• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

THarris123

Established Member
Most of the changes are simple changes to the timetable and not to the route, including the 24. There will be some renumbering and some services changing depots.

in terms of the new gas buses, the only thing which has been said is the first batch which arrive will be for the m3, I have heard rumours of where the rest will be deployed, but no firm fact.

In terms of redeployment of the current metrobus Scanias, I reckon the easiest and most cost effective solution will be to redeploy the current m3 buses onto other services after swapping the metrobus seat cushions for the grey leather ones on the m2. What is the point of paying to respray them, when the m2 buses are exactly the same barring the moquette. This can be done in-house.
Stated in the word not long ago that gas buses due for Metrobus (10) and for east Bristol services, think the second batch were due for east Bristol

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

THarris123

Established Member
Thanks for that. I didn’t think it would be particularly extensive.

For some reason, I thought the seats were a different design on the metrobus spec vehicles. In that case, swapping the seat cushions over is simpler as you say.

The gas buses should, if part financed with GBF money, go onto the routes for which the funding was provided. Rare for funding conditions to be waived. Of course, if they’re fully funded by First, then they can go wherever.
The original bid was for 110 buses:
30 for Metrobus
25 for 42-45
26 for 48/49
8 for 17
13 for 6/7
8 float

77 due in next 6 months, so presumably still for each of these routes, but different numbers?

THarris123

Established Member
In terms of renumbering, I don't like seeing it personally, but I think it'll happen, so each corridor can fit in with a brand. I think there will be a new brand for east Bristol and sometime next year a brand for South Bristol.

Haru

In terms of M3 buses there will be 7 green branded m3, one red and two grey dual door with metro interior for general spare and future expansion. Current PVR is 7 so should only need the red as spare.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
In terms of M3 buses there will be 7 green branded m3, one red and two grey dual door with metro interior for general spare and future expansion. Current PVR is 7 so should only need the red as spare.

Talking of future expansion..... Has there been any further developments surrounding the extension of the m2 to Highridge and Hengrove, or getting the m1 into the back of Parkway station?

-Colly405-

Talking of future expansion..... Has there been any further developments surrounding the extension of the m2 to Highridge and Hengrove, or getting the m1 into the back of Parkway station?
Re Parkway, I'm sure that the plans were never to put the m1 in there, more to get a separate route (from Emerson's?).
I can't find it now, but there was a report a while back that the funding has been agreed for the ground works to enable m to get into the station bus stops, and it was going to be useable from spring 2020.
Once open, it would be great if the Y6 went that way too as it would miss no existing stops but would serve Great Stoke.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Re Parkway, I'm sure that the plans were never to put the m1 in there, more to get a separate route (from Emerson's?).
I can't find it now, but there was a report a while back that the funding has been agreed for the ground works to enable m to get into the station bus stops, and it was going to be useable from spring 2020.
Once open, it would be great if the Y6 went that way too as it would miss no existing stops but would serve Great Stoke.

Think that's right. It wasn't supposed to be the m1 originally but now it's showing on the map for future links, it can really only be the m1, and yeah, last I heard was spring 2020 but didn't know if we'd heard anything more recently.

m2 extension is also shown on the maps as a future link but again, no firm timescale seems to be out there unless I've missed it.

-Colly405-

Think that's right. It wasn't supposed to be the m1 originally but now it's showing on the map for future links, it can really only be the m1, and yeah, last I heard was spring 2020 but didn't know if we'd heard anything more recently.

m2 extension is also shown on the maps as a future link but again, no firm timescale seems to be out there unless I've missed it.
I'm really not convinced that it will be the m1, as the additional journey the would make it so unattractive.
I can see a new route being agreed under the quality partnership, with a Parkway terminus as the forerunner of the CPME extending it to Cribbs via Brabazon. Perhaps Emerson's - UWE - Parkway?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'm really not convinced that it will be the m1, as the additional journey the would make it so unattractive.
I can see a new route being agreed under the quality partnership, with a Parkway terminus as the forerunner of the CPME extending it to Cribbs via Brabazon. Perhaps Emerson's - UWE - Parkway?

Given how routes have waxed and waned on that corridor (not least the 18/X18), I will remain a bit sceptical

vicbury

First has won a couple of awards at the UK Bus Awards in the Going for Growth and Making Buses a Better Choice categories.
Bus company First West of England is celebrating today having won gold and bronze in two categories at the 2019 UK Bus Awards.

The company fought off competition from up and down the country to see its initiative ‘Going for Growth’ take the top spot in the Sustained Marketing Excellence category, sponsored by Global.

Over the last five years, First Bus in West of England has seen more and more people jump on board its buses bucking the national trend of decreasing bus passengers, despite challenging conditions in Bristol as one of the UK’s most congested cities. The team has focused on simplifying fares, modernising the bus fleet, promoting digital ways to buy tickets and ongoing community engagement.

The company’s metrobus service took the bronze in the Making Buses a Better Choice category, sponsored by Heathrow. The innovative new service has carried more than two million passengers in a little over a year and customer numbers are still growing. It uses guided busways, bus-only bridges and buy-before-you-board technology.

Interestingly, First claims that bus passenger numbers in the Bristol region are up by 52.5% over the last five years. Whilst this is very impressive, I wonder how much of the growth is actual growth, and how much is due to better recording of boarding passengers, now that all passengers have to scan a QR code; buy a ticket; or present a concessionary pass. In the past, drivers would often simpy wave passholders on!

freetoview33

Established Member
Services running on Boxing Day quite a few this year in Bristol.

M1
1/2
6/7
44/45
48/49
75/76
90/91
A1/A2
A3
X1
X3A
X5
X7
7XP
T2
Y2/Y6

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
First has won a couple of awards at the UK Bus Awards in the Going for Growth and Making Buses a Better Choice categories.

Interestingly, First claims that bus passenger numbers in the Bristol region are up by 52.5% over the last five years. Whilst this is very impressive, I wonder how much of the growth is actual growth, and how much is due to better recording of boarding passengers, now that all passengers have to scan a QR code; buy a ticket; or present a concessionary pass. In the past, drivers would often simpy wave passholders on!
There may well be an element of that. However, there have clearly been improvements in patronage with the revised fares structure and a buoyant local economy. Mind you, it seems very much based (naturally) on the main corridors whilst the peripheral routes like the 17/19 less so (and we've lost the 16/18).

It seems almost impossible to think that the X39 used to be single decked 5 years ago and whilst some routes have had their headways reduced slightly, there are plenty that now demand deckers.

freetoview33

Established Member
There may well be an element of that. However, there have clearly been improvements in patronage with the revised fares structure and a buoyant local economy. Mind you, it seems very much based (naturally) on the main corridors whilst the peripheral routes like the 17/19 less so (and we've lost the 16/18).

It seems almost impossible to think that the X39 used to be single decked 5 years ago and whilst some routes have had their headways reduced slightly, there are plenty that now demand deckers.
The bus deal says muller rd is top priority. Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to what routes will likely be upgraded?
17, 24, 506? I know 506 is set to be improved as part of the Silverthorne lane development, but it's not exactly a well used service is it?

DaveHarries

Established Member
Bath:
1 - timetable changes
2 - frequency reduction
6/7/8 - all frequency reduction
11/12 - timetable changes
9 - timetable changes
And to add to that an entry has appeared in today's VOSA Bus Service Registrations from First for cancellation of the X31 Chippenham - Bath (or their journeys thereon) wef 05-Jan-2020.

Dave

-Colly405-

And to add to that an entry has appeared in today's VOSA Bus Service Registrations from First for cancellation of the X31 Chippenham - Bath (or their journeys thereon) wef 05-Jan-2020.

Dave
And First are cancelling the registration for their short m1 journeys from the same date.
I really hope that the HCT changes include extra peak journeys...!

Marcus Fryer

One of the red ex Nottingham Scania 'Q Busters' has been parked in Weston depot this week.
36077 was used on the 15:30 Centre to Brislington (route 36) yesterday - it doesn't report on the bustimes tracker, although the return working (16:25 from St Brendans, which I didn't see) is shown as 30945.

Tommy Walters

Strange allocation this morning on Bath U1 - 32007/14, 32338, 32551, 37407 & just the 1 E400 in 33948. Have all the E400s gone to do a rail replacement somewhere??

iantherev

Strange allocation this morning on Bath U1 - 32007/14, 32338, 32551, 37407 & just the 1 E400 in 33948. Have all the E400s gone to do a rail replacement somewhere??

There's a big engineering works project in Cardiff this weekend meaning Queen Street station is closed. TfW require low floor buses.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Looks like 33944 to me - glad to hear it wasn't that badly damaged, the last thing Bath uni needs is one of the E400s of the road long-term!!
Bath depot not doing well lately with roof damaged deckers! This is the third in as many months. 30871 at Parkway ( presumably a write-off, but does anyone know what is its official status?) Then 32284 (now repaired and back in service) and now 33944 (no doubt repairable, and quickly!)

83G/84D

Established Member
Bath depot not doing well lately with roof damaged deckers! This is the third in as many months. 30871 at Parkway ( presumably a write-off, but does anyone know what is its official status?) Then 32284 (now repaired and back in service) and now 33944 (no doubt repairable, and quickly!)

They are doing their best to supplement the First Kernow open top fleet for next year.