• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

lx12ddo

Was a minute’s silence held by bus drivers in First WoE? It was held across London for the loss of the R11 driver in Orpington last week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BBC

Was a minute’s silence held by bus drivers in First WoE? It was held across London for the loss of the R11 driver in Orpington last week.
Normally the radio room tell us it’s ok to pull over and do the minute silence. I assume it was done this year but haven’t started yet!

Whiteway215

Established Member
Also 32279 and 53859 not registering on Tracker but both are on service. 30877 'Exploring the Mendips' yesterday and today.

Tommy Walters

Speaking of the tracker, I noticed that Discover liveried 69507 remarkably worked all night on the U1 yesterday!! Is a bendi or an older Decker running around with its ticket machine??

Last edited:

Established Member
I see in today's report about Bristol's diesel car ban that buses will pay £100 per day to enter the city centre. I don't know how many diesel buses First will have in Bristol in 2021, but just 28 running every day would take the annual cost over one million pounds. Is there any prediction of what effect that might have on bus provision in the city? Abus aren't happy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-50292596

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Speaking of the tracker, I noticed that Discover liveried 69507 remarkably worked all night on the U1 yesterday!! Is a bendi or an older Decker running around with its ticket machine??

It was seen on the U1 on Friday so don't think it's impersonating.

Nice traffic jam extending from Pennyquick towards the Globe this morning - 66727 failed having just turned out of Whiteway.

freetoview33

Established Member
I see in today's report about Bristol's diesel car ban that buses will pay £100 per day to enter the city centre. I don't know how many diesel buses First will have in Bristol in 2021, but just 28 running every day would take the annual cost over one million pounds. Is there any prediction of what effect that might have on bus provision in the city? Abus aren't happy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-50292596
What it fails to mention is it won't apply to Euro VI buses, so with gas buses and clean bus fund, it won't majorly have an effect on first. It is likely to be the end of ABus though, and would have been the end of SGBC if Stagecoach hadn't taken over.

carlberry

Established Member
What it fails to mention is it won't apply to Euro VI buses, so with gas buses and clean bus fund, it won't majorly have an effect on first. It is likely to be the end of ABus though, and would have been the end of SGBC if Stagecoach hadn't taken over.
How do you work that out? Even after the current gas buses have arrived I'd imagine first will still have hundreds of vehicles to replace/reengineer to cover this.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
How do you work that out? Even after the current gas buses have arrived I'd imagine first will still have hundreds of vehicles to replace/reengineer to cover this.

Have the 376 vehicles been upgraded to Euro VI? Mind you, there’s the Excel fleet to consider.

Even the 77 gas buses won’t replace all the B7TLs let alone deal with the B9TLs

freetoview33

Established Member
70+ Gas buses + The Euro VI Buses at the moment, Existing clean air funding which since 2015 has been for 282 buses across the region (With 166 for Bristol/Bath this year), additional funding of £4m from Bristol City Council to upgrade buses as part of this Clean Air Zone (If £2.8M can upgadge 166 buses then £4m can do more), Then maybe another gas bus order for 2020/21.

Should be done fairly easily.

freetoview33

Established Member
Have the 376 vehicles been upgraded to Euro VI? Mind you, there’s the Excel fleet to consider.

Even the 77 gas buses won’t replace all the B7TLs let alone deal with the B9TLs
I make it 282 buses not 376

2015 - 35 Buses
2017 - 81 Buses
2019 - 166 Buses

Then funding for 110 Gas buses (Cut to 70ish)

Dai Corner

Established Member
Take it they're doing the same with the Excel routes with the X3/X4 feeding into the new rail stations at Portishead and Pill and the others into Parson Street? ;)

Will the X6 be replaced with a shuttle to Yatton station? I remember the signs were 'Yatton for Clevedon' for many years, even though the bus service came and went.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Will the 376 still stop at the Bus Station.

Bradley - I think you're missing a bit of a joke here. The 376 will probably continue in future as it is now. The 376 vehicles are, I think (and hence the question) being upgraded to Euro VI compliance so they can operate into central Bristol. If they weren't, Carl was joking about them stopping short at Broadwalk but they won't.

carlberry

Established Member
Will the 376 still stop at the Bus Station.
Sorry, the comment about the 376 wasn't serious and was referring to the mayor's previously stated solution to congestion in Bristol which is to build an underground railway.

CD

There seems to be some confusion as to whether it applies to Euro VI vehicles or not.
Councillor Jerome Thomas seems to think it does.

“And it’s particularly important because the government is going to kick up a stink about a complete ban on diesel cars and lots of people who have invested £25,000 to £40,000 in a Euro 6 diesel car are going to kick up a big stink about being excluded from large parts of the city.”

carlberry

Established Member
There seems to be some confusion as to whether it applies to Euro VI vehicles or not.
Councillor Jerome Thomas seems to think it does.

“And it’s particularly important because the government is going to kick up a stink about a complete ban on diesel cars and lots of people who have invested £25,000 to £40,000 in a Euro 6 diesel car are going to kick up a big stink about being excluded from large parts of the city.”
As the scheme stands at present it does, all private diesel cars banned, however it's still got several hoops to get through before it happens.

Of course the quote above is about the usual standard for a Councillor as nobody asked them to invest in the car and they're not excluded, only their car. If you can afford that for a car you're likely to be able to afford another petrol one as a spare so you can continue to add to the congestion in Bristol!

freetoview33

Established Member
As the scheme stands at present it does, all private diesel cars banned, however it's still got several hoops to get through before it happens.

Of course the quote above is about the usual standard for a Councillor as nobody asked them to invest in the car and they're not excluded, only their car. If you can afford that for a car you're likely to be able to afford another petrol one as a spare so you can continue to add to the congestion in Bristol!
Yes euro vi cars are but not other vehicles

AllanMacF

35160 has been outshopped in red-front livery (retaining black upper-deck corners this time) and has even been branded .... not, however, for the 90, but instead carrying the words "Serving South Bristol"! Could this be to enable it to be used on the 91/92, I wonder? Or even 96?
Meanwhile, 35166 is now in fuchsia-front livery, complete with 70/71 branding.
Talking of route branding, running together into town through Henleaze a little after 9 o'clock yesterday on route 2 were blue-fronted, route 48/49-branded 33790 and purple-fronted, route 3/4-branded 32225! Ok, not unusual to see branded buses off route (and I don't intend to start another discussion on it!), but thought this an interesting event. Both seemed to stay on the 2 all day.