• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
First is set to recruit again in Devon for the Cornwall College, Rail Replacement and any other private hire work Marc tweeted, staff needed in Exeter and Plymouth

So we now have Go-ahead looking for staff in Cornwall and First looking for staff in Devon, couldn't guess that would be the case a few months ago

Wonder how many vehicles/drivers they're looking to base and where they are going to base them?

richw

Veteran Member
If Plymouth Citybus coaches now gone defunct, there could be a few drivers spare from there
They were mostly casual Drivers I gather so may not be interested in a less casual role. I’ve spoken to 3 I know, all of which said they were signed on casually at other local operators already

richw

Veteran Member
Wonder how many vehicles/drivers they're looking to base and where they are going to base them?

don’t know details but there’s leaflets on the Cornwall college website with current routes for each site, stoke climsland Is near callington and Bicton is south Devon near exmouth/Sidmouth. There’s also routes for st Austell College from south east Cornwall which might be less dead miles from Plymouth, than summercourt such as the existing 252 (depending where in Plymouth the site will be)
there’s some Truro college services where dead miles would be lower from Plymouth than Summercourt too come to think of it.

MB162435

Established Member
Should be a good few I would think, there is quite a few college routes and with the RR and private hire work it should be enough work for at least 10- 15, maybe even more

TechDan2002

Attachments

• 0CD01F3F-4F39-4F62-B6BF-6B0359EAB89B.png
    0CD01F3F-4F39-4F62-B6BF-6B0359EAB89B.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
  • CF139A10-8BF1-4C53-A73E-A4475A2FFC6A.png
    CF139A10-8BF1-4C53-A73E-A4475A2FFC6A.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 58

JamesC357

33002 used to work out of my local First depot (Hadleigh, Essex) between 2010 and 2014. I’d be tempted if I had the space or money to preserve it, which sadly I don’t

Whiteway215

Established Member
The picture of 33002 also shows a Solo being dismantled by the look of it. Is that an ex First open topper also visible in the background?

richw

Veteran Member
The picture of 33002 also shows a Solo being dismantled by the look of it. Is that an ex First open topper also visible in the background?

Last time I was up there a K reg Oly and a d reg citybus both were having bits removed before eventually scraping I believe

MarkC

If Plymouth Citybus coaches now gone defunct, there could be a few drivers spare from there

Perhaps with Go Ahead closing the Citybus Coach operation, First could look to fill in the gaps with this move? Also with a base in Plymouth could a bus operation of some kind for Eastern half of Cornwall be operated from Plymouth in the future? It's ironic that Citybus pushed First out of Plymouth are now expanding onto First Cornwall turf , now First only on a small way are making their way back into Plymouth again. It will be nice to see First Back again though.

GBM

Perhaps with Go Ahead closing the Citybus Coach operation, First could look to fill in the gaps with this move? Also with a base in Plymouth could a bus operation of some kind for Eastern half of Cornwall be operated from Plymouth in the future? It's ironic that Citybus pushed First out of Plymouth are now expanding onto First Cornwall turf , now First only on a small way are making their way back into Plymouth again. It will be nice to see First Back again though.
Full circle again!

83G/84D

Established Member
Atlantic Coaster branded B9TL 37729 with a defect sticker on windscreen collected from Camborne late this afternoon by Cornwall Commercials wrecker. Guess we won’t see that one in use when open top services resume.

richw

Veteran Member
Atlantic Coaster branded B9TL 37729 with a defect sticker on windscreen collected from Camborne late this afternoon by Cornwall Commercials wrecker. Guess we won’t see that one in use when open top services resume.

It’s defect is it’s not dvsa certified since conversion. It’s awaiting certification following conversion

richw

Veteran Member
The first 3 e400 conversions are also waiting certification I believe was posted on behind the scenes

MB162435

Established Member
The first 3 e400 conversions are also waiting certification I believe was posted on behind the scenes
They certainly didn't hang around with them, quite impressive under current working restrictions, Marc did say they should have a good stint on the A5 this year all going well, the Newquay- Padstow route will be a E400 fan paradise if TfC continue using them on the 56

Is the A4 due to return soon as well, or just the A2/3 for the time being?

richw

Veteran Member
the A4 due to return soon as well, or just the A2/3 for the time being?
Haven’t seen anything about the A4, but I guess it’s a bit of playing by ear at the moment, whether tourists who are allowed back use the buses or not, will probably dictate whether there’s an uplift or not .

MB162435

Established Member
Haven’t seen anything about the A4, but I guess it’s a bit of playing by ear at the moment, whether tourists who are allowed back use the buses or not, will probably dictate whether there’s an uplift or not .
Suspect it is a bit, guess they will see how well the A1-3/5 does with tourists first before they add any more, as they may just use their cars around Cornwall if they don't feel comfortable on public transport yet

baza585

It's certainly moved around a fair bit, as I had it in 2016 & 2017 into HMS Sultan while working out of Portsmouth!
I recall 33001/2 were among the better of the motley assortment of ex London Tridents Hoeford had at the time. Look after 37161-5 please. Fine buses and have been well looked after.

MB162435

Established Member
Kernow timetables are just heading for the printer Marc has just said, Somerset and Atlantic Coaster ones will follow later

richw

Veteran Member
Kernow timetables are just heading for the printer Marc has just said, Somerset and Atlantic Coaster ones will follow later
I imagine the coaster ones most likely to see Changes depending on how tourists behave towards using buses

MB162435

Established Member
I imagine the coaster ones most likely to see Changes depending on how tourists behave towards using buses
I would say so, hopefully the open tops will still be successful but best to see how it goes, no point setting everything in stone now and committing yourself, and for everything to go in the opposite direction

CD

The website is still saying " Only travel if your journey is necessary ". So hopefully that instruction changes by the time the open toppers start operating.

jammy36

The website is still saying " Only travel if your journey is necessary ". So hopefully that instruction changes by the time the open toppers start operating.

Marc was asked on Twitter how FK could square operating open-top services with the government's guidance/instruction to avoid using public transport where possible and to only travel if necessary. The official position according to Marc is that "The open top routes are routes not covered by other service where there is a clear need for provision of service. These are the vehicles that are allocated to the routes and have a good capacity to allow social distancing"