• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lx12ddo

Strange allocation this morning on Bath U1 - 32007/14, 32338, 32551, 37407 & just the 1 E400 in 33948. Have all the E400s gone to do a rail replacement somewhere??
Caught a glimpse of 37415 too.... 33946 has made today's sole 400MMC appearance, with the rest as 32014, 32343 (a must catch with its over-revving beast of a B7TL) and 37416. Aiming to catch the latter two

Last edited:

CD

There's a big engineering works project in Cardiff this weekend meaning Queen Street station is closed. TfW require low floor buses.
Also two Bath Uni E400s on rail replacement for SWR between Salisbury and Andover on Saturday.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Bath 53818 has arrived at Swansea. This one hasn't been seen in service at Bath since August, the tracker last showed in use 27 August.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Glasgow thread reporting more FWE vehicles heading there in the New Year, possibly Streetlites.

anthony263

Established Member
One of bristols enviro 400s did have an encounter with a low bridge Saturday not far from heath high level and lost while on the rail replacement between Cardiff and caerphilly

Class 33

Established Member
I've noticed the 1 and 2 has a lot of recovery time at the Union Street stop built into the timetable now. Once you've boarded there's usually at least a few minutes wait before it actually departs. I was on a 2 the other night and it was stuck there for 7 minutes before it departed! Previously they'd just pull in at the stop, let the onboard passengers disembark, let the new passengers board, and then they'd swiftly depart. Still, I can see why they've put in this recovery time into the timetables now to improve punctuality.

Rumours that some of the city services will be renumbered to have a letter prefix such as E1, E2, F1, F2, etc. I hope this doesn't happen as this is just silly! What next, the 1,2,3,4,75 & 76 renumbered C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6??!! No please not. City services should be kept as two digit service numbers.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Rumours that some of the city services will be renumbered to have a letter prefix such as E1, E2, F1, F2, etc. I hope this doesn't happen as this is just silly! What next, the 1,2,3,4,75 & 76 renumbered C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6??!! No please not. City services should be kept as two digit service numbers.

I think (hope) that was a tongue in cheek reference. Don't really see any likelihood of that happening. ps good to see you back

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Glasgow thread reporting more FWE vehicles heading there in the New Year, possibly Streetlites.

With the new gas buses arriving, there will doubtless be a raft of cascades and fleet changes. Also, will the arrival of more new Streetdecks allow vehicles to be cascaded from Leeds?

d2007 mentioned that some of the dual door Scania e400mmcs might head to South Wales, possibly to release the X10 vehicles. Those coaches are now confirmed as destined for Kernow. Dual door vehicles on an interurban express would seem odd and if they did move to Cymru, would it might be better to have them on the Unibus services and have 4 ex Leeds B9s for the X10. Then again, would having some 7 year old deckers flogging along the M4 be welcomed.....

Tommy Walters

With the new gas buses arriving, there will doubtless be a raft of cascades and fleet changes. Also, will the arrival of more new Streetdecks allow vehicles to be cascaded from Leeds?

d2007 mentioned that some of the dual door Scania e400mmcs might head to South Wales, possibly to release the X10 vehicles. Those coaches are now confirmed as destined for Kernow. Dual door vehicles on an interurban express would seem odd and if they did move to Cymru, would it might be better to have them on the Unibus services and have 4 ex Leeds B9s for the X10. Then again, would having some 7 year old deckers flogging along the M4 be welcomed.....
Personally as the Scanias are dual door, it would be sensible to bring them (back) to Bath for the U1 (or maybe even as replacements for the U5 fleet), as they have been tried and tested already on both routes. This would help to finally establish a permanent Unibus fleet, and avoid the constant need for B7s, B9s, Discover livered vehicles and e200s having to appear on the route on a daily basis!!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Personally as the Scanias are dual door, it would be sensible to bring them (back) to Bath for the U1 (or maybe even as replacements for the U5 fleet), as they have been tried and tested already on both routes. This would help to finally establish a permanent Unibus fleet, and avoid the constant need for B7s, B9s, Discover livered vehicles and e200s having to appear on the route on a daily basis!!

Don’t know about the U1. The core fleet is the 8 ADLs and the rest is for peak so you’d have newish vehicles not earning for chunks of the week/year. Seem to recall that the numbers drop off majorly from April?

Remember that the original fleet was the artics with the purple deckers as peak hour extras. Increasing student numbers and then Wessex exiting (plus an expanded U2) meant that peak term ops were massively overloaded.

Don’t know what the plans are but they were looking at York artics being sent south (to replace the some B7LAs - some have received mods to comply with emissions?). On top of that, they might look at getting something newer (Geminis?) for the U2 as the current B7TLs are now 19 years old and can’t have long left surely!

The U5/6 are a bit different (not as pesky) but similarly, I’ve no idea what they might do with that as those deckers are 2001 though they did have a refurb in 2017.

Bit different on the Bristol U1 as that’s a contracted service.

Tommy Walters

Don’t know about the U1. The core fleet is the 8 ADLs and the rest is for peak so you’d have newish vehicles not earning for chunks of the week/year. Seem to recall that the numbers drop off majorly from April?

Remember that the original fleet was the artics with the purple deckers as peak hour extras. Increasing student numbers and then Wessex exiting (plus an expanded U2) meant that peak term ops were massively overloaded.

Don’t know what the plans are but they were looking at York artics being sent south (to replace the some B7LAs - some have received mods to comply with emissions?). On top of that, they might look at getting something newer (Geminis?) for the U2 as the current B7TLs are now 19 years old and can’t have long left surely!

The U5/6 are a bit different (not as pesky) but similarly, I’ve no idea what they might do with that as those deckers are 2001 though they did have a refurb in 2017.

Bit different on the Bristol U1 as that’s a contracted service.

It is true that they would sit around doing nothing between early June & late September (although the summer PVR requires 7 or 8 buses on U1 & U2 now I believe), but it has not been unknown for many of the e400s to do 19s or X39s during that time, especially as some of those B9s are getting a little tired.

We've mentioned before these rumoured Citaros coming down from York - sadly I've reason to believe that the Metrodeckers due to replace them are delayed until Feburary time? I don't think any of the current artics have been given engine mods - clean they are not!! Many of the fleet (10162, 10169 & 10175 come to mind) normally leave a sea of blue smoke behind everytime they pull away from a stop, which is especially pleasant in Dorchester Street in Bath I can assure you!!!

The U5 batch used to be reasonably reliable, but these days there is at least 1 other B7/B9 on the U5/6 routes every weekday, especially during the evening and night runs. I think 32099 being off road for the best part of a month hasn't helped. Although they were refurbed in 2016, some are beginning to look tired inside (strangely enough, the 4 that were refurbished with Barbie 1 seating cloth, rather than the 3 with Barbie 2!)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It is true that they would sit around doing nothing between early June & late September (although the summer PVR requires 7 or 8 buses on U1 & U2 now I believe), but it has not been unknown for many of the e400s to do 19s or X39s during that time, especially as some of those B9s are getting a little tired.

We've mentioned before these rumoured Citaros coming down from York - sadly I've reason to believe that the Metrodeckers due to replace them are delayed until Feburary time? I don't think any of the current artics have been given engine mods - clean they are not!! Many of the fleet (10162, 10169 & 10175 come to mind) normally leave a sea of blue smoke behind everytime they pull away from a stop, which is especially pleasant in Dorchester Street in Bath I can assure you!!!

The U5 batch used to be reasonably reliable, but these days there is at least 1 other B7/B9 on the U5/6 routes every weekday, especially during the evening and night runs. I think 32099 being off road for the best part of a month hasn't helped. Although they were refurbed in 2016, some are beginning to look tired inside (strangely enough, the 4 that were refurbished with Barbie 1 seating cloth, rather than the 3 with Barbie 2!)

Think you’ve answered the question. If there’s B9s failing on the all day, all year X39, that might be a better place to put much newer fleet rather than covering peak U1s!

All the refurbs done 2016/7 had the older Barbie moquette, whether it be the U5/6 (thought they’d all been done), the Bristol 6/7 (and some now on 3/4), Mendip 66720/1/6 and the 2009 Eclipses.

Tommy Walters

Think you’ve answered the question. If there’s B9s failing on the all day, all year X39, that might be a better place to put much newer fleet rather than covering peak U1s!

All the refurbs done 2016/7 had the older Barbie moquette, whether it be the U5/6 (thought they’d all been done), the Bristol 6/7 (and some now on 3/4), Mendip 66720/1/6 and the 2009 Eclipses.

The U5 batch was an exception (or they changed their minds mid way through) 32075/6/83 all have the the newer style moquette for some reason!! I'm sure they were refurbished simultaneously, as they added USB ports to all of them too!

You're right, I did answer the question!! With the loads on the X39, dual doors would be a benefit!! The Scanias don't lack the performance needed for the Keynsham bypass either (they max out at 85kph I think?)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The U5 batch was an exception (or they changed their minds mid way through) 32075/6/83 all have the the newer style moquette for some reason!! I'm sure they were refurbished simultaneously, as they added USB ports to all of them too!

You're right, I did answer the question!! With the loads on the X39, dual doors would be a benefit!! The Scanias don't lack the performance needed for the Keynsham bypass either (they max out at 85kph I think?)

I’ve given up predicting what may appear on the X39. For a flagship route, the 2009 B9s are showing their age.

On the artics, thought 10175/9 were treated, hence losing some seats?