• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whiteway215

Established Member
Deckers on the Bath 3 / 3A are not that common (usually E200s) but I was quite surprised on a bank holiday to find 30877 turning up on it.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Deckers on the Bath 3 / 3A are not that common (usually E200s) but I was quite surprised on a bank holiday to find 30877 turning up on it.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Marcus Fryer

69441 (ME) on the 2 this afternoon - just left Cribbs Causeway (16:48 departure). It's being shown on 'Bus Times'.

Last edited:

D2007wsm

Established Member
See there’s a few allocation changes relating to Weston depot. 4 x B9s there - all from Lawrence Hill. What’s being shipped out? Perhaps the two Eclipses heading off?

Also, 32688 has indeed gone to Wells as “predicted” ;)
Nothing is being shipped off from Weston. The 2 B7RLEs are used on the X5 and are adequate for the boards they operate with E400s operating the busier boards.

The B9s are down there for the summer whilst the frequency of services is lower due to the Unis being away in Bristol. They’re there to be used on the 1 and 20 during inclement weather instead of sending the ALX400 open tops out.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Nothing is being shipped off from Weston. The 2 B7RLEs are used on the X5 and are adequate for the boards they operate with E400s operating the busier boards.

The B9s are down there for the summer whilst the frequency of services is lower due to the Unis being away in Bristol. They’re there to be used on the 1 and 20 during inclement weather instead of sending the ALX400 open tops out.
I know the Eclipses are employed predominantly on the X5.

Just seems odd that they are sending 4 extra deckers there for inclement weather when the open toppers are only partials anyway.

D2007wsm

Established Member
I know the Eclipses are employed predominantly on the X5.

Just seems odd that they are sending 4 extra deckers there for inclement weather when the open toppers are only partials anyway.
The open tops are indeed only part open top, but even with this sometimes in the summer if the back half of upstairs can’t be used they overload.

This was not the main reason, they suffer from water ingress downstairs particularly in the cabs. The main reason for this was for the comfort of the drivers having to sit in them for a long time and to stop them getting cold and wet, whilst the leaks are sorted.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The open tops are indeed only part open top, but even with this sometimes in the summer if the back half of upstairs can’t be used they overload.

This was not the main reason, they suffer from water ingress downstairs particularly in the cabs. The main reason for this was for the comfort of the drivers having to sit in them for a long time and to stop them getting cold and wet, whilst the leaks are sorted.

The latter isn’t an unknown problem with open toppers but not often you have to have a whole shadow fleet!

As always at this time of year, plenty of reallocations. Noticed the 178 was 100% StreetLite. Expect more 2009 Eclipses will be heading off soon?

Guess they’ll be having a party and cake to celebrate the first anniversary of having a load of Bath hybrids sat in LH depot! With a new financial year, might we see these getting repowered? Mind you, tender is up for Bath P&R next year so be interesting to see what low emission tech might be used for that. CNG? Electric? Hydrogen?

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
Steve White tells us a number of York Merc bendis are heading to Bath.I wonder what these will replace? 10036/7? The Uni liveried purple B7TLs of the 32xxx series? Or perhaps to bolster the Uni fleet from September following last year's need to hire in extra buses/coaches.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Steve White tells us a number of York Merc bendis are heading to Bath.I wonder what these will replace? 10036/7? The Uni liveried purple B7TLs of the 32xxx series? Or perhaps to bolster the Uni fleet from September following last year's need to hire in extra buses/coaches.

Would it be the B7LAs that haven’t been subject to emissions upgrades??

ValleyLines142

Established Member

11111 is out and about on the U1 today.

32669 also on the U2.

D2007wsm

Established Member
A Mendip Explorer B7RLE has been on the Y4 all day minus it’s Mendip Explorer lettering

Whiteway215

Established Member
See there’s a few allocation changes relating to Weston depot. 4 x B9s there - all from Lawrence Hill. What’s being shipped out? Perhaps the two Eclipses heading off?

Also, 32688 has indeed gone to Wells as “predicted” ;)
32688 on Bath 3 this afternoon. 32669 must have had its engine repaired then.Will 32008 have its engine repaired?

vicbury

Edit: this has already been covered above so sorry for the duplication!

Interesting to see that Steve White reports that an ex-York Mercedes Citaro bendy bus is being trialled on the U1 in Bath. I'm a big fan of these and would welcome them. I'd be surprised if they comply with Bath's forthcoming (watered-down) clean air zone though.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Edit: this has already been covered above so sorry for the duplication!

Interesting to see that Steve White reports that an ex-York Mercedes Citaro bendy bus is being trialled on the U1 in Bath. I'm a big fan of these and would welcome them. I'd be surprised if they comply with Bath's forthcoming (watered-down) clean air zone though.
The first day of the trial must have been a success-11111 out and about on U1 this morning. Love the full York P&R livery but hope it doesn't confuse the students! 32688 on U2. 32673 on 172/174.

Tommy Walters

The students won't get confusuex
The first day of the trial must have been a success-11111 out and about on U1 this morning. Love the full York P&R livery but hope it doesn't confuse the students! 32688 on U2. 32673 on 172/174.

The students won't get confused!! We've already had Coaster, Slow-Coaster, plain Blue, plain white, plus all the other hired in buses back in October!! Strange how it's being trialled so late in the uni year though, buses rarely run 100% full at this point with exams in full swing!!

richw

Veteran Member
Strange how it's being trialled so late in the uni year though

Trials for the following academic year often take place late in the preceding year. Passengers number wise a bendy takes More than a decker with quicker loading/unloading so passengers number wise isn’t an issue.
Presumably it’s route testing and checking suitability

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Indeed, probably trialing it when it is quieter so any kinks / issues can be worked out before it gets crazy busy!

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

They probably would have been suprised to see York based fleet in Bath, similar to how suprised I was when seeing First Leeds skylines in Bristol in December. Really I should post this in the First West Yorkshire and York thread but I do think that First Leeds is dispensing with the Leeds skylines livery and replacing it with the LeedsCity livery instead, similar to how the Badgerline brand is used for Weston town services.

These Citario's should still have their First York P&R route diagrams in them which are located where the internal advertising is normally stuck, as the Turquoise Line diagram is slightly different to all the others (clue: look at the First logo on them).