• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

diffywood

Tommy Walters

The D1X is to be double decker operated running via Sally In The Woods to Bath single deckers will run the D1

also of intrest the 177 gains some extra trips

It's amazing what happens when extra substady comes available.....

the X5 seems to be just a short term thing interesting when a operator i believe had shown interest to North Somerset Council to tender for it........ so i wonder what might be in the pipeline

Makes much more sense now. A good idea to move more people in from Bradford & Trowbridge!

The X5 I'm assuming will be run from Weston once more?

RELL6L

Re the D1X Sally in the Wood is the A363 direct from Bathford to Bradford on Avon.
Deckers! I remember VRs running the old 264 and 265. Why can't they go on the D1? I thought it was just a bridge at the Salisbury end.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The X5 is back as a temporary measure. Also surprised to see the 177 has 3 trips each way.
From first website
But no longer to Cribbs .....

Interesting to see the 177 getting more trips - I can't quite understand the logic on that one. Hardly going to help out the social distancing on the 376 - might help the 178 but ?

The press release for the X5 is golden especially as you can't get to Cribbs, but you can change via Bristol. So from Portishead, 25 mins now or you can travel for nearly an hour, change in the centre (10 mins?) and then another 50 mins to Cribbs.

Re the D1X Sally in the Wood is the A363 direct from Bathford to Bradford on Avon.
Deckers! I remember VRs running the old 264 and 265. Why can't they go on the D1? I thought it was just a bridge at the Salisbury end.

Yeah, you're right. I remember deckers being standard on the 264/5 until the millennium. The low bridge is at Wilton near Salisbury which we've discussed before; I thought it was lower but it's actually 14' in the centre of the arch so you can take a decker through (assuming the driver remembers he's not got an Eclipse). The ones round Yarnbrook are fine.

Looking at the timetable, I think it's just a way of getting more peak Trowbridge runs and sending it that way means you use fewer vehicles.

Tommy Walters

Looks like several more, if not all the Turquoise Scanias in Bath now have the Aquae branding added. With the service expansion perhaps the new brand will unofficially be launched!

Another important question - who will run the 349?

northken

Interesting that the m3x will be operating instead of the m3. Makes sense for reliability purposes, especially with the lower demand for UWE.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
A choice! Wow! I don't think Bath had the 501 in a closed top so it'll have to be one of the 680s especially with the X in the number!

I was joking but it got me thinking....did Bath ever have a 501 closed top? They had two.... thanks to BLOTW and Flickr, they had 5042 JHW116P and 5511 LHT721P. Now these were delivered with 501s but whether they had them in Bath, or had gained Gardners, I don't know.

What I do know is that those EWS-W VRs with 0680s were spirited to travel on!!

carlberry

Established Member
I was joking but it got me thinking....did Bath ever have a 501 closed top? They had two.... thanks to BLOTW and Flickr, they had 5042 JHW116P and 5511 LHT721P. Now these were delivered with 501s but whether they had them in Bath, or had gained Gardners, I don't know.

What I do know is that those EWS-W VRs with 0680s were spirited to travel on!!
5042 had a Gardner by July 1982 when it was still a city bus however 5511 moved to Bath in late 1982 but didn't gain a Gardner until Sep 1983. To find this out I consulted Allan Macfarlane's Bristol VR On home ground series and found that Bristol did a deal with APT (the NBC parts company in Lincoln) for 35 Gardner engines in exchange for a quantity of redundant RELLs in early 1982!

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Re the D1X Sally in the Wood is the A363 direct from Bathford to Bradford on Avon. Deckers! I remember VRs running the old 264 and 265. Why can't they go on the D1? I thought it was just a bridge at the Salisbury end.

Isn't there a low bridge in the Westbury area, somewhere east of The Ham / Slag Lane?

D2007wsm

Established Member
I suppose that explains who's got the contract for that!
The D1X is to be double decker operated running via Sally In The Woods to Bath single deckers will run the D1

also of intrest the 177 gains some extra trips

It's amazing what happens when extra substady comes available.....

the X5 seems to be just a short term thing interesting when a operator i believe had shown interest to North Somerset Council to tender for it........ so i wonder what might be in the pipeline
The X5 has been registered temporarily until North Somerset Council come up with a permanent solution. It will run every 2 hours but only as far as Portishead. It will not serve Cribbs Causeway.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Evening Thornbury service is now the T1, not T2...
The T1 and Y1 are running because due to the reduced capacity of the buses, there was concerns outbound the buses would fill up with local passengers meaning customers for Thornbury or Yate would be unable to board. The T1 misses out the Gloucester Road where this may happen and the Y1 Fishponds and Downend.
I just spotted both of those myself. Seems the D1X is a peak time support service, running non-stop from Bath-Bradford on Avon!

The X5 threw me massively. Anyone know about that?

Also, the 39 is still listed as X39, not 39X as was rumoured. Perhaps sensibly, First have had a change of heart!

To my surprise, still no service on Bristol 9, 35, 37, 71 & Bath 9.

The m3 is also cut completely, with all services running as m3xs. The m1 is back to near normal meanwhile, which suggests BCT will take it back. Good to see the m2 resume also.
The renumbering of the X39 will be postponed until normal service levels will be resumed and adequate readvertising can be achieved.

Class 33

Established Member
Seen THREE 70's in a row heading up Cheltenham Road this afternoon. One was a 48/48A/49 liveried Enviro 400, the other was a 90 liveried Streetdeck, and.... can't actually remember what the other one was!

Slightly surprised to see the frequency level of most services to increase significantly from next week. Didn't expect that until around 15th June!

For the September changes, I hope First haven't forgot about the new 2A service that was due to start back in April!

We should have heard by now about the result of the consultation of the 72 and services serving Cotham and Redland. Should be interesting to see what these changes will be.

Marcus Fryer

Seen THREE 70's in a row heading up Cheltenham Road this afternoon. One was a 48/48A/49 liveried Enviro 400, the other was a 90 liveried Streetdeck, and.... can't actually remember what the other one was!

Slightly surprised to see the frequency level of most services to increase significantly from next week. Didn't expect that until around 15th June!

For the September changes, I hope First haven't forgot about the new 2A service that was due to start back in April!

We should have heard by now about the result of the consultation of the 72 and services serving Cotham and Redland. Should be interesting to see what these changes will be.
This would have been for the 15:30 Centre to UWE and 16:00 return - see my post of 15 May. Today's offerings were 35161, 33927 and P&R generic livery 33942 (seen at Muller Rd/Filton Ave). Bus tracker shows 39459 as on this working today, but that is erroneous.
Tomorrow apparently will be the last day for duplicates/short workings if the First Bristol website is correct. 39468 (green, but with no branding) was out on the 75 duplicates this afternoon. Will the gas buses be returning from HE to LH over the weekend?

-Colly405-

It is almost as though they have already given up on the 9, as it is conspicuous by its continued absence...

D2007wsm

Established Member
The excel E400s are venturing out again, 33547 is currently enroute to Bristol on an X1.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
5042 had a Gardner by July 1982 when it was still a city bus however 5511 moved to Bath in late 1982 but didn't gain a Gardner until Sep 1983. To find this out I consulted Allan Macfarlane's Bristol VR On home ground series and found that Bristol did a deal with APT (the NBC parts company in Lincoln) for 35 Gardner engines in exchange for a quantity of redundant RELLs in early 1982!

That's some good research!

Buses in Bath

I'd rather hoped that First had realised what a stupid idea it was!
How is it stupid. The rest of their express services all end in X. The X39 was really an outlier because the only other routes that started with an X were the excel ones (and the X49 for some reason). So it makes total sense to renumber it so it fits in with the D1x, D2x, m3x and X1x.

carlberry

Established Member
How is it stupid. The rest of their express services all end in X. The X39 was really an outlier because the only other routes that started with an X were the excel ones (and the X49 for some reason). So it makes total sense to renumber it so it fits in with the D1x, D2x, m3x and X1x.
It makes no difference to somebody in Bath wanting to get to Bristol that their service number dosent fit in with some arbitery scheme that somebody has invented. The 98% of people who are looking for an X39 (as that's what they used the last time they were on the bus) are just annoyed because somebody has changed the buses again.

Would people feel happy about having to change mobile phone numbers because your number dosent fit in with the nice neat block of numbers of your new provider?