yet but so far have only seen double deck vehicles on the Y1-Y5. T2 on the other hand seemed to only have singles today. 69448 being one such vehicle.

Also saw Mendip liveried 69441 on the last 349 of the day
The Y5 and Y6 timetables are unchanged. That, and the fact that 37003 was on the Y6 today when I saw it, makes me think that they still do interwork at Sodding Chipbury.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D2007wsm

Established Member
Interesting that 42898 appeared on the Y6. Does anyone know do the Y5 and Y6 still interwork at Chipping Sodbury? I went on the Y5 into work this morning(37003) and it was rather packed. Don't think a dart would have coped on there.

Not seen a Y6 yet but so far have only seen double deck vehicles on the Y1-Y5. T2 on the other hand seemed to only have singles today. 69448 being one such vehicle.

Also saw Mendip liveried 69441 on the last 349 of the day
The Y5 and the Y6 are still interworking as was the case with the X49 and the 82.

vicbury

Interesting mixture of vehicles on the 4 in Bath today, including new Solos (interiors look smart with cream handrails and blue seats), Streetlites, and a U2 branded double decker! Clearly it needs both the smallest and largest vehicles in the fleet :s

Does anyone know if any of the X39 B9s have been re-engined yet? I'm travelling to Bath tomorrow and am hoping to catch one.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Interesting mixture of vehicles on the 4 in Bath today, including new Solos (interiors look smart with cream handrails and blue seats), Streetlites, and a U2 branded double decker! Clearly it needs both the smallest and largest vehicles in the fleet :s

Does anyone know if any of the X39 B9s have been re-engined yet? I'm travelling to Bath tomorrow and am hoping to catch one.

Might be one for Steve White or d2007 - there seem to be plenty of B9s on the road both on the X39 and also on the P&Rs though some like 37758 have escaped my casual glance when driving about. Think the priority has been getting the e400Hs repowered - not certain if any of those have reappeared?

Not quite the largest vehicles though - I look forward to seeing a B7LA tackle Bloomfield Drive o_O

vicbury

To be honest the artics might be preferable to the long Streetlites on the turn into the RUH! I'll keep my fingers crossed for the X39, hoping to not have a knackered B7. When I last took it, I had the surprise of a Bath Uni Enviro 400 on it!

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Not managed to be on one yet, but the new buses on the Bath 20 look pretty nice in the light blue livery!
Also was pretty odd to see a double decker U2 head down Twerton High Street!

LeylandLynx

Are we sure those Plaxton Presidents haven't been acquired by First? Last year all they did was put a piece of paper up in the window with some First insignias. This time they're actually adding proper lettering to them and giving them proper fleet numbers, as well as giving them the same lettering all the other First owned buses have on their sides which is the address "FIRST WEST OF ENGLAND ENTERPRISE HOUSE" ect which seems to imply First ownership. Also the tax discs stuck to the windscreens have the First logo accompanying them, which seems to suggest First is paying the tax on them. I don't know if that means anything. Maybe wishful thinking? I hope I'm right.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Are we sure those Plaxton Presidents haven't been acquired by First? Last year all they did was put a piece of paper up in the window with some First insignias. This time they're actually adding proper lettering to them and giving them proper fleet numbers, as well as giving them the same lettering all the other First owned buses have on their sides which is the address "FIRST WEST OF ENGLAND ENTERPRISE HOUSE" ect which seems to imply First ownership. Also the tax discs stuck to the windscreens have the First logo accompanying them, which seems to suggest First is paying the tax on them. I don't know if that means anything. Maybe wishful thinking? I hope I'm right.

Last year, they had fleet numbers (see cab window) https://www.flickr.com/photos/77751183@N07/36964868394/in/photolist-YjsBx9-rDF1XM-TmvjJQ

The legal lettering shows that they are on their operators license NOT that they've been purchased. The "tax disc" is an internal notice on all First vehicles so that drivers (and other staff) know on their inspections before use.

Whiteway215

Established Member
H

Sorry to question your report Vicbury but did you mean U2 branded decker? Nothing to my knowledge has been U2 branded in the past so was it a purple B7TL? We've seen some wonderful collections of buses on the 4 but this is one of the better ones! Especially putting new Solos on there. Then again we are talking First Bath!

Private Baxter

Established Member
Must say I'm a little surprised to see further bendies are coming to Bath. I thought the general trend was to move away from them, and let the existing ones quietly live out their days on U1 peaks. Guess not.

That said I'm liking the look of the new solos. Not seen them in the flesh yet but from the photos look very smart, both inside and out. Look forward to the rest of the city fleet being done in this livery, whenever that might be.

Noted 66731 on the 19 today, so that has transferred back to Bath, so I think that's nearly all the Malborough Street B7RLEs transferred elsewhere now, whilst 66726 has returned to Wells and taken its rightful place on the 126, where I hope it will escape the painter's brush. I might also assume that once the transfer of 69437-48/57-8 is complete then a couple of the older 54/55 reg B7s will make it down to Wells and get Mendip Explorerfied.

KendalKing

Established Member

So far confirmed are:-

32229 LR52 BOH
32235 LR52 BNL
32237 LR52 BNV
LR52 BLK
LR52 BNX

Looking at the gaps, I would say there some more somewhere.

vicbury

H

Sorry to question your report Vicbury but did you mean U2 branded decker? Nothing to my knowledge has been U2 branded in the past so was it a purple B7TL? We've seen some wonderful collections of buses on the 4 but this is one of the better ones! Especially putting new Solos on there. Then again we are talking First Bath!
Sorry I mean U5 (Bath Spa Uni). Clearly I can't keep up with all these renumberings!
And yes, I have no idea what a new Solo was doing on it!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Must say I'm a little surprised to see further bendies are coming to Bath. I thought the general trend was to move away from them, and let the existing ones quietly live out their days on U1 peaks. Guess not.

That said I'm liking the look of the new solos. Not seen them in the flesh yet but from the photos look very smart, both inside and out. Look forward to the rest of the city fleet being done in this livery, whenever that might be.

Noted 66731 on the 19 today, so that has transferred back to Bath, so I think that's nearly all the Malborough Street B7RLEs transferred elsewhere now, whilst 66726 has returned to Wells and taken its rightful place on the 126, where I hope it will escape the painter's brush. I might also assume that once the transfer of 69437-48/57-8 is complete then a couple of the older 54/55 reg B7s will make it down to Wells and get Mendip Explorerfied.

Perhaps the idea of moving those B7LAs south is that they still have some depreciation on them (?) and with a need to have quite a bit of peak resource for the U1, it solves a problem. Otherwise, I presume that they'd be laid up until fully depreciated.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Saw a double-decker on Service 2A this morning (Wednesday) giving Rookery Farm as the destination. I couldn't recall when I had last seen that as a bus destination but it was before the old 51, from before First Bristol dropped it, was extended from Belland Drive through to South Bristol Hospital.

Dave

vicbury

Chaos in Bath at the moment with a broken down Alfa Coaches Mercedes Tourism on Dorchester Street at the junction with Southgate Street. Buses for the bus station and having to go both out and in via the entrance, U-turning in the yard. My X39 was 40 minutes late as a consequence.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Has it? It's been one of the ones that I've seen fairly consistently (unlike 37764/5) though I did note it seems to have gained a new dash panel

It has, it was VOR for quite some time. 37760 is being done as we speak. 37765 and 37766 have also been done. 37757 is next with its front end off too as it was recovered the other day.