• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Trenitalia (Avanti!) WCML branding, naming and livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
I’m looking forward to seeing the livery’s start rolling out, any idea when I can expect to see them
There'll be one train reliveried for the launch special which departs London Euston at 10:33 on Monday morning:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/S03423/2019-12-09/detailed
I went for a job with Virgin Trains at their talent academy in Crewe earlier this year and there is a retired locomotive decorated in the Virgin colours that sits behind the main building for visitors to enter. I'm wondering whether Avanti will take over this site and what will become of this cherished possession?
I can't remember there being a loco there: There's two undamaged Pendolino vehicles from 390033 "City of Glasgow" which was involved in the Grayrigg derailment that are now used for staff training, I didn't think they were usually accessible.

I've not heard whether Avanti are retaining the same training facilities, though it would seem a shame to lose a dedicated facility like that. I wonder if those two Pendo vehicles are, in fact, owned by Virgin themselves since being written off?

Last edited:

gka472l

Very sad day for the railway industry considering Virgin Trains have been around for so long. I live near Wigan and the town's multiplex cinema which was built in 1996 was originally run by Virgin when it first opened (it has been a few different names over the last two decades). They sold Virgin branded cola too back then! (is this no longer available?) I also fondly remember the Virgin Megastores in Liverpool and Manchester where I regularly bought my CDs and they too have sadly long gone - I remember they were taken over by another company who's name began with 'Z' but they didn't last too long.

The Virgin Train site is still up and running but I have a feeling it will be taken down imminently.

I went for a job with Virgin Trains at their talent academy in Crewe earlier this year and there is a retired locomotive decorated in the Virgin colours that sits behind the main building for visitors to enter. I'm wondering whether Avanti will take over this site and what will become of this cherished possession?

CJ

That's two of the cars from the disbanded 390033 behind the 'talent academy' which are used for staff training (this was the set involved in the derailment at Grayrigg back in 2007)

thesjd

There'll be one train reliveried for the launch special which departs London Euston at 10:33 on Monday morning:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/S03423/2019-12-09/detailed

I can't remember there being a loco there: There's two undamaged Pendolino vehicles from 390033 "City of Glasgow" which was involved in the Grayrigg derailment that are now used for staff training, I didn't think they were usually accessible.

I've not heard whether Avanti are retaining the same training facilities, though it would seem a shame to lose a dedicated facility like that. I wonder if those two Pendo vehicles are, in fact, owned by Virgin themselves since being written off?

The Talent Academy in Crewe is staying as they have Thomas Cook hiring roadshows there next week. In fact, they are opening more training centres around the AWC route in the future. Not sure whats happening with the Pendolino set currently in the car park although I believe a dialogue has opened up between the two parties on what to do with it next. Trying to find a balance of historic preservation and practicality...

RealTrains07

Established Member
Bit unnecessary for avanti branding to pop up now while virgin are still running?!? Cant that be done tomorrow??

Clip

Established Member
Bit unnecessary for avanti branding to pop up now while virgin are still running?!? Cant that be done tomorrow??

Whats the issue then? It takes time and effort to do all this stuff so whats wrong with it being done now?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Two trains hopefully, both departing Euston Monday morning. One will be a service train to Manchester and will also visit Liverpool later in the day.
Ah, thought I'd heard something about a second train, but wasn't sure.

Makes me think back to the launch of the Virgin West Coast franchise in March 1997, with 90002 repainted and named "Mission: Impossible", leading a matching reliveried mark 3 rake out of Euston. Feels like part of a different world compared to the West Coast main line of today!

14xxDave

Apparently Hitachi have won the contract for the new trains for this franchise according to the Newcastle Chronicle. But I and the Chronicle may be late to this party!

xc170

Currently at BHM International, avanti timetables are available but still plenty of VT branding around, same at New St.

boxy321

Pendolinos are great looking machines. I remember being with friends heading down to Euston, them fearful like rollercoaster riders when the tilt got going properly. With the right wind, I can hear them leave Coventry station with the noise of the electrics and fans kicking in. Far better than the horrible sound of a 350 sounding like a 323 doing the Crazy Frog noise. Last year, I waited at Harrow and Wealdstone as they accelerated north and it is amazing - the difference between being on one and standing on a platform with them going by. Bloody seats are bust half the time now though - enforced recline!!! I'll report this on Trip Advisor.....

Status
Not open for further replies.