• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
66726 returning to either depot?! :D
Complete with repaint of course

Yeah....I did leave that hanging for that suggestion!!

They're doing it on a 3 week on, 3 week off. So I'm back on 10th May. Since Wells is quite a small depot, there's more in work than off on this 3 week rota (some drivers are off for a full 12 weeks if they're considered to be high risk), so some drivers are having to work longer than 3 weeks. I've got plenty to keep me going at the moment thankfully.

Glad that you and your colleagues are ok

THarris123

Established Member
Good to hear from you again Tom. Obviously Wells already have 66720 and 66942, the former of course being in much better condition, so perhaps they will send 66942 away for refresh, or more likely, use one of the Bath ones currently used on the 5, such as 66722.
The last I heard was 66942 was heading for Bath and getting a Euro6 upgrade, along with most of the rattly panels being replaced. It's been away since February when I last drove it

I'd like to think we would get a couple of the Bath ones. I've suggested that 66720 should stay in Mendip Xplorer (so could be used as a spare), but doubt that'll happen.

THarris123

Established Member
Also, the Discover fleet should also have some spares? The D3 withdrawal will have released 4 vehicles.... the three Solars and...?

Interesting in that FWoE received a load of Better Bus Area funding in 2014 to enable all of First's Bristol and Bath fleets to have wifi fitted.
I think the PVR of the normal discover network is now 11, so the 12 ex airport B7s should be fine for this.

However saying this I'm led to believe that 66726 is staying where it is for the moment, so not sure if this will be upgraded for Euro6.

There are 8 59 plate B7s and 6 required for svc 5, so there should be two of these spare, along with 66942.

carlberry

Established Member
WiFi isn’t fitted to the gas buses and by all accounts will never be fitted.
Do you know why? Nottingham's identical vehicles do so it cant be that it's not possible because of the gas equipment, weight or space. It does seem odd to drop it without the general feeling is that people just arnt using it (I know my daughter complains that it's always slow.

Whiteway215

Established Member
The last I heard was 66942 was heading for Bath and getting a Euro6 upgrade, along with most of the rattly panels being replaced. It's been away since February when I last drove it

I'd like to think we would get a couple of the Bath ones. I've suggested that 66720 should stay in Mendip Xplorer (so could be used as a spare), but doubt that'll happen.
66942 was certainly at Bath depot on 16 Feb with all its body panels removed on one side. I wondered what that was about.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I think the PVR of the normal discover network is now 11, so the 12 ex airport B7s should be fine for this.

However saying this I'm led to believe that 66726 is staying where it is for the moment, so not sure if this will be upgraded for Euro6.

There are 8 59 plate B7s and 6 required for svc 5, so there should be two of these spare, along with 66942.

Probably because 69501 is long term VOR with fire damage.

THarris123

Established Member
66942 was certainly at Bath depot on 16 Feb with all its body panels removed on one side. I wondered what that was about.
To quote the famous Wazoo saying - it had more rattles than mothercare

The thing that I find annoying is the panels are being done on n/s and o/s - it's all the panels at the front and cab which rattle to pieces

spw24

Do you know why? Nottingham's identical vehicles do so it cant be that it's not possible because of the gas equipment, weight or space. It does seem odd to drop it without the general feeling is that people just arnt using it (I know my daughter complains that it's always slow.
There will be no more WIFI fitted as it was too slow and unreliable so people were getting abetter connection on normal phone signal anyway.

Marcus Fryer

There will be no more WIFI fitted as it was too slow and unreliable so people were getting abetter connection on normal phone signal anyway.
I was finding the metrobus wifi connection on the BCT buses on the m1 worked fine, but the First wifi (as on the T1) had security problems and wouldn't connect to the internet.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I don't consider WiFi to be a necessity on buses these days, except for on Megabus, National Express or any other long distance coach operators. Most people have unlimited 4G in their mobile phone contract plan.

USB charging points I think are a necessity mind, because I for one am regularly on my phone, whether it be work, social, or whatever (and for bus spotting/checking timetables!), and yes, whilst I have a portable charger, if buses are equipped with them it saves my portable charger for a time where I am least likely to have access to a charging point.

I find it ridiculous that in London only the 507, 521 and X26 have USB ports, the latter of which is only because it's a long route and I don't think Croydon's WVL's were equipped with them from new. About time the X26 had an upgrade actually on the vehicles in general, but obviously that's not for this thread.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I don't consider WiFi to be a necessity on buses these days, except for on Megabus, National Express or any other long distance coach operators. Most people have unlimited 4G in their mobile phone contract plan.

USB charging points I think are a necessity mind, because I for one am regularly on my phone, whether it be work, social, or whatever (and for bus spotting/checking timetables!), and yes, whilst I have a portable charger, if buses are equipped with them it saves my portable charger for a time where I am least likely to have access to a charging point.

I find it ridiculous that in London only the 507, 521 and X26 have USB ports, the latter of which is only because it's a long route and I don't think Croydon's WVL's were equipped with them from new. About time the X26 had an upgrade actually on the vehicles in general, but obviously that's not for this thread.

Is it a human right to have a USB? No. If someone's on a bus for an hour each way.... look out of the window and see the world. If one leaves the house with a fully charged mobile and a juice bar, there really should be enough for regular usage. If that isn't enough, there's a problem.... with either the phone or the user.

Tommy Walters

Also worthy of note is that Phone/4G signal reliability has improved drastically over the past few years, particularly in rural areas!

A handful more routes with new ALD/BYD electric single or double decks have now also gained USB ports (43, 100, 360 for example). Those WVLs used to work on the East London Transit routes, and as you say only gained USBs when converted to single door for the X26. Note that in answer to your upgrade, the X26 is temporarily in the hands of newer dual door WHVS & EHs, due to COVID-19 restricting front door boarding of buses in London!

Last edited:

Tommy Walters

Is it a human right to have a USB? No. If someone's on a bus for an hour each way.... look out of the window and see the world. If one leaves the house with a fully charged mobile and a juice bar, there really should be enough for regular usage. If that isn't enough, there's a problem.... with either the phone or the user.

On most services I entirely agree with that logic. It was a rare sight even on Uni services to see someone actually using one of the USB ports in place, usually on one of the Scanias where the socket is easier to locate. One positive use they do have is in instances where a customer's phone (and m-ticket) has died, some drivers let them on to charge their phone, enabling them to show/scan their pass later on in the journey. I appreciate that's at the discretion of the drivers though!

On a service like the X26 in London, I can understand them being fitted, as it's a 2.5 hour trip each way, and you've also got passengers needing their phone charged for Heathrow etc.

freetoview33

Established Member
I don't really know anyone with Unlimited 4G although I know this is a thing (I know a lot of people have a lot of data) so I agree WiFi is less needed now.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I count W-CWR & W-DWX vehicles (artic & decker) as being one big batch (were all of them new to Bradford?)
Two distinct batches. W-CWR new April 2000 to Leeds. W-DWX new July 2000 to Bradford.

CWR remained at Leeds for many years before reallocation to Bradford.

DWX were an early reallocation to Rotherham IIRC before moving to Bury and then to Kernow

Private Baxter

Established Member
Hi Wazoo,
Here at Yeovil we had 66956/58 and 960 with just 66961 being allocated to Taunton.
They all had the green Wessex wyvern logo from roofline to skirt on the side which is very similar to the Welsh dragon but a different colour. Sometimes one of ours worked on 58 to Wincanton whilst on 5th Nov 2008 I rode 66960 on the 202 service between Crewkerne and Dorchester on the Wednesday only market run from Chard to Dorsets county town.
Decent vehicles in their day,
Cheers, Mike
Hi Mike,
thanks for confirming. Could never quite remember the deal with those buses; I knew not all were based at one depot, and that I think the route was jointly operated at one point. I remember the light green logo, in fact it was still evident on 66956 until fairly recently where the sticker used to be, along with key calling points along the 54 on the back window. I too had one on the 58 from Wincanton in late 2009, which is the only time I have ever used that service. After a few years, they moved back up to WoE, initially I think at LH, then on to WM, 66958/60-1 quickly moving on to Cymru, whilst 66956 stayed at Weston and is now at HE.

Private Baxter

Established Member
They're doing it on a 3 week on, 3 week off. So I'm back on 10th May. Since Wells is quite a small depot, there's more in work than off on this 3 week rota (some drivers are off for a full 12 weeks if they're considered to be high risk), so some drivers are having to work longer than 3 weeks. I've got plenty to keep me going at the moment thankfully.
That's sounds like a reasonable arrangement. As you say, plenty else to be getting on with, use the time wisely! Glad you got to drive some of the best buses before they move on!

Private Baxter

Established Member

I'm rather pleased 66942 is carrying on, even if not in Wells. I hate to think all these are destined for the scrapheap. Is this one of the better ones then?

Good decision on 66726 - after all has only just been done! There are also the two other Discover B7RLEs 66881/2 (?) or have they now gone? If not that makes 15 for Discover. Can't think what else those singles will be used for in Bath, so maybe just generic spares, like 66725/32/938 etc

Private Baxter

Established Member
On the WiFi and USB points, I hadn't even noticed that the new buses didn't have WiFi. To be honest though I never use bus wifi, mainly for the reasons Steve states. Phone data is adequate.
As for charging points, whilst these are useful, and nice to have, it's not the end of the world if they aren't on there. I know times have changed, and many of us use our phones for just about everything nowadays, draining our batteries far quicker (my first phone in the early 2000s would last days, but of course it only performed basic functions), but sometimes it is nice to look up from our screens, stare out the window or bring a book on longer routes.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'm rather pleased 66942 is carrying on, even if not in Wells. I hate to think all these are destined for the scrapheap. Is this one of the better ones then?

Good decision on 66726 - after all has only just been done! There are also the two other Discover B7RLEs 66881/2 (?) or have they now gone? If not that makes 15 for Discover. Can't think what else those singles will be used for in Bath, so maybe just generic spares, like 66725/32/938 etc

66885/6 are the other Discovers.

66722/7/881-4 are the Bath 5 buses.

IIRC 66956 is withdrawn and was laid up at Lawrence Hill.

Suspect the Barbie 55 plates will be upgraded to euro VI trainers. Tbh, the unrefurbished ones are dreadful now with threadbare cushions (esp 667** examples) and need to move on.

Private Baxter

Established Member
66885/6 are the other Discovers.

66722/7/881-4 are the Bath 5 buses.

IIRC 66956 is withdrawn and was laid up at Lawrence Hill.

Suspect the Barbie 55 plates will be upgraded to euro VI trainers. Tbh, the unrefurbished ones are dreadful now with threadbare cushions (esp 667** examples) and need to move on.
To be honest I took a stab with the Discover buses as I couldn't remember which ones they were!

Yes, now you mention it I think 66956 has been withdrawn.

Ah I get what you're saying about 66942. To me, Tom was implying it would be staying in service but that is more likely, esp when you consider a fair few of those have been, or will be being converted. As for the 667xx ones, the seating on some is indeed awful. 66723-4/34 spring to mind as the worst as of course they retain their original seats from 2004. Something tells me these WON'T be chosen for the 126.:smile:

Tommy Walters

Surely it would also make sense to convert 66992/3 likewise? Or are they too non-standard now to even maintain their role as trainers?

Tommy Walters

Two distinct batches. W-CWR new April 2000 to Leeds. W-DWX new July 2000 to Bradford.

CWR remained at Leeds for many years before reallocation to Bradford.

DWX were an early reallocation to Rotherham IIRC before moving to Bury and then to Kernow

Ah right! Was this the case with the similarly registered artics too?

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Ah right! Was this the case with the similarly registered artics too?

From what I remember some of the artics in Bradford had W...?WX plates and were found running on the 616 & 617 Holmewood circulars initially before being shunted off to First Glasgow as I did see one in Glasgow with the last two letters of WX running in service, complete with Metro sticker (most buses in West Yorkshire have them for some reason). Then the next time I saw anything with WX on were some artics being used in Leeds on the Brown Line service 1 (Beeston - City Centre - Headingley - Holt Park) before being repainted into Centrebus-esq livery for one of three Unilink services, one being the 95 that ran between Bodington Hall and Leeds. I did recall seeing one on the 92 once that ran from the Tannery to Clarence Dock. Since 2012 everything went over to deckers leading to the artics disappearing.

ValleyLines142

Established Member

The thing is though, how many people out there these days actually look out of the window and watch the world go by? Hardly any. If you get on the Metrobus from UWE at 4.30pm in the week, you will see everyone engrossed in their phones.

Just the lifestyle we're in unfortunately.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The thing is though, how many people out there these days actually look out of the window and watch the world go by? Hardly any. If you get on the Metrobus from UWE at 4.30pm in the week, you will see everyone engrossed in their phones.

Just the lifestyle we're in unfortunately.

And they're on there for how long???? Not an hour