• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

AB93

The D1x, D2x, m3x and X1x are all peak time variants to the main service.

The X39 *is* the main service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Private Baxter

Established Member
Not sure if this has been mentioned but just reading faresaver X67 is permanently withdrawn. So the D2 is now the main service
That has settled that then! That has come as a bit of a surprise, but I guess with frequencies as they were, something had to give. Makes sense for, as the post above says, each operator can now concentrate on their respective routes.

spw24

The remaining ex Diamond Enviro,s for Bath are 33691/715/21/31/7. all shown on a recent First fleetlist.

lx12ddo

Went past the Bath depot for the first time (ever!), and spotted three E400s in normal first livery all near the entrance to the garage. 33677, 33721 and 33833. Haven’t kept up with this thread too well, but I’m supposing that was already common knowledge.

37388 was surprisingly positioned near the entrance and 69501 with a gaping hole below the front windscreen (panel removed - I’m not the most technical when it comes to buses....). There was also a B9 having the life revved out of it somewhere towards the rear of the depot. Couldn’t believe my ears (all bordered up from then footpath there so didn’t get a view). Lots of B9s sat in the car park and a couple E200s with suspiciously high suspensions at the front.....

Whiteway215

Established Member
Went past the Bath depot for the first time (ever!), and spotted three E400s in normal first livery all near the entrance to the garage. 33677, 33721 and 33833. Haven’t kept up with this thread too well, but I’m supposing that was already common knowledge.

37388 was surprisingly positioned near the entrance and 69501 with a gaping hole below the front windscreen (panel removed - I’m not the most technical when it comes to buses....). There was also a B9 having the life revved out of it somewhere towards the rear of the depot. Couldn’t believe my ears (all bordered up from then footpath there so didn’t get a view). Lots of B9s sat in the car park and a couple E200s with suspiciously high suspensions at the front.....
69501 suffered fire damage back in December and was parked up at the depot. In April 69505 was involved in some sort of accident and parts from 69501 were used to repair the near side front damage.

Tommy Walters

I see that 33836 made its 174 debut today (according to tracker). I'm now assuming that aside from the Bath Uni MMCs on the 376, all loaned vehicles have returned to their home depots in preparation for the service increases starting tomorrow!

Whiteway215

Established Member
I see on the latest First fleet changes on WM Buses in Photos website the rest of the X39 B9s have gone to Hengrove and Discover 69505 to LH.

Tommy Walters

I see on the latest First fleet changes on WM Buses in Photos website the rest of the X39 B9s have gone to Hengrove and Discover 69505 to LH.

It also thinks that 69443-7/57 have gone to LH. I don't think that's right somehow!! The Westbury RLE might have headed over for use on the 177/8s, since it could probably take one or two more passengers under social distancing than a Streetlite would!

The 59-plate B9s transferring seems logical now most of the Scanias have their vinyls applied!

Private Baxter

Established Member
It also thinks that 69443-7/57 have gone to LH. I don't think that's right somehow!! The Westbury RLE might have headed over for use on the 177/8s, since it could probably take one or two more passengers under social distancing than a Streetlite would!

The 59-plate B9s transferring seems logical now most of the Scanias have their vinyls applied!
69447 is still in Wells, whilst the rest are in Bath.

spw24

The Volvo,s were at LH for rail replacement not service and are now in Bath.
It looks like several of the B9s are now green for route 24 when thing settle down a bit. Most of the MMCs at Weston were moved back to Bristol with several moving today.

matt_splat

178 is to have deckers i believe a gas bus was spotted in Timsbury and Norton last Thursday

I also heard suggestion today but not sure how true it is that deckers might be looked at for the 126

D2007wsm

Established Member

178 is to have deckers i believe a gas bus was spotted in Timsbury and Norton last Thursday

I also heard suggestion today but not sure how true it is that deckers might be looked at for the 126
Correct, from Monday the 178 will be operated using deckers. I believe it was Wednesday a gas bus was used to test the route.

Streamr_MXP

69443 - 6 & 69457 have transferred to Bath, for work on the 5. 66720, 69447 & 69458 remain at Wells for the 126.
The 178 receiving doubles is something I've requested First do anyways, as it's much needed during peak times, and on Saturdays, so I'm grateful the dreadfully unreliable Streetlites are being replaced by most likely gas buses, whether this be temporary or potentially permanently if it works well.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
69443 - 6 & 69457 have transferred to Bath, for work on the 5. 66720, 69447 & 69458 remain at Wells for the 126.
The 178 receiving doubles is something I've requested First do anyways, as it's much needed during peak times, and on Saturdays, so I'm grateful the dreadfully unreliable Streetlites are being replaced by most likely gas buses, whether this be temporary or potentially permanently if it works well.

In my experience, the 178 was fine with B7RLEs in terms of capacity. Never felt it needed deckers but obviously in the world of social distancing, deckers make sense.

I do wonder about the perceived dreadful unreliability of Streetlites. Not only have I never been on one that has failed, I've yet to see one dead at the roadside. During the hot spell of 2018, the older Eclipses were dropping like flies however.

Streamr_MXP

In my experience, the 178 was fine with B7RLEs in terms of capacity. Never felt it needed deckers but obviously in the world of social distancing, deckers make sense.

I do wonder about the perceived dreadful unreliability of Streetlites. Not only have I never been on one that has failed, I've yet to see one dead at the roadside. During the hot spell of 2018, the older Eclipses were dropping like flies however.
I've been on a couple of Streetlites that have broken down, with most notably SN14 FFV, having broke down 3 times for me. Also SN14 FFU, SN64 CMU, SN64 CME have broken down before for me. There was at least 1 Streetlite breakdown a week between August and December 2019, on the 178 alone. The older Eclipses weren't much better when it came to reliability, and also Darts weren't too keen on running on the 178, with WX05 RUY almost dying on me a few times.
When it comes to capacity, on a normal Saturday morning, services into Bristol are completely packed. I've been on 69448 completely packed by the time it had made it to Farmborough. Also on weekday evenings, I've caught the 178 completely packed out of Bristol, and also the 178 service that departs Radstock around 4pm is in desperate need of being a double decker, due to school kids. The rest of the time, single deckers are perfectly adequate, it's only peak times which are in need of them full-time.

freetoview33

Established Member
What will be on the 37? Or are they going to simply work independently of each other? As said before in my eyes all services that can physically take Double Deckers should have them, and lets face it that really now only applies to a hand full of routes (Well very few in the grand scheme of things)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I've been on a couple of Streetlites that have broken down, with most notably SN14 FFV, having broke down 3 times for me. Also SN14 FFU, SN64 CMU, SN64 CME have broken down before for me. There was at least 1 Streetlite breakdown a week between August and December 2019, on the 178 alone. The older Eclipses weren't much better when it came to reliability, and also Darts weren't too keen on running on the 178, with WX05 RUY almost dying on me a few times.
When it comes to capacity, on a normal Saturday morning, services into Bristol are completely packed. I've been on 69448 completely packed by the time it had made it to Farmborough. Also on weekday evenings, I've caught the 178 completely packed out of Bristol, and also the 178 service that departs Radstock around 4pm is in desperate need of being a double decker, due to school kids. The rest of the time, single deckers are perfectly adequate, it's only peak times which are in need of them full-time.

Really? I can recall seeing 69253, 66941, 66942 and 66943 all failing, 66941 doing so at Hicks Gate!! I've been on loads of Streetlites in FWoE and elsewhere - never had a problem.

Remember going on the 178 a few years ago, peak journey, and it had 42556 on it!!

Tommy Walters

What will be on the 37? Or are they going to simply work independently of each other? As said before in my eyes all services that can physically take Double Deckers should have them, and lets face it that really now only applies to a hand full of routes (Well very few in the grand scheme of things)

The 37 isn't restarting next week. A combination of the 19 & 42-45 is still deemed sufficient to cover. The 35 is also not resuming service!

Tommy Walters

I'd say the Darts are the worst from my experiences on the 37s. 42969 in the Mint 5 livery is particularly bad, suffering from electrical troubles as well as sounding very poorly when I caught it in Feburary!

freetoview33

Established Member
The 37 isn't restarting next week. A combination of the 19 & 42-45 is still deemed sufficient to cover. The 35 is also not resuming service!
Just 37 I can understand as all the route is covered by other services (Well most) but the 35 I would have thought they might have tried something there.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'd say the Darts are the worst from my experiences on the 37s. 42969 in the Mint 5 livery is particularly bad, suffering from electrical troubles as well as sounding very poorly when I caught it in Feburary!

To be fair, they're now 14-15 years old. They're getting on a bit for a Dart.

As said before in my eyes all services that can physically take Double Deckers should have them, and lets face it that really now only applies to a hand full of routes

Is this generally or just in Bristol?