• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FIRST Southampton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GearJammer

Ive only a passing interest in buses so forgive me if this is old news or mentioned elsewhere.....

I was driving through Bevois Valley last week and noticed a new bus garage/depot, how long has it been there and is this a replacement for the depot/garage that was/is up the road at Portswood?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
it is, I believe, yes. I suppose that's the new head office. It's a rather romantic name, at any rate, even if it doesn't live up to that image.

Oracle

Established Member
The original Southampton Corporation Portswood garage site in Shirley is a fitness gym and Royal Mail drlivery office. Its replacement in Portswood is now a supermarket, and the Mount Pleasant depot is its successor. I have just noticed a new livery for First in Southampton.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I have just noticed a new livery for First in Southampton.

Yes, the new First corporate livery - which is supposed to place more focus on local identities. I'm guessing the network changes in Southampton provided a good opportunity to launch it there.

johnnychips

Established Member
it is, I believe, yes. I suppose that's the new head office. It's a rather romantic name, at any rate, even if it doesn't live up to that image.

Bevois is pronounced BEE-vuss. The Bevois Town pub was my local pub when I was at uni, don't know if it's still there. Anyone pronouncing it like it should be in French (Buh-VWA) had mick taken remorselessly by students and locals alike.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Ive only a passing interest in buses so forgive me if this is old news or mentioned elsewhere.....

I was driving through Bevois Valley last week and noticed a new bus garage/depot, how long has it been there and is this a replacement for the depot/garage that was/is up the road at Portswood?

I think it's been in use for at least a year, maybe even getting on for two years - I remember it being almost finished in early 2010, but not sure when they moved in.

Pyromaniac

The Southampton depot has been in use since the 2010 August bank holiday weekend. Portswood closed officially as a depot in the early hours of Sunday 29th August 2010 with the demolition crews moving in a couple of months later. I also heard that changing the legal letters on approx 300 buses wasn't a fun job ;) .

I would suggest a visit to the local FHD Unofficial site dedicated to everything First Hanpshire and Dorset (and South Somerset), and indeed pictures of the old Portswood and new Southampton depot can be found in this thread. Registration may be required, I have no idea as I am a member :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.