• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Private Baxter

Established Member
32075 is showing as 53815 on Bus times, so I'd presume that both Solos have gone. I believe there are 11 e200s in Bath (44520-6/553-4/6/907), which is more than enough to cover the 1 & 179, as well as some 20 or 42 workings. The issue at the moment is that they are regularly ending up on the 5 or 19/19A due to some severe B7RLE shortages. 66732 & 66884 have been VOR for some time, and yesterday none of the 66881-4 batch were running. Perhaps this explains the e300s not going on to Wells as initially planned?
Thought I hadn't seen 66732 for a while. Wonder where that is? That's is better shape than a lot of them.
Meanwhile 66881-4 were working rail replacement around Bristol Parkway on Saturday, or at least some of them were.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Thought I hadn't seen 66732 for a while. Wonder where that is? That's is better shape than a lot of them.
Meanwhile 66881-4 were working rail replacement around Bristol Parkway on Saturday, or at least some of them were.
I last saw 10177 53818 66732 66884 in service in August. 32284 is off with roof damage.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I had a day off yesterday and having dropped my other half at work in Bath, I decided to purchase an AvonRider. Most of the journeys were First and thought I'd share my observations.

I parked up in Newbridge P&R, seeing the aforementioned 30877 clunking its way on the 21. However, I decided against getting that in favour of the 19A. It was about 15 mins late (not a great start) and rather than the expected ALX or hoped for Eclipse or e300, it was ex Glasgow Gemini 32544. Being behind time, the driver gave it a bit of a push and actually, it seemed a decent enough machine. However, it just seemed rather faded internally but otherwise, it was warm, comfortable and seemed to go well without being too noisy. We picked up passengers consistently without being busy. I elected to exit at Staple Hill, and wandered around the corner to catch a 49 to Lyde Green. Rather than a 2016 e400mmc, it was B9 37347 which is arguably a better machine than the e400s. However, hunger pangs saw me get off at Emersons, grab a Costa and then go round for the m3, on which 36802 was waiting.

Been a little while since I've been on the m3 and I was interested to see how it's doing passenger wise. To be honest, it wasn't spectacular nor bad. 3 of us left Emersons, another 4 at Lyde Green P&R, and then 2 or 3 at most stops along the ring road. The vehicle itself was nicely driven and the interior is nicely specced but the amount of body creaking is noticeable (and it seems to be an issue on these). Is it something to do with the construction and the dual doors?? I don't know. Off at UWE, and then the m1 to Cribbs. Hadn't done that bit before (I know, well behind the times) and it was quite busy on BCT 2928. By this time, the rush hour traffic had died and I'd be interested to see how it goes through Sadly when the traffic is bad.

A quick change at Cribbs onto the 3 and one of the recent arrivals in 31146 from Scotland. Well.... the plus points are that it's been repainted for its role on the 3/4. It's also actually a decent enough machine, with very few squeaks and rattles (much less than the e400mmcs). The seats are very tired (though you can easily see the replacements!) but the worst thing is that whilst they removed the old adverts, they could've given it a deep clean. Just looked grubby and not impressed by the N/S front window that had been secured with a load of black sealant - not a professional job. Still, into Avonmouth on time and then a short wait for Stagecoach e200 36095 on the 11, a route I'd not done since First ran the 18.

Now I'd been on one of this batch before and thought it past its prime. However, this one had clearly had a refurb (passed 36098 coming the other way and it had faded seats). However, you can see why First gave up on the 18 - late morning, and it was all concessions. Can't recall a fare being issued. I hopped off at WoT and decided to lunch so into the Lounge and some avocado and toast (very metropolitan elite). I then had no idea of where I was going to go so had a quick check on bus times to see that there was something interesting..... a tendered 623 operated by Eurotaxis to Hallen and back to Cribbs that only runs Mon/Wed/Fri. I was sold and so off I went. After a discussion about my First issued AvonRider and convincing the driver it was valid, off we went on a long wheelbase, slightly scuffed, Solo. It was clearly a pensioner special and no fares were issued. We headed off to Hallen but the service also serves a dead end where a Solo is really the best type of vehicle to use. The timings are rather relaxed so had a chat with the driver (bored waiting time) before we headed back to Cribbs.

I then got a 75 as I fancied a trip to Horfield and a rather luxurious 37317 with its high backed seats duly arrived. Sadly, so did a woman who seemed to be moving house with four huge suitcases, each on sack barrows, plus assorted carrier bags. The driver ushered me on before politely refusing her travel. We headed down before I stupidly got off a stop early and so missed my intended new deckered 24 so I trudged down Gloucester Road and got 76 into town with another ex Scottish B9 in 32548 - very similar to my 19A experience.

After getting off in the city centre, it was off to the bus station and my final trip back to Bath on the X39. However, instead of the usual, it was a loan vehicle in First Wessex B9 37586. Made for a nice change though the eLeather had seen better days but we headed off for a hearty trip back to Bath.

Hope this was of interest.

Tommy Walters

You're right, 66732 is a tidy machine, I'm really surprised given the specification it was refurbished inside to (new seat covers + USB ports), that it wasn't given a repaint into Mendip Explorer livery to directly replace crash victim 66721!! That explains that batch being absent, wonder why these branded examples were chosen over 66725/938 & the e300s?

AllanMacF

Thanks Grandwazoo, that was a fascinating and revealing tale of your travels! Just shows you never know what might turn up on any route! Very glad you gave the ALX400s a good rating (in general!). Pity you missed was a President.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks Grandwazoo, that was a fascinating and revealing tale of your travels! Just shows you never know what might turn up on any route! Very glad you gave the ALX400s a good rating (in general!). Pity you missed was a President.

Was the avocado the revealing bit? ;) You can't rely on any bus type except perhaps the metrobus routes. All part of the charm of a day out and I certainly didn't start the day thinking I'd end up heading to an isolated caravan park at the end of a dead end in Hallen!

The ALXs are decent vehicles though the W regs (with their awful seating) really are showing their age. I did see 32225 just by the old Wessex depot in Avonmouth so nearly there and I was thinking I might have got one on the 75/76 (some knackered Trident perhaps) but never mind.

lx12ddo

We have at least 4 (37757, 37759, 37765, 37767) of the X39 Bristol/Bath allocated buses on the U1/U3 routes this afternoon. I’m very happy about this as a user of the routes. But this is very unlike the Bath depot

EDIT: 37766 has joined in too.

Last edited:

vicbury

We have at least 4 (37757, 37759, 37765, 37767) of the X39 Bristol/Bath allocated buses on the U1/U3 routes this afternoon. I’m very happy about this as a user of the routes. But this is very unlike the Bath depot

EDIT: 37766 has joined in too.
What on earth was on the X39 then?!

Whiteway215

Established Member
The tracker said 30877 was on X39 until early yesterday evening and the usual X39 B9s are said to be back on the X39 today.

lx12ddo

Maybe the B9s cope better with Bathwick Hill? Or maybe just the usual Bath 'if it fits it sits' attitude to allocations!
There were a lot of the ex Manch B9s on the X39 instead. So I’m guessing a fair few B7s would have been on the 3/4 instead. Very peculiar, but yes I think they just took whatever was at Bath Bus Station at the start of the afternoon peak and if it fit it went on the route. But 757 and 767 were on the U3 even on the off-peak. So hey, interesting day to say the least.

Private Baxter

Established Member
I had a day off yesterday and having dropped my other half at work in Bath, I decided to purchase an AvonRider. Most of the journeys were First and thought I'd share my observations.

I parked up in Newbridge P&R, seeing the aforementioned 30877 clunking its way on the 21. However, I decided against getting that in favour of the 19A. It was about 15 mins late (not a great start) and rather than the expected ALX or hoped for Eclipse or e300, it was ex Glasgow Gemini 32544. Being behind time, the driver gave it a bit of a push and actually, it seemed a decent enough machine. However, it just seemed rather faded internally but otherwise, it was warm, comfortable and seemed to go well without being too noisy. We picked up passengers consistently without being busy. I elected to exit at Staple Hill, and wandered around the corner to catch a 49 to Lyde Green. Rather than a 2016 e400mmc, it was B9 37347 which is arguably a better machine than the e400s. However, hunger pangs saw me get off at Emersons, grab a Costa and then go round for the m3, on which 36802 was waiting.

Been a little while since I've been on the m3 and I was interested to see how it's doing passenger wise. To be honest, it wasn't spectacular nor bad. 3 of us left Emersons, another 4 at Lyde Green P&R, and then 2 or 3 at most stops along the ring road. The vehicle itself was nicely driven and the interior is nicely specced but the amount of body creaking is noticeable (and it seems to be an issue on these). Is it something to do with the construction and the dual doors?? I don't know. Off at UWE, and then the m1 to Cribbs. Hadn't done that bit before (I know, well behind the times) and it was quite busy on BCT 2928. By this time, the rush hour traffic had died and I'd be interested to see how it goes through Sadly when the traffic is bad.

A quick change at Cribbs onto the 3 and one of the recent arrivals in 31146 from Scotland. Well.... the plus points are that it's been repainted for its role on the 3/4. It's also actually a decent enough machine, with very few squeaks and rattles (much less than the e400mmcs). The seats are very tired (though you can easily see the replacements!) but the worst thing is that whilst they removed the old adverts, they could've given it a deep clean. Just looked grubby and not impressed by the N/S front window that had been secured with a load of black sealant - not a professional job. Still, into Avonmouth on time and then a short wait for Stagecoach e200 36095 on the 11, a route I'd not done since First ran the 18.

Now I'd been on one of this batch before and thought it past its prime. However, this one had clearly had a refurb (passed 36098 coming the other way and it had faded seats). However, you can see why First gave up on the 18 - late morning, and it was all concessions. Can't recall a fare being issued. I hopped off at WoT and decided to lunch so into the Lounge and some avocado and toast (very metropolitan elite). I then had no idea of where I was going to go so had a quick check on bus times to see that there was something interesting..... a tendered 623 operated by Eurotaxis to Hallen and back to Cribbs that only runs Mon/Wed/Fri. I was sold and so off I went. After a discussion about my First issued AvonRider and convincing the driver it was valid, off we went on a long wheelbase, slightly scuffed, Solo. It was clearly a pensioner special and no fares were issued. We headed off to Hallen but the service also serves a dead end where a Solo is really the best type of vehicle to use. The timings are rather relaxed so had a chat with the driver (bored waiting time) before we headed back to Cribbs.

I then got a 75 as I fancied a trip to Horfield and a rather luxurious 37317 with its high backed seats duly arrived. Sadly, so did a woman who seemed to be moving house with four huge suitcases, each on sack barrows, plus assorted carrier bags. The driver ushered me on before politely refusing her travel. We headed down before I stupidly got off a stop early and so missed my intended new deckered 24 so I trudged down Gloucester Road and got 76 into town with another ex Scottish B9 in 32548 - very similar to my 19A experience.

After getting off in the city centre, it was off to the bus station and my final trip back to Bath on the X39. However, instead of the usual, it was a loan vehicle in First Wessex B9 37586. Made for a nice change though the eLeather had seen better days but we headed off for a hearty trip back to Bath.

Hope this was of interest.
Thanks for sharing the highlights. Sounds you had a rather unexpected day, in terms of allocations and what not. Have to be honest, those are not amongst my favourite routes, but still ones to try at least. Allocations on the 48/49 have been a little all over the place lately, due I think to the recent extension to Lyde Green and not having enough MMCs to cover the extra time (I think only one of the former 7XP buses has moved over), so there does seem to be a shortage. I've seen AXLs, B9s, and B7RLEs show up on the route over the last few weeks.

Your experience of the 11 is probably what I would expect - though far from a regular user of that service, I did use the 18 from time to time a few years ago and was never blown away by how busy it wasnt.

And good to see X39 still going strong with a consistent fleet of modern vehicles....!
Actually I have seen some of the ex northern stuff on there lately and is an improvement, but still waiting for an all new fleet for the route.... surely any time now!!

Anyway glad you had a productive day with it all!

Private Baxter

Established Member
You're right, 66732 is a tidy machine, I'm really surprised given the specification it was refurbished inside to (new seat covers + USB ports), that it wasn't given a repaint into Mendip Explorer livery to directly replace crash victim 66721!! That explains that batch being absent, wonder why these branded examples were chosen over 66725/938 & the e300s?
Maybe 66732 is being repainted as we speak....
I think i did see one barbie B7RLE out on rail replacement on Saturday, but didn't catch which one.
I think the reason 66732 wasnt a direct replacement is that shortly after 21's withdrawal, the 175 was dropped and so Wells were due to lose one bus anyway. The accident was conveniently timed in that respect.

Tommy Walters

There were a lot of the ex Manch B9s on the X39 instead. So I’m guessing a fair few B7s would have been on the 3/4 instead. Very peculiar, but yes I think they just took whatever was at Bath Bus Station at the start of the afternoon peak and if it fit it went on the route. But 757 and 767 were on the U3 even on the off-peak. So hey, interesting day to say the least.
And on top of all that, the all-night U1 allocation last night comprised 10036, 10183, 32290 & 33943!! I would imagine the residents of Oldfield Park & Bathwick Hill were delighted to hear 32290 & its cooling fan roaring away through the night! 10036 seems to have been on the same board for the last 3 days, meaning it ends up on a full night shift!!

lx12ddo

And on top of all that, the all-night U1 allocation last night comprised 10036, 10183, 32290 & 33943!! I would imagine the residents of Oldfield Park & Bathwick Hill were delighted to hear 32290 & its cooling fan roaring away through the night! 10036 seems to have been on the same board for the last 3 days, meaning it ends up on a full night shift!!
I thought I’d spotted 32290 around 1130pm last night but thought it was on the U5 when at Pines Way. The tracker on bustimes wasn’t working even in the slightest yesterday evening for the u1. Seems to be the same today. How did you check what the allocation was during the night?

Tommy Walters

I thought I’d spotted 32290 around 1130pm last night but thought it was on the U5 when at Pines Way. The tracker on bustimes wasn’t working even in the slightest yesterday evening for the u1. Seems to be the same today. How did you check what the allocation was during the night?
32290 came out at about 21:15 in Oldfield Park & swapped with 10162 which went back to the depot, why it was chosen over a presumably available e400 I have no idea. The U1 tracker isn't working properly as Bustimes is confusing it with the Bristol U1 for some reason, however departures are still showing up on the "vehicles" page, with individual updates available per vehicle. https://bustimes.org/operators/first-bristol-bath-the-west/services/U1/vehicles?date=2019-10-24

Bradley

On Moderation
On bus times for the U1 in Bath why is there 2 on there for the first one is showing no times but is tracking and shows 6 online and then the second U1 in Bath is the one with times on and that on is tracking but with only 3 so why does it track 6 on the first one and the second one with 3.

henairs

Hi all,
Yet another tracking query for someone to solve. 32222 seems to have left Bristol but has it returned to Weston or has it gone to Bath. It has shown as being on the Burnham to Weston 20 whilst also being on the 20 in the Roman city. As the other vehicles in Bath are E200s I would think it's yet another Bath error and the Trident has gone back to the seaside.
It's also common for the 20 anywhere to be heading to Weston-Super-Mare, again dodgy Bath tracking. Has anyone seen 32222 at either location please,
Cheers, Mike R

iantherev

It’s not necessarily a company problem. Most TrawsCymru services that have come from north of Brecon still show as services to Llandrindod or Hay even when they’re south of Pontypridd. Brecon gets a much better service from The tracking service than it does in reality as it can’t handle services that terminate in Merthyr. The tracking site is useful but it’s only as good as the data that goes in.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
32290 came out at about 21:15 in Oldfield Park & swapped with 10162 which went back to the depot, why it was chosen over a presumably available e400 I have no idea. The U1 tracker isn't working properly as Bustimes is confusing it with the Bristol U1 for some reason, however departures are still showing up on the "vehicles" page, with individual updates available per vehicle. https://bustimes.org/operators/first-bristol-bath-the-west/services/U1/vehicles?date=2019-10-24

Was clearly too much for 32290. Failed in Saltford tonight on a 19A and 32069 dispatched to replace it

I understand that Cymru 69252 and 69303 are the latest to turn up at First Leicester.

69252 is bit older than you'd expect given they've been shipping out Eclipses not much older.

lx12ddo

Fantastic, thanks for the info there. Would never have guessed it's on the Bristol U1....much more reasonable night allocation it seems with 3x E40D MMCs and 10167 tonight.

Tommy Walters

Fantastic, thanks for the info there. Would never have guessed it's on the Bristol U1....much more reasonable night allocation it seems with 3x E40D MMCs and 10167 tonight.
Yes, 10036 was swapped with 33943 at about 9pm - clearly it either gave up the ghost or the night driver didn't want it for the 3rd day in a row!!