• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

gka472l

When do the Bristol & Bath buses that were used on G7 work / rail replacement go back?
There are 3 or 4 showing on the bustimes tracker heading back as I type this, all around the Exeter area at the moment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On the Buses

But it wasn't on the initial list of Adventures by Bus routes.
The Newquay mini network will become part of our new ‘Sunseeker’ brand when the vehicles are available.

‘The Mousehole’ will become an adventure later in the year following a refresh and the introduction of additional fleet.

The Newquay mini network will become part of our new ‘Sunseeker’ brand when the vehicles are available.

‘The Mousehole’ will become an adventure later in the year following a refresh and the introduction of additional fleet.
Two questions for you:

Will the Sunseeker vehicles be the two recently required lolynes and two E200s which are being converted? It’ll be strange to see E200s as open tops!!

When Mousehole becomes an adventure, will the solos stay on it and get an updated livery?

Mousehole is already a service under Kernow, from Penzance to the village Mousehole. It’s operated by three ‘baby’ Solos and the brand has been around for a couple of years
One thing I should say, 53709 hasn’t tracked since April so there must be something seriously wrong with it.

Busgeek

Well a few points that I've been wondering.

1. The new college routes, will first be putting on an early U4 to get Porthleven passengers for the college routes?

2. The latest news within Glasgow is Caledonia depot and the investment of EV vehicles. I do wonder now how far behind kernow will be on the NET zero accomplishment. They've gone from a good fleet, to old, smokey ones again. Obviously aware that 30 E400 MMC are away with SPS still earning money for Kernow.

3. How much longer are we going to have to wait for ticket machines to be fixed? Got on the U4 and asked for a Lizard ticket, driver said he couldn't do one?! It's part of the lizard network. I know new projects have snags. But there's been plenty of time to fix these ☹️

Lizard1324

1. The new college routes, will first be putting on an early U4 to get Porthleven passengers for the college routes?

2. The latest news within Glasgow is Caledonia depot and the investment of EV vehicles. I do wonder now how far behind kernow will be on the NET zero accomplishment. They've gone from a good fleet, to old, smokey ones again. Obviously aware that 30 E400 MMC are away with SPS still earning money for Kernow.

3. How much longer are we going to have to wait for ticket machines to be fixed? Got on the U4 and asked for a Lizard ticket, driver said he couldn't do one?! It's part of the lizard network. I know new projects have snags. But there's been plenty of time to fix these ☹️
The early U4 for porthleven to college is called the 234.

It will likely be kernow will receive some of Glasgows newer buses which aren't electric.

The older B7TLs are only temporary, they will be going once the 30 MMCs start returning from SPS. I should be alright seeing some of those when I come down next week! I wouldn’t even say no to perhaps having a ride on one.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The latest news within Glasgow is Caledonia depot and the investment of EV vehicles. I do wonder now how far behind kernow will be on the NET zero accomplishment. They've gone from a good fleet, to old, smokey ones again. Obviously aware that 30 E400 MMC are away with SPS still earning money for Kernow.

It will likely be kernow will receive some of Glasgows newer buses which aren't electric.

The older B7TLs are only temporary, they will be going once the 30 MMCs start returning from SPS. I should be alright seeing some of those when I come down next week! I wouldn’t even say no to perhaps having a ride on one
The oldest B7TLs are a temporary fix whilst the issues of social distancing and higher PVRs are in place and the mmcs are working at Hinckley Point. When they return, which I think was confirmed by @On the Buses as sometime in the summer, then the elderly B7TLs will head off and there will be a fleet that on most major trunk routes (Tinner, U Lines, plus a few others like the 27) will be pretty youthful. The only route which stands out is the M6 as being pretty frequent without having modern kit, and it seems that consideration is being given to that in due course given the demos etc.

The Glasgow fleet also has quite a number of ageing Tridents, B7TLs (incl some of the same batch already in Kernow) and B7RLEs and they are doubtless ready to get moved on. What the replacement and disposal/cascade plan is with those, who knows but given a number are Eclipses, I would be surprised if much does move to Kernow.

However, we should remember the amount of new vehicle investment during 2016-2019 was pretty phenomenal. Cornwall isn't fantastic bus territory; much of the PVR is often built around schools and college traffic. There are also plenty of other places that haven't had anything like that investment so it may be that Kernow will have to wait awhile. However, were it not for Covid, you'd have the oldest fleet being 16/17 year old deckers (excluding open toppers - they are generally a bit older); compare that to the days of scabby 25 year old VRs and elderly Olympians.

It's not great at the moment but needs must, temporarily, and it's a lot better than the dark days of First Devon & Cornwall.

The oldest B7TLs are a temporary fix whilst the issues of social distancing and higher PVRs are in place and the mmcs are working at Hinckley Point. When they return, which I think was confirmed by @On the Buses as sometime in the summer, then the elderly B7TLs will head off and there will be a fleet that on most major trunk routes (Tinner, U Lines, plus a few others like the 27) will be pretty youthful. The only route which stands out is the M6 as being pretty frequent without having modern kit, and it seems that consideration is being given to that in due course given the demos etc.

The Glasgow fleet also has quite a number of ageing Tridents, B7TLs (incl some of the same batch already in Kernow) and B7RLEs and they are doubtless ready to get moved on. What the replacement and disposal/cascade plan is with those, who knows but given a number are Eclipses, I would be surprised if much does move to Kernow.

However, we should remember the amount of new vehicle investment during 2016-2019 was pretty phenomenal. Cornwall isn't fantastic bus territory; much of the PVR is often built around schools and college traffic. There are also plenty of other places that haven't had anything like that investment so it may be that Kernow will have to wait awhile. However, were it not for Covid, you'd have the oldest fleet being 16/17 year old deckers (excluding open toppers - they are generally a bit older); compare that to the days of scabby 25 year old VRs and elderly Olympians.

It's not great at the moment but needs must, temporarily, and it's a lot better than the dark days of First Devon & Cornwall.
So it looks to me whenever the MMCs return over summer, they will run most of the routes again then the Geminis will mostly run schools/colleges and the leisure services. They’re also waiting for suitable replacements for most of the remaining Tridents in both Cornwall and Somerset although @On the Buses confirmed the Lolynes are staying. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s more Geminis. It looks to me now that SPS have their new bus orders coming through. He also said the oldest B7TLs will go off to Ensign when the MMCs have returned.

Last edited:

cnjb8

Established Member
There was mention of the Somerset Tridents being replaced by more Geminis. Wouldn’t be surprised if they came from Glasgow now.
There will be around 70 Glasgow B7TLs replaced soon, I expect most of these to go toward replacing the remaining Tridents and ALXs at West Yorkshire and Essex for example

vla50

Are the Kernow branded Tridents staying (So PJ02PZP/PZY/LR02LWY and those lot)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
There was mention of the Somerset Tridents being replaced by more Geminis. Wouldn’t be surprised if they came from Glasgow now.
There will be around 70 Glasgow B7TLs replaced soon, I expect most of these to go toward replacing the remaining Tridents and ALXs at West Yorkshire and Essex for example
Aren't the vehicles due for Glasgow initially single decks for the 9/9A so replacing Eclipses?

Whiteway215

Established Member
The older B7TLs are only temporary, they will be going once the 30 MMCs start returning from SPS. I should be alright seeing some of those when I come down next week! I wouldn’t even say no to perhaps having a ride on one.
On the Buses stated some time ago that the twenty or so ‘temporary’ deckers will all pass to Ensign in due course. 32261/69/86/87 have already passed to Ensign and I imagine these four are/were part of the temporary fleet. Ex Bath 32286/87 have also been reported as sold on by Ensign to an operator.

charlie1284

Last edited by a moderator:

vla50

Will the Optares stay on the route, or will it be new buses?

Last edited by a moderator:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
!There's nothing else that provides the capacity, especially with a 2bph service, so I'd expect newer Solos. But then I'm often wrong!
In the spirit of G. Edgeley Cox, someone should be commissioned to add a top deck to the Solo, then Mousehole Solos could become as famous as the East Yorkshire Beverley Bar Regents. Please don't go to the trouble of dissecting, then rubbishing, the idea, though I'd donate a tenner to any attempt to achieve the impossible. :D

Goldfish62

Established Member
In the spirit of G. Edgeley Cox, someone should be commissioned to add a top deck to the Solo, then Mousehole Solos could become as famous as the East Yorkshire Beverley Bar Regents. Please don't go to the trouble of dissecting, then rubbishing, the idea, though I'd donate a tenner to any attempt to achieve the impossible. :D
Except on the Old Post Office Corner there's a heavy camber which means the top deck wouldn't last long. :D

cnjb8

Established Member
Aren't the vehicles due for Glasgow initially single decks for the 9/9A so replacing Eclipses?
Initially yes, but in one or two years they’re getting double deck electrics
Does anyone here know the original registrations of the new Scania K340 Levantes?
They are Scania K440EB4/Caetano Levante 2s.
I think these are the plates, not sure though
23651 - XFF 283 - not sure
23652 - 481 FPO - BK15 AHY
23653 - Y24 TRU - not sure
23654 - UHW 661 - BK15 AJY
23655 - WSV 409 - BK15 AKG

Volvodart

Established Member
Unsure of the exact numbers, but there are around 90 54 plate and older double deckers there which will be 18 years old or older by then so they will need replacing.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Initially yes, but in one or two years they’re getting double deck electrics
Perhaps but you were saying that it was more imminent

To be honest, replacements for Somerset could come from a number of places.