• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buses in Bath

What makes you say that? It was definitely 25th Feb! I drove it myself
Sorry I got confused with my notes of its workings. 36806 first started working in Bath on Friday 13th March and on its last day in Bristol it ran the 36 on Wednesday 12th February which made me think it was still in Bristol on the 12th March when in actual fact it was the 12th February. Whoops

freetoview33

Established Member
Services not running a Saturday tt next week. Some might nor run sats anyway.

19 (not running)
22 (normal service)
37a (not running)
42a (not running)
X49 (not running)
71 (not running)
177 (not running)
349 (normal service)
A2 (normal service)
D1 (normal service)
D2 (normal service)
D3 (normal service)
U1 (Sunday service)
U2 (normal service)
X1X (not running)
M3x (not running)
SB1 (normal service)

42 Bath (normal service)
U1 and U5 Bath (Sunday service)
U2, U3, U5, U6, R2 (not running)

martyjon

Been told a gas bus ran out of fuel this pm. Well that was the words of the driver of the bus which I boarded after waiting 45 minutes for a Y1, the service I planned to get was the 1445 from Chipping Sodbury to Bristol. Any forum member able to confirm.

Marcus Fryer

Been told a gas bus ran out of fuel this pm. Well that was the words of the driver of the bus which I boarded after waiting 45 minutes for a Y1, the service I planned to get was the 1445 from Chipping Sodbury to Bristol. Any forum member able to confirm.
According to bustimes the 14:45 would have been 39457, (was on the 13:40 from Bristol). However, no vehicle is recorded for the 14:45 - 39457's next recorded run is the 16:10 from Bristol. How long does it take to fuel a gas bus, assuming it never actually left Bristol but ran to LH and back?

D2007wsm

Established Member
Services not running a Saturday tt next week. Some might nor run sats anyway.

19 (not running)
22 (normal service)
37a (not running)
42a (not running)
X49 (not running)
71 (not running)
177 (not running)
349 (normal service)
A2 (normal service)
D1 (normal service)
D2 (normal service)
D3 (normal service)
U1 (Sunday service)
U2 (normal service)
X1X (not running)
M3x (not running)
SB1 (normal service)

42 Bath (normal service)
U1 and U5 Bath (Sunday service)
U2, U3, U5, U6, R2 (not running)
The 349 is running a Monday to Friday timetable on the journeys operated by Abus, journeys operated by First will not operate. This means the 11:05 and 12:35 journeys from Bristol.

carlberry

Established Member
One of the 368xx vehicles with South Glos Lynx logos, freshly displayed by the new gas buses, was on the 43 this evening filling in for a missing gas bus!

martyjon

bustimes tracks it to Yate then it stopped.

Last edited:

BBC

From the 30th they’ll be an emergency timetable (basically a Sunday service).

martyjon

Thought I might be seeing a sick gas bus on the Y1 this pm. Driver was in difficulty selecting reverse at Yate and had to seek assistance from another driver and between them managed it after pulling forward, reversing again, forward again and finally reversing off the stand in all loosing about 15 minutes on schedule. Is there a problem as I've seen other instances of reversing moves being troublesome not only at Yate but also at Bristol Bus Station.

spw24

there is an interlock of reverse on these buses you have to press this button first and then reverse gear shortly afterwards.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Well I've been a bit of a naughty boy and decided to go on a jolly despite there being this pandemic! You'll all be delighted to know that I've finally spread my wings and ventured outside of Bristol city centre!

So basically, I now live in Trowbridge, which is very exciting for a little Valleys man from South Wales who has relocated to Wiltshire. I got the train to Salisbury (beautiful city), where my housemate has been driving the rail replacement bus services between Salisbury and Romsey. He had the joys of Wells' 69446.

I accompanied him on the all stations service via Dean and Mottisfont & Dunbridge. Gets a little tight in places! I then transferred onto 158888 for the short journey to Southampton Central. It was my first time to Southampton and I did enjoy, despite how quiet the city centre was. I fancied a ride on the bus, but Southampton's First fleet is predominantly Streetlite based now, so I instead decided to use Bluestar. I must admit, what a fine fleet. First really could take a leaf out of their book. The 1 service, between Winchester and Southampton, uses 66-reg Enviro 400MMCs, featuring Wifi, USB ports and table seats. I jumped on the 2 to Eastleigh, which was in the hands of an Enviro 400 City (1251, to be exact, HF68 DXV).

The journey to Eastleigh was pleasant, as we plodded along through Portwood and Swaythling. I notice that there are several types of tickets, including separate ones from Bluestar and Uni-Link; I was under the impression they were all the same.

I then got off at the Swan Centre in Eastleigh, quick coffee from Caffe Nero and got a 12-car 450 to Winchester (450092+450085+450063), then a CrossCountry Voyager (221133) to Reading, then a heavily-delayed 800036 to Bath and then pioneer 150002 to Trowbridge. I went home this way because I didn't particularly fancy doing the rail replacement bus via Salisbury again; I only did it to accompany my housemate. Furthermore, the cheaper 'via Salisbury' ticket is valid via XC/Reading at the moment with the landslide at Laverstock, so I thought why not.

Despite having lived in Trowbridge for several weeks (as well as visiting the house before moving in), I have never actually caught the D1 before. I waited in Fore Street in Trowbridge. Faresaver's X34 to Chippenham was due first, and if it was a decker I would have caught it to Melksham, and then got the D3 to Bath. The X34 turned up (Trident), but it turns out I was at the wrong stop, as the driver pointed backwards when sailing past as if to imply I was on the wrong stop. Turns out, in the Chippenham/Melksham direction, the X34 picks up at Town Bridge. Anyway, not to worry, 69507 appeared on the D1.

The D1 is actually a pleasant route, particularly around Bradford-on-Avon and Limpley Stoke; I was remarkably surprised at the number of passengers who actually prefer to get the bus than the train to get to Bath, even though it is much longer. I only did it because I'm off work and I always go to Bath by train, because it's quicker, but I fancied a change.

An arrival in Bath on time then planned my next move, one I had ALWAYS wanted to do for so long but have never got round to doing it, even with advice from my good chum GrandWazoo - the 174 to Wells! And what better steed than 33835. She performs well, has to be said.

Was interesting to see Peasedown, Radstock and Midsomer Norton (Midsomer Murders as my mother calls it). Radstock in particularly seems really pleasant. I noticed a small group of teenagers in Midsomer Norton, I can't help but feel sorry for them because there's really not a lot going on and also the nearest main settlements (Bath and Wells) are both about 45 minutes each side.

A few folks got on in Shepton Mallet Tesco for the final stretch into Wells. I'm glad it was the 174 I was on, as I've been told that is the most scenic of the routes from Bath to Wells. The very last bit through Dinder was really quite pretty, I felt like I was on Emmerdale!

A quick coffee at Wells then stocked me up for the next move, 33661 on the 376 to Bristol! I've done the 376 before (on 32636 would you believe), but never got it when the Streetdecks were on it (tell a lie, I had a brief stretch from Clarks Village to Wells on 35148). Previously, I'd gone from Bristol to Wells, but not the other way. Bit of a hold up in Whitchurch due to single-lane traffic and temporary lights, but not too bad.

I noticed, from Knowle onwards, how many people will flag the 2 down and not the 376.

Off at the new stop at Temple Meads and a quick hop into the station to go to Bath. I couldn't be bothered to do the X39, as I've done it countless times and by this point I was a bit bussed out! 800303 took me on the short hop to Bath, on the 1412 Paignton to Paddington service. I really enjoy the stretch between Twerton Mill and Bath, especially on faster stock such as an IET.

An exit at Bath then got me on 33831 on the 4 to Royal United Hospital, then a very swift transfer onto 33839 on the 3A to Stambridge in Batheaston. This one, cosmetically, is a little tired compared to other examples, but she's okay. Quiet traffic meant a few waits at stops such as Guildhall and Snow Hill, but never mind. I saw former B10 66100 (formerly 1911 back in the day) parked up in shed in Batheaston (my housemate owns it).

A quick switch back into town is 37358 on the 3A. Don't think I've had this since it left Lawrence Hill! Got off at Morrisons hoping to get ravioli but Morrisons in Bath was bare! Quite why they were open I do not know. My final bus for the day was just a quick hop back into town on the D3, which was surprisingly operated by 44553! Then got off at Manvers Street and got 166214 back to Trowbridge.

At Wells, 47545 was on the 126 and 44536 was on the 75.

I'm so glad I finally managed to do some more country work. Next up on my list is possibly a run out to Yate on one of the new gas buses. Speaking of which, on Wednesday, I caught 32287 on the 18 from Bath to Warmley and then had 39431 on the 43 into town. I must say I was impressed, paying particular attention to the LED lights in the glass staircase. I can't say I've noticed these on the Metrobus examples.

Also requiring a journey on the 24, now that deckers are on it!

That is it for now, hope you're all keeping well in this scary world at the moment!

freetoview33

Established Member
Restrictions have been removed on Travelcard usage across Bristol, South Gloucestershire , North Somerset, Bath & North East Somerset.

So far we have 2 emergency timetables published

22 and U2, Both running two AM trips outbound and two PM trips inbound.

Westonian

Is there a shortage of drivers today at Weston as some Excel journeys have been cancelled including the first X9 from Nailsea and the first X7 to Clevedon. I thought Weston drivers on loan to Bath for UNI buses would have returned to Weston.