• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Private Baxter

Established Member
So 2017 has ended, so my thoughts on where we stand, and possibly where things are going.
Weston depot has ended on a high. After several years of decline, it has bounced back tremendously and now run all the north Somerset operations, and the smart re-branding of its fleet in to Excel should soon be complete. In fact, on the rare occasion I do still see an Express Yourself bus, I think how dated it now looks, despite rather liking it. The services are better than they have been for a while as well. Away from the Excel operations, they lost the 126 (returned in full to its rightful home) but the 20 has seen some improvement with a return of open top deckers for some of the summer operations, again in a very fine livery. Town services have improved too, at first with streetlites moving on to the 7, only to be replaced by older deckers, whilst they regained the 5. There was talk in 2016 of a special town livery for Weston, supposedly a nod to its heritage but never happened. When the allocations to town services becomes a little more settled (I honestly have no idea what works what atm), I'd love to see this plan be revived!

In Bristol (MH) things have stayed much as they were. They took on the 82, as well as peak only service 177, and run pretty much with the same fleet they did last year, with a few minor alterations. Or am I forgetting something? Two of the old X7 Chepstow buses left early in the year whilst the other stayed and continues to run in dark blue and gold. 2004/2005 B7RLEs seem to work the bulk of services, though it has been suggested that some will be on the move soon. Again can't really predict what will happen at MH, so would simply like to see repainting of barbie buses as I don't think theirs have really been touched this past year. And for the wish list, imagine seeing the aforementioned ex X7 gemini reappear in dark green BOC livery, just for fun!

Bath regretfully has seen further decline. The 38 has gone, the 171 is about to go, though only after it, along with 179 moved to over to the outstation first. Efforts to rebrand the city services were halted, though they at least have seen some growth. Beyond that, Bath only run a handfull of services now, whilst Westbury routes have seen some cuts. The 272 and 265 continue to be fairly strong, not so sure about 267 as it's been a while since I've used it. If that too were to be cut, then I would fear for the outstation. Needless to say then this year I would like to see these services carry on running! I'm not convinced the A1 B7RLEs will head over but I might be wrong. But I would like to see the continuation of the branding of buses in Bath for city routes, many of which are in need of it anyway. I think the darts will stay on the 4 (despite suggestions to the contrary), and the e200s will stay on the 3. Obviously it remains to be seen as to whether these alleged solos will arrive, but it would be lovely if they do! I also think new streetdecks might come in for X39 this year. One more thing, and more of a prediction, I think the 19A will become the 18.

Wells depot is, in my opinion, the smartest of all the country depots. A year ago, they were still re-painting everything but that has been completed now, and walking past the other day when all were there, I thought just how good it looks. Last year I hoped things would stay exactly as they were, which I think is more or less what happened. They finally regained the 126 in its entirety, and in doing so gained 66726, which stands out as being not in the same livery as the rest but still a superb addition to the fleet. I've probably said before but Wells is in a unique position in that nearly all of its fleet are native, with only three (35148, 69457/8) having started their lives elsewhere, though they all fit in nicely anyway. So for Wells I wish for more of the same. Sadly the 175 is to disappear imminently, it's a real shame the half hourly headway hasn't worked, but that's the way it goes. Otherwise I don't see much else changing this year, which can only be a good thing. That said, I don't see the current arrangement with the 172 lasting forever, so it might be that it eventually returns to Bath. And if so, I also think it quite possible that the 77 might also eventually return to Wells. But probably not this year.
My turn to add my thoughts from the last year, and look ahead to this one.
I'll briefly start with Bristol city services. Metrobus has dominated the year, and as such the regular services have carried on much as they were, with frequency reductions to some. Investment in new fleet has taken a back seat, aside from some of the contracted services at the start of the year such as the A1 with their superb e400s, in addition of course to the aforementioned metrobus. Not much has changed in terms of fleet allocation, but we've got the M1, 91, 92 and 96 all starting next week, so except a few changes there. We might see new fleet arrive for some of the core city services this year, such as 42-5, and maybe 75-6 but beyond that it is quite hard to see what else will happen. I can't think of any city routes that were branded in 2018, so maybe they will resume with that, either in the form of new fleet, or repainting existing buses for routes such as the 9, or 73.

On to country depots, Weston has had a fairly big year. Route 1 returned to First after a few years absence and was treated to an additional bus in coaster livery. But in an even bigger surprise, a previously shelved plan to brand all town routes into an updated version of Badgerline came to fruitition, with buses currently being outshopped in the livery. Hopefully this will be complete fairly soon. They lost the A2, but have gained elsewhere.

Bristol saw a big rebrand of their South Glos services, with the scrapping of the 78 and 79, only to be replaced with the very popular T1 and T2. The T1 has been remarkably successful and has some of the newest buses in the fleet, which will be painted in due course. Meanwhile the Yate services were all grouped together to create the Y1-6, again some with newer buses, and a big re-branding program got underway. Regretfully however, progress on this seems to have stalled, after only doing a few buses, likely due to more immediate operational issues elsewhere in the region, but hopefully will restart soon as it really is a beautiful livery. We might see the loss of the final few 54/55 reg B7RLEs in Bristol but beyond that don't see much changing.

Bath too has had a slightly bigger year. My predictions a year ago were pretty wrong, with none of what I saw happening actually happening, whilst some of what I didn't think would happen, did! Get me? ;)
Some of the only new fleet to arrive this year came to Bath, and it was solos. A pleasant surprise away from the bigger stories of the year. They have found themselves on routes that weren't run by First a year ago, so it might be they soon find their way on to their intended routes. I have not had the pleasure of travelling on one yet but they do look great from the outside. The former airport buses did indeed go to Bath for Wiltshire services, which were all rebranded as Discover and given a new identity. I like the brand, though not crazy about this obsession with letter prefix service numbers, which has been a common theme this year, but oh well. And in a surprise move, the 267 (D2), far from being cut, was actually doubled in frequency! However, the X39 didn't get its new buses, I think the reason might be is that the deckers were moved on there so soon after the streetlite maxes, and so they couldn't really justify investing in the X39 again. However, it has been nearly six years now since they arrived, whilst the current B9 gemenis, great as they are, are starting to look tired, so it might be this year we see a new fleet of deckers for X39. Towards the end of this year, I believe the Park and Ride buses will have served their time in Bath, so something new should be coming their way. Meaning a new home needs to be found for the existing fleet. Historically former Bath P&R buses have always stayed in the region, so perhaps they'll be sent to Weston for Excel services, sending the 56 reg ones elsewhere, or perhaps to LH for 1/2? The Bath city fleet is now looking pretty strong, but I would like to see the streetlite maxes, e200s and any remaining streetlites (assuming the Wales transfer happens) receive the rather brilliant city blue livery.

Wells is much the same as it was a year ago. The 175 was just about to go and since then nothing has come or gone in its place. The 172-4 has seen growth so it was decided to convert the routes to decker operation. However, this is another project that seems to have stopped and only a handful of deckers work the routes, the majority still being in the hands of the otherwise excellent B7RLEs. Whether it was ever meant to be 100% decker I do not know, or maybe it just isn't priority at the moment. The plan I think is for them to work the T2 in Bristol, whilst a few work the 178, but so far only one bus (69448) has been painted in the S. Glos livery, whilst the other few that did move up continue to run in Mendip Explorer, as was the plan. In the meantime, the T2 is making use of the older single deck buses, as well as the new e400s. Further more, the few B9s that transferred to Wells following the loss of the 903 are preferred on the 376 wherever possible! With so much up in the air, it is hard to predict what might happen in Wells so I will watch with interest! I think they would like to take the streetdecks off the 376 at the earliest opportunity, though that probably won't be till next year.

So, as ever, plenty to come, many surprises, new buses, new services, cuts, withdrawals, the lot. Let's see what happens!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

goldisgood

A few quick thoughts from things that have been posted

Gas buses - I've read that 39 are due (soon?), which I think might be for the 6, 7, 17 and 42-45 because of the AQMAs along those routes in Kingswood and Warmley. The bid for the buses was, I believe, for services in north and east Bristol so these routes could be likely candidates (I know lots of people have said that the 42-45 will likely be getting gas buses). 39 should be enough for these routes with a couple of spares.

However, the X39 didn't get its new buses, I think the reason might be is that the deckers were moved on there so soon after the streetlite maxes, and so they couldn't really justify investing in the X39 again. However, it has been nearly six years now since they arrived, whilst the current B9 gemenis, great as they are, are starting to look tired, so it might be this year we see a new fleet of deckers for X39. Towards the end of this year, I believe the Park and Ride buses will have served their time in Bath, so something new should be coming their way.
I don't think either of these will be getting any new buses - the Volvos on the X39 are being upgraded/have been upgraded to Euro 6, whilst the Park and Ride buses are in the process of being converted to Euro 6 diesel.

First West of England - well, who knows? I still think the 90 will be reduced in frequency. I still think the 35 will be relinquished and the new 96 will decline before withdrawal in 2019/20. I also think the 42 will be withdrawn in Bath, with the 4 doing the honours instead. Balancing things up, I think Abus may actually decide to finally close up, with the X8 and 349 passing back to First, the latter being rebranded. There will be some major fleet changes this year.... The CNG e400s will begin to arrive so B9s can be reallocated across the city. This will allow the culling of the W reg B7TLs eventually! Some Streetdecks will be released to other opcos (Leicester, Norwich?). I also think there will be some despatch of 66723, 66937 and other barbie Eclipses to other opcos and the last Darts will also go. I also think that there will be more e200s to Bath sourced from across the empire to allow the release of 63*** Streetlites to other opcos, with the shorter Streetlites also continuing to be moved on.
I wouldn't be surprised if Abus closed up, possibly after their hearing? I think that as the gas buses arrive, some of the Streetdecks will gradually be moved elsewhere.

Private Baxter

Established Member
A few quick thoughts from things that have been posted

Gas buses - I've read that 39 are due (soon?), which I think might be for the 6, 7, 17 and 42-45 because of the AQMAs along those routes in Kingswood and Warmley. The bid for the buses was, I believe, for services in north and east Bristol so these routes could be likely candidates (I know lots of people have said that the 42-45 will likely be getting gas buses). 39 should be enough for these routes with a couple of spares.

I don't think either of these will be getting any new buses - the Volvos on the X39 are being upgraded/have been upgraded to Euro 6, whilst the Park and Ride buses are in the process of being converted to Euro 6 diesel.

I wouldn't be surprised if Abus closed up, possibly after their hearing? I think that as the gas buses arrive, some of the Streetdecks will gradually be moved elsewhere.
You're right, I'd quite forgotten about that. Looks like the B9s will be in Bath a while longer, unless it's all part of elaborate plan to send them off to some obscure city route in Bristol.
I'm a little more confident about the p&r getting new buses later in the year, and seeing the current fleet move on, complete with upgraded engines, but I could of course be wrong!

goldisgood

You're right, I'd quite forgotten about that. Looks like the B9s will be in Bath a while longer, unless it's all part of elaborate plan to send them off to some obscure city route in Bristol.
I'm a little more confident about the p&r getting new buses later in the year, and seeing the current fleet move on, complete with upgraded engines, but I could of course be wrong!
I was under the impression that the funding meant that the buses had to stay in the area for a certain amount of time, but I guess this could mean First could make a deal to keep the buses in the area but on other routes.

Private Baxter

Established Member
I was under the impression that the funding meant that the buses had to stay in the area for a certain amount of time, but I guess this could mean First could make a deal to keep the buses in the area but on other routes.
Possibly, but I don't really know much about this. Could I suppose be suitable candidates for the 19 & 37 in a couple of years

Whiteway215

Established Member
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before so apologies if this is old stuff. I've read the new Bath Solos cannot be used on the Bath 8 because of grounding issues at Kingsway. This means they won't appear on the 6 or 7 either as I believe these routes inter work with the 8.

Private Baxter

Established Member
A couple of renumbering predictions I forgot to mention yesterday. (Because I know renumberings are very popular amongst members here, and bus users alike). Nonetheless:
Re-predicted from last year,
19A to become 18
48A to become 47

Class 33

Established Member
My prediction for this year is that there will STILL continue to be some single deckers operating every day on the 75 & 76! Despite all these extra buses from elsewhere in the country that have gone onto these services over the past several years. Seems to be the unwritten rule that there must be a few single deckers used on these services every day!

-Colly405-

Was driving along Albert Cres, St Philips, earlier (don't ask...) And saw what looked the "original Badgerline" liveried single-decker parked in one of the side streets (possibly Philip St).
Is this particularly unusual?

carlberry

Established Member
Was driving along Albert Cres, St Philips, earlier (don't ask...) And saw what looked the "original Badgerline" liveried single-decker parked in one of the side streets (possibly Philip St).
Was it possibly one of the preserved ones? North Somerset Coaches have one of the Volvos and somebody else has one of the Wright bodies single deckers and there's a company that does bus and coach maintenance in Albert Crescent that does work for a lot of preservationists.

Private Baxter

Established Member
66726 has been parked up in Wells depot all day so likely a preserved one.
Speaking of which lots of visitors in Wells atm, including 66728/31 (the former being on 173 earlier), one of the new 13 reg e200s working 126, an 03 reg AXL400, 53 reg gemini, and possibly more. Meanwhile 69444 has been working 376, which I had the pleasure of riding down this afternoon.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
66726 has been parked up in Wells depot all day so likely a preserved one.
Speaking of which lots of visitors in Wells atm, including 66728/31 (the former being on 173 earlier), one of the new 13 reg e200s working 126, an 03 reg AXL400, 53 reg gemini, and possibly more. Meanwhile 69444 has been working 376, which I had the pleasure of riding down this afternoon.

The loans to Wells are numerous. The other day had 53817,44553, 32343/4, 66731 and 63069

Private Baxter

Established Member
The loans to Wells are numerous. The other day had 53817,44553, 32343/4, 66731 and 63069
Just saw a solo heading toward Wells with First Mendip on the display, so presumably 53817. A lot of streetdecks were out of action today, but I saw most, if not all the remaing B7RLEs in service, so wonder what the shortfall is.

BBC

My prediction for this year is that there will STILL continue to be some single deckers operating every day on the 75 & 76! Despite all these extra buses from elsewhere in the country that have gone onto these services over the past several years. Seems to be the unwritten rule that there must be a few single deckers used on these services every day!
That’s just how the hengrove depot works. Let’s say a driver is waiting for his 76 to come in but it’s late, what they do is take a bus from another service and give that to the driver. Then once that 76 comes in it’s moved over to a 90 for example. That what you get when most of the routes finish at the depot !

Luk3y

Just noticed in Hengrove depot that a few of the 50 branded e400’s are now branded for the 91/92

Whiteway215

Established Member
Went out to see what was happening on the Bath U2 this morning with its increased frequency and increased PVR from 4 to 7. 30871 (ex Hengrove) 32003 32007 32014 32015 53815 66938 were working on the service. There is also a new Ralph Allen School bus R2 from today and 32009 (ex LH) was doing the honours.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Went out to see what was happening on the Bath U2 this morning with its increased frequency and increased PVR from 4 to 7. 30871 (ex Hengrove) 32003 32007 32014 32015 53815 66938 were working on the service. There is also a new Ralph Allen School bus R2 from today and 32009 (ex LH) was doing the honours.

I saw 30871 proudly work the U2 to Clifton Queens Road!! 53859 was working the Wessex Water Odd Down contract.

The over-running engineering works saw 66882 working at Westbury station on Friday night and 66722 working on Saturday, and yes, 32008 was still busy working the 172/4 yesterday!

Whiteway215

Established Member
I saw 30871 proudly work the U2 to Clifton Queens Road!! 53859 was working the Wessex Water Odd Down contract.

The over-running engineering works saw 66882 working at Westbury station on Friday night and 66722 working on Saturday, and yes, 32008 was still busy working the 172/4 yesterday!
Perhaps the Bristol and Bath U2 s are being interworked! When I saw 30871 heading for Twerton it was showing 'Shuttle Service to and from Bath University' and 32009 on R2 was showing 'Private Charter!'

Whiteway215

Established Member
Loan bus 32236 LR52BND on Bath U1 this afternoon. Rumour Alert-there may be other loans in BH.