• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Looks like Andrew Sherrington's experience of FWoE is being reflected in the changes to First Cymru.

A number of deckers now arriving. The rumoured elderly ALXs from West Yorkshire have apparently begun to arrive, and they're getting 10 x B7TL Geminis from Glasgow such as 37166 and 37180 to cope with increased loadings on the Unibus services.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129716166@N03/45764497275/in/feed
https://www.flickr.com/photos/65600314@N06/46490947142/in/pool-1627471@N21/

Apparently some singles are going up in exchange. First Cymru might be an interesting watch over the next few months! BTW - this is what the refurbished Eclipses in Swansea look like internally - quite nice and less painful on the eyes than the refurbished Geminis in Wells https://www.flickr.com/photos/joshs-bus-pics/44261314040/in/pool-1627471@N21/

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blackpudding

Talking of deckers it was reported a few days ago that Halifax B7TL 30930, X798NWR, had left for Somerset. If anyone can confirm this has transferred and to which depot it would be helpful. Thanks.

And while we are on the subject of Somerset can anyone confirm if the last Volvo B6BLE, 48270, is still in service at Bridgwater? It was reported as having left the fleet and VOSA report it as 'Untaxed' (not SORN) since November but it was reported still in service recently.

Last edited:

CD

Talking of deckers it was reported a few days ago that Halifax B7TL 30930, X798NWR, had left for Somerset. If anyone can confirm this has transferred and to which depot it would be helpful. Thanks.

And while we are on the subject of Somerset can anyone confirm if the last Volvo B6BLE, 48270, is still in service at Bridgwater? It was reported as having left the fleet and VOSA report it as 'Untaxed' (not SORN) since November but it was reported still in service recently.
48270 being retained until 65760 enters service.
30930 could possibly be the replacement at Bridgwater for 32818.

KendalKing

Established Member

I thought that 30930 got transferred to Port Talbot, along with 30928.

BPWUser1

Noted two P&R e400s in Bath last night - first time I’ve seen more than one for a while.

It's still the previously reported e400s 39133/40 which have stayed. Along with 39005 the 3 have been working the Newbridge P&R this week, avoiding any hill work.

Loan bus 32236 LR52BND on Bath U1 this afternoon. Rumour Alert-there may be other loans in BH.

The depot must have 'robbed Peter to pay Paul' as 32015 was on the Lansdown P&R. 32338 and 32636 have also been on the Lansdown P&R this week, so not sure what's happened to some of the Streetdecks.

carlberry

Established Member
Ha. My head is starting to hurt. I have 30883, 30905, 30926, 30931 to Port Talbot although temporarily in use at Swansea with 30927 and 30928 to follow. No mention of 30930.
It's odd that, at an age when most bus companies are looking at dispatching a bus to Yorkshire, First are sending them on 250 mile journeys in the other direction to 'improve' the fleet in Somerset and South Wales!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It's odd that, at an age when most bus companies are looking at dispatching a bus to Yorkshire, First are sending them on 250 mile journeys in the other direction to 'improve' the fleet in Somerset and South Wales!

In the case of Cymru, I guess it’s a case of adding peak capacity and a stopgap but yes, bit of surprise to see 18.5 year old deckers heading South.

I had a impromptu trip on 30883 in Halifax in Dec 2017 as I thought it would soon be razor blades. Could’ve waited for it come South!

KendalKing

Established Member
Ha. My head is starting to hurt. I have 30883, 30905, 30926, 30931 to Port Talbot although temporarily in use at Swansea with 30927 and 30928 to follow. No mention of 30930.
Also due are 37161-37171, 37180-37182 from Blantyre, with 37166, 37170, & 37180 having already arrived. There's a photo 37170 in service in Port Talbot on Facebook.

Blackpudding

48270 being retained until 65760 enters service.

Since my last message 48270 is now shown with a 'SORN' against it so I assume 65760 has now entered service or it's an admin error on behalf of Buses of Somerset or VOSA.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Also due are 37161-37171, 37180-37182 from Blantyre, with 37166, 37170, & 37180 having already arrived. There's a photo 37170 in service in Port Talbot on Facebook.

14 Geminis - more than I’ve seen mentioned. That and another 7/8 ALXs - quite a change from a business that for years managed with just four deckers (until the Leeds B9s)!

DaveHarries

Established Member
I noticed yesterday (10th January) that First Cymru had a raft of service changes go through the VOSA wef 03-Mar-2019:

Newly Registered:
- 38 (Swansea - Neath, via. Jersey Marine & Skewen)

Cancelled Services:
- 965 (Neath - Swansea, Gower College)

Variations:
- 8 (8X) (Hendrefoilan - Swansea Bay Uni Campus)
- 11 (Swansea and Mayhill Circular, via. Mount Pleasent)
- 14 (Rhyddwen Road - Pennard Cliffs, via. Blackpill)
- 27 (27A, 27B) (Seansea - Penplas, via. Cwmbwria)
- 5 (34) (Pontrhydyfen - Neath, via. Birchgrove)
- 56 (Neath - Swansea, via. Pontardawe)
- 62 (Pencoed - Bridgend via. Brackla)
- 63 (Bridgend - Porthcawl, via. Pyle)
- 64 (Bridgend - Talbot Green, via. Brackla)
- 79 (Blaencaerau - Turberville)
- 83 (Port Talbot - Blaengwynfi)
- 87 (99, 86, 900, 901, 902) (Neath - Port Talbot, via. Briton Ferry)
- 903 (Neath - Abercraf, via. Neath College)
- 905 (Cwmtwrch - Neath College)
- 906 (Min-Yr-Awel - Neath)
- 908 (Cymmer - Neath College)
- 909 (Neath College - Pontardawe)
- 961 (Llansamlet - Swansea College)
- T1S (Carmarthen - Swansea, via. Cross Hands)
- X5 (Swansea - Neath, via. Llansawel)
- X7 (Swansea - Glynneath)
- X8 (907) (Swansea - Banwen, via. Coed Darcy & Neath)
- X13 (Swansea - Tycroes, via. Ammanford)

HTIOI,
Dave

Whiteway215

Established Member
Following an enquiry on the Travel West Yorkshire Forum about 30930 going Halifax to Somerset, the reply in the last few minutes states it has just gone and the source given was FB (Facebook presumably)

317 forever

Established Member
A few quick thoughts from things that have been posted

Gas buses - I've read that 39 are due (soon?), which I think might be for the 6, 7, 17 and 42-45 because of the AQMAs along those routes in Kingswood and Warmley. The bid for the buses was, I believe, for services in north and east Bristol so these routes could be likely candidates (I know lots of people have said that the 42-45 will likely be getting gas buses). 39 should be enough for these routes with a couple of spares.

I don't think either of these will be getting any new buses - the Volvos on the X39 are being upgraded/have been upgraded to Euro 6, whilst the Park and Ride buses are in the process of being converted to Euro 6 diesel.

I wouldn't be surprised if Abus closed up, possibly after their hearing? I think that as the gas buses arrive, some of the Streetdecks will gradually be moved elsewhere.

It'll be great if the gas buses do come soon. I could be coming to Bristol as soon as May to ride Metrobus among other things.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Following an enquiry on the Travel West Yorkshire Forum about 30930 going Halifax to Somerset, the reply in the last few minutes states it has just gone and the source given was FB (Facebook presumably)

No idea if its been mentioned but there is a former Buses of Somerset bus, not sure which type but its still in BoS livery, which has been running on the 548 and 549 (Halifax - Brighouse - Nunnery Lane / Huddersfield) over the past month.

carlberry

Established Member
No idea if its been mentioned but there is a former Buses of Somerset bus, not sure which type but its still in BoS livery, which has been running on the 548 and 549 (Halifax - Brighouse - Nunnery Lane / Huddersfield) over the past month.
Buses of Somerset has decided to rebrand itself as Atlantic Coasters now.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I thought Atlantic Coaster brand was used around Newquay??
Atlantic Coaster is used on the Newquay to Padstow route but is more associated with Penzance with the open top A1 to A3 routes around Lands End and St Ives and the A17 linking St Just with St Ives via Penzance.

Some Solars that were used on the A17 were sent to Bridgwater for the 21 and are being used in full AC livery.

The green Eclipses in Halifax are/were 69012/3 and 69206/7 - sent from Somerset and replaced by said Solars. Odd as First WY are usually very good at repanelling and repainting before entering service!

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Was thinking much the same, as they've been noticeably absent on the 5 these last few days, whilst quite a few streetlites have been on there
36818 is on there today!!

Just shy of 25 years of Dart operations on city services though the first Badgerline examples appeared in late 1993 on country services.

EDIT: 42966 & 42896 still working on the 5

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Hello all

With a bit of holiday to use up (carried a day or two over and need to use by end of Jan) and a day m-ticket similarly on my phone for months, yesterday seemed a good day to get out and about. It had been a little while since I'd had a trip out on FWoE so here are my observations etc. I didn't go to south/west so I don't know if I'll offend farwest's sensibilities but here we go...

I began by driving to Odd Down P&R and leaving the car there. Got there about 0650 so kept warm and watched one of the two e400Hs still working (39133) arrive but I was waiting for the 42. This was 53852, one of the new Solos and my first chance to experience these. Have to say it was a bit cold though the seats were quite nice. The very light laminates inside though did make me wonder how much they'll show the dirt? However, it's welcome minibus investment and the 42 did carry quite a few workers for the RUH and did pick up quite a number from around Twerton/Southdown. I still suspect it may not last though and that the 4 will eventually take that role of linking Odd Down with the RUH.

I got off at Windsor Bridge and almost immediately caught the X39 for Bristol. This was regular B9 37758 and it was disappointing. I know I keep labouring the point but that a major trunk route is surviving on ten year old B9s is almost beyond belief. Not only that but this one was freezing inside, the NSAs didn't work, had all the charm of a dentists waiting room, and didn't sound particularly healthy (I suspect because of being hammered up and down the A4). It was also almost empty though it did get a few in Saltford and then really did fill up through Brislington. This is the issue with the X39 - people often cite that it's not an express but it does perform two roles being an end to end route but also a local service. My plan was to get off at Temple Meads and get the 91 but the lack of bus priority past Arnos Vale did for that.... I know there's a load of houses converted into flats along there but it really should have an extension of the bus lane! I saw the 91 disappear past at Three Lamps but I exited anyway at TM for a toilet stop.

However, this did mean I accidentally had the opportunity to catch the 22 - the Computershare works bus service open to the general public. This was a much warmer, busier and sprightlier B9 in 37593. Not done this route before so a bit interesting and clearly it is very popular - a bit of a throwback when there were large employers that people would catch the bus to/from. I exited at Parson Street to get my first taste of the m1, with CT Plus 2915. Now I had two trips on the same machine but suffice to say that it suffered from the usual creaking sounds of most e400s. Also, the seats are nice enough but I'd venture that the Stagecoach Gold ones are more luxurious. However, I decided to get off at Novers Hill, the plan being to get another one North but instead, the next bus was the new 96, operated by ex Glasgow B7 32549. These vehicles have been decried as being in poor condition (and may be for a driver) but the condition of this one and the others I've experienced have been pretty tidy inside and it certainly squeaked less that the e400 I'd just vacated. We got to Hengrove Park and I waited for the next m1 which was a reunion with 2915 though clearly timekeeping was a problem. A radio call saw the instruction to miss out most of Hengrove and Inns Court, going straight down Hartcliffe Way to Parson Street. We then carved our way through Bemmie and some early observations on the m1... The main stops in Bemmie had metrobus helpers to assist passengers which is a sensible measure - good move. However, the problem is that through there, there is no bus priority so our m1 was stuck in the same traffic as the 90 ahead as we ground our way out to Redcliffe Hill. Clearly, Bristol can't build its way out of traffic congestion so public transport must be the way forward but I don't know if the city will ever be brave enough to do what it has to do without upsetting the car lobby/Bristol Post.

At the Centre, I got off and hopped onto a waiting m3. This was the recently reliveried 36821, used to provide additional capacity on this service, reflecting the growth in loadings. This doesn't have the metrobus moquette but very impressively, it had a full set of route branding and metrobus vinyls internally. Loadings were modest with most for UWE as we followed my earlier steed 2915 on the m1. We arrived at Emersons and I walked up to grab a Costa before getting the next 48 (it arrived with another 48 and a 49 all within a minute) to Downend. Now, I don't think I've ever got a 48 from Emersons as the area round Leap Valley was very unfamiliar. Standard e400 33794 displayed all the issues of build quality as we went over speed bump after speed bump, and I was happy to exit at Downend. The plan was to catch the 5 - one of my favourite Bristol routes and possibly a rare Dart experience. Instead, it was recently reallocated Streetlite 47571. Now, this is the thing. The driver was a lady (Louise?) who I had chance to talk to at Downend, allowing me to keep warm as she nipped to the ladies, and she then drove that bus expertly. People have a thing about Streetlites but this is the ideal type of route for them, they need to be set up correctly, and they need to be driven and not merely aimed! In terms of her demeanour with passengers and her technical skill, she was excellent. We made our way through Oldbury Court and Fishponds (being passed by a couple of Darts) and then down into the inner city. I got off outside Debenhams in time to miss the m2 but that gave me time to nip to the sandwich shop to have a very disappointing bacon baguette - if you're tempted, don't!

Round into Bond Street and my final metrobus which was the m2 and 36809. At that time of day, loadings were again light and we headed off along Spike Island and then onto the busway. As has been said elsewhere by better people than me, it's a real curate's egg. The bus lane near Spike Island is patchy and also has daytime parking on it. The bits of guided busway seem superfluous with the except of Ashton Avenue bridge and the flyover seems overly engineered. All very strange. We arrived at the P&R and 36810 was already waiting - this seems to be a common experience in that daytime times and workings mean it is very slack at that end. I happened to get another chatty driver and he was very complimentary about the Scanias, especially in respect to the brakes when people pull out in front of him.

However, I couldn't hang around as I walked briskly to Brookgate stop near the SBR (can you think of a more obscure place to get a bus?) to catch the U2. Did cross my mind as to whether it would stop there (despite the times on the stop) but 37609 duly appeared. Now, a couple more observations on this. It doesn't serve the P&R despite it going through it. I know there are covenants but, to my mind, it is similar to the 505 so should it not also call in? Perhaps that's the point - making sure it doesn't take that trade? Also, 37609 has also been retrimmed with the same blue/green moquette as the Portway/Briz deckers and in the new Solos. Just my opinion but it looks like the sort of stuff from a 1980s tube train, and looks especially bad with purple seat backs and lilac laminates. Can only assume they got a job lot and/or whoever specified that is colourblind. However, it was a belting trip out on a very lightly loaded B9 as we bounced along to Lower Langford, with only one other passenger for company. I got off at the Vet College but then had the walk back to the village (I had time to kill) before my only cash fare for the A5. It duly arrived and I got Carmel Solo YJ16DFE to Sandford.

It was at this point that I had a choice to make as to going via Weston or Wells on the 126. In hindsight, wish I'd done Weston but instead went for the 126 to Wells, though sadly the diversion at Draycott has now ended so it was the standard route. It was now mid afternoon and we had a very tidy Eclipse 66942 - quite tidy considering it's still in Barbie and not had any internal work done. Clearly it is on loan from Bath depot to help Wells and it went very well with hardly a rattle on it. Passenger figures thinned out by Cheddar, explaining why it is only an hourly service. At Wells, I spied the pride of the BoS fleet, with a 15 plate e200 on the Bridgwater service. I nipped off for a decent meal, and returned after a jacket spud with veg thai red curry to get my bus back to Bath. It was a decker - my first foray on the 174 with a B9 and it was 37771. Now sadly, it doesn't have the internal branding - it just had two ads for FAST stroke detection which was rather disappointing. However, I'm reckoning that if the other Eclipses on that corridor are replaced by Geminis, then ALL the deckers will be so treated. It also has the green/blue seating - I was feeling bilious with it. That said, 37771 was a real joy to travel on, much nicer than 37758 earlier that day from the same batch. The 174 is a lovely route anyway but even better on a decker though it did seem incongruous as we went through Dinder.

I got off at Odd Down (near the Red Lion) as I had a plan to catch the U2 to UoB but guess what, it never appeared. However, I just decided that I'd had a lovely day, and seen the interior of enough buses and the light was going so I turned and walked back to the P&R. Just got there and Eclipse 69438 went past - absolutely heaving so clearly more deckers are needed on that corridor. I think there's still more growth to be had on there - the promo stuff has gone from Wells bus station (the signage is also out of date) and new bus flags (a la Discover) might also help but to be fair to First, they've done a great job in developing that corridor. I trust that the X39 will also benefit similarly and I'm sure it's on the list - in JF we trust.

Sorry for waffling and hope it was of interest.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Hello all

With a bit of holiday to use up (carried a day or two over and need to use by end of Jan) and a day m-ticket similarly on my phone for months, yesterday seemed a good day to get out and about. It had been a little while since I'd had a trip out on FWoE so here are my observations etc. I didn't go to south/west so I don't know if I'll offend farwest's sensibilities but here we go...

I began by driving to Odd Down P&R and leaving the car there. Got there about 0650 so kept warm and watched one of the two e400Hs still working (39133) arrive but I was waiting for the 42. This was 53852, one of the new Solos and my first chance to experience these. Have to say it was a bit cold though the seats were quite nice. The very light laminates inside though did make me wonder how much they'll show the dirt? However, it's welcome minibus investment and the 42 did carry quite a few workers for the RUH and did pick up quite a number from around Twerton/Southdown. I still suspect it may not last though and that the 4 will eventually take that role of linking Odd Down with the RUH.

I got off at Windsor Bridge and almost immediately caught the X39 for Bristol. This was regular B9 37758 and it was disappointing. I know I keep labouring the point but that a major trunk route is surviving on ten year old B9s is almost beyond belief. Not only that but this one was freezing inside, the NSAs didn't work, had all the charm of a dentists waiting room, and didn't sound particularly healthy (I suspect because of being hammered up and down the A4). It was also almost empty though it did get a few in Saltford and then really did fill up through Brislington. This is the issue with the X39 - people often cite that it's not an express but it does perform two roles being an end to end route but also a local service. My plan was to get off at Temple Meads and get the 91 but the lack of bus priority past Arnos Vale did for that.... I know there's a load of houses converted into flats along there but it really should have an extension of the bus lane! I saw the 91 disappear past at Three Lamps but I exited anyway at TM for a toilet stop.

However, this did mean I accidentally had the opportunity to catch the 22 - the Computershare works bus service open to the general public. This was a much warmer, busier and sprightlier B9 in 37593. Not done this route before so a bit interesting and clearly it is very popular - a bit of a throwback when there were large employers that people would catch the bus to/from. I exited at Parson Street to get my first taste of the m1, with CT Plus 2915. Now I had two trips on the same machine but suffice to say that it suffered from the usual creaking sounds of most e400s. Also, the seats are nice enough but I'd venture that the Stagecoach Gold ones are more luxurious. However, I decided to get off at Novers Hill, the plan being to get another one North but instead, the next bus was the new 96, operated by ex Glasgow B7 32549. These vehicles have been decried as being in poor condition (and may be for a driver) but the condition of this one and the others I've experienced have been pretty tidy inside and it certainly squeaked less that the e400 I'd just vacated. We got to Hengrove Park and I waited for the next m1 which was a reunion with 2915 though clearly timekeeping was a problem. A radio call saw the instruction to miss out most of Hengrove and Inns Court, going straight down Hartcliffe Way to Parson Street. We then carved our way through Bemmie and some early observations on the m1... The main stops in Bemmie had metrobus helpers to assist passengers which is a sensible measure - good move. However, the problem is that through there, there is no bus priority so our m1 was stuck in the same traffic as the 90 ahead as we ground our way out to Redcliffe Hill. Clearly, Bristol can't build its way out of traffic congestion so public transport must be the way forward but I don't know if the city will ever be brave enough to do what it has to do without upsetting the car lobby/Bristol Post.

At the Centre, I got off and hopped onto a waiting m3. This was the recently reliveried 36821, used to provide additional capacity on this service, reflecting the growth in loadings. This doesn't have the metrobus moquette but very impressively, it had a full set of route branding and metrobus vinyls internally. Loadings were modest with most for UWE as we followed my earlier steed 2915 on the m1. We arrived at Emersons and I walked up to grab a Costa before getting the next 48 (it arrived with another 48 and a 49 all within a minute) to Downend. Now, I don't think I've ever got a 48 from Emersons as the area round Leap Valley was very unfamiliar. Standard e400 33794 displayed all the issues of build quality as we went over speed bump after speed bump, and I was happy to exit at Downend. The plan was to catch the 5 - one of my favourite Bristol routes and possibly a rare Dart experience. Instead, it was recently reallocated Streetlite 47571. Now, this is the thing. The driver was a lady (Louise?) who I had chance to talk to at Downend, allowing me to keep warm as she nipped to the ladies, and she then drove that bus expertly. People have a thing about Streetlites but this is the ideal type of route for them, they need to be set up correctly, and they need to be driven and not merely aimed! In terms of her demeanour with passengers and her technical skill, she was excellent. We made our way through Oldbury Court and Fishponds (being passed by a couple of Darts) and then down into the inner city. I got off outside Debenhams in time to miss the m2 but that gave me time to nip to the sandwich shop to have a very disappointing bacon baguette - if you're tempted, don't!

Round into Bond Street and my final metrobus which was the m2 and 36809. At that time of day, loadings were again light and we headed off along Spike Island and then onto the busway. As has been said elsewhere by better people than me, it's a real curate's egg. The bus lane near Spike Island is patchy and also has daytime parking on it. The bits of guided busway seem superfluous with the except of Ashton Avenue bridge and the flyover seems overly engineered. All very strange. We arrived at the P&R and 36810 was already waiting - this seems to be a common experience in that daytime times and workings mean it is very slack at that end. I happened to get another chatty driver and he was very complimentary about the Scanias, especially in respect to the brakes when people pull out in front of him.

However, I couldn't hang around as I walked briskly to Brookgate stop near the SBR (can you think of a more obscure place to get a bus?) to catch the U2. Did cross my mind as to whether it would stop there (despite the times on the stop) but 37609 duly appeared. Now, a couple more observations on this. It doesn't serve the P&R despite it going through it. I know there are covenants but, to my mind, it is similar to the 505 so should it not also call in? Perhaps that's the point - making sure it doesn't take that trade? Also, 37609 has also been retrimmed with the same blue/green moquette as the Portway/Briz deckers and in the new Solos. Just my opinion but it looks like the sort of stuff from a 1980s tube train, and looks especially bad with purple seat backs and lilac laminates. Can only assume they got a job lot and/or whoever specified that is colourblind. However, it was a belting trip out on a very lightly loaded B9 as we bounced along to Lower Langford, with only one other passenger for company. I got off at the Vet College but then had the walk back to the village (I had time to kill) before my only cash fare for the A5. It duly arrived and I got Carmel Solo YJ16DFE to Sandford.

It was at this point that I had a choice to make as to going via Weston or Wells on the 126. In hindsight, wish I'd done Weston but instead went for the 126 to Wells, though sadly the diversion at Draycott has now ended so it was the standard route. It was now mid afternoon and we had a very tidy Eclipse 66942 - quite tidy considering it's still in Barbie and not had any internal work done. Clearly it is on loan from Bath depot to help Wells and it went very well with hardly a rattle on it. Passenger figures thinned out by Cheddar, explaining why it is only an hourly service. At Wells, I spied the pride of the BoS fleet, with a 15 plate e200 on the Bridgwater service. I nipped off for a decent meal, and returned after a jacket spud with veg thai red curry to get my bus back to Bath. It was a decker - my first foray on the 174 with a B9 and it was 37771. Now sadly, it doesn't have the internal branding - it just had two ads for FAST stroke detection which was rather disappointing. However, I'm reckoning that if the other Eclipses on that corridor are replaced by Geminis, then ALL the deckers will be so treated. It also has the green/blue seating - I was feeling bilious with it. That said, 37771 was a real joy to travel on, much nicer than 37758 earlier that day from the same batch. The 174 is a lovely route anyway but even better on a decker though it did seem incongruous as we went through Dinder.

I got off at Odd Down (near the Red Lion) as I had a plan to catch the U2 to UoB but guess what, it never appeared. However, I just decided that I'd had a lovely day, and seen the interior of enough buses and the light was going so I turned and walked back to the P&R. Just got there and Eclipse 69438 went past - absolutely heaving so clearly more deckers are needed on that corridor. I think there's still more growth to be had on there - the promo stuff has gone from Wells bus station (the signage is also out of date) and new bus flags (a la Discover) might also help but to be fair to First, they've done a great job in developing that corridor. I trust that the X39 will also benefit similarly and I'm sure it's on the list - in JF we trust.

Sorry for waffling and hope it was of interest.
Indeed it was, thanks for sharing. Feeling more inspired to do one now, it's been ages since I've had a bus day. Will give some thoughts a bit later!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Indeed it was, thanks for sharing. Feeling more inspired to do one now, it's been ages since I've had a bus day. Will give some thoughts a bit later!

I hope you're both suitably inspired and will let us know where you go.

Another little observation from yesterday was the age and condition of the First Bristol fleet, and the quite old vehicles used on core services; the 75 was predominantly old B7TLs from 2002 to 2005. There has been investment over the last couple of years but when you look at it, it's been for specific routes that are often part of a package with an age stipulation e.g. the Airport Flyer, the two P&Rs, the U1 Unibus. There have been the 24 Scania deckers but arguably most of those are for the m2 (a repackaged 903 to be honest) and m3 (a beefed up mashup of the UWE express and the X48) though, to be fair, the others are to upgrade the T1 and Y1. However, it's probably the Fishponds Road fleet from late 2016 that were the last new vehicles for the core city routes. Don't know when the First gas buses are due but can hope they're coming for the 42-45 routes and will allow some of the older members to be removed from the fleet.

Blackpudding

KK, I should have queried this before but 37161-37165 are in Hoeford, Hants. Did you mean to say from 37166 the first of the Blantyre batch?