• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

freetoview33

Established Member
A question going back a few years. How often and what was used on the X55 Bath to Stratford? I could find old tts for all other services around 2000 but not that one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

henairs

Glad you're keeping well. I've done as much gardening as I can cope with!! I do know Yeovil is hilly....I've run the half marathon before!! I've cycled down there before too and it is quite relaxing round Ilchester and out towards Langport.

TBH, I'm pleased that they've specified face masks. It seems like a logical step.
Hi Wazoo,
Totally agree about masks to be worn. Plenty of TV footage of folk wearing them around the globe.
Already tried a mask on our local bus, okay for short distance, may be different over a longer one.
Anything that helps on the road to recovery has to be given a try.
Keep safe,
Mike

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Hi Wazoo,
Totally agree about masks to be worn. Plenty of TV footage of folk wearing them around the globe.
Already tried a mask on our local bus, okay for short distance, may be different over a longer one.
Anything that helps on the road to recovery has to be given a try.
Keep safe,
Mike

Yeah - it certainly can't do any harm and it will only be a positive step, both practically in terms of reducing transmission and in terms of reassurance to passengers.

Having not been on a bus since February, I am certainly missing my jollys (even though I know it's for the best). Have barely escaped Somerset (aside from the odd cycle ride over the border into Wiltshire). I'm sure we're not alone in that.

freetoview33

Established Member
Yeah - it certainly can't do any harm and it will only be a positive step, both practically in terms of reducing transmission and in terms of reassurance to passengers.

Having not been on a bus since February, I am certainly missing my jollys (even though I know it's for the best). Have barely escaped Somerset (aside from the odd cycle ride over the border into Wiltshire). I'm sure we're not alone in that.
When I've got the bus, I've tended to be the only one wearing a mask!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Most coop and tesco stores now sell them.

I saw some in the petrol station the other day - should've picked them up

You can just make one from an old T-Shirt/Cloth/Bandanna instead. The requirement is for face coverings, not face masks!

I've got some "buffs" from mountain biking.... If only I'd not sold my full face helmet :D

Private Baxter

Established Member
I thought the 272 passed from Melksham to Westbury but if you say it went to Bath, I'll go with that. Frome was folded into Westbury and they gained the 234 and 267 and also the 30 Frome Local service; don't think the 267 was worked by the main depot but they did have the 184.
I'm near certain that the 272 was, at least for a time operated out of Bath depot, as I seem to recall Westbury outstation taking it on following the loss of the Trowbridge routes, but they might also have done it previously.
I think all Frome work essentially transferred to Westbury as you say, and I think the 267 was operated from there henceforth. I have a vague recollection of a swap; whereby the 184 went to Westbury, and 267 to Bath around 2014, though admit my memory is sketchy.

Private Baxter

Established Member
A question going back a few years. How often and what was used on the X55 Bath to Stratford? I could find old tts for all other services around 2000 but not that one.
Never knew such a service existed. Must have been quite a long journey. Was it operated by Bath depot?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'm near certain that the 272 was, at least for a time operated out of Bath depot, as I seem to recall Westbury outstation taking it on following the loss of the Trowbridge routes, but they might also have done it previously.
I think all Frome work essentially transferred to Westbury as you say, and I think the 267 was operated from there henceforth. I have a vague recollection of a swap; whereby the 184 went to Westbury, and 267 to Bath around 2014, though admit my memory is sketchy.

I'm pretty certain that the 184 was a Bath depot working after Frome closed, and that the 267 went to Westbury.

swifty

Established Member
Possibly. TBF, @Private Baxter may well be right and I'm misremembering. I am fairly certain the last one from Frome (about 1815) was a Bath depot one.

I remember it being discussed on this thread at the time, if someone has the time to look back through I’m sure the answer is there somewhere.

swifty

Established Member
I have been informed of the following surrounding work from Westbury Depot

260 /263

are services ran from Westbury depot (may have missed one or two Trowbridge locals)

184 - now this ones interesting
Two busses on the duty are Westbury one bus is Bath

trips starting at Frome in the morning are ran by Westbury Outstation the drivers then work the short trips in between and spend Most of the day apparently on the 184s then during the afternoon apparently one Westbury driver travels from Westbury to Bath as a passenger on a 265 the driver then does a trip to Frome a return trip to Bath before I believe doing the evening 267s from Bath - Frome at 21:15 and then the last 267 before the bus returns to Westbury. (yet to properly confirm the last part)

Just had a quick scout back through and this popped up on page 84 if anyone wants to do further reading.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Just had a quick scout back through and this popped up on page 84 if anyone wants to do further reading.

Fair dos - your memory is better than mine :D and indeed, @matt_splat and @Private Baxter also have better recollections than me :oops:

I guess the one I recall must have been the Bath depot board. The 184 was hourly from Bath, with every other one running through to Frome and the shorts to Withies Park? Now, who is the prime minister, who am I....... nurse!!!!! :lol:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
That's about a 75 mile journey! Surprised coaches weren't used!!

This is First we're talking about.

It's not like people would be doing the end to end journey (except for the poor driver or clinically insane) but more a series of overlapping sets of journeys. Route was Bath - Old Sodbury - Westonbirt - Tetbury - Kemble - Cirencester - Northleach - Bourton On The Water - Stow on the Wold - Moreton In Marsh - Chipping Campden - Stratford On Avon (as nicked from BVBG website).

Tommy Walters

This is First we're talking about.

It's not like people would be doing the end to end journey (except for the poor driver or clinically insane) but more a series of overlapping sets of journeys. Route was Bath - Old Sodbury - Westonbirt - Tetbury - Kemble - Cirencester - Northleach - Bourton On The Water - Stow on the Wold - Moreton In Marsh - Chipping Campden - Stratford On Avon (as nicked from BVBG website).

I suppose from a tourism point of view, you might have got a few people doing the full journey between two hotspots. I hope the driver had a reasonable break up at the Stratford end!!

Private Baxter

Established Member
Fair play on looking that up! You have more patience than I would have!!
Fair dos - your memory is better than mine :D and indeed, @matt_splat and @Private Baxter also have better recollections than me :oops:

I guess the one I recall must have been the Bath depot board. The 184 was hourly from Bath, with every other one running through to Frome and the shorts to Withies Park? Now, who is the prime minister, who am I....... nurse!!!!! :lol:
I think you can be forgiven for forgetting the workings of a couple of bus service a few years ago. ;)
I'm normally pretty good remembering but even I couldn't quite remember the full detail. What is clear however is just how much work has disappeared in the last few years.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I suppose from a tourism point of view, you might have got a few people doing the full journey between two hotspots. I hope the driver had a reasonable break up at the Stratford end!!

They are two tourist hotspots, I cannot deny. However, just had a try at calculating the various legs on that route viz

1 Stratford to Moreton via Chipping (1hr 10)
801 Moreton to Bourton (22)
855 Bourton to Ciren (54)
882 Ciren to Tetbury (30)
69 Tetbury to Old Sodbury (23)
The Old Sodbury to Bath bit is probably 30 mins given how long the 79 takes to get to Cold Ashton

That's just under 4 hours one way. I suspect it was more for people in Bath or Stratford to head into the Cotswolds hotspots of Ciren, Bourton and Stow, and for locals to travel to Bath or Stratford, and local journeys in between. The 855 survives as a reminder, I suspect

swifty

Established Member
They are two tourist hotspots, I cannot deny. However, just had a try at calculating the various legs on that route viz

1 Stratford to Moreton via Chipping (1hr 10)
801 Moreton to Bourton (22)
855 Bourton to Ciren (54)
882 Ciren to Tetbury (30)
69 Tetbury to Old Sodbury (23)
The Old Sodbury to Bath bit is probably 30 mins given how long the 79 takes to get to Cold Ashton

That's just under 4 hours one way. I suspect it was more for people in Bath or Stratford to head into the Cotswolds hotspots of Ciren, Bourton and Stow, and for locals to travel to Bath or Stratford, and local journeys in between. The 855 survives as a reminder, I suspect

I’ve had a little bit of a Google and this Cotswold Distrcit Council funding form (https://bit.ly/3f0nGiR) suggests it was a twice a day in each direction service funded by the RBG. From other old links I can find it seems to run during 99 - 01 only and didn’t carry many.