• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Trenitalia (Avanti!) WCML branding, naming and livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Might look ok.

A First Group and Trenitalia FS Group Company.

20191127_193359.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fincra5

Established Member
Avanti can order the same Uniform as GWR and be sound. Dark Green with a white shirt.

Energy

Established Member
In the video they called First a 'world class operator', I think lots would disagree although they have taken the management from virgin which are rather good

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Reminder that this thread is for branding and livery discussion. Wider issues relating to the franchise should use the existing thread which can be found here :)

pt_mad

Established Member
I notice the 'wider' yellow front used in the first 390 livery didn't make a return. Stuck to the more narrow yellow, probably not surprising given the repaint.

pt_mad

Established Member
image.jpg

image.jpg

From https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/...-and-blackpool-to-be-called-avanti-1-10124885

Running in signs go black with white text a la London Midland while LNR go white with black text :D. Looks like the route probably going to have green branding then between the two operators.

py_megapixel

Established Member
It's supposed to sound fast and forward-thinking, but the way they've done the brand makes me think of a boring office-based company. Avanti would perfectly suit an insurance broker, or some kind of cloud technology company.

I do like the blue, however, although the lopsided orange triangle is a bit bizarre. It's just a pity that they almost certainly won't paint the whole train blue, and will instead leave the carriages primarily in ugly plain white.

But I'm no expert in such things. I hope that the next few years will be full of improvements for this franchise. That is, after all, what matters.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
The triangle was supposedly representing the route in the video (with the hypotenuse following the Euston - Glasgow route).

I'm not sure how the side across the Irish Sea from Holyhead to Glasgow works though!

Established Member
The triangle was supposedly representing the route in the video (with the hypotenuse following the Euston - Glasgow route).

I'm not sure how the side across the Irish Sea from Holyhead to Glasgow works though!

I take the other two sides to be London to Birmingham and Birmingham to Scotland. with a bit of poetic licence on the last section.

js1000

It's supposed to sound fast and forward-thinking, but the way they've done the brand makes me think of a boring office-based company. Avanti would perfectly suit an insurance broker, or some kind of cloud technology company.

I do like the blue, however, although the lopsided orange triangle is a bit bizarre. It's just a pity that they almost certainly won't paint the whole train blue, and will instead leave the carriages primarily in ugly plain white.

But I'm no expert in such things. I hope that the next few years will be full of improvements for this franchise. That is, after all, what matters.
EDIT.

devonexpress

It looks horrible, and sounds horrible too, if someone said to me "Avanti West Coast" i'd think more of a building society or clothing store, not a railway operator. What happened to First group going back to using proper railway brand names. Even First West Coast would have been better.

modernrail

Bearing in mind this is the route more than any other where you can find yourself with a very hefty bill for accidentally getting on the wrong company's train it is not exactly passenger friendly to have a similar colour livery to the other operator.

Then again this is First, it is probably in their business plan to cause such confusion and rake in the resulting on-board premium fares.

Other than that, they are also causing pointless confusion with the branding of LNER's trains and as for the livery....I will just say these things are subjective and that triangle is dreadful.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Bearing in mind this is the route more than any other where you can find yourself with a very hefty bill for accidentally getting on the wrong company's train it is not exactly passenger friendly to have a similar colour livery to the other operator.

Then again this is First, it is probably in their business plan to cause such confusion and rake in the resulting on-board premium fares.

Other than that, they are also causing pointless confusion with the branding of LNER's trains and as for the livery....I will just say these things are subjective and that triangle is dreadful.

This sort of post is so frustrating and weird, you've decided to judge and sentence First from not even day one. You have also condemned passengers for being confused by the colour of a train. You have no idea what the business plan of First is, and to suggest they deliberately mislead passengers is potentially libellous.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I take the other two sides to be London to Birmingham and Birmingham to Scotland. with a bit of poetic licence on the last section.

No, London - Scotland and London - Holyhead.

I guess the other side of the triangle will run across a line built on Boris's new bridge to Ireland via the Isle of Man?

Untitled (2).png

bnm

Established Member
It looks horrible, and sounds horrible too, if someone said to me "Avanti West Coast" i'd think more of a building society or clothing store, not a railway operator. What happened to First group going back to using proper railway brand names. Even First West Coast would have been better.

What do you consider 'proper railway brand names?'

First Group have only brought back one historic name.

devonexpress

What do you consider 'proper railway brand names?'

First Group have only brought back one historic name.
Two.

Great Western Railway
South Western Railway being shorter, modern version for London South Western Railway

brick60000

I think the front of the train looks quite smart, and even the logo doesn’t look too bad there.

The dark green/grey/orange combination works really well too I think.

I can’t stand the A on it’s own with the triangle though! Would look far better with the A superimposed over and larger than the triangle in my opinion, in a similar style to how they’ve done the Twitter graphics. Equally, think the livery would look far classier if the whole train was in the grey/green colours.

Energy

Established Member
Front looks strange though, maybe I'm just too used to the virgin shield breaking up the front :P
Agreed, I think a shield shaped in the Avanti triangle could look good, the logo there looks strange with the text.

superalbs

Established Member
I think the front of the train looks quite smart, and even the logo doesn’t look too bad there.

The dark green/grey/orange combination works really well too I think.

I can’t stand the A on it’s own with the triangle though! Would look far better with the A superimposed over and larger than the triangle in my opinion, in a similar style to how they’ve done the Twitter graphics. Equally, think the livery would look far classier if the whole train was in the grey/green colours.
It's just going to be confused as Coach A. How can people not see this coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.