• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Yes, I know. I'm talking about long term, which I think was also the original question that sparked this debate.

I think the question, which we obviously don't know the answer to yet, is whether the MMCs at SPS will be required back in Cornwall long term. With the economics of local bus services now in tatters one way of achieving economies would be to use fully depreciated vehicles.

Given that the current arrangement is so lucrative it can't be the best value for money long term for EDF, who will at some stage want to formalise more permanent arrangements. But then that probably can't be done until we know how long social distancing will last. It could be for ever of course!

At the current time, it makes sense for SPS to have additional modern deckers to enable social distancing AND that FSW get an income (on top of their £900k dividend) and aren’t left with the burden of depreciation.

In the longer term, it’ll be interesting to see what SPS do and whether FSW will require their MMC back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Marc has confirmed that the MMCs will be returning to Cornwall when social distancing is no longer required at Hinckley.
Tridents are for school flow social distance requirements.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Marc has confirmed that the MMCs will be returning to Cornwall when social distancing is no longer required at Hinckley.
Thanks for the update. So beyond the originally intended September, but at some stage, whenever that be (that's the how long is a piece of string question).

Goldfish62

Established Member
Interesting tweet from Marc stating that the 2020 vision has been updated and FK has engaged Flash Forward Consulting in further developments. Good positive stuff in these grim times!

CD

Sorry, I meant the current short term contract for hiring buses to SPS, not the last set of accounts which I've looked at.
I expect that is classified as confidential information.
Social distancing could be in place for years. The site was originally forecast to open in 2025 but its running well behind schedule.

baza585

It is almost certainly more profitable than having buses and drivers sat doing nothing in depots. Beyond that I doubt we will ever know..............

Blackpudding

At least they’re a bit tidier than most 18/19 yr old deckers. Just a little oddity is that they’re sending ones in blue unibus livery rather than those in Urban (albeit with purple fronts from the 3/4)

I for got to mention that Hengrove Dennis Trident 33072 was reported at Bridgwater earlier in the week presumably en route to Cornwall.

Lizard1324

83G/84D

Established Member
The former Mendip Explorer Gemini 32688 now green and light blue has been out on the Tinner route today.

Lizard1324

Marc has shown on twitter the first of 12 geminis to go into there own cornwall college livery.Screenshot_20200807-205351_Twitter.jpg
Image shows new gemini with a green front and white rear

Volvo142

Long weekend in Somerset for me and whilst sitting outside The Esplanade Fish Bar in Burnham on Sea enjoying their finest f&c, I had to do a double take as Atlantic Coaster 33177 passed by!

Vinyls have been removed but the branding is still clearly apparent.

fgwrich

Established Member
Long weekend in Somerset for me and whilst sitting outside The Esplanade Fish Bar in Burnham on Sea enjoying their finest f&c, I had to do a double take as Atlantic Coaster 33177 passed by!

Looking at Flickr I can see what you mean!

While it does look rather smart still, it's a shame that the dents / scrapes do take the shine off it a little!

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member

Seen on Facebook a comment that 3 atlantic coasters were in that route.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Global warming brings the Atlantic to Burnham. luckily the -on-Sea one rather than the Market one in Norfolk.:lol:

carlberry

Established Member
Global warming brings the Atlantic to Burnham. luckily the -on-Sea one rather than the Market one in Norfolk.:lol:
The single deckers on the 21 route have been ex AC ones for a while now, most eventually had the logos changed for route 21, now the deckers have arrived.

fgwrich

Established Member
Forgot about that one - I don't know it, is it, or some of its residents, particularly obnoxious?

Let's just say, it's the a**e end of Slough. Having had a few jobs at the station and dealing with some of the locals, it's not an area I'm in a rush to go back to!

Although, linking this back to the thread, the last time I had to go to Slough for work purposes, the FK / GW Timetable / Bike Bus dart was parked outside. :lol:

Last edited: