• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First TPE's Nova brand for their new trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope it doesn't go as far as the Nova 5. That crashed and killed everyone on board except a service droid.

Anyone who gets that reference wins a cookie.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Hope it doesn't go as far as the Nova 5. That crashed and killed everyone on board except a service droid.

Droid by the name of Kryten, I assume?

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Typing in 'nova meaning' on Google gets the following result:
A star showing a sudden large increase in brightness and then slowly returning to its original state over a few months.
We can only hope that it doesn't return to the original state after a couple of months ;)

Established Member
Reminds me that it was sold as the Opel Corsa on the continent. In Spanish no va means - "doesn't go"!

I understood that the issue was the other way round. It was thought the car should be renamed "Nova" because under the original name it would become known as "Coarser". They decided not to worry when the next version came out.

class387

Established Member
OK, after seeing all of this I take back what I've said. I still like the design but they obviously haven't thought this 'Nova' name through.

Andyh82

Established Member
I’m surprised they haven’t involved the class 185s as well, it’s not as if they are ancient old trains they are ashamed of, in their refurbished state they are probably just as good as the new trains, albeit a bit small.

Mikey C

Established Member

Only a complete smeghead would call a train Nova 5!

Non Multi

I’m surprised they haven’t involved the class 185s as well, it’s not as if they are ancient old trains they are ashamed of, in their refurbished state they are probably just as good as the new trains, albeit a bit small.
Anyone want an old Nova? ;)

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

Could it be that the 185 Pennines be regarded as a Nova Zero or a Nova Pennine? Either way lets hope that these new units aren't driven in the same manner as the Vauxhall Nova, I recall once in the early 90's where some 25 year old (they looked it) thought it was a good idea to perform handbrake turns in a car park in Southport.

Kite159

Veteran Member
My first thought on hearing the name "Nova"...

Vauxhall%20Nova%20(5).jpg

Similar to me when hearing the name "Nova"

I wonder how many times that particular Nova got stolen (as they were so easy to hot-wire) :lol:

Non Multi

Someone please vinyl wrap a 'Max Powered' Vauxhall Nova in the TPE livery for the press launch! :lol:

xotGD

Established Member
Someone please vinyl wrap a 'Max Powered' Vauxhall Nova in the TPE livery for the press launch! :lol:
Or perhaps TPE will issue all their drivers with Burberry caps when they start driving the Novas?

Non Multi

Or perhaps TPE will issue all their drivers with Burberry caps when they start driving the Novas?
The BTP will be chasing them down in their police 'Growler' like in the old telly advert.
(Not) Coming soon to Pick TV: RAIL ROAD WARS

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Note that old TPE referred to them as 'Pennine' trains when they were first introduced but the name didn't stick, enthusiasts and rail workers just called them Desiros, while regular passengers just called them 'too small.'
Nicknames decided by TOC marketing departments rarely pass the smell test, and this one is no exception...

I wonder if this came out of the same branding consultancy as this hilarious abomination:
leeds-united-graphic-design-dezeen-list-hero-852x480.jpg

:lol:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Reminds me that it was sold as the Opel Corsa on the continent. In Spanish no va means - "doesn't go"!

Nova is Latin for New, and the term is global in astronomy. Plural is usually Novae.
There is also the term Supernova available for fancier versions of the trains.

fowler9

Established Member
I think Nova is a pretty good name despite the odd connotations since they are coming from Spain. Beats the hell out of Azuma which just sounds like A Zoomer in most accents on our fair isle.

tbtc

Veteran Member
That branding looks a thousand times better on the 397 and 802s than it does on the 185s!

Maybe the 185s could be rebranded the Nova2000 - a name that suggests something that would have looked futuristic twenty years ago?

(of course, there'll be some *hilarious* Enthusiast nicknames for the new trains - from the wags who brought you "Vommiters" and various other schoolyard insults for other new trains)

WatcherZero

Established Member
Im more impressed by the new CIS screens in the mag, the amount of information they contain is stunning.

Rail Blues

I really can't see this catching on, non enthusiasts won't be stood there thinking '' gosh my Nova 3 is running late" , enthusiasts will refer to them by their class or force a nickname on them based on their appearance or sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.