• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First trip to Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I must say I prefer the German system for the simple reason of far better integration between modes, even if reliability is a bit patchy at times. Same with connections. Trains waiting is more common in Europe.

I remember a conductor on a Frankfurt-Kassel RE apologising profusely about how DB has failed us when he couldn't make the Gießen-Siegen train wait when we were delayed by a trespasser.

As someone used to 'trains won't wait' being the general rule in the UK (with exceptions), I was rather impressed (and taken aback).

Rick1984

We managed to get by in a B and B in Nuremberg owned by an old Croat lady with very limited German and English in her case so doubt you'd have any real trouble.

Another classic was a drunk barman in cologne who kept doing a shot of beer then washing the glass. He would speaking to us in German then go 'that's right your British'!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
To the OP, you will absolutely love Germany!
It along with Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic and Hungary, have a much better railway system than the UK IMO.

I wouldn't go along with the last two - certainly not Hungary.
The guards on them all can be quite officious when they want to be.
Foreign tourists are easy prey.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I have never struggled in Germany, but learning the basics is always a good thing to do. For example spater being late.... and learning basic numbers, money, beer, niceties etc.

Get yourself on Duolingo it is fantastic!

Journeyman

Established Member
By and large yes, although for future reference if you ever go anywhere in the former East Germany fewer people tend to speak English there (especially older people, though younger people are just as likely to speak English as in the former West), so it's well worth polishing up your German in that case.

Yup, I was going to say this. In the former West Germany, you'll have no problems at all, but in the former east, especially away from major tourist centres, you'll find most older people don't speak English. In Communist days, Russian was taught in schools, although very few people had much enthusiasm for learning it.

A phrasebook or app of some sort will help. I did German at school a very long time ago, so I can get by, but I do struggle to put sentences together - German grammar does my head in.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I wouldn't go along with the last two - certainly not Hungary.
The guards on them all can be quite officious when they want to be.
Foreign tourists are easy prey.

I find the younger/middle aged Czech staff to be perfectly pleasant. The old hands so to speak on the other hand seemed to see my Interrail pass and treat me with contempt in return.

Hungarian staff however seemed determined to be as awkward as possible. Apparently though wages and enthusiasm for the job are low, and some did try their best considering not a single one encountered knew a word of English.

If you want a taste of some older stuff then I'd heartily recommend the Czech Republic as a next stop from Germany. Hungary maybe for the more adventurous.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I find the younger/middle aged Czech staff to be perfectly pleasant. The old hands so to speak on the other hand seemed to see my Interrail pass and treat me with contempt in return.

Hungarian staff however seemed determined to be as awkward as possible. Apparently though wages and enthusiasm for the job are low, and some did try their best considering not a single one encountered knew a word of English.

If you want a taste of some older stuff then I'd heartily recommend the Czech Republic as a next stop from Germany. Hungary maybe for the more adventurous.

I've done Hungary and didn't have a problem, but I only did RJ and Sleeper services!

gordonthemoron

Established Member
ICE 2nd class seats are the same as first class ones, with possibly a different cover. The difference is they are 2+2 rather than 2+1 and they have less of a seat pitch. First class also tends to be less busy so I use that when possible. Also first class is generally closer to the buffet

As others have said i wouldn't recommended wasting your money on first class in Germany. The seats are basically the same (except for 2+1 in first class and 2+2 in standard class) so the standard class seats are just as nice. The ICE trains are very nice and probably (well at least in my opinion) the best high speed trains in Europe.

I find that most people in Germany seem to speak good English. You won't have any problems getting by with just English. It is certainly a lot easier than it is in France / Italy / Portugal / Spain where English speakers will have a much more difficult time.

Germany has a great railway network. There is plenty to see and do for railway enthusiasts. You will have a great time there.

duesselmartin

Established Member
ICE 2nd class seats are the same as first class ones, with possibly a different cover. The difference is they are 2+2 rather than 2+1 and they have less of a seat pitch. First class also tends to be less busy so I use that when possible. Also first class is generally closer to the buffet
1st class seats seem harder more ergonomic to me and have leather covers

AY1975

Established Member
As others have said i wouldn't recommended wasting your money on first class in Germany. The seats are basically the same (except for 2+1 in first class and 2+2 in standard class) so the standard class seats are just as nice. The ICE trains are very nice and probably (well at least in my opinion) the best high speed trains in Europe.

If you're travelling on one of the remaining loco-hauled IC trains, and you can get a first class Sparpreis ticket for only 10 Euros more than in second class, and you opt for a seat in a compartment, then one advantage is that you can keep your luggage right next to you instead of having to put it on a luggage stack at the end of the coach.

Some people find it reassuring to be able to keep their luggage as close as possible to their seat. Last year I travelled first class in a compartment on an IC from Hannover to Deventer (NL). As we crossed over the German/Dutch border there was an announcement in German, English and Dutch warning passengers to be vigilant because luggage thieves (called "zakkenrollers", literally bag rollers, in Dutch) may be on the prowl. That made me glad to have gone first class and opted for a compartment!

If you are travelling by ICE, some but not all ICEs have compartments in both classes. If you are travelling on a train with both saloon and compartment accommodation, the DB website lets you choose a "Grossraum" (saloon) or "Abteil" (compartment).

On Moderation
If you're travelling on one of the remaining loco-hauled IC trains, and you can get a first class Sparpreis ticket for only 10 Euros more than in second class, and you opt for a seat in a compartment, then one advantage is that you can keep your luggage right next to you instead of having to put it on a luggage stack at the end of the coach.

Some people find it reassuring to be able to keep their luggage as close as possible to their seat. Last year I travelled first class in a compartment on an IC from Hannover to Deventer (NL). As we crossed over the German/Dutch border there was an announcement in German, English and Dutch warning passengers to be vigilant because luggage thieves (called "zakkenrollers", literally bag rollers, in Dutch) may be on the prowl. That made me glad to have gone first class and opted for a compartment!

If you are travelling by ICE, some but not all ICEs have compartments in both classes. If you are travelling on a train with both saloon and compartment accommodation, the DB website lets you choose a "Grossraum" (saloon) or "Abteil" (compartment).
Some people don't take more luggage with them than they can carry, so it will easily go in the overhead racks.;)

Only the ICE1 sets have compartments AFAIAA.

Groningen

Established Member
Pickpockets usely try to get your money; not so much luggage. Never leave your luggage out of side. Especially shortly before departure always pay attention. So when the doors close that no one is able to steal something direct behind the doors.

fowler9

Established Member
Language wise you will be fine. Most people under the age of 60 will speak English just fine unless you get a very belligerent geriatric. I have just got back from Selisia in Poland well off the tourist route and got by with my basic Polish. Eastern Germany is no different.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I have survived several trips to Germany just knowing please, thank you, good morning, good afternoon and good bye. Once when I asked for 'ein Coca Cola bitte' I was very politely told that it was 'einen Coca Cola'.

A suggestion that you might be interested in is that each of the German Landen (States) have day tickets which are valid on local trains, trams, buses and even some preserved lines. Frankfurt is in Hesse and a map of the railways of Hesse can be found on http://ontheworldmap.com/germany/state/hesse/hesse-railway-map.html
Details of regional tickets can be found on the DB website

superalbs

Established Member
Unfortunately, the ICE 2 train uses poor quality Fainsa MD seats. As such, I would recommend avoiding these trains, and sticking with any other IC/ICE type train instead.

And thanks to others upthread for pointing out EC 8! That looks like a fantastic service to finish my European adventure part two coming up in March. :)

TeaLovingDave

2 I would like to travel ( if possible) the classic Rhine River. Rhineland route - how would I do that from Frankfurt?

3 I would also like to sample the ICE trains - I have in mind Frankfurt to Munich and back, but am open to other suggestions. I have budgeted for First class, but is it worth it?

As has been alluded elsewhere in this thread, it is entirely possible to tick off both of these objectives with a Koln-Frankfurt daytrip; I myself did precisely this when visiting North Rhine-Westphalia in April 2018, travelling the slow scenic route along the Rhine on my way to Frankfurt in the morning, and the fast ICE line back to Koln in the evening.

My default survival kit on DB premises is a nice big bowl of Gulaschsuppe.

Ah, the joys of Gulaschsuppe are one of the many things that have me returning to Germany whenever I can :p the best I ever had, however, was over the Czech border in Plzen.

I've found Dresden to be a very friendly city, the only German city where I've had locals randomly wish me good morning as I pass them!

Funny how experiences can vary - although I have had a chilly encounter or two in Germany, the only place I have encountered outright unpleasantness was Dresden back in September 2018; whilst we were at the zoo there, an elderly gentleman pointed at my girlfriend and myself and loudly said a few choice obscenities about the English to the woman pushing his wheelchair. I pretended not to understand, naturally.

However, even the aforementioned occasional chilliness is very much in the minority - overall I have always found Germans to be friendly and helpful :)

Groningen

Established Member
All lines from/to Koblenz are nice except that one to Andernach, Bonn and Koeln. Trier has the river Mosel, Neuwied has the right side of the Rhein. Sourh has Bingen (Rhein) left and Ruesselsheim (Rhein) right + Limburg (Lahn).

duesselmartin

Established Member
TeaLovingDave: yes. Visitor experiences can be very random. Also one Event can effect the way you see a wholet holiday. For example, i had a wonderful holiday in Israel but an unpleasant encounter with security forces overshadows it all.
In the past a racist Scotsman shaped my view of Scotland, only subsequent visits revised that opinion.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I have had strangers in Germany pass me in the street and greet me in passing. This was strange to me as it was in Bavaria where the greeting was 'Grüss Gott' rather than 'Guten Morgen'. I also learned that on entering a small shop (obviously not a supermarket or department store) always say 'Guten Morgen' or other greeting appropriate to the time of day.

The only time I have ever encountered any hostility in Germany was in Braunschweig when in the Old Market Square, I went to greet an English lady that I knew and I saw the shock/horror on the face of an elderly German man. I can only put this down to the colour of her skin as there was no other distinguishing feature for either of us.

Last edited:

SHD

I also learned that on entering a small shop (obviously not a supermarket or department store) always say 'Gutne Morgen' or other greeting appropriate to the time of day.

Is this not done in Britain? It certainly is an element of common courtesy in France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, etc.

433N

In the former West Germany, you'll have no problems at all, but in the former east, especially away from major tourist centres, you'll find most older people don't speak English.

When holidaying close to Dresden a few years ago, my wife needed a dentist. I was a little surprised that neither the dentist nor receptionist (who were both 30s-ish) knew no English. My German is ok and my wife's is non-existent. I had to act as translator whilst the dentist was prodding around in my wife's mouth (and he insisted on showing me the problem :( ) . So English isn't necessarily known by not-so-old professionals in the East. (The owner of the holiday cottage I'd booked didn't know any English either and she wasn't old be any stretch)

ON EDIT : The important bit to note was that the dentist, gawd bless, didn't charge me.:)

Veteran Member
When holidaying close to Dresden a few years ago, my wife needed a dentist. I was a little surprised that neither the dentist nor receptionist (who were both 30s-ish) knew no English. My German is ok and my wife's is non-existent. I had to act as translator whilst the dentist was prodding around in my wife's mouth (and he insisted on showing me the problem :( ) . So English isn't necessarily known by not-so-old professionals in the East. (The owner of the holiday cottage I'd booked didn't know any English either and she wasn't old be any stretch)

ON EDIT : The important bit to note was that the dentist, gawd bless, didn't charge me.:)
A bit surprised about the dentist - I would expect anyone with a Grammar School education post 1989 to have done English (so under 40 in 2019), but it depends on their actual age when you consulted them. Fortunately, when I needed urgent dental treatment in Sebnitz on the Czech border 15 years ago, my German was up to it. The charge was less than on the NHS as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.