• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Wells Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

THarris123

Established Member
This is a new thread to discuss about operations in firsts Wells depot.

This should then relieve the South West and Wales discussion from this.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thought of a better idea of improving the 376 service. Have it interworked with the 377. It probably was a while ago, but it should work out now.

You'd then have, at Wells, these buses going to Street:-
.00 X75
.15 376
.30 29
.45 377

This way the 377 would have very few changes. The 375 would also be left in, virtually the same (however, if Webberbus goes then 375 should replace X75). This would also allow the 376 to have more time on the service (at least 15 mins extra), improving punctuality.

I can't understand why, in February, First didn't change their services in Wells back to what it was before the 379 (i.e. have the 376 interworked with 375 (or what would be now X75) or 377). There were very few delays on all these services before the 379 became hourly (back in 2011/12).

The 29 has gone back to what it was, why not the 376?

The above would also save 1 vehicle - but this would have to go on something else in Wells, to keep the number of driver duties. So perhaps have it on 126 and bring this back to Wells or have a town service in Wells as I've been suggesting before:-

They could have a service that goes into Churchill Road and back into the Bus station, then have it go South of Wells to Morrisons and the other estates heading out towards Cheddar, along with serving Waitrose. This would only require 1 vehicle (a solo definitely). It would definitely keep the pensioners happy.

The 173 on Saturday had a queue waiting at the nearest stop to Churchill Road to go into town, therefore proving a point that the 174 should be brought back (even if it was 2 hourly). This bus could also then be used for the 173 school shift (improving the 161 slightly).

Something else this extra bus could be used for is 126 shorts. Have a service going from Wells to Cheddar and back hourly. This could then put Webberbus' 26 in real trouble (not that it is already).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
This is a new thread to discuss about operations in firsts Wells depot.

This should then relieve the South West and Wales discussion from this.
Thought of a better idea of improving the 376 service. Have it interworked with the 377. It probably was a while ago, but it should work out now.

You'd then have, at Wells, these buses going to Street:-
.00 X75
.15 376
.30 29
.45 377

This way the 377 would have very few changes. The 375 would also be left in, virtually the same (however, if Webberbus goes then 375 should replace X75). This would also allow the 376 to have more time on the service (at least 15 mins extra), improving punctuality.

I can't understand why, in February, First didn't change their services in Wells back to what it was before the 379 (i.e. have the 376 interworked with 375 (or what would be now X75) or 377). There were very few delays on all these services before the 379 became hourly (back in 2011/12).

The 29 has gone back to what it was, why not the 376?

The above would also save 1 vehicle - but this would have to go on something else in Wells, to keep the number of driver duties. So perhaps have it on 126 and bring this back to Wells or have a town service in Wells as I've been suggesting before:-

They could have a service that goes into Churchill Road and back into the Bus station, then have it go South of Wells to Morrisons and the other estates heading out towards Cheddar, along with serving Waitrose. This would only require 1 vehicle (a solo definitely). It would definitely keep the pensioners happy.

The 173 on Saturday had a queue waiting at the nearest stop to Churchill Road to go into town, therefore proving a point that the 174 should be brought back (even if it was 2 hourly). This bus could also then be used for the 173 school shift (improving the 161 slightly).

Something else this extra bus could be used for is 126 shorts. Have a service going from Wells to Cheddar and back hourly. This could then put Webberbus' 26 in real trouble (not that it is already).

The 174 lost money as it's just pensioners. Not meaning that to be derogatory but in terms of revenue. In fact, surely your point illustrates that people are quite happy to catch the 173? If you add in the old 174, are you just diluting the service? If you ran the 184 to Bath to replace the 179, then you could have a half hourly 173 service with the extra bus basically extending the current 184s south of Chilcompton

Also, if you're going to have 126 shorts, you'd put it at the lucrative end (I.e. Weston to Winscombe).

The reason why the 376 operates as it does is economics. The 375/X75 especially, and the 377 to a lesser extent, don't make the money to afford 2009 Eclipses. It is that simple. To improve timekeeping, make it set down only from Happy Landings into town and vice versa.

Also, they're flooding the Wells to Street corridor to swamp WB. If WB were to come off, the most logical move would probably to continue the 376 as is, hourly 377 and hourly 375. X75 goes and 29 going to run Taunton to Glastonbury as it historically did.

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
The 174 lost money as it's just pensioners. Not meaning that to be derogatory but in terms of revenue. In fact, surely your point illustrates that people are quite happy to catch the 173? If you add in the old 174, are you just diluting the service? If you ran the 184 to Bath to replace the 179, then you could have a half hourly 173 service with the extra bus basically extending the current 184s south of Chilcompton

Also, if you're going to have 126 shorts, you'd put it at the lucrative end (I.e. Weston to Winscombe).

The reason why the 376 operates as it does is economics. The 375/X75 especially, and the 377 to a lesser extent, don't make the money to afford 2009 Eclipses. It is that simple. To improve timekeeping, make it set down only from Happy Landings into town and vice versa.

Also, they're flooding the Wells to Street corridor to swamp WB. If WB were to come off, the most logical move would probably to continue the 376 as is, hourly 377 and hourly 375. X75 goes and 29 going to run Taunton to Glastonbury as it historically did.

Point 1:- the 174/173 - it is a pointless idea having the 173 every 30 mins. It won't work and they will lose money. I always hear people complaining about there being no town service in Wells. Many bus drivers have told me there should be something in the city.

Point 2:- the 126 - of what I've always seen, the 126 is busiest from Cheddar to Wells and back. There's no reason why weston can't operate a service to Winscombe if needs be, but they've already got the 121.

Point 3:- the 59 plates on 377 - how do you explain the 59 plate Eclipse buses being on the 377 fully for 3 years before the 379 was introduced hourly?

Point 4:- Webberbus and Wells to Street - why have First not changed their timetables yet to knock out Webberbus from Wells? If they were going to properly knock them off the 37/38, the 375 would be hourly. Then they could have a bus every 10 minutes to Street. That is bound to push out Webberbus.

Mr Grandwazoo, what would you do to Wells to improve the 376? What would you do to push out Webberbus?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Point 1:- the 174/173 - it is a pointless idea having the 173 every 30 mins. It won't work and they will lose money. I always hear people complaining about there being no town service in Wells. Many bus drivers have told me there should be something in the city.

Point 2:- the 126 - of what I've always seen, the 126 is busiest from Cheddar to Wells and back. There's no reason why weston can't operate a service to Winscombe if needs be, but they've already got the 121.

Point 3:- the 59 plates on 377 - how do you explain the 59 plate Eclipse buses being on the 377 fully for 3 years before the 379 was introduced hourly?

Point 4:- Webberbus and Wells to Street - why have First not changed their timetables yet to knock out Webberbus from Wells? If they were going to properly knock them off the 37/38, the 375 would be hourly. Then they could have a bus every 10 minutes to Street. That is bound to push out Webberbus.

Mr Grandwazoo, what would you do to Wells to improve the 376? What would you do to push out Webberbus?

To respond:

1. Why did they withdraw the 174 when the tender was renegotiated? Because it lost money. The 376 was only hourly before 2000 but easily justifies the higher frequency. Bath to Chilcompton is already half hourly so only requires one extra vehicle to make the whole route half hourly.

2. I can't comment on "what you've seen" but Weston to Winscombe is the busier section. Put on shorts on that section.

3. The 377 didn't have the WB competition then. Otherwise, when the changes came, they could've reallocated the B10BLEs but no, 69435-7 went to Bath.

4. The 375 hourly would've added yet more vehicles and cost. There is a balance to be struck

If I were to add a service to affect WB, Wedmore to Wells but in truth, the mass of service improvements and the £55 monthly travel ticket on BoS are getting them rocking anyway.

THarris123

Established Member
You didn't respond to my main question - how would you improve the 376?

Also, if First are trying to get the upper hand on Webberbus and the 377, even more reason why the Eclipses should be on there - the theory being (don't ask why), people like those buses and newer buses. If you were a normal passenger, would you rather get on an old scrappy B10 bus or one of Webberbus' versas? People do this, I've seen it many a time on 376/379 - people would rather wait for the 376 with an eclipse, rather than get on the 379 dart that has just turned up. Now the Streetlites are on there people are using it more. Only on Saturday there were elderly people saying that they'd rather use the 379 than the 768 to go from Paulton to Norton, due to the new buses.

It shows that people like those newer buses. 69435/6/7 should've never left Wells.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
You didn't respond to my main question - how would you improve the 376?

Also, if First are trying to get the upper hand on Webberbus and the 377, even more reason why the Eclipses should be on there - the theory being (don't ask why), people like those buses and newer buses. If you were a normal passenger, would you rather get on an old scrappy B10 bus or one of Webberbus' versas? People do this, I've seen it many a time on 376/379 - people would rather wait for the 376 with an eclipse, rather than get on the 379 dart that has just turned up. Now the Streetlites are on there people are using it more. Only on Saturday there were elderly people saying that they'd rather use the 379 than the 768 to go from Paulton to Norton, due to the new buses.

It shows that people like those newer buses. 69435/6/7 should've never left Wells.

Oh, if it were only that simple. Working on the same basis, then no-one would be travelling on the 126 now, eschewing the S and W reg Volvos for a 10 plate Solo?

Perhaps you could also explain how the 54 from Somerton to Taunton I caught a few weeks ago (an 02 plate B6) was fairly full? No need. It's the fact that the 38 was late/missing and that the 54 that was (at that time) projected to be running just behind was actually in front and mopped up the passengers. No surprise that the new 54 timings have moved one journey to be 7 mins infront as well as short journeys on the other half hour.

I'm a lot older than you and can remember when Cleveland Transit decided to compete with United on routes in East Cleveland. Transit were using brand new Lynxes (very nice) whilst United used Bristol LHs that were 10-15 years old and, if you've every travelled on an LH, you'll now that they're very basic. Who won? Not the one with the new kit. Why? Because United registered more services/higher frequencies and basically smothered them.

That is what First are doing with Webberbus, though since the 2Travel/Cardiff Bus case, they have to be cleverer about it. Invariably, people get on the first bus that comes along. If you think about it, Webberbus have new kit so how would First get a competitive advantage? Lower costs by using older or fully depreciated kit, and by sheer weight of numbers. If deregulation has taught us one thing, it's usually the firm with the deepest pockets that wins.

Turn it on its' head. Faresaver have gone in and are mullering First on the 234despite First having newer kit when the battle first started (5 year old Darts vs 10 year old Varios). How? They had lower costs both in staffing and operation, and half their vehicles even now only run off peak as they're built around schools contracts.

If you want to know how I'd improve the 376, well it's well covered on the main First SW thread. Firstly, I'd improve the reliability as that is the single most important aspect to any customer; there's a wealth of independent research to back that up. Hence, make it set down only from Happy Landings and let the 2 take the local traffic. That would allow faster running and greater recovery time in Bristol.

In the longer term, generate extra traffic by essentially copying the Gold and Sapphire concepts with e-leather, wifi and phone charging points/lap top sockets. I'd like to see the 376 emulate services like Stagecoach's 66 Swindon to Oxford where a virtuous circle is created.

THarris123

Established Member
Oh, if it were only that simple. Working on the same basis, then no-one would be travelling on the 126 now, eschewing the S and W reg Volvos for a 10 plate Solo?

Perhaps you could also explain how the 54 from Somerton to Taunton I caught a few weeks ago (an 02 plate B6) was fairly full? No need. It's the fact that the 38 was late/missing and that the 54 that was (at that time) projected to be running just behind was actually in front and mopped up the passengers. No surprise that the new 54 timings have moved one journey to be 7 mins infront as well as short journeys on the other half hour.

I'm a lot older than you and can remember when Cleveland Transit decided to compete with United on routes in East Cleveland. Transit were using brand new Lynxes (very nice) whilst United used Bristol LHs that were 10-15 years old and, if you've every travelled on an LH, you'll now that they're very basic. Who won? Not the one with the new kit. Why? Because United registered more services/higher frequencies and basically smothered them.

That is what First are doing with Webberbus, though since the 2Travel/Cardiff Bus case, they have to be cleverer about it. Invariably, people get on the first bus that comes along. If you think about it, Webberbus have new kit so how would First get a competitive advantage? Lower costs by using older or fully depreciated kit, and by sheer weight of numbers. If deregulation has taught us one thing, it's usually the firm with the deepest pockets that wins.

Turn it on its' head. Faresaver have gone in and are mullering First on the 234despite First having newer kit when the battle first started (5 year old Darts vs 10 year old Varios). How? They had lower costs both in staffing and operation, and half their vehicles even now only run off peak as they're built around schools contracts.

If you want to know how I'd improve the 376, well it's well covered on the main First SW thread. Firstly, I'd improve the reliability as that is the single most important aspect to any customer; there's a wealth of independent research to back that up. Hence, make it set down only from Happy Landings and let the 2 take the local traffic. That would allow faster running and greater recovery time in Bristol.

In the longer term, generate extra traffic by essentially copying the Gold and Sapphire concepts with e-leather, wifi and phone charging points/lap top sockets. I'd like to see the 376 emulate services like Stagecoach's 66 Swindon to Oxford where a virtuous circle is created.

I'm not trying to say your points are not valid, but I've been looking at this for the past 4 years and thinking of every possible solution to these services. I think the easiest thing that First can do, as i've suggested it to them many times, is put an extra bus on the 376 to improve punctuality. The idea of having a limited set down is ok, but I just don't think it will work. It is not the stopping that is holding the buses up, it is the traffic. Therefore the only way of dealing with this, is either sort out the traffic or add more time into the service. Another option could be to have it start and terminate at Temple Meads, but let's not go there.

The suggestion that I've pointed out on this thread is the best option I can think of. There are many benefits of having the 377 interworked with the 376. If a bus is running late, another bus can go out from Wells depot and be on time to go to Bristol, unlike at the moment where they can't. A bus is saved on the 376/377 - this can be used on the 375 (could have this 2 hourly to Bridgwater and 2 hourly to Street) and maintain the 5 buses an hour frequeny of Wells to Street. It also maintains an hourly service from Bristol to Street.
When I used to go to college (I was travelling to Street in the mornings and then into Bristol in the afternoon), the buses worked fine. This was the same as my suggestion, except from the 375 being used. I admit that the traffic has got worse in Whitchurch over the last 2-3 years, but it would still work.

I think the argument about the vehicles being used on the 377 is a minor issue.

First have got the upper hand on Webberbus on the Wells to Street part. Only this evening I saw 69443 on the X75 at 17.25. The 37 went out at 17.15. There was 1 person on the 37 and about 15 or so on the X75. It proves that what First is doing, is working and having 5 buses an hour would push out Webberbus even more.

I know my theory about people using a certain service because it has a new bus is completely faulty, but I have seen a few cases where this has happened. I think you are correct in saying that the majority of people will get the first bus that turns up.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
First have got the upper hand on Webberbus on the Wells to Street part. Only this evening I saw 69443 on the X75 at 17.25. The 37 went out at 17.15. There was 1 person on the 37 and about 15 or so on the X75. It proves that what First is doing, is working and having 5 buses an hour would push out Webberbus even more.

I know my theory about people using a certain service because it has a new bus is completely faulty, but I have seen a few cases where this has happened. I think you are correct in saying that the majority of people will get the first bus that turns up.

The problem with First putting on more buses between Street and Wells is that they are laying themselves open to accusations of predatory behaviour (if they're not already there on that corridor and TN to BR). That can attract fines/damages from CC and they can be made to continue to operate at that frequency for years to come (ref: Northumbria Motor Services vs Target Travel).

In terms of competitive action, there's only the 67 left to go at, but I'm wondering if First are thinking how long WB can last? I know I am

THarris123

Established Member
I've had a reply back from First about the punctuality of the 376.

They've said they are looking at options of improving the 376, along with increasing capacity at peak times.

They also said they are committed to improving this corridor and there have been recent changes to the 379 and 376 on a Sunday - by this do they mean February 14 changes?

They said expect to see improvements soon - that means it will either be in Nov changes or Jan/Feb changes.
Interesting to see that Webberbus are now using an ALX400 on the 37. Ashame no one is using it!

THarris123

Established Member
62193 has made a welcome to the Wells fleet.

It is covering 69439 which is broken down.

66107 also looks like it's being kept back for repairs. Will we see something else come into Wells to cover this?

Martin2012

I would be interested to find out, are all the journeys on the 376 worked by Wells drivers and vehicles or are any run by Bristol drivers?

I'm guessing that it must be handy having the depot up the road from the bus station because if a breakdown occurs, another vehicle can be input more quickly

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I would be interested to find out, are all the journeys on the 376 worked by Wells drivers and vehicles or are any run by Bristol drivers?

I'm guessing that it must be handy having the depot up the road from the bus station because if a breakdown occurs, another vehicle can be input more quickly

All done by Wells. It's now rare if not unknown for depots to share routes. Of course, should a vehicle break down in Bristol, a vehicle could be drawn from MH, for example.

I can remember MH doing a minority of turns on the X39 but that's been all BH for many years. More recently, 173 was split 2 WS & 1BH but not for a couple of years.

THarris123

Established Member
62193 is still in Wells. 41333 was sitting in the depot today.

The only bus that I haven't seen for the last few days is 69444 - has this been replaced by 62193 for the time being?

Interesting to see that 42731 was on the 376 this afternoon. 69441 was also on the 377 - this was a transfer, as this morning I saw 42731 in the depot and 69441 on 376. 66108 was in the depot this afternoon, unlike this morning where it was on 377. Obviously 69441 had been playing up.

Private Baxter

Established Member
All done by Wells. It's now rare if not unknown for depots to share routes. Of course, should a vehicle break down in Bristol, a vehicle could be drawn from MH, for example.

I can remember MH doing a minority of turns on the X39 but that's been all BH for many years. More recently, 173 was split 2 WS & 1BH but not for a couple of years.

I don't think the 173 has ever been jointly operated, it has always been completely Wells run. However, a couple of years ago Bath were doing selected journeys. They did the first bus in to Bath in the morning, which departed from Chilcompton at something like 06.30. (Presumably it ran dead to Chilcompton from Bath). They also briefly ran the Strode College run, which departed from Midsomer Norton and ran all the way down to Street. This had previously been operated by WS eclipses, and is once again. For a good few years, they WERE sharing the Sunday service. With a PVR of two, and departures every hour and a half, one bus was BH based, the other WS.

With regards Wells to Street services, something I was thinking about the other day. There is obviously no need for seven or eight buses an hour between the two places, but obviously WB are the problem. As long as there 37 keeps going, so too will the X75. There is I believe enough demand for travel to Bridgwater. However let's imagine a world in which WB are no longer around. That would drop three journeys already, but I think the Wells to Street corridoor is now worthy of an every 15 minute service, similar to Bath to MSN.

So, how about this: Service 375 returns to being an hourly service, and the sole service to Bridgwater. It would use 06 reg darts and serve Windmill Hill in Glastonbury once more. (And maybe the hospital). Service 376 would return to how it was pre 2012, when it ran every half hour Bristol to Wells, continuing hourly to Street. Service 377 would stay much the same, but would use darts. Finally, and I know this is pure imagination and wishful thinking, but...

Service 29 should pass to Wells depot. It could be renumbered 374 (or something similar) and interwork with 376, much like the 376 and 375 used to do. I reckon Taunton is the most popular of the three towns (BR, TN, YL) and 376 eclipses might just work quite well on it, although I do appreciate it will never be fully loaded.

So you could have:
XX.00 374 to Taunton
XX.15 375 to Bridgwater
XX.30 376 to Street
XX.45 377 to Yeovil

And if WB were completely gone (which to be fair I wouldn't wish on them), but maybe to make up for loss of 29, BoS could take over route 67, if obviously it is still considered a worthwhile service. To their credit, fair play on WB for taking on this service commercially.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
So, how about this: Service 375 returns to being an hourly service, and the sole service to Bridgwater. It would use 06 reg darts and serve Windmill Hill in Glastonbury once more. (And maybe the hospital). Service 376 would return to how it was pre 2012, when it ran every half hour Bristol to Wells, continuing hourly to Street. Service 377 would stay much the same, but would use darts. Finally, and I know this is pure imagination and wishful thinking, but...

Service 29 should pass to Wells depot. It could be renumbered 374 (or something similar) and interwork with 376, much like the 376 and 375 used to do. I reckon Taunton is the most popular of the three towns (BR, TN, YL) and 376 eclipses might just work quite well on it, although I do appreciate it will never be fully loaded.

So you could have:
XX.00 374 to Taunton
XX.15 375 to Bridgwater
XX.30 376 to Street
XX.45 377 to Yeovil

And if WB were completely gone (which to be fair I wouldn't wish on them), but maybe to make up for loss of 29, BoS could take over route 67, if obviously it is still considered a worthwhile service. To their credit, fair play on WB for taking on this service commercially.

I definitely remember catching the last departure from Wells on a Saturday pm and it was a female Bath driver with a B6LE probably about 3 to 4 years ago. And in days of yore, Wells depot didn't operate at all on Sundays so the 773 Bath to Glastonbury was a Bath duty with Mk2 Nationals!!

I don't think there is the trade for a 15 minute service between Street and Wells in a similar vein to MSN to Bath. Remember that the available population is much larger and the frequency has traditionally been higher as well too. However, I think if WB weren't around for some reason, then First would probably have to keep a 15 min frequency to avoid the challenge of predatory behaviour (i.e. "we upped our frequency from 2 bph to develop the corridor, nothing to do with Webberbus")

Is Taunton the big traffic objective from Wells - not seeing it myself? Also, the 29 doesn't really serve anywhere of any size once it's left Street southbound unlike 375/X75 that always pulls a few out of Woolavington, and the 377 through Ilminster and Somerton. It's always been the one with the lower frequency and smaller vehicles (done it on a bloody Vario - not nice).

Another way to look at it is....do you get more 376 passengers from Street and Glastonbury heading north to Bristol, than 29 passengers heading south from Wells? For that reason alone, I'd continue with the half hourly frequency on the 376 and chop the 29 as Taunton to Glastonbury (as it traditionally operated). Surely, if WB went pop, wouldn't it make sense for the 67 to be operated by Wells depot as it traditionally was (as 170/670)?

Realistically, I think you'd be looking at the 2009 Eclipses for a half hourly 376 with an hourly 375 and an hourly 377, and that you'd probably get B10BLEs on there (possibly W-EOW, X-ADK, Y-CSF examples or similar from across the group). 29 probably make do with something like those (X-HAE as were) MPDs?

Private Baxter

Established Member
I definitely remember catching the last departure from Wells on a Saturday pm and it was a female Bath driver with a B6LE probably about 3 to 4 years ago. And in days of yore, Wells depot didn't operate at all on Sundays so the 773 Bath to Glastonbury was a Bath duty with Mk2 Nationals!!

I don't think there is the trade for a 15 minute service between Street and Wells in a similar vein to MSN to Bath. Remember that the available population is much larger and the frequency has traditionally been higher as well too. However, I think if WB weren't around for some reason, then First would probably have to keep a 15 min frequency to avoid the challenge of predatory behaviour (i.e. "we upped our frequency from 2 bph to develop the corridor, nothing to do with Webberbus")

Is Taunton the big traffic objective from Wells - not seeing it myself? Also, the 29 doesn't really serve anywhere of any size once it's left Street southbound unlike 375/X75 that always pulls a few out of Woolavington, and the 377 through Ilminster and Somerton. It's always been the one with the lower frequency and smaller vehicles (done it on a bloody Vario - not nice).

Another way to look at it is....do you get more 376 passengers from Street and Glastonbury heading north to Bristol, than 29 passengers heading south from Wells? For that reason alone, I'd continue with the half hourly frequency on the 376 and chop the 29 as Taunton to Glastonbury (as it traditionally operated). Surely, if WB went pop, wouldn't it make sense for the 67 to be operated by Wells depot as it traditionally was (as 170/670)?

Realistically, I think you'd be looking at the 2009 Eclipses for a half hourly 376 with an hourly 375 and an hourly 377, and that you'd probably get B10BLEs on there (possibly W-EOW, X-ADK, Y-CSF examples or similar from across the group). 29 probably make do with something like those (X-HAE as were) MPDs?

I see your point about the 29. Whilst I believe that Taunton is a more popular destination than either Bridgwater or Yeovil, you are right that it doesn't have the benefit of anywhere significant between Street and Taunton. When I lived in Wells, Taunton was always my first choice, but can think of very few times when have used the 375/377 beyond Street. I also remember at times, the 29 being very well loaded upon leaving Taunton during the evening, although admittedly I am talking at least ten years ago!

I absolutely agree that a bus will pick up more passengers from Street and Wells on its way to Bristol than it would heading south to Taunton, but I thought it might be a better used service than 375 and 377 which until recently were eclpise operated . One more thing on this subject, I don't think terminating the 29 at Glastonbury is a good idea. I'm sure there is enough demand between there and Wells to justify the service.

This is of course pure imagination, and I doubt it would happen, but it was all suggestive anyway. Once the R BOU B10s have gone, I expect they will be replaced by something similar, and only a bit younger, such as the W EOW ones you suggested. (Nothing like as good!! ;)) But I personally think the time is right now for darts on those services. (375/377).

I wonder what the future holds for route 67? I would like to see Wells do it again of course, it's a pitty they lost it, but I can't see it happening for the foreseeable future. However the Wookey Hole section is actually quite well used, and the only true local route still in Wells. Again, in this hypothetical Webberbusless world, I can see First taking this route back, as the 172, or something similar, if not the rest of the route to Burnham.

I remember the old 773 when it ran Bath to Wells on Friday and Saturday nights (then dead back to Bath) but am too young to remember their Sunday service! Some bus stops still have 773 advertised!

THarris123

Established Member
Observations...

42738 was on 173 yesterday - bit odd

62245 is now in Wells. It was in the depot this morning.

News...
Steve White has explained to me that 69445 is receiving some accident damage repair and will be repainted after.

It looks like 69444 has also moved out - probably a paint job. 69443 I think could be the next one. It was sat at the back of the depot today looking sad for itself.

Where does Bath get all these spare buses from? 66356, 62193 and 62245 are all now in Wells. Surely Bath must be short of vehicles now?

Last edited:

matt_splat

both the alx darts were on the 173 tonight saw one heading into peasedown and the other out at 17:40

Private Baxter

Established Member
Observations...

42738 was on 173 yesterday - bit odd

62245 is now in Wells. It was in the depot this morning.

News...
Steve White has explained to me that 69445 is receiving some accident damage repair and will be repainted after.

It looks like 69444 has also moved out - probably a paint job. 69443 I think could be the next one. It was sat at the back of the depot today looking sad for itself.

Where does Bath get all these spare buses from? 66356, 62193 and 62245 are all now in Wells. Surely Bath must be short of vehicles now?

Finally word of 69445! Look forward to seeing this one in new livery. The first one for WS. Don't expect any others done soon though. I believe the current plan is the 02 reg B7s in Bath (Only 66252 left), then to complete the other B7s. 69445 is most likely a one-off, much like Bath's 66943.

I also wondered about Bath's seemingly endless spares. 44521 has just returned, which helps, but they are still a few short. They must be very stretched. Uni starts up again soon....

When all the fleet movements are settled it should be B6s

I think they'll be really good for that service. Not that I like the seating!!

matt_splat

wells have gained a few tatty darts from hengrove and lost b7s hence the darts on the 173 :(

iantherev

Observations...

Passed 69444 in Congresbury yesterday morning (11th) with a fitter driving NIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.