• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Tommy Walters

As all the students are now back at Bath Uni I thought I would have a brief womble around to see what was going on.
I started with the U2 - all seven PVR working although running a bit late because of traffic. A large articulated wagon parked right outside Ralph Allen School at going in time causing chaos! 53806 on one of the U2s.
Then went down Bathwick Hill. About five bendis and two deckers passed me coming up the hill-standing loads and that was about 11 o'clock. I was following two deckers down the hill. Some clown of a TNT truck driver then decided to park at the very point that bendis have to carefully negotiate an awkward narrow bit-with cars parked on the opposite side of the road.
More deckers and bendis passed along Pulteney Road and North Parade. It was a continuous shuttle service.
I'm afraid I only saw about three U3s and they were bendis and a 400MMC.
I saw no evidence of outside bus companies giving any support- I only saw First Bath vehicles, apart from the two First Wessex loan deckers.

One thing I will say I saw no evidence of queueing students as per last year. It may have been a different situation earlier this morning but I can only report what I saw.
Further to this, I can confirm that the queuing situations are much better, & that there are loan vehicles from Abus (x2), Faresaver (x2), Bath Bus Company (x1), Camberwick? (x2) plus others!!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bradley

On Moderation
Whiteway215 35161 was on 172/173/174 today and I was looking at the tracker and I think 35163 was on the 376 today and 35166 aswell.

Bradley

On Moderation
It’s ok Whiteway215 and also 35148 is still at Wells as it should be in the last 376 from street to Wells tonight.

Private Baxter

Established Member
It would seem that the majority of them are still in Wells, if not all in service. From what I can tell, only two are currently in service at Hengrove, with 35162 working the 90, and 35167 on 70/71.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Some hired/loan buses on U1/U3 today. Weavaway s/d YX69NWC (I think) Abus SN04CPE Arleen Scania YN07LDX Camberwick decker CW53TOP (in Emerald green- can see it for miles!)
67633 on 5 (FWE legal lettering) 37585 on 19.

Tommy Walters

Some hired/loan buses on U1/U3 today. Weavaway s/d YX69NWC (I think) Abus SN04CPE Arleen Scania YN07LDX Camberwick decker CW53TOP (in Emerald green- can see it for miles!)
67633 on 5 (FWE legal lettering) 37585 on 19.
The reg of that Weavaway e200 is correct. I also saw Faresaver BX12CVK/M, Bath Bus Company A504 (SK53USH?) & Abus AP53BUS. In total I think there are 8 or possibly 9 loan buses, possibly another one or two from Camberwick that I didn't see!!

Bradley

On Moderation
As Bath have buses on loan from Weymouth and different companies does that mean Bath is short in buses aswell like same as Lawrence Hill in Bristol and does that mean Bath is waiting for buses to come down from somewhere for permanent transfer.

Tommy Walters

As Bath have buses on loan from Weymouth and different companies does that mean Bath is short in buses aswell like same as Lawrence Hill in Bristol and does that mean Bath is waiting for buses to come down from somewhere for permanent transfer.
The ones from external companies were always planned to be hired in under the proposal set out be first in the summer. Not sure about the Weymouth pair however. One question - are the York Citaros still planning on being sent to Bath?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The ones from external companies were always planned to be hired in under the proposal set out be first in the summer. Not sure about the Weymouth pair however. One question - are the York Citaros still planning on being sent to Bath?

Bradley - the plan was to bring in mid life vehicles for general fleet replacement and conversion of services to DD. Then you had 20-ish old bits of tat to act as Q-busters - 15 have arrived (6 x Essex Tridents, 2 x Manc B7TLs, 3 x Scot East B7TLs, 4 x York B7TLs). Obviously, the issue of the Leeds Streetdecks and the wider problem with Wright vehicles will have pose a challenge, so bets are off.

The York Citaros won't be free until November - think that was the expected date of delivery for the new York P&R deckers?

Whiteway215

Established Member
Fairly soon after 30871's incident and just when every bus is needed, 32284 has sustained nearside roof damage which looks fairly nasty. I have no details of how it happened but the last bus tracker entry says it was on 173 on 27 Sept.

GRAHAMJ

On a slightly different note, anyone seen the new First Discovery D2 / D3 timetables which start 10th November according to Gov.uk ?

Bradley

On Moderation
Tommy Walters 32015 is not tracking the moment I do believe you as it’s out but just saying it’s not tracking on the map or on the incomplete fleet list.

Tommy Walters

Tommy Walters 32015 is not tracking the moment I do believe you as it’s out but just saying it’s not tracking on the map or on the incomplete fleet list.
I am aware it isn't tracking, 37585-6 & 67633 all do not track either. It has now gone back to the depot anyway, presumably coming back before the afternoon peak.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Good to see 32015 now repaired and in service on U3. Clearly it hasn't had its displays updated, as they were showing the old U1X!!
Very pleased to hear this one is back with reportedly bits taken from damaged 32090.
32284 is having its roof repaired I hear. Let's hope they have plenty of old Barbie paint to touch up the repair! But then Bath still has a fair number of buses still in Barbie so they probably have gallons (or should I say litres) of Barbie paint in stock!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Bradley - you have to appreciate that bustimes is only accurate 90% of the time. Recently, we've seen the incorrect tracking claims of 39005 working a 179 and a Bath bendi operating the X9! In fact, we've also had the instances of two vehicles claiming to be in two different places. 39005 was allegedly working the 21 and 179 whilst 36836 was working the A1 and the 71; in those cases, it's fairly obvious that they were working the 21 and the A1, and that other vehicles were masquerading.

Ticket machines are swapped regularly and aren't always updated with new fleet numbers etc. So handy as bustimes is, don't treat it as 100% accurate as it isn't. 32015 being long term VOR will have donated its machine to another vehicle and will now have received one from elsewhere.

Last edited:

Tommy Walters

Bizarrely 53858 ended up on the evening Bath U1s today (not a bus times error, I've seen it). Dread to think how it will cope with the evening clubbers!!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

This looks like a reheated Greater Bristol Bus Network for which First had the 58 and 09 Geminis and 59 plate Eclipses. The highlighted ones are the ones that were featured then and now
  • M32, from south of Junction 2 to Bristol City Centre
  • A4018 Bristol to Cribbs Causeway
  • A4018 Bristol to Cribbs Causeway via Parkway and North Fringe
  • A432 Bristol to Yate
  • A4 Bristol to Bath
  • A37 Bristol to Midsomer Norton and Radstock
  • A4174 Avon Ring Road
  • A370 Bristol to Weston-super-Mare
  • A369 Bristol to Portishead
  • A367 Bath to Midsomer Norton and Radstock
So in addition, there is the A4 Portway, Muller Road, A38 Bridgwater Road. The A420 also features in this story - that was also a quality bus corridor for which 37318-37359 were delivered IIRC??

ps love the Bristol post web line for the brsitol bus deal