• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Blackpudding

We’re aware of the tax issue - DVLA made a mistake, as it’s recently lost its cherished plate and reverted to its original.

23011/012 have gone to an operator in Ireland, 013/014/15/19/20 have been sold to an operator in Liverpool allegedly.

Cheers. Appreciate the informative reply.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nailseabus

A dart with First Kernow fleet names passed through Nailsea heading for Bristol at 2.00pm today. Unfortunately I was unable to get either the fleet number of registration mark.

Andyh82

Established Member
ABus were using two Solos on the X8 this morning, with an orange citaro on the 349 as a result. Is that normal?

vicbury

Interesting allocations on the 4 in Bath today, with at least four double deckers, including:
  • One standard livery B7
  • One purple B7 with stickers removed
  • Two blue B7s with blue Unibus livery
What's happened to all the Streetlites?

B7rleThrasher

Interesting allocations on the 4 in Bath today, with at least four double deckers, including:
  • One standard livery B7
  • One purple B7 with stickers removed
  • Two blue B7s with blue Unibus livery
What's happened to all the Streetlites?

Multiple vehicles out on Rail Replacement.

I had Wells 69437 for my stint on rail this morning (Bradford-Westbury-Chippenham-Bath) followed by 30871 on my 19!

Attachments

• 380B6303-06DC-426D-9F39-7A91AF1795B5.jpeg
    380B6303-06DC-426D-9F39-7A91AF1795B5.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 36

Whiteway215

Established Member
Multiple vehicles out on Rail Replacement.

I had Wells 69437 for my stint on rail this morning (Bradford-Westbury-Chippenham-Bath) followed by 30871 on my 19!
Can you give us any idea on the state of 30871 as its fellows 30872/3/5 have fallen by the wayside leaving only 71 and 77?

Last edited:

spw24

well 30871/7 are both still running so cant be that bad. 30875 is engine trouble think 72/3 were both corrosion

henairs

Hi,
Interesting visitor to Wells on 376 this afternoon was LH based 37627 which was deputising for a failed Streetdeck which I was informed was 35148
Another standard livery Trident on Taunton depot this morning. Thought it was 32955 but there was one in that livery on Bridgwater depot a short time later so any clues folks ?
Yeovil's 53205 also in naughty corner Taunton depot. E300 67600 out on route 21 seen Bridgwater.
Cheers, Mike R

D2007wsm

Established Member
ABus were using two Solos on the X8 this morning, with an orange citaro on the 349 as a result. Is that normal?
It isn’t uncommon to see a Solo on an X8. Generally the 349 Monday to Friday it is a decker, but anything can make an appearance.

Usually on a Saturday, the 349 is Citaros on Abus’ boards and a Gemini on the First board. They don’t need the Citaros for the X8s as all boards on a Saturday are usually First B7RLEs, for now!

Private Baxter

Established Member
I guess Leicester have the pressures of a Clean Air Zone with a number of aged B7Ls so makes sense but yes, it’s a shame.
With all the rage about deckers in our area, I still think these are amongst the best buses in our region. Smart, powerful buses.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
With all the rage about deckers in our area, I still think these are amongst the best buses in our region. Smart, powerful buses.

Victims of the success of the Mendip Explorer reboot. They’re good machines but have seen some packed out (though with the caveat of possibly late vehicles skewing loadings). Just can’t cope.

It did look like they’d stay for 178,T2 and Y3 (?) but will the older ones get tarted up instead?

henairs

So will I. I wouldn't have thought that double-deckers will be good on all routes.

Dave
Would be an interesting trip on the 126 Wells - Weston route with a Decker though. More of a Streetlite route I suppose in the future after the B7s.
Very good to see the Mendip routes doing so well though.
Cheers, Mike R

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Would be an interesting trip on the 126 Wells - Weston route with a Decker though. More of a Streetlite route I suppose in the future after the B7s.
Very good to see the Mendip routes doing so well though.
Cheers, Mike R

Don't think a decker would last long on the 126!! Mind you, loadings are such that I reckon it will be on Eclipses for a while longer.

It is good to see the ME routes doing well. I would a) be intrigued to see what they could do further to improve the 376 in terms of vehicle quality and b) like to see them remove the tired bus flags on the routes and replace with fresh ones (as they did with Discover).

The odd thing with Discover is they replaced the flags in places like Urchfont and Sells Green (served only at night and Sunday) but missed ones in places like Hinton Charterhouse that they serve every 30 mins!!! I'd be really curious to know how Discover has done at both growing the market and/or disrupting Faresaver.

AB93

What routes again can't be double deckers? Other than the 24 in Bristol.

5 in Bath.
Discover D1.

Bristol 8/9/72 (Temple Meads canopy).
Bristol m2 and A1 low height only.
37/19/19A low height only.

Sure there must be more.

freetoview33

Established Member
5 in Bath.
Discover D1.

Bristol 8/9/72 (Temple Meads canopy).
Bristol m2 and A1 low height only.
37/19/19A low height only.

Sure there must be more.
As said before it is only fairly recently they have decided the Temple Meads Canopy is an issue. M2 and A1 is because of the Ashton Ave bridge.

What is the obstruction with the 5/D1/37/19/19A?

B7rleThrasher

As said before it is only fairly recently they have decided the Temple Meads Canopy is an issue. M2 and A1 is because of the Ashton Ave bridge.

The 19/19A can be a high decker - but the running cards interwork with the 37 where there is a low bridge in Bitton.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

This is the bridge at Willsbridge https://flic.kr/p/nxZUsb

The 5 is Twerton Arch https://flic.kr/p/FLcqi3

The D1 is the bridge at Wilton - think it’s only about 14’ or something? Been hit by many lorries

Whiteway215

Established Member

Well the 5 in Bath has the very low railway arch where the buses turn off from Lower Bristol Road into Twerton. At least two deckers have found out they were too high! One of them was 39920 which explains why it is an open topper / tree lopper now. Is 39920 still around anywhere?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Well the 5 in Bath has the very low railway arch where the buses turn off from Lower Bristol Road into Twerton. At least two deckers have found out they were too high! One of them was 39920 which explains why it is an open topper / tree lopper now. Is 39920 still around anywhere?

Parked up out of use outside Weymouth depot yesterday

AB93

It isn’t uncommon to see a Solo on an X8. Generally the 349 Monday to Friday it is a decker, but anything can make an appearance.

Usually on a Saturday, the 349 is Citaros on Abus’ boards and a Gemini on the First board. They don’t need the Citaros for the X8s as all boards on a Saturday are usually First B7RLEs, for now!

Abus run all three 349 workings on Saturdays now. So First only have the last journey, like on weekdays.