• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Goldfish62

Established Member
See my reply before you. You haven’t heard it because it’s completely incorrect

Whether we will keep them on these runs longer term i don’t know, but the long solos are proving perfect fits for at least 3 of the duchy college runs For both loadings and road types used
The information re the E400s came to me right from the very top via a reliable industry source so as far as I'm concerned it's correct unless proven otherwise. Of course that source may have got it wrong, but as it is I have no reason to disbelieve them. As ever I am happy to be corrected!

Re the Solos, using new well-specified vehicles on college runs is not really earning their keep. Beyond the short term it'd make more sense swapping them with cascaded E200s or Darts and getting them back to all-day services somewhere else in the Firstgroup empire. It'd be a great shame to see them go, but as with the current E400s at SPS it makes financial sense.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
The information re the E400s came to me right from the very top via a reliable industry source so as far as I'm concerned it's correct unless proven otherwise. Of course that source may have got it wrong, but as it is I have no reason to disbelieve them. As ever I am happy to be corrected!
That source has got it wrong I am afraid.

MB162435

Established Member
If the SRs do indeed stay long term post Covid, then the Lizard and maybe even some of the AC examples, must be high up the list of candidates for repaints as does look often messy having Lizard buses on Uni services or AC buses on College duties

53256 for example has been on U3s and even the odd U1 for a good while now, and given it hasn't gone to the Lizard since March it doesn't warrant that livery whether it stays or goes

Goldfish62

Established Member
That source has got it wrong I am afraid.
Without further evidence we'll have to just respect each other's views. I'm taking my information source as correct unless proven otherwise and I'm sure you will with yours too.:)

If the SRs do indeed stay long term post Covid, then the Lizard and maybe even some of the AC examples, must be high up the list of candidates for repaints as does look often messy having Lizard buses on Uni services or AC buses on College duties

53256 for example has been on U3s and even the odd U1 for a good while now, and given it hasn't gone to the Lizard since March it doesn't warrant that livery whether it stays or goes
Agreed. People might say that it's a waste repainting buses so soon, but it was FK's choice to go for multiple liveries, and with that comes the penalty of occasional premature repaints.

Lizard1324

I agree but depends on there plan for post covid or 2020 vision if the l1 returns in full, it will then likely use the solos as the deckers are used on college routes, but you might get one decker on it when more e400s return

MB162435

Established Member
Agreed. People might say that it's a waste repainting buses so soon, but it was FK's choice to go for multiple liveries, and with that comes the penalty of occasional premature repaints.
Definitely and they know that, especially with the Lizard buses being tendered services and being introduced not long before the renewal date, so it was a risk they knew they were undertaking and were willing to take

I agree but depends on there plan for post covid or 2020 vision if the l1 returns in full, it will then likely use the solos as the deckers are used on college routes, but you might get one decker on it when more e400s return
I believe the intended 2020 L1 service would of been East Lanc worked anyway, as it fitted in with the College services much like the Covid L1 service does now, so the Lizard SRs have been looking for long term work all year pretty much

83G/84D

Established Member
It has been posted elsewhere that Truronian have a new depot. From the photos it does not seem to be the current site in Truro. I have not seen any details on N&P’s ( notices and proceedings).

Anybody know any more about it? Just curious not going there.

richw

Veteran Member
It has been posted elsewhere that Truronian have a new depot. From the photos it does not seem to be the current site in Truro. I have not seen any details on N&P’s ( notices and proceedings).

Anybody know any more about it? Just curious not going there.

Same location, extension to existing yard.

Attachments

• 8D076DE2-3B08-47C1-A36E-63F6E49E765B.jpeg
    8D076DE2-3B08-47C1-A36E-63F6E49E765B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 57

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

To be fair, there aren't that many liveries. Lizard, AC, Tinner, U Lines, Mousehole and Kernow Green - certainly not in comparison to Bristol!!! Of those, you really only have Lizard being a bit of an issue and I assume that they felt sufficiently confident in their approach to the tender process to invest in new vehicles and a new identity. To be fair, we all probably thought the same!

Definitely and they know that, especially with the Lizard buses being tendered services and being introduced not long before the renewal date, so it was a risk they knew they were undertaking and were willing to take

I believe the intended 2020 L1 service would of been East Lanc worked anyway, as it fitted in with the College services much like the Covid L1 service does now, so the Lizard SRs have been looking for long term work all year pretty much

I don't know if perhaps the L1 would have been decker operated all day. Given the loadings and running costs, might have been the Solos working it off peak anyway.

Certainly, the use of relatively new Solos on Duchy College work would seem to be making the best of the situation.

Lizard1324

Has anyone seen 32761 - wj55crx for a while as I havnt and hasn't been tracked since the 22nd
Also we about the lizard branded buses looking at 32761 in kernow green and 32762 in lizard branding if they wanted to get rid of the lizard brand could they remove the vinyls and put kernow ones over the lizard paint scheme as they don't look to different colours, the lizard singles though do have a much lighter colours.

83G/84D

Established Member
Has anyone seen 32761 - wj55crx for a while as I havnt and hasn't been tracked since the 22nd
Also we about the lizard branded buses looking at 32761 in kernow green and 32762 in lizard branding if they wanted to get rid of the lizard brand could they remove the vinyls and put kernow ones over the lizard paint scheme as they don't look to different colours, the lizard singles though do have a much lighter colours.

I saw it in Helston outstation last week.

I wonder if when the MMCs return around Easter, I wonder if there’s a possibility that some of the green ones will move west due to there not being enough work required for them at Summercourt? Only time will tell.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
I wonder if when the MMCs return around Easter, I wonder if there’s a possibility some of the green ones will move west due to not enough work required for them at Summercourt? Only time will tell.
Unless they're going to be wasted on school and college contract work I don't see any other option.

Lizard1324

Unless they're going to be wasted on school and college contract work I don't see any other option.
I cant see why it cant be both, for instant say they put a a e400mmc on the 251 it goes from the lizard to penzance then at 9 if starts from penzance Station spend a good 7 hours on the a17 as a example then go get the college students and go back to the lizard.
Becuase at the moment I think they are returning to the heslton depot at 9 so alot of wasted miles.
That is what happens with the 250 college route the bus leaves Camborne goes around its college route then goes to pe with college and stops students it then becomes the 9: .... bus and spend the day on the t1 till it back and pick the kids up

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I cant see why it cant be both, for instant say they put a a e400mmc on the 251 it goes from the lizard to penzance then at 9 if starts from penzance Station spend a good 7 hours on the a17 as a example then go get the college students and go back to the lizard.
Becuase at the moment I think they are returning to the heslton depot at 9 so alot of wasted miles.
That is what happens with the 250 college route the bus leaves Camborne goes around its college route then goes to pe with college and stops students it then becomes the 9: .... bus and spend the day on the t1 till it back and pick the kids up
A bus with 251 on the blind arrives back in Pz at c 13.30 from the Helston direction (observed on Marazion By-pass twice, on Chyandour Cliff by station twice too).

Lizard1324

Between 13.20 and 13.30 on each occasion, which suggests a scheduled move to me (all Mon - Fri)
There are lunchtime departures from truro college In the 2** now. Not sure about Other college sites
The 251 only goes throught marizion twice a day but I suspect it goes the bypass back from helston but don't know why it was at 13:30, did you see if today and what bus was it

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The 251 only goes throught marizion twice a day but I suspect it goes the bypass back from helston but don't know why it was at 13:30, did you see if today and what bus was it
My life has changed a bit lately, so I no longer need to drive up the Marazion,By Pass or through Marazion in both directions virtually every lunchtime, therefore future sightings won't be possible I'm afraid. None of the sightings had any passengers aboard, but Penzance was displayed as the destination iirc on every occasion.

Lizard1324

My life has changed a bit lately, so I no longer need to drive up the Marazion,By Pass or through Marazion in both directions virtually every lunchtime, therefore future sightings won't be possible I'm afraid. None of the sightings had any passengers aboard, but Penzance was displayed as the destination iirc on every occasion.
Thats completely fine, was just wondering what bus type you saw as the 251 was a training orange alx400

83G/84D

Established Member
Anyone seen any of the ex Metroline red Enviro 400's lately? 33410 had a few days on the A17 but has seemingly vanished whilst the whereabouts of the other two isn't known.

Secondly open top E400 33426 that was on the A5 recently albeit tracking as 66847 (now in Somerset), anyone seen 33426 as it's not tracking.

henairs

Hi,
For the few Somerset folks on here ex WOE Dart 42969 is now in the depot yard at Taunton whilst E200s
44507/508 are in BOS green livery.
Mike R

Westnat

Anyone seen any of the ex Metroline red Enviro 400's lately? 33410 had a few days on the A17 but has seemingly vanished whilst the whereabouts of the other two isn't known.

Secondly open top E400 33426 that was on the A5 recently albeit tracking as 66847 (now in Somerset), anyone seen 33426 as it's not tracking.
On 09/10/20 33410 LK08 DXV was on the 231 Truro College service and 33429 LK08 DXU was on the 232 Truro College service. The following day 33430 LK08 NVL was at Helston outstation.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Hi,
For the few Somerset folks on here ex WOE Dart 42969 is now in the depot yard at Taunton whilst E200s
44507/508 are in BOS green livery.
Mike R
Thanks Mike. Are the ex FWE Darts replacements or additions I wonder?

TechDan2002

One of them (can’t recall the fleet number) is a regular on the third 231 starting at Penryn.

83G/84D

Established Member
2 in Summercourt yesterday
On 09/10/20 33410 LK08 DXV was on the 231 Truro College service and 33429 LK08 DXU was on the 232 Truro College service. The following day 33430 LK08 NVL was at Helston outstation.
One of them (can’t recall the fleet number) is a regular on the third 231 starting at Penryn.

Thanks everyone for your help. Looks like a trip to Truro college may be required.