• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Trenitalia (Avanti!) WCML branding, naming and livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealTrains07

Established Member
How much virgin branding is at stations? On the trains there is little with only a bit on the outside, the shop, the toilets and the bits on the first class seats.

There are either velcro (I believe on the first class seats) or vinyl stickers. But excluding staff clothing and consumables like branded disposable cups which will come out of circulation there is also the stations which will need to be debranded.
All virign stations still have branding and everything Virgin in them if stoke, stafford and crewe are anything to go by?

in terms of re brand, Pendos will be first!
Stations usually are not a big priority in terms of re branding until after the franchise starts and even then it can be a long process even for smaller franchises like west mid which is not even close to completion so a franchise like the WCP which has stations over a very long distance is gonna take time. If anything the stations will get new posters and stuff like that. Distributing that will be easy.

Trains which in this case are the pendolinos will be first priority for re brand/livery as thats the easier job and can be easily started way in advance of the franchise changeover (take EMR for example)

plus the re branded pendolinos will be moving about showing off the new franchise name. Best way to advertise and considering their isnt much VT livery to take off except the fronts and the door logos

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

M60lad

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but once the new franchise starts will there still be working Wi-Fi on the trains? I know Virgin have their Beam app but guessing First won't have one unless their working on one that will go live once the new franchise starts

RealTrains07

Established Member
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but once the new franchise starts will there still be working Wi-Fi on the trains? I know Virgin have their Beam app but guessing First won't have one unless their working on one that will go live once the new franchise starts
Iam sure their will still be wifi even without beam being in place

Goldfish62

Established Member
First have something similar to Beam on their TPE services, I cannot recall what it is called however I know it didn’t work most of the time.
They also do on SWR. I think it's called SWRStream.

Nick Ashwell

On GWR HSTs it was just a standard WiFi connection with T&C redirect to get online, unsure about IETs

D2007wsm

Established Member
What about GWR, thats the most comparable to the likes of the WCP in terms of long distance london services?
As far as I know there isn’t anything on GWR. They used to have the screens on the back of the seats in Coach D on HSTs, but that was taken out some time ago.

Energy

Established Member
Launching the media service (beam / exstream thing not sure what to call it) isn't particularly hard, the hard part is getting licencing for content on there, they could expand exstream to cover this but it depends on the agreements for the content.
For the media service itself, all the hardware is there they just need the software, either get the one from Virgin and simply change the logos or they will make one in house / outsource it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Launching the media service (beam / exstream thing not sure what to call it) isn't particularly hard, the hard part is getting licencing for content on there, they could expand exstream to cover this but it depends on the agreements for the content.

Not really, they aren't doing it themselves, they will have the contractor that provides it sort that out.

vicktrick

We had a load of black indoor waiting room benches delivered at Coventry station last night and the old red ones taken away. The first class lounge has been shut, the red door painted dark grey and open as a normal waiting room. Rumour says it will go back to a first class lounge once taken over.

Energy

Established Member
Not really, they aren't doing it themselves, they will have the contractor that provides it sort that out.
Even the licencing for content? I was sure they had another company do everything else but I would have thought they would have to sign licencing agreements themselves...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Even the licencing for content? I was sure they had another company do everything else but I would have thought they would have to sign licencing agreements themselves...

I can see no more reason why they shouldn't subcontract that any more than I subcontract agreeing licence agreements to watch films with Amazon Prime or whatever.

krus_aragon

Established Member
(apropos. Virgin adverts)
It's also a pendo in original livery too. Talk about kicking a dead horse (in as nice a way as possible since VT and the original pendo livery are both my prefered ones).
I wouldn't worry too much about livery accuracy in such situations: two years or so ago ATW had some publicity on their website that included stylised drawings of a Class 175. This was in the latest dark turquoise livery, which despite being common on 150s, 158s, MkIII stock, etc, has never been applied to any 175s!

Energy

Established Member
I can see no more reason why they shouldn't subcontract that any more than I subcontract agreeing licence agreements to watch films with Amazon Prime or whatever.
Amazon Prime are a platform to watch media, so is the onboard one. AWS does a lot of hosting for Netflix, doesn't mean they do the licencing for them, lots of platforms are sold to companies such as train operators as flexible and the operator decides what content goes on.
They licencing may be done for them though, I don't know what is in the contract between VT and whoever do it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Amazon Prime are a platform to watch media, so is the onboard one.

And both are provided by a third party who handle all the licensing. The person installing the service (me on my telly, or the TOC on its trains) doesn't have to sign licensing agreements, they pay the third party to do that for them.

Nick Ashwell

There will we contracts with a distributor who will have contracts with production companies to distribute their content who are then paid by whoever VT subcontracts the app to (no way they do it in house). Amazon prime doesn't have a third party handling licensing, they do it themselves as Netflix, Hulu and the other major players do. In fact you are licencing the rights to watch that content from the distributor who licences the right to distribute that content.

Energy

Established Member
With films its obvious that they distribute from another distributer but what happens with magazines.
Also if someone can name an example of a company who manages the software? I know icomera do lot of the hardware.

Nick Ashwell

I'm amazed magazine providers are in at all on these services to be fair, I'd have thought the hugely cut price digital subscriptions will have enticed those who are happy to read on screens such as myself to stop buying as many print magazines (I now only get AirForcesMonthly as a paper copy, I read all my other magazines on my phone and have already paid for them, combine that with a kindle library and a couple of decent podcasts and you shouldn't need to stream anything. Factor in the fact that I can also download offline from my streaming services ahead of a journey and I feel it's almost a waste spending so much on a service of negligible value and not something that will dramatically effect passenger numbers

RealTrains07

Established Member
Stoke station has seemed to have received a re paint recently in virgin colours?

most noticeable is the bright red doors

cheese

Stoke station has seemed to have received a re paint recently in virgin colours?

most noticeable is the bright red doors

Struck me as a little weird, all things considered. The red wall to the left is very vibrant (by Stoke Station standards), but lacks Virgin branding (except what was already there).

Status
Not open for further replies.