• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D2007wsm

Established Member
Just a heads up for any one travelling to or from Bristol tomorrow or Thursday on a country service, Whitsun Street outside the exit from Bristol Bus Station will be closed from 09:00 tomorrow (Wednesday) until 17:30 on Thursday.

This means as well as the Social Distancing drop off arrangements introduced yesterday, there will be no departures from the Bus Station. All services will depart from stops out on the roads:
  • 39/349/X1-X9/X39: Lewins Mead
  • 177/178/376/Y2-Y5: Bond Street (metrobus stop)
  • T2: Stokes Croft (Opposite The Full Moon)

Whiteway215

Established Member
On Tuesday 2nd June all of the Bath allocated buses that were originally stored at Westbury were still there.
None have been removed for scrap yet.
32003/8/14/69/70/75/76/83/96 32287/91 66722/6/7/32 66886 66943 69253

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Had a couple of housing viewings in Worle yesterday and Monday (socially distanced, of course!) and saw the usual observations. 33826 was on the X2, with not a bugger on board, but guessed a decker was used for social distancing purposes. In terms of town services, 3s were also deckers but again, hardly anyone on board. X5 was a Stagecoach Gold E300, thought they might have also plonked a E400 on. All ten buses I saw yesterday in and around Weston had no more than five people on board (32355 on a 3 had every seat taken downstairs and empty upstairs - still a common problem on decker routes all across the country).

cnjb8

Established Member
According to BoS Behind the Scenes Facebook page, three out of the four former Kernow Enviro200s are repainted.

henairs

Had a couple of housing viewings in Worle yesterday and Monday (socially distanced, of course!) and saw the usual observations. 33826 was on the X2, with not a bugger on board, but guessed a decker was used for social distancing purposes. In terms of town services, 3s were also deckers but again, hardly anyone on board. X5 was a Stagecoach Gold E300, thought they might have also plonked a E400 on. All ten buses I saw yesterday in and around Weston had no more than five people on board (32355 on a 3 had every seat taken downstairs and empty upstairs - still a common problem on decker routes all across the country).
Thanks to this inept government and the horrid virus it looks like public transport will suffer for years to come whether it be bus or train. Government wants a total car country but under the disguise of saying folk can cycle or walk both of which I do but no good for longer journeys.
People are scared of contacting the virus on public transport despite transport providers doing all they can to help ( social distancing measures ) but we have all be programmed to be suspicious of others around us so heading down the road to Chinese type country which is abhorrent in all ways.
I hope one day to visit local towns again by bus but wonder whether we ever will again except by car.
God help us all,
Mike R

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Thanks to this inept government and the horrid virus it looks like public transport will suffer for years to come whether it be bus or train. Government wants a total car country but under the disguise of saying folk can cycle or walk both of which I do but no good for longer journeys.
People are scared of contacting the virus on public transport despite transport providers doing all they can to help ( social distancing measures ) but we have all be programmed to be suspicious of others around us so heading down the road to Chinese type country which is abhorrent in all ways.
I hope one day to visit local towns again by bus but wonder whether we ever will again except by car.
God help us all,
Mike R

With respect, I don't understand people who fear of contracting the virus on public transport. It is no different from being in a supermarket or a bank.

Best wishes Mike.

Tommy Walters

With respect, I don't understand people who fear of contracting the virus on public transport. It is no different from being in a supermarket or a bank.

Best wishes Mike.

If anything, on buses in particular it's safer than a supermarket or bank, when you factor in the air flow from the opened windows and the fact that people are more inclined to use face coverings.

I can understand if people are more weary about using the tube in London though.

henairs

If anything, on buses in particular it's safer than a supermarket or bank, when you factor in the air flow from the opened windows and the fact that people are more inclined to use face coverings.

I can understand if people are more weary about using the tube in London though.
Hi Tommy, valley lines,
I agree when I've been into town or back it's okay as so few are actually travelling which could be an issue in future should folk abandon local transport in large numbers.
Whilst I find it refreshing in the warm days of summer with plenty of air once colder days arrive or wet ones not quite so nice.
I've travelled on several journeys where it's not been badly cold yet still the old ones complain that the windows have to be closed or else they will die.
Not sure how many buses have air con other than windows but like coaches guess there are some out there.
Stay safe,
Mike

Private Baxter

Established Member
Probably old news now but Westbury depot is closing/closed permanently.
That's actually new news, and a real shame. Last outstation standing. Following the loss of the 234 and Trowbridge town routes, it has survived by taking on work that can be done from the main depot and interworking it with the 265. Guess the loss of the 272/D3 was the final nail.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
That's actually new news, and a real shame. Last outstation standing. Following the loss of the 234 and Trowbridge town routes, it has survived by taking on work that can be done from the main depot and interworking it with the 265. Guess the loss of the 272/D3 was the final nail.

It also took on the work from other closed outstations at Melksham and Frome. I assume few drivers will want to transfer to Bath depot and that will cause problems in itself. Can see it being two routes, with a half hourly D2 to Frome, and a half hourly D1 to Trowbridge with hourly projections to Warminster.

Think when I first visited, there were outstations at Chippenham, Devizes, Frome and a minilink one in Trowbridge.

matt_splat

Nothing regarding Westbury has been confirmed but things certainly point in that direction from driver rumour what I think we really could see in the future is maybe the D1X staying hourly service from Bath to North Bradley or Trowbridge and the D1 staying hourly via winsley to warminster 2 hourly to Salisbury.

I wonder if Westbury goes we could see some later trips to Westbury or warminster as I'm sure a dead run back down the a36 would be just as quick as running dead from trowbridge to bath.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Nothing regarding Westbury has been confirmed but things certainly point in that direction from driver rumour what I think we really could see in the future is maybe the D1X staying hourly service from Bath to North Bradley or Trowbridge and the D1 staying hourly via winsley to warminster 2 hourly to Salisbury.

I wonder if Westbury goes we could see some later trips to Westbury or warminster as I'm sure a dead run back down the a36 would be just as quick as running dead from trowbridge to bath.

I don't know if the long term prognosis for the D1 is for a D1X. From Bradford, you are missing out Winsley and Limpley Stoke but otherwise no other villages (though it's interesting how many it picks up on the A36).

henairs

I don't know if the long term prognosis for the D1 is for a D1X. From Bradford, you are missing out Winsley and Limpley Stoke but otherwise no other villages (though it's interesting how many it picks up on the A36).
Hi Wazoo,
I have used D1 several times to visit the canal basin at Dundas (viaduct hotel stop) as well as the stop opposite the track down to Dundas Aquaduct for walks along the old coal canal stub and Kennet and Avon sections of canal there. Lovely scenery anytime of year and good cafe in the Brassknocker basin beneath viaduct stop. Often other passengers around in low numbers doing similar.
Hope yourself and family keeping well at this time,
Cheers,
Mike R

baza585

I've never really understood why First persist with the D1 beyond Warminster. They are competing with the train service that they already run; other than Wilton, there are no settlements of any size en route. I can see why Salisbury Reds aka GSC might run it, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if First dropped it, particularly if Westbury is closing.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I've never really understood why First persist with the D1 beyond Warminster. They are competing with the train service that they already run; other than Wilton, there are no settlements of any size en route. I can see why Salisbury Reds aka GSC might run it, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if First dropped it, particularly if Westbury is closing.

It's not really the end to end market but the various villages like Codford and South Newton. However, last time I travelled on it, I was one of the few fare payers though it was probably half full (mid morning).

It was historically two hourly, becoming hourly with RBC funding. GSC and First shared it but GSC pulled out in 2007/8 (?) and First continued west of Warminster. It became an hourly tender (serv 24) with GSC initially before a tender process saw it move to Hatts. It was a surprise when First registered it commercially but, of course, it has since been reduced to two hourly.

I might suggest Faresaver as well, but I'm now guilty of my own crime of speculation so I'll shut up.

Private Baxter

Established Member
From memory, the route from Warminster to Salisbury is direct and doesn't serve any additional towns, though it has been at least five years since I did the route. It is obviously the perfect route for Westbury outstation, but that alone hardly justifies the expense of it all.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Hi Wazoo,
I have used D1 several times to visit the canal basin at Dundas (viaduct hotel stop) as well as the stop opposite the track down to Dundas Aquaduct for walks along the old coal canal stub and Kennet and Avon sections of canal there. Lovely scenery anytime of year and good cafe in the Brassknocker basin beneath viaduct stop. Often other passengers around in low numbers doing similar.
Hope yourself and family keeping well at this time,
Cheers,
Mike R
Hi Mike

Seems like a long time since I had a coffee in the Angelfish. It's a lovely area and you also get people waiting near Claverton. Some visiting the pumping station and canal but also some locals.

We're keeping safe thanks. Bored witless as the only escape is to get on my bike and have a long cycle. Hope you're keeping well too.

Private Baxter

Established Member
It also took on the work from other closed outstations at Melksham and Frome. I assume few drivers will want to transfer to Bath depot and that will cause problems in itself. Can see it being two routes, with a half hourly D2 to Frome, and a half hourly D1 to Trowbridge with hourly projections to Warminster.

Think when I first visited, there were outstations at Chippenham, Devizes, Frome and a minilink one in Trowbridge.
I believe it merged with Frome outstation when it closed, though when Melksham outstation closed (2012?), its sole route, 272, was worked by Bath, and the 267 also later was run by the main depot. However following the loss of all other Trowbridge work, 267 and 272 went to Westbury, which to be fair opened greater flexibility in to the way the services were worked. If Westbury is to close, perhaps the site will continue to be used as storage (as is currently the case), following the loss of Muller Road.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I believe it merged with Frome outstation when it closed, though when Melksham outstation closed (2012?), its sole route, 272, was worked by Bath, and the 267 also later was run by the main depot. However following the loss of all other Trowbridge work, 267 and 272 went to Westbury, which to be fair opened greater flexibility in to the way the services were worked. If Westbury is to close, perhaps the site will continue to be used as storage (as is currently the case), following the loss of Muller Road.

I thought the 272 passed from Melksham to Westbury but if you say it went to Bath, I'll go with that. Frome was folded into Westbury and they gained the 234 and 267 and also the 30 Frome Local service; don't think the 267 was worked by the main depot but they did have the 184.

freetoview33

Established Member
There could be a few operators who might consider the southern half of the D1, but then again who knows how viable it is, but you'd of thought with all the cuts to routes if this was not viable it would have gone already. You do have Faresaver (Although I don't think so), Frome Bus, Salisbury Red and Beeline Coaches. But yes not worth keeping Westbury open for 2 routes!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
There could be a few operators who might consider the southern half of the D1, but then again who knows how viable it is, but you'd of thought with all the cuts to routes if this was not viable it would have gone already. You do have Faresaver (Although I don't think so), Frome Bus, Salisbury Red and Beeline Coaches. But yes not worth keeping Westbury open for 2 routes!

Why not Faresaver? Would say it's closer to their bag than Frome Bus or Beeline.

It's certainly a route that was perhaps historically profitable between Salisbury and Warminster on a two hourly frequency. However, even before CV19, gut feeling and nothing more makes me think it might be marginal and more hassle than its worth for First.

freetoview33

Established Member
Why not Faresaver? Would say it's closer to their bag than Frome Bus or Beeline.

It's certainly a route that was perhaps historically profitable between Salisbury and Warminster on a two hourly frequency. However, even before CV19, gut feeling and nothing more makes me think it might be marginal and more hassle than its worth for First.
With faresaver giving up the X67 It just seems to me that they are happy with what they have at the moment.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
With faresaver giving up the X67 It just seems to me that they are happy with what they have at the moment.

I think that's just a reflection that it's an overbussed route (X67/D2) and its probably not going to be able to sustain that service level especially in these times. IF First were to withdraw the Salisbury element of the D1 (and this is still speculation), I'd have Faresaver as more likely than anyone to take it on.

henairs

Hi Mike

Seems like a long time since I had a coffee in the Angelfish. It's a lovely area and you also get people waiting near Claverton. Some visiting the pumping station and canal but also some locals.

We're keeping safe thanks. Bored witless as the only escape is to get on my bike and have a long cycle. Hope you're keeping well too.
Good to know, Carolyn and myself are well and fiddling about with walks, gardening and short trips to our local reservoir and river for exercise and nature watching.
Grant Shapps announced today that as from June 15th face masks must be worn when on public transport.
This can be home made adaptions hired from furloughed bank robbers, lol.
As you probibly know Yeovil is hilly but once out of town heading north or west the landscape becomes flatter and more adaptable for cycling (well for me anyway)
Best wishes,
Mike R

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Good to know, Carolyn and myself are well and fiddling about with walks, gardening and short trips to our local reservoir and river for exercise and nature watching.
Grant Shapps announced today that as from June 15th face masks must be worn when on public transport.
This can be home made adaptions hired from furloughed bank robbers, lol.
As you probibly know Yeovil is hilly but once out of town heading north or west the landscape becomes flatter and more adaptable for cycling (well for me anyway)
Best wishes,
Mike R

Glad you're keeping well. I've done as much gardening as I can cope with!! I do know Yeovil is hilly....I've run the half marathon before!! I've cycled down there before too and it is quite relaxing round Ilchester and out towards Langport.

TBH, I'm pleased that they've specified face masks. It seems like a logical step.