• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vicbury

Has it? It's been one of the ones that I've seen fairly consistently (unlike 37764/5) though I did note it seems to have gained a new dash panel
On 37759 now. It sounds / feels (including heating blasting upstairs) exactly the same as ever so I'd be surprised if it has been re-engined. Will have a closer look when I get off.

vicbury

It has, it was VOR for quite some time. 37760 is being done as we speak. 37765 and 37766 have also been done. 37757 is next with its front end off too as it was recovered the other day.
Fairly sure 37757 was awful. One of the two with the cooling fans constantly running. Travelled on 37758 and it seemed to max out at around 35mph. Very frustrating on the Keynsham Bypass!

-Colly405-

I see that Traveline has the current timetables for the Bristol 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 17, 39, X39, 70 and 71 all expiring on 27th October.

Anyone an idea as to what might be happening - seems an odd time to change times again! There are no parts of teh City that they all serve, so it doesn't look like a road change causing this. And the fact that it includes the 9, but not the 8 or 72, is intriguing...

Blackpudding

I think only three of these may come at this moment in time CD. 10169, 10173 and 10183. The last two are not taxed but have a very recent MOT. The other three 10162, 10167 and 10168 are out of tax and MOT by a number of months but that's not to say they can't be re-instated.

10168 has now received an MOT so looks like it could be on it's way to Bath.

LeylandLynx

I had a ride on Plaxton Presidents LR52BNL and LR52BND on the 2A today to get to my destination. I also saw LR52BNX on the 2A. The "tax disc" is a PSV operator license disc, accompanied by "FIRST WILL PROSECUTE IF STOLEN". I also noticed the two disc holders were empty. These two vehicles appeared to have has their seats retrimmed relatively recently and have the strange addition of seat belts. Unfortunately, the front of the upper deck in particular seems to be suffering from wear and tear. BNL has a dent in its mirror. BND has atrocious rattling: I nicknamed the bus Rattly. Needs some new anti-rattling strips and a new lick of paint.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I had a ride on Plaxton Presidents LR52BNL and LR52BND on the 2A today to get to my destination. I also saw LR52BNX on the 2A. The "tax disc" is a PSV operator license disc, accompanied by "FIRST WILL PROSECUTE IF STOLEN". I also noticed the two disc holders were empty. These two vehicles appeared to have been retrimmed relatively recently and have the strange addition of seat belts. Unfortunately, the front of the upper deck in particular seems to be suffering from wear and tear. BNL has a dent in its mirror. BND has atrocious rattling: I nicknamed the bus Rattly. Needs some new anti-rattling strips and a new lick of paint.

They were used on schools workings - hence the seat belts.

LeylandLynx

Actually, I can't remember now if it was BND or BNV, only one of them was out today I think. BOH was nowhere to be seen.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Of Bath's old Solos 53813 has also survived so it's only 53806 I haven't seen since the new ones entered service. 813 was on 3 today.

LeylandLynx

By the way, what happened to all the Streetdecks in Bristol? The 90 and 70/71 appeared to be largely Gemini operated today.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I haven't seen any of Bath's three Kernow B7TLs in use this week. Anyone seen the other two anywhere?

freetoview33

Established Member
I see that Traveline has the current timetables for the Bristol 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 17, 39, X39, 70 and 71 all expiring on 27th October.

Anyone an idea as to what might be happening - seems an odd time to change times again! There are no parts of teh City that they all serve, so it doesn't look like a road change causing this. And the fact that it includes the 9, but not the 8 or 72, is intriguing...
It would suggest most are minor timing changes or stop changes.

Few others that show a current timetables expiring on the 27 October:

A1 - Could be the route change via Long Ashton
3/3A in Bath

Whiteway215

Established Member
Luxurious travel available on the Bath U2 Saturday service today-33950.
One of the new Solos (I think it was 53857) at last carrying a fleetnumber so I imagine they would all carry them soon.

Marcus Fryer

Luxurious travel available on the Bath U2 Saturday service today-33950.
One of the new Solos (I think it was 53857) at last carrying a fleetnumber so I imagine they would all carry them soon.
YJ68 FWO/FWW/FWX in service this afternoon carrying fleet nos 53851/58/59 respectively.

henairs

Hi All,
69438 in Bristol today on X8 journeys. 32229/237 were on 76 today whilst 63078 and 66729 were out on Wells - Bath duties.
37610/37771/2 were all on 376 so presume only 1 Gemini on the Bath corridor.
Sampled the M2 service out to Long Ashton then back to SS Great Britain stop for a coffee onboard floating cafe SS Greenshank before another M2 back into the city.
Quite impressed by this service and the different scenery that side of the harbour.
Cheers, Mike R

D2007wsm

Established Member
The University of Bristol open day shuttle service from the Portway Park & Ride, had 4 Bristol Unibus E400MMS, a Brislington Park & Ride E400MMC and the neutral Brislington/Portway E400MMC operating on it. That bus did confuse several people at the Portway.

There was also at least 1 Brislington E400MMC operating GWR Rail Replacement.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Some better news (for the time being) on the Taunton Park and Ride - http://www.somersetcountygazette.co...d-taunton-park-and-ride-until-september-2019/

"Taunton Deane Borough Council is stepping in with a one-off payment following talks with Somerset County Council, which was considering scrapping the sites at Gateway, Ruishton, and Silk Mills, due to financial problems. The Deane says it will ensure the service can run until at least September 2019. Cllr John Williams, leader of the borough council, met County Hall counterparts this week so the authorities could find a solution in light of the continuing squeeze on the public purse.

TDBC will provide the initial financial support that will allow the service to continue to operate while a commercially viable service is developed by the authorities and First Bus to complement existing parking provision. Mr Williams said: "I am pleased that we are able to secure the future of these important edge of town transport links. "They are essential for drivers looking for an efficient, cost-effective way of getting into the town centre, and are extremely beneficial to the local economy. Park and ride schemes enhance our excellent transport links in Taunton Deane, they help to reduce congestion and pollution, and are an integral element of our status as the first garden town in the South West. Whilst our one-off contribution cannot guarantee the long term future of the service, it does provide a crucial window of opportunity to work with our county council partners and the bus operating company to put the service on a commercially sound footing. As partners, we are convinced there is potential to create a sustainable future for the service and we will leave no stone unturned in our pursuit of that objective."

Cllr John Woodman, Somerset County Council’s cabinet member for highways, said: "We’ve always appreciated the value of the Taunton park and ride but we simply no longer have the finances to support it. We’re really pleased Taunton Deane has stepped in and we are committed to working with them to develop the park and ride so that it has a sustainable future and can play a part in the long-term aspirations of the town."

I would hope that all partners can work together to adequately promote this service - clagging some vinyls on some dealer white Streetlites hardly promotes it. It would also help if there was some decent bus priority but aside from the Blackbrook/Ilminster Road bus only road, I struggle to recall much else.