• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Goldfish62

Established Member
It’s a leisure service.
They could just not run it.
If you don’t feel it meets your needs you could ask Cornwall Council to spend even more of your Council Tax
It's not a leisure service and never has been. It's a scheduled socially necessary local bus service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
It’s not a ‘socially necessary’ service - it’s a service which Kernow chooses
It’s not a ‘socially necessary’ service - it’s a service which Kernow chooses to provide as part of its commercial operations.
Excuse me, but I've known this service and its predessors all my life. It provides an essential service for isolated parts of the community and if the bulk of it wasn't run commercially it would be supported by the council.

Presumably you're not aware that early and late journeys are supported.

Last edited:

On the Buses

You’re missing the point.
Busaholic’s point was a criticism for Kernow using open tops on the route.

They use them because they run the route principally to meet the leisure demand.

The AC routes are therefore a leisure orientated product.

They do indeed serve a function socially, but that is not the purpose for which Kernow provide them.

Cornwall Council clearly benefits from the provision of the product to meet the social demand. They get it without having to contract it.

cnjb8

Established Member
4.30 p.m. on a dank, dark, cold, windy main street in Penzance and almost the only vehicle is a FK opentopper on the A1 trundling down it, possibly with a couple of passengers huddling near the driver in the lower saloon (it was difficult to see in the gloom.) It got me to thinking, if I had needed to use the A1 this afternoon and that bus had turned up, while I would have been grateful the journey was running, it would be tempered by the thought that the bus company were having a laugh at my expense. Imo it's entirely inappropriate to use these buses in this (non-emergency) way, particularly on a Sunday when plenty of other vehicles should have been available for service. FK should rethink this policy, which cannot do their image any good to the vast majority who are not bus obsessives. There is good reason why opentoppers don't appear out of season in the U.K., bar a few tourist ones in London and even they can be in short supply or non-existent in inclement weather.
They have to use the open toppers were they can. Kernow have a lot of extra work, social distancing to contend with and a good chunk of their MMCs away. So they need every bus that can run. Surely it's a good thing that Kernow runs open toppers on the A1 for the above reasons rather then taking closed tops away from were they are really needed at the moment

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
They have to use the open toppers were they can. Kernow have a lot of extra work, social distancing to contend with and a good chunk of their MMCs away. So they need every bus that can run. Surely it's a good thing that Kernow runs open toppers on the A1 for the above reasons rather then taking closed tops away from were they are really needed at the moment
I guess the OPs point was that this maybe acceptable or understandable at 0800 on a Monday but that at 1630 on a Sunday, surely there’s a closed top or single deck spare in PZ depot?

LAIRA

I guess the OPs point was that this maybe acceptable or understandable at 0800 on a Monday but that at 1630 on a Sunday, surely there’s a closed top or single deck spare in PZ depot?
Probably, but no one local enough to authorise the change of bus.

Goldfish62

Established Member
You’re missing the point.
Busaholic’s point was a criticism for Kernow using open tops on the route.

They use them because they run the route principally to meet the leisure demand.

The AC routes are therefore a leisure orientated product.

They do indeed serve a function socially, but that is not the purpose for which Kernow provide them.

Cornwall Council clearly benefits from the provision of the product to meet the social demand. They get it without having to contract it.
Thanks, I now understand and agree with your point. :)

MB162435

Established Member
Until the last Winter timetable AC SRs use to be used, which I believe a couple are still at PZ Depot along with the Mousehole ones

Open tops are being used all year round to keep them going, like us they don't like not moving for 6 months and are often unreliable after their hibernation, can't see many if any taking advantage of the fresh air section during the Winter, but should give Kernow's engineer's an easier time come the Summer

Goldfish62

Established Member
Until the last Winter timetable AC SRs use to be used, which I believe a couple are still at PZ Depot along with the Mousehole ones

Open tops are being used all year round to keep them going, like us they don't like not moving for 6 months and are often unreliable after their hibernation, can't see many if any taking advantage of the fresh air section during the Winter, but should give Kernow's engineer's an easier time come the Summer
Makes perfectly sense.

embers25

Established Member
Also, partial open tops run year round to Swanage and so they aren't alone. That being said, the A1 is likely a bit more windy as it's more of an exposed route.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Also, partial open tops run year round to Swanage and so they aren't alone. That being said, the A1 is likely a bit more windy as it's more of an exposed route.
Yes, and the A3 is even more exposed. It can often be several degrees cooler on the north coast than just a few miles away in Penzance.

embers25

Established Member
Yes, and the A3 is even more exposed. It can often be several degrees cooler on the north coast than just a few miles away in Penzance.
The temp difference between Porthcurno and Gurnards Head is usually quite substantial in my experience whereas the 50 to Swanage never gets too exposed except for a short bit near Swanage.

CornwallBus

It can be a bit chilly, but the Open Tops do need to be run. They hate being laid up and it frees up closed tops for duplicates, extra services etc. A nice sunny day in November or December will bring out the locals for a trip on A1,A3,A2 regardless of the cold!

richw

Veteran Member
It can be a bit chilly, but the Open Tops do need to be run. They hate being laid up and it frees up closed tops for duplicates, extra services etc. A nice sunny day in November or December will bring out the locals for a trip on A1,A3,A2 regardless of the cold!
I know a few enthusiasts who’d brave the cold too

TechDan2002

I know a few enthusiasts who’d brave the cold too
Already braved the rain. Might have to go on a loop in the cold once lockdown is eased too!

Attachments

• 01B3D8D0-8CD1-4EEC-81D9-729C035A9B33.jpeg
    01B3D8D0-8CD1-4EEC-81D9-729C035A9B33.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • 4D8232B7-F613-4C8E-8D91-52D9E57AC58A.jpeg
    4D8232B7-F613-4C8E-8D91-52D9E57AC58A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39

Goldfish62

Established Member
You're right. There are plenty of (non-enthusiast) locals who love doing the circuit for a day out and they miss it during the Winter.

Reminds me of Western Greyhound 504, Penzance to St Just via Mousehole, Lamorna Cove, Porthcurno, Minnack and Lands End. It used to attract regulars out for a trip.

Wessexbuses

Buses of Somerset 44077 has now been painted into their latest livery, out on route 77 today, next one to be done should be 44079 or 44510

So status of the new E200 repaints
44076 - Completed
44077 - Completed
44078 - Completed
44079 - Not yet completed
44507 - Completed
44508 - Completed
44510 - Not yet competed
44534 - Completed
44535 - Completed
44536 - Completed

*photo credit to Kieran Pittard*

Attachments

• received_400428697770206.jpeg
    received_400428697770206.jpeg
    836.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Buses of Somerset 44077 has now been painted into their latest livery, out on route 77 today, next one to be done should be 44079 or 44510

44076 - Completed
44077 - Completed
44078 - Completed
44507 - Completed
44508 - Completed
44510 - Not yet competed
44534 - ?
44535 - Completed
44536 - Completed

44534 has also been done now I believe as Buses of Somerset said on their behind the scenes page on FB that it was away being painted at the time 536 had just come back.

It’s also been said the Darts will be done too then I expect the others in the fleet will be done around a similar time so it looks to me they’re painting the E200s first.

Last edited:

Wessexbuses

44534 has also been done now I believe as Buses of Somerset said on their behind the scenes page on FB that it was away being painted at the time 536 had just come back.

It’s also been said the Darts will be done too then I expect the others in the fleet will be done around a similar time so it looks to me they’re painting the E200s first.
Ah okay great to hear about the Darts, I've edited it to show 44534 as completed

On the Buses

Ah okay great to hear about the Darts, I've edited it to show 44534 as completed

Two buses go to paint every 8 days. Before the programme started there were 10 E200s in Urban livery. 9 and 10 are away at present and due back on Friday.
If all goes to plan, the two white E200 will then go, then the 5 White Streetlites (with the wheel forward in the first pair)

Two buses go to paint every 8 days. Before the programme started there were 10 E200s in Urban livery. 9 and 10 are away at present and due back on Friday.
If all goes to plan, the two white E200 will then go, then the 5 White Streetlites (with the wheel forward in the first pair)
So the two white E200s and the 5 white Streetlites will go for their paint after 44079 & 510 come back you’re saying then.

fgwrich

Established Member

Reading Buses often use their (full) open topper on Duplicates all year round, it's not unheard of to see it during the day out on the 17 in the winter months!

44076 - Completed
44077 - Completed
44078 - Completed
44507 - Completed
44508 - Completed
44510 - Not yet competed
44534 - Completed
44535 - Completed
44536 - Completed

I have to say it is a very smart livery and much nicer than the two tone / cream band version (I know it's a modified Kernow scheme). I just find the use of Apples as part of the logo a bit odd though.

swifty

Established Member
I have to say it is a very smart livery and much nicer than the two tone / cream band version (I know it's a modified Kernow scheme). I just find the use of Apples as part of the logo a bit odd though.
Would you prefer a pint (or two) of cider? :lol:

Lizard1324

Today I saw 32621 - SF54 TLX which is now in kernow green with vinyls and branding, it even has the proper job cornish sticker and "are you suffering from a hangover" in Cornish
Also saw 32548 - SF54 OSL on the u4 in kernow green and vinyls.
Spend a while in penzance today and didn't see a first corporate paint which was nice to see and looks forward to the next few months when there won't be any.

Last edited: