• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

83G/84D

Established Member
Flashback Friday with two images I took in Camborne five years ago this week:-

DSC02606.JPG
Volvo B7TL 30878 arrives at Camborne on service 14 from St Ives to Truro in February 2016.
DSC02625.JPG

Javelin 21126 (YIL 8826) became part of the First Kernow fleet from Webbers of Bodmin and was previously registered R884 HEJ. During a rare visit it is seen in Camborne February 2016.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Flashback Friday with two images I took in Camborne five years ago this week:-

View attachment 90999View attachment 91001

Yeah, you wouldn't find anything like 30878 in service nowadays.... oh, hang on :lol: In all seriousness, needs must and all that with the redeployment of those vehicles from training duties.

It actually looked in not bad condition though the passengers would be treated to rather an austere ride with those seats! A world away from the e400mmcs.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not sure why Madron would need a separate number from Pendeen, unless of course either the current Pendeens avoided Madron (again) or the current Madron shorts were extended to Pendeen and St Just via currently unserved roads north of Madron (again, after a long absence). But wouldn't the number 10 be more apposite? Absolutely no speculation here: I keep my fantasies to myself!
"On the Buses" has stated that the A17 will become 17/18/19. I couldn't think of a difference split. Any ideas?

The current Pendeens avoid Madron anyway, apart from Sundays.

There's already a 10 elsewhere in Cornwall.

fgwrich

Established Member
Yeah, you wouldn't find anything like 30878 in service nowadays.... oh, hang on :lol: In all seriousness, needs must and all that with the redeployment of those vehicles from training duties.

It actually looked in not bad condition though the passengers would be treated to rather an austere ride with those seats! A world away from the e400mmcs.
Your'e telling me. I did Truro to Newquay on one of those a few years ago, not the most comfortable (or fastest) journey in the world!

cnjb8

Established Member
On #13751, @On the Buses stated that the two 53 plate Geminis were for a specific service (which I think is some Fal River duty with a tight turn somewhere near Malpas - it was mentioned some weeks ago) and that future cascades would be newer. I know it's an 04 plate rather than a 53 but sounds like the two short ones are exceptions and other cascades will be longer and newer.
Bath still has some former Glasgow Geminis (SF54s), can't remember the fleetnumbers but similar examples are already here

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Bath still has some former Glasgow Geminis (SF54s), can't remember the fleetnumbers but similar examples are already here
Bath had 32543-5. There were also 32551 and 32670 in Bristol as well as late model 07 plates 37182/4/5 and the last of the native B7TL Geminis, 37003, in its South Glos Lynx colours. Think all of those are still about.

Of the 54/55 plates, whilst a number did obviously head to Kernow, a number also headed the other way to First Essex. When life was a little simpler in the summer, I ended up travelling on two of the Bath examples; not bad buses for their age and whilst they need a bit of an internal spruce, they weren't that bad.

83G/84D

Established Member
Gemini 37019 is in Camborne in base Dartmoor Explorer colours. No vinyls / branding applied as far as I could tell.

83G/84D

Established Member
Only reason I asked was that other Gemini's such as the generic green one's, seem to be vinyled there. Not sure where the "Partner" one's and the Atlantic Coaster Volvo's were done.

On the Buses

Only reason I asked was that other Gemini's such as the generic green one's, seem to be vinyled there. Not sure where the "Partner" one's and the Atlantic Coaster Volvo's were done.
Depends on how much space is available, the weather, temperature, maximum height required...

fgwrich

Established Member
Out of interest, what is 37161 up to these days? I quite like the former Southsea Park and Ride livery - though I know with lockdown restrictions I'm unlikely to see it in that scheme again.

On the Buses

Out of interest, what is 37161 up to these days? I quite like the former Southsea Park and Ride livery - though I know with lockdown restrictions I'm unlikely to see it in that scheme again.
It's one of batch of vehicles about gain our new Cornwall DayTripper brand for the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bazer

Still in its Portsmouth P&R livery at present.

Attachments

• IMG_20210129_172626.jpg
    IMG_20210129_172626.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 70

jammy36

I don't think I've seen it posted here, but Alex Carter has announced he is stepping down (retiring) from his role as Managing Director (MD) for First South West (FSW) at the end of April - albeit still continuing his role at Somerset Passenger Solutions.

Simon Goff (operations manager First Hampshire, Dorset and Berkshire) will be acting as interim FSW MD, with a handover period in March/April.

The transformation of FSW from "company basket case" to the operation we see today under Alex's stewardship has been remarkable and is a testament to him and his team. Big shoes for the new MD to step into, but also an excellent position to build upon.

GBM

I don't think I've seen it posted here, but Alex Carter has announced he is stepping down (retiring) from his role as Managing Director (MD) for First South West (FSW) at the end of April - albeit still continuing his role at Somerset Passenger Solutions.

Simon Goff (operations manager First Hampshire, Dorset and Berkshire) will be acting as interim FSW MD, with a handover period in March/April.

The transformation of FSW from "company basket case" to the operation we see today under Alex's stewardship has been remarkable and is a testament to him and his team. Big shoes for the new MD to step into, but also an excellent position to build upon.
Alex has been 'one of a kind'. Not only an MD, but one who knows the problems, but most importantly listens to staff and their concerns.
There have been MD's who offer a listening service but only as a token gesture.
Alex will listen, and reply as why something can't be done; or reply with a possibly - 'will keep you advised' and then does so.
Very sad to see him go

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Indeed, that transformation has indeed been extremely impressive. When Alex and co took over, you had an operation that was just about alive having had years of underinvestment, being undermined by the ill-fated Ugobus incursion in Plymouth and with the complacency that enabled Western Greyhound to grow and prosper. They've done a stellar job in removing the Plymouth millstone, exploiting the growing weakness of WG (and they were apparent even before their depot fires) and having stabilised the business, have secured investment on an almost unimaginable scale.

Similarly, they've managed to stabilise Buses of Somerset having had to get rid of Webberbus which was much more damaging than the competition in Cornwall. I'd still say that's a work in progress but again, that business is in a better than it was in 2013.

Big shoes indeed and I hope that the momentum is maintained, as well as hoping AC has a very well earned and happy semi retirement.

83G/84D

Established Member
Noted in camborne in recent days are (partial) open top E400's LK58 KHL/P which are in base Atlantic Coaster colours.

Lizard1324

With the news of First trialing the new Arrival buses from August (Link here: https://cbwmagazine.com/first-bus-to-trial-new-arrival-bus/ )
I was wondering maybe they will be trialed in Cornwall for a few routes, but more likely the Truro P+R.
Especially as the oldest citaros are getting a lot older now.

Arrival’s new zero-emission bus is to undergo route trials in the UK from autumn this year

Arrival, the company creating electric vehicles using ‘radical’ new technologies, announced on Monday 22 that it will begin trials of its zero-emission Bus with First Bus. The trials, which will see Arrival buses navigating existing First Bus routes in the UK, will begin this autumn.

The new partnership comes just seven months after First Bus announced its commitment to purchase no diesel buses after 2022 and to operate a fully zero-emission fleet by 2035.

First Bus already plays a leading role in the operation of low or zero-emission vehicles, with electric buses in Leeds, Glasgow, the country’s biggest electric Park & Ride fleet in York and a 99-strong fleet of biomethane buses in Bristol.

Last month, the company also introduced the world’s first hydrogen-powered double-decker fleet in Aberdeen.

Arrival unveiled its electric bus last June, aiming to create a ‘new and improved public transportation experience’ for all users – from the drivers and passengers to the engineers, cleaners and fleet owners – and reducing operating costs for operators, making the transition to electric vehicles more economically viable.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

• If referring to an external source you should put the text in QUOTE tags, provide details of the source and make a relevant comment to promote discussion.

carlberry

Established Member
With the news of First trialing the new Arrival buses from August (Link here: https://cbwmagazine.com/first-bus-to-trial-new-arrival-bus/ )
I was wondering maybe they will be trialed in Cornwall for a few routes, but more likely the Truro P+R.
Especially as the oldest citaros are getting a lot older now.
The article says Autumn however it would make more sense to trial it alongside existing electric vehicles without Cornwall cc have said they want to invest in the charging infrastructure. I'm fairly sure Bristol has only got 78 biomethane vehicles as well!

83G/84D

Established Member
Optare Solo SR 53252 is on the A17 today in it's Lizard scheme but I had to look twice as something looked different about it. After waiting for it to return later it turns out that the word Lizard is missing from one side but the actual Lizard remains. Maybe it's had a replacement bodyside panel fitted but I wasn't able to tell.
If anyone sees it take a look amidships on the drivers side.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The article says Autumn however it would make more sense to trial it alongside existing electric vehicles without Cornwall cc have said they want to invest in the charging infrastructure. I'm fairly sure Bristol has only got 78 biomethane vehicles as well!
Yes on both counts.

Logically, it would make sense to trial them against other electric vehicles as well as using the charging infrastructure so they can compare performance.

And yes, First do have 78 bio methane vehicles; they're including the 21 that operate on behalf of First from CT Plus?

carlberry

Established Member
Yes on both counts.

Logically, it would make sense to trial them against other electric vehicles as well as using the charging infrastructure so they can compare performance.

And yes, First do have 78 bio methane vehicles; they're including the 21 that operate on behalf of First from CT Plus?
Ah, that makes sense; I was wondering if they'd included the past ones however there were only a few from memory!