• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Stagecoach non-London low floor decker preserved

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp4712

Stagecoach Manchester have donated their 17612 (T612MNF) to the Museum of Transport. It was Stagecoach's first Dennis Trident, and its first low floor double decker, outside London. https://www.facebook.com/motgm/posts/3507661455949403

The Museum has published a press release that says:

First of the low makes return journey

Back in 1999, the Museum of Transport Greater Manchester held an ‘accessible transport’ event with help and displays to enable less-mobile visitors to sample the preserved buses whose high floors and steep steps made them hard to experience. And to highlight the progress being made, Stagecoach Manchester brought along the very first of its new generation of something called a ‘low floor’ double deck bus with no entrance steps and easier access. It was their number 612, a Dennis Trident with Alexander body, brand new and yet to enter service.

Fast forward to 2021 and that very same bus is back in the Museum again – as a preserved exhibit, kindly donated and delivered by Stagecoach Manchester to represent the new generation of buses with better accessibility. Now 17612 and after use as a driver trainer, at the age of 22 years it enters the growing ranks of preserved buses from the turn of the century and in due source it’ll be returned to the iconic ‘Starsky & Hutch’ stripes livery.
Museum Chairman Dennis Talbot said the Museum is delighted with the donation: “we’re very grateful to our friends at Stagecoach for donating such a historic vehicle. Outside London we believe it was Stagecoach’s first low-floor double decker, and their first Dennis Trident, to enter service. And the fact that it was displayed in the museum when it was brand new just brings everything full circle.”

612 has already been delivered to the Museum after safety and maintenance checks by Stagecoach, and in due course it’ll be returned to its original livery. Dennis commented: “bus preservation doesn’t stop in 1969, or 1986 – each generation has its own memories and we must move along with that. This is our second 1990s acquisition and we can really say we cover over a century of bus transport, from an 1890 horse bus to a 1999 Stagecoach. We’re really looking forward again to opening our doors and welcoming visitors to share in the amazing collection we have here.”

Attachments

• 990476 03-06-1999 Pa.jpg
    990476 03-06-1999 Pa.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_8160.jpg
    IMG_8160.jpg
    1,006.7 KB · Views: 148
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scosutsut

Good move, especially to paint it back to stripes, how much better does that look than beachball on a ALX400!

Mikey C

Established Member
Good news, that's an amazing museum

Confusing that the Museum Chairman is called Dennis, at first I thought the quote from him was from someone at Dennis/ADL :D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Good to hear that.

We shouldn't however forget that it wasn't Stagecoach that were first to bring low-floor buses into service in Manchester - it was in fact R. Bullock on the 42 and/or 157 by 1998 with Optare Spectras, with a livery proudly proclaiming they were first. I don't think Stagecoach were far behind, though.

This vehicle was one of the originals:
R_Bullock_bus_R291_CVM_DAF_DB250_Optare_Spectra_in_Manchester_25_July_2008.jpg

R Bullock R291 CVM on route 157 at Piccadilly Gardens - Wikimedia Commons/David Ingham

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
Good to hear that.

We shouldn't however forget that it wasn't Stagecoach that were first to bring low-floor buses into service in Manchester - it was in fact R. Bullock on the 42 and/or 157 by 1998 with Optare Spectras, with a livery proudly proclaiming they were first. I don't think Stagecoach were far behind, though.

Is that the same company as the current Bullock's, based in Cheadle?

lincman

Good to hear that.

Stagecoach Ribble brought a batch of 5 Dennis Berkof single deck low floor buses to the M10 service in I think 1996

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Last edited:

lincman

I stand corrected...perhaps Bullocks had the first low floor double decker, then? It definitely had a proud proclamation like that on the back.

50298598801_b0d6615a67.jpg

Low floor bus on the M10
I certainly would not dis agree with that, Bullocks were an extremely well run progressive company who were at the forefront of post de regulation services in south Manchester

Mikey C

Established Member
I stand corrected...perhaps Bullocks had the first low floor double decker, then? It definitely had a proud proclamation like that on the back.

Low floor bus on the M10
That would make sense in terms of the timeframe as there was a big gap between the first low floor buses appearing and the first low floor double decker entering service

London for example had its first trial low floor single deckers delivered at the end of 1993 and the Dart SLF arrived in 1996 to dominate the market, so there would have been low floor single deckers all over the country before the first low floor double deckers entered service in 1998

swifty

Established Member
Good to hear that.

Does anyone know the story behind that TWM inspired livery, presumably it was delivered like that?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does anyone know the story behind that TWM inspired livery, presumably it was delivered like that?

Did TWM use that shape of livery back in 1998? So far as I know it's just Bullocks' livery, it's not an oddity like those Finglands B10Ms which had Stagecoach seat covers and a different coloured version of toothpaste because they were Stagecoach spec as they had been purchased from Stagecoach. Possibly I suppose the same designer? Though diagonal stripes were "in vogue" on buses in the 90s anyway.

swifty

Established Member
Did TWM use that shape of livery back in 1998? So far as I know it's just Bullocks' livery, it's not an oddity like those Finglands B10Ms which had Stagecoach seat covers and a different coloured version of toothpaste because they were Stagecoach spec as they had been purchased from Stagecoach. Possibly I suppose the same designer? Though diagonal stripes were "in vogue" on buses in the 90s anyway.
R1 NEG wore the same livery when new, the Gold of Bullocks replaced by the blue of TWM.

It proudly shows its ‘Britain’s First low floor double decker’ vinyls, but was beaten into service by Abus Spectra R222 AJP.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Interesting, so it did (not my photo):

qvb7BHVIdKradp8ccWRmyPxz3yaletQj-n52itNa7bVjrb5hyIqBdVh_CN3WOPRduo90W6OUgD9lyAH_RCl9IHlTP1nUxAecKAbFkpa8ZydiZy67

TWM Optare Spectra R1 NEG - Wythall Transport Museum

"I'll have that one, please", a bit like the Thai "350s" perhaps? Bullocks is a family business, so its purchase will have been more like that than a formal tender.

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
Interesting, so it did (not my photo):
"I'll have that one, please", a bit like the Thai "350s" perhaps? Bullocks is a family business, so its purchase will have been more like that than a formal tender.
I wonder if they did the thing that local firms sometimes do of making an arrangement to tag a couple of vehicles onto a big order from a PTE or a larger company.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Ahem! Could we have captions for each photograph and a credit to the photographer when it's not your own work? Thank you :)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ahem! Could we have captions for each photograph and a credit to the photographer when it's not your own work? Thank you :)

Fixed, apologies.

It proudly shows its ‘Britain’s First low floor double decker’ vinyls, but was beaten into service by Abus Spectra R222 AJP.

Though that one was "accessable", so that's OK :D Must have been riling to be beaten by what looks like one of "those" independents :)

48727786887_90b63c06e8_c_d.jpg

Accessable (!) Optare Spectra R222 AJP in Brislington, Richard Simons

Last edited:

DunsBus

Established Member
Fixed, apologies.

Though that one was "accessable", so that's OK :D Must have been riling to be beaten by what looks like one of "those" independents :)

48727786887_90b63c06e8_c_d.jpg

Accessable (!) Optare Spectra R222 AJP in Brislington, Richard Simons
I recall that Abus got wind about the Nat-Ex pair (one for TWM and the other for Travel Dundee), they had just picked up R222AJP and worked through the night to get it ready, beating the Nat-Ex ones into service by a few hours.
It would have been a nailed-on cert for preservation had it not succumbed to fire a few years ago.

Established Member
Excellent news.

My partner's father drove 612 when it was brand new, a real shame he's no longer here to see it's survived into preservation.

hst43102

Out of interest when was it retired from Stagecoach?
I think it was used as a driver training vehicle until recently.

This is great news, I used to see 17613 around Northampton a lot. Does anyone know what happened to it?

route101

Established Member
I think it was used as a driver training vehicle until recently.

This is great news, I used to see 17613 around Northampton a lot. Does anyone know what happened to it?

Stagecoach still use ALX400s but are 53 to 06 plates.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Wonderful news. A worthy addition to a fantastic collection & will look smashing back in Stripes. Also, this quote from Mr. Talbot couldn't be more true:

"bus preservation doesn’t stop in 1969, or 1986 – each generation has its own memories and we must move along with that."

Nail -> head. Couldn't have cut to the heart of the matter any more succinctly than that. The attuitde I've seen some people display in regards to low-floor vehicles entering preservation honestly makes me wonder how many prospective owners are put off. Some sneery, vindictive and sometimes outright dismissive rubbish out there in this aveune of this particular hobby which both depresses and irritates me. Am glad the tide is turning and on the whole attitudes are changing however.

Good move, especially to paint it back to stripes, how much better does that look than beachball on a ALX400!
My sentiments exactly. Stripes just sat so well on nearly everything it was applied to, from Routemasters & Lodekkas to PSes, Merc breadvans & Olympians through to ALX400-bodied Tridents, ALX300-bodied MANs & ALX200-bodied Darts. Hands down my favorite livery from the Stagecoach stable.

duncombec

Nail -> head. Couldn't have cut to the heart of the matter any more succinctly than that. The attuitde I've seen some people display in regards to low-floor vehicles entering preservation honestly makes me wonder how many prospective owners are put off. Some sneery, vindictive and sometimes outright dismissive rubbish out there in this aveune of this particular hobby which both depresses and irritates me. Am glad the tide is turning and on the whole attitudes are changing however.
Indeed, we had some comments about this in the "enthusiast attitude" thread back in the summer. If someone has the money available to buy and look after a vehicle or their choice, then it's entirely their choice what they buy! Whilst it can seem slightly odd to see a vehicle in Stagecoach stripes in preservation, it's worth remembering how old it is already - getting on for 22 years old - so actually isn't that recent at all.

It is good to see such a vehicle being preserved, and I look forward to seeing it when going to Manchester, or museums in general for that matter, is a "thing" again.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I recall that Abus got wind about the Nat-Ex pair (one for TWM and the other for Travel Dundee), they had just picked up R222AJP and worked through the night to get it ready, beating the Nat-Ex ones into service by a few hours.
It would have been a nailed-on cert for preservation had it not succumbed to fire a few years ago.
I read elsewhere that it wasn't even beaten by a few hours, but just under one hour!

swifty

Established Member
I read elsewhere that it wasn't even beaten by a few hours, but just under one hour!
Without veering off topic too much.... Abus picked up theirs the day before from Hughes DAF. A chance conversation revealed Nat Ex were launching their Spectra at mid day the following day. Alan got back to Bristol, fitted a ticket machine, prepped it for service and launched it on the first 349 at 0650 the following day.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Stagecoach Manchester have donated their 17612 (T612MNF) to the Museum of Transport. It was Stagecoach's first Dennis Trident, and its first low floor double decker, outside London. https://www.facebook.com/motgm/posts/3507661455949403
You'd think that Perth (being Souters home turf) would get all the new toys, but it's always Manchester for some reason. They were among the first to get both generations of the Enviro 400 too.

mbonwick

Established Member
You'd think that Perth (being Souters home turf) would get all the new toys, but it's always Manchester for some reason. They were among the first to get both generations of the Enviro 400 too.
Because historically Manchester has made the best margins, though that's been pegged back in recent times with all the negative effects of the franchising uncertainty.
Nothing surprising or unusual there.

Status
Not open for further replies.