• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

83G/84D

Established Member
Cant swear on it and to be honest I am not so familiar with the routes down west but i do believe the tree lopper decker is down doing the A1 route for the next 3 days (wed,thurs,fri) for deckers or open toppers I dont know. The tree lopper finished off its work on the A5 yesterday (tues) and today trident 33172 is working the A5 mainly for the school run bits it does and e200 still on the other A5 working

Thanks for that, may go looking for that tomorrow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MB162435

Established Member
Cant swear on it and to be honest I am not so familiar with the routes down west but i do believe the tree lopper decker is down doing the A1 route for the next 3 days (wed,thurs,fri) for deckers or open toppers I dont know. The tree lopper finished off its work on the A5 yesterday (tues) and today trident 33172 is working the A5 mainly for the school run bits it does and e200 still on the other A5 working
It was one of those plans that disappeared when the lockdown came in, but wasn't sure if it was scrapped or not as it wasn't dependent on restrictions being lifted, but good to see the A5 route still being prepped for when it goes open top

83G/84D

Established Member
The "Discover Kernow" brand on the two Scania's is no more. 65725 is still "Discover" branded minus the "Kernow" whilst 65724 is now unbranded. I didn't see if the pretty landscape image has been removed off the back of 65724.

Attachments

• IMG_0001rev.jpg
    IMG_0001rev.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0003rev.jpg
    IMG_0003rev.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 77

fgwrich

Established Member
The "Discover Kernow" brand on the two Scania's is no more. 65725 is still "Discover" branded minus the "Kernow" whilst 65724 is now unbranded. I didn't see if the pretty landscape image has been removed off the back of 65724.

Oh that's a bit of a shame, as odd as it was it did look rather smart. I wonder if that means it'll be sent for repainting shortly into standard Kernow livery (unless they have a special version in mind).

I must say though, First really has come a long way away from the dreaded Barbie with some of these localised liveries across the new template. That discover base still looks excellent. And a lot more colourful and warming than the new Stagecoach version.

83G/84D

Established Member
I think the two were planned to be used on a Falmouth park & ride service although I cannot see that operating this summer. It will be interesting to see what the plans are for them now, maybe no change for now then college services come September? Green livery is a good bet.

MB162435

Established Member
Oh that's a bit of a shame, as odd as it was it did look rather smart. I wonder if that means it'll be sent for repainting shortly into standard Kernow livery (unless they have a special version in mind).

I must say though, First really has come a long way away from the dreaded Barbie with some of these localised liveries across the new template. That discover base still looks excellent. And a lot more colourful and warming than the new Stagecoach version.
With them being planned for the Maritime P&R, a maritime based livery would be good, a blue based livery wouldn't look out of place with the Uni buses as well

Would also show what the new service is for, so everyone knows the service exists, maybe the Museum might part fund the livery?

Lizard1324

With them being planned for the Maritime P&R, a maritime based livery would be good, a blue based livery wouldn't look out of place with the Uni buses as well

Would also show what the new service is for, so everyone knows the service exists, maybe the Museum might part fund the livery?
Is there a new p+r site opening or does it just go around the existing car parks?

MB162435

Established Member
Is there a new p+r site opening or does it just go around the existing car parks?
Run from existing park and ride car park to maritime museum. There is a low bridge on route hence big single deckers
Yeah still the Ponsharden site

A bus driver already found out you can't get a double decker bus under the bridge by Falmouth Town Station, reports said she was pretty embarrassed, especially as many vehicles has struck it over the years and its well known for its low height

richw

Veteran Member
Scanias
They are still specifically for the National Maritime Museum Park and Ride and rail replacement out of season. The NMM contract is an ongoing one not just for this season.
They will be receiving a dedicated livery as part of the contract - the NMMs choice - not ours.

Painting
Painting stopped when 92% of our customers stopped travelling - and paying.
Pretty much every business in the U.K. faced with a similar situation stopped all discretionary spending.
The paint programme is live again but the two external paint shops we use furlough staff and get going Again. We’re waiting on them. Quality in Botley are getting two vehicles next week - a coach from Cornwall and the last E300 from Somerset.
Bodmin can start in 3-4 weeks.
In addition we are starting a number of internal repaints shortly.

Open Tops
The 10 from Ensign have been acquires but the 7 conversions will need recertification and the three that are already open top need MOTs. Dvsa haven’t been undertaking either MOTs or certifications for three months. They may start again in July - albeit undoubtedly with a backlog.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Scanias
They are still specifically for the National Maritime Museum Park and Ride and rail replacement out of season. The NMM contract is an ongoing one not just for this season.
They will be receiving a dedicated livery as part of the contract - the NMMs choice - not ours.

Painting
Pretty much every business in the U.K. faced with a similar situation stopped all discretionary spending.
The paint programme is live again but the two external paint shops we use furlough staff and get going Again. We’re waiting on them. Quality in Botley are getting two vehicles next week - a coach from Cornwall and the last E300 from Somerset.

Open Tops
The 10 from Ensign have been acquires but the 7 conversions will need recertification and the three that are already open top need MOTs. Dvsa haven’t been undertaking either MOTs or certifications for three months. They may start again in July - albeit undoubtedly with a backlog.
Great update. Thanks very much.

richw

Veteran Member
If anyone heard the radio Cornwall article yesterday it was massively inaccurate. Perhaps should have fact checked before going on air!

Lizard1324

If anyone heard the radio Cornwall article yesterday it was massively inaccurate. Perhaps should have fact checked before going on air!
So we have one paint shop starting this week for the e300 and a coach then moving to to other buses next and the Bodmin one in a few weeks.
What did the radio say?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

What was the Radio Cornwall article saying? ps thanks for the update on the fleet

I agree that the Discover scheme is really quite a nice base; when it appeared, I wondered if it wouldn't make a nice Greater Manchester livery but instead, they divested most of the business :D The First world is certainly a colourful place now

I would disagree with the "dreaded Barbie". The original scheme and the Barbie 3 weren't bad IMHO - they just ended up symbolising all that had gone wrong with First. Newly applied and kept clean, it looked ok.

However, then you had the Barbie 2 fades that did little to hide the fact that they were clagged onto an increasingly aged and battered fleet. Of course, First Devon and Cornwall seemingly were able to not bother with the pink fades on many occasions

cnjb8

Established Member
Scanias

Painting

Open Tops
Is the Bodmin paintshop owned by First?

83G/84D

Established Member
Scanias

Painting

Open Tops

Thanks for the update richw.

Lizard1324

According to this bus fleet list : https://bustimes.org/operators/first-kernow/vehicles
There is more b7tl geminis coming from Portsmouth, how many more are left to arrive from other depots and are they all b7tls.
Another question I was looking and our 07 plate b7 geminis were registered in April 2007 (e.g. 37181) and some of the first b9 geminis were registered in may - August 2007 (e.g. 37182), so does that make the kernow b7tl geminis the newest in the first fleet and when did the first (First bus) b9tl enter service

richw

Veteran Member
My Original Gemini suffered a fault earlier today. I’ve received 33176 in its place to finish my duty.
Final working today will be 1805 truro to Newquay 87.
It had just come off the TH051 school run when i needed it.

Attachments

• E408BB9B-F3A7-4771-9321-AA0F76985538.jpeg
    E408BB9B-F3A7-4771-9321-AA0F76985538.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 66
  • F206928B-7429-43ED-872F-7CA82356939A.jpeg
    F206928B-7429-43ED-872F-7CA82356939A.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 69

Goldfish62

Established Member
My Original Gemini suffered a fault earlier today. I’ve received 33176 in its place to finish my duty.
Good to have the Tridents back. Feels like a bit of a step back to normality.

Lizard1324

It looks good for a 18 year old vehicle.

fgwrich

Established Member
It looks good for a 18 year old vehicle.

I have to admit, I do have a liking for the Plaxton Presidents with bonded glazing. They are another rather timeless design, with very little giving away their age. Put them in a very smart livery like Southern Vectis or Atlantic Coaster and they look as good as a new vehicle.

fgwrich

Established Member
I agree that the Discover scheme is really quite a nice base; when it appeared, I wondered if it wouldn't make a nice Greater Manchester livery but instead, they divested most of the business :D The First world is certainly a colourful place now

I would disagree with the "dreaded Barbie". The original scheme and the Barbie 3 weren't bad IMHO - they just ended up symbolising all that had gone wrong with First. Newly applied and kept clean, it looked ok.

However, then you had the Barbie 2 fades that did little to hide the fact that they were clagged onto an increasingly aged and battered fleet. Of course, First Devon and Cornwall seemingly were able to not bother with the pink fades on many occasions

That's true, but I still feel that Barbie 2 was a terrible livery and somehow managed to make any vehicle unlucky enough to be plastered with it look almost instantly dated. Barbie 3 did look smarter though, and I did find the Wrightbus Eclipse 2s & 3s delivered in it to look rather smart. Likewise, it did manage to bring even a relatively old Bristol VR or Leyland Olympian look rather smart, even if it's interior wasn't as new!

richw

Veteran Member
I have to admit, I do have a liking for the Plaxton Presidents with bonded glazing. They are another rather timeless design, with very little giving away their age. Put them in a very smart livery like Southern Vectis or Atlantic Coaster and they look as good as a new vehicle.

They’ve lost their private plates or they could pass as newer vehicles. Always thought they looked a nice smart design from the first time I saw them when the first came to Cornwall many years back

Goldfish62

Established Member
The President was originally designed to have bonded glazing only, but too many operators wanted gasket. Hence the uneven window line.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
That's true, but I still feel that Barbie 2 was a terrible livery and somehow managed to make any vehicle unlucky enough to be plastered with it look almost instantly dated. Barbie 3 did look smarter though, and I did find the Wrightbus Eclipse 2s & 3s delivered in it to look rather smart. Likewise, it did manage to bring even a relatively old Bristol VR or Leyland Olympian look rather smart, even if it's interior wasn't as new!

Apologies if I wasn't as clear as I should have been. Barbie 2 with the fades was awful IMO. Invariably, they would be scuffed and look shabby or a panel would be replaced and they wouldn't have vinyls available as in this case https://www.flickr.com/photos/capuc...Rq-wqdM9L-q89Jqu-xjcSoa-weDptz-HsMF52-xYhkZ3/

Barbie 3 was much better but in truth, the First image was so badly tarnished by then, it was too late

fgwrich

Established Member
The President was originally designed to have bonded glazing only, but too many operators wanted gasket. Hence the uneven window line.

I'm not surprised, there's quite a contrast between the much smarter bonded glazed vehicles and the rather lumpy looking, uneven window lined versions with the cheaper gasket glazing (as picked by Stagecoach, Go Ahead - B&H & GNE and First Centrewest). Even the smart Atlantic Coaster livery tried to make it look smarter than it is.

Apologies if I wasn't as clear as I should have been. Barbie 2 with the fades was awful IMO. Invariably, they would be scuffed and look shabby or a panel would be replaced and they wouldn't have vinyls available as in this case https://www.flickr.com/photos/capuc...Rq-wqdM9L-q89Jqu-xjcSoa-weDptz-HsMF52-xYhkZ3/

Barbie 3 was much better but in truth, the First image was so badly tarnished by then, it was too late

That's fine, I was rather tired when I read & wrote that last night, so even I'm surprised my comment made sense :lol: God only knows who or what convinced them to come up with that vinyl fade! Some of my earliest memories of it were from visiting relatives up in Edinburgh and seeing the scruffy Barbie 2 liveried vehicles overtaken by much smarter "Harlequin livery" buses from Lothian.