• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
Yes - all (?) Wrightbus vehicles for Great Britain now come through Heysham, as well as some for export to places like Hong Kong.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Not sure about the 234 evening turns, but most 263s are formed of whatever happens to turn up from Bath on the 265 (so almost always an Eclipse).

One thing that might interest you a bit is that I saw that another steppy Dart on the 231 one today, and an older MPD. On the other hand, the usual haunt for steppy Darts - the 36 in Bristol - had an interesting mix of ex-Capital Tridents and the traditional steppy Darts...

I think I saw a steppy on the SPA1 as well, which I was not impressed by! <(

Explains why I saw an eclipse on it once (rather large for the town service that's for sure) before it was guaranteed to be an SLF Euro 3 dart or on the odd time a Crusader

WelshBluebird

Established Member
In regards to the day south west ticket, I am not sure about the times and stuff, but it certainly is very good value. Was quite good last year as it was probably cheaper than paying for a ticket to Bristol (student price), and I was able to use it when I got to my girlfriends (in Devon).

Random thought: I wonder if you and I have ever travelled on the same bus? It's not as though I've never travelled on the U18 (:oops:)...

It wouldn't surprise me. Bath isn't exactly that big and I have bumped into random people before (an old schoolteacher, an old next door neighbour, etc).

I think the best solution is to cut the 10 frequency to every 15 minutes, and then merge it with the 18 (not via the Loop), with all journeys operated by deckers where possible and alternate journeys terminating in the city centre. (Weesex can keep the Loop for all I care.)

I would then ditch the U10. You are correct in suggesting two close journeys together, and I have even proposed the same for the SPA1! Sooner or later the remaining bendies will leave Bath (I am led to believe it won't be this summer though, although up to three may leave), and while I think the 18 will be OK - especially if we can get around the low bridge on the Loop, as my plan above does - the SPA1 will have problems. Its frequency cannot easily increase, but we can't run deckers! Solution? A short run every hour between Newton Park and Twerton via Newbridge.

I'd probably agree that the 18 should just be extended to Southdown anyway. Considering the recent planning issues that have come up too, I'd say it is likely that more and more students will end up living there rather than oldfield park itself.

In terms of the SPA1, I really wouldn't know. Only been over to Bath Spa twice (once by accident which I have mentioned before, and another time for an open day for my girlfriend). Out of curiosity, do you think Bath Spa would benefit from a second operator coming in (like Wessex Connect has done with Bath Uni), or are first ok on their own? Certainly there is the feeling on this side that Wessex Connect have been keeping Firsts prices down somewhat. No idea if that is actually the case mind you.

But I think a lot of the routes in Bath need swapping and cutting and changing really. The university routes are the most obvious because I use them the most, but the queue I saw a few weeks back for the park and ride was totally ridiculous aswell. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Ivo

Established Member
In regards to the day south west ticket, I am not sure about the times and stuff, but it certainly is very good value. Was quite good last year as it was probably cheaper than paying for a ticket to Bristol (student price), and I was able to use it when I got to my girlfriends (in Devon).

You'd be more than welcome to one of the two I have left (sonic2009 had the first one last week) :p

I'd probably agree that the 18 should just be extended to Southdown anyway. Considering the recent planning issues that have come up too, I'd say it is likely that more and more students will end up living there rather than oldfield park itself.

In terms of the SPA1, I really wouldn't know. Only been over to Bath Spa twice (once by accident which I have mentioned before, and another time for an open day for my girlfriend). Out of curiosity, do you think Bath Spa would benefit from a second operator coming in (like Wessex Connect has done with Bath Uni), or are first ok on their own? Certainly there is the feeling on this side that Wessex Connect have been keeping Firsts prices down somewhat. No idea if that is actually the case mind you.

But I think a lot of the routes in Bath need swapping and cutting and changing really. The university routes are the most obvious because I use them the most, but the queue I saw a few weeks back for the park and ride was totally ridiculous aswell. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

It's a tough one. Thinking of Spa, we had the SpaLink route in 2009/10 operated by Wessex - one minibus every two hours. And that was generous. (Its all-time high patronage was 16.) Otherwise, I think we're OK as things stand, if nothing else because we just aren't big enough, although some kind of direct link between Newton Park and Sion Hill - even if a short walk is involved somewhere - would help, as would a better link to Southdown (which the SpaLink provided), especially considering the Planning changes you alluded to. As for your end, Wessex have definitely pushed First's fares down - why else would they have introduced the £2 return from the Loop? I do think that 14 buses between Oldfield Park and the University is overkill though (5x18; 6xU18; 1xU10; 2x20), as First themselves would probably agree having seen the need for their bendies decreased since Wessex turned up.

I have a few ideas for how to improve the system in Bath. I will provide a map with details later tonight.

-----------------------

The last time I went on the X1, the route was ploughed by the Vovlo B7TL's never knew there was any form of (dennis?) E400's there. I'll need all those plus I still need some Gemini's too.

There used to be a dart on a 272 at around 1600 or 1700 apparently, steppy one too, but that was a year or two now, and I don't know if that could happen again...

Just to clarify, my source suggests they are standard Tridents and not E400s. They have the same E400 body though.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
My solution for Bath (City routes only; note that ! in the map indicates only some journeys operate at that location)

The current map (current First services only)

---------------------

Route 1: Every 30 minutes (Solo)
Route 2: Every 15 minutes west of Grand Parade; every 30 minutes north of Grand Parade (B7RLE)
Route 5: Every 10 minutes (Dart)
Route 6: Every 20 minutes (Solo)
Route 12: Every 40 minutes (Solo)
Route 13: Every 30 minutes to Bathford (Dart)
Route 13A: Every 30 minutes to Elmhurst (Dart)
Route 14: Every 10 minutes west of bus station; every 15 minutes south of bus station (Dart)
Route 16: Every 30 minutes (Dart)
Route 17: Every 30 minutes (Solo)
Route 18: Every 5 or 10 minutes east of Corn Street; every 15 minutes west of Corn Street via Brougham Hayes (B7TL/B7RLE)
Route 18A: Every 15 minutes via Lower Oldfield Park and eastern stretch of Lower Bristol Road
Route 20: Every 60 minutes between Twerton and University (Solo)
Route 20A: Every 60 minutes anti-clockwise (Solo)
Route 20C: Every 60 minutes clockwise (Solo)

First run routes 1, 2, 5, 6, 13, 13A, 14, 17 and 18. Wessex run routes 12, 16, 18A, 20, 20A and 20C.

Routes 1 and 4 are merged, as was true in 1994, with a slight change of route in Combe Down.
Routes 2 and SPA1 are merged, with benefits on both routes, with financial support from Bath Spa University.
Route 5 is simplified into its 2008 state.
Routes 6 and 7 are merged and simplified, with all buses running the Fairfield Park loop between Larkhall and the City Centre.
Route 12 is unchanged, besides its change of operator.
Route 13 is improved to run every 15 minutes, with alternate journeys running to Bathford or Elmhurst and a slight change of route in the south of the city.
Route 14 is rerouted at both ends of the route, and runs to a slightly lower frequency north of the City Centre.
Route 16 is new.
Route 17 is curtailed to the north and runs to the Royal United Hospital instead, and is revised to run via Queen Square.
Routes 18 and U18 are merged with former Southdown routes 10 and U10. Journeys alternately run to Southdown, then a circular route via Lower Oldfield Park and Churchill Bridge, and then to the City Centre only. Each variant runs every 15 minutes. Journeys to Southdown are operated by double-deck vehicles.
Routes 20A and 20C are rerouted in Weston and Foxhill, with the number 20 introduced for the short journeys in the south of the city.

Attachments

• Bath Bus Map S Version.jpg
    Bath Bus Map S Version.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

anthony263

Established Member
First have posted a copy of the new timetable for the Swansea open top service.

The service runs daily same as last year except wednesdays which is when the bus will have work done on it.

Services starts 1st June and is expected to be worked by Bristol VR
MOD 571P however First cymru are supposed to be receiving a open top Volvo Oympian in July which I think will be a convertable open topper so I suspect they will find other uses for it during the winter months.

anthony263

Established Member
As I stated the bus is having work done on it which I can understand if its the Bristol VR.

Journey times have been extended this year as it did struggle to keep time last year.

Of course things were not helped by the fact it never got into Swnsea on time when it came down from Pontardawe depot

Schnellzug

Established Member
Do they have an back-up in the not altogether improbable event of mechanical Difficulties? Or would they just stick a Dart on or something? Round here they seem to be using the Volvo Citybus (38015) as the regular one for now, and when it goes to hourly in June I suppose they'll start using the Olympian. Although quite often anything including one of the X53 B9TLs will be stuck on, particularly in the (obviously rare) event of Inclement weather.

Ivo

Established Member
News I've just received indicates that we can expect some new 62-reg [not a typo] Hybrid deckers for use on our Park & Ride routes! They are due in approximately October. What this will mean for the current Geminis I don't know, however I would hope they are kept around here, probably for X39 duty.

DaveHarries

Established Member
News I've just received indicates that we can expect some new 62-reg [not a typo] Hybrid deckers for use on our Park & Ride routes! They are due in approximately October. What this will mean for the current Geminis I don't know, however I would hope they are kept around here, probably for X39 duty.
In Round 3 of the Green Bus fund, First gained amounts as follows:

First Essex (23 vehicles, £1,879,712)
First Berkshire (10 vehicles, £884,144)
First Somerset & Avon (8 vehicles, £650,442) - for Bath

Volvo seem to have got a lot of orders for round 3 of the GBF with a total of 174 vehicles. Of those, 145 are B5LH / Wright (77 to Arriva, 45 for GoAhead, 9 for National Express, 8 for Rotala, 6 for Ensign Bus).

However another interesting side is that FirstGroup have ordered 29x Volvo 7900 Hybrid, a type new to England. For the benefit of anyone who has never seen a Volvo 7900 Hybrid they look like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/focus_on_flickr/6281217898/in/photostream/

I have yet to see any information on where these 7900s will go. However, Lothian Bus have 10x Volvo 7900 Hybrid on order as well.

Source for above information:
GBF3 awards: http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/green-bus-fund-round3/green-bus-fund-round-3-winners.pdf
busandcoach.com: http://busandcoach.com/newspage.aspx?id=6639&categoryid=0

HTIOI,
Dave

Ivo

Established Member
I would assume most of the Essex ones are for Chelmsford/Colchester :| They usually are...

I have learned yet more today from one of my internal sources, which may be of interest to WelshBluebird (and I say "may" because by the time it matters he would have left University). There is a rumour doing the rounds that Wessex Connect's seemingly massively popular and successful U18 route is in on the verge of withdrawal! Its prices are too low and its frequency is lower than the 18 (well, on the main stretch of the route anyway), and its drivers tend to be less courteous, and the bus are "tackier" and smaller on average, and so on - and as such, the U18 is set to be cut. What this means for their other services in Bath, i.e. the 5 [copied from First], the 10 [copied from First], the 20 [won from First] and the U10 [copied from First] remains to be seen, but I highly doubt the U10 at least will survive - and what of the 20's 61-reg Solo SRs?

This will spell trouble for the 18. When I first came to Bath in April 2009 the U18 did not exist and the 18 was a bendy every six minutes. Now, it still runs every six minutes - but only roughly one-in-two is a bendy! Should the U18 be withdrawn, what will happen? The 18 will not cope, and the bendies are not really viable any more! I would therefore like to propose my plan from a few days ago for real. Of course, I doubt anything will happen, but oh well. According to it, the frequency will be improved to every 5 minutes - without bendies. I'm sure all involved would like that <D

At the other end of the city, I hate to say it but: If anyone from either S&A or my Uni is reading this, I told you so. The new term-time timetable is failing. The new Saturday and Holiday timetables are not failing. I think my meeting with the SU on the 30th may be rather difficult...

Oh, and lastly, more evidence that the 'S'-reg Darts we "inherited" from Rotherham are hopeless: 40525 (S520 UAK) failed while I was talking to my source! :lol:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I have learned yet more today from one of my internal sources, which may be of interest to WelshBluebird (and I say "may" because by the time it matters he would have left University). There is a rumour doing the rounds that Wessex Connect's seemingly massively popular and successful U18 route is in on the verge of withdrawal! Its prices are too low and its frequency is lower than the 18 (well, on the main stretch of the route anyway), and its drivers tend to be less courteous, and the bus are "tackier" and smaller on average, and so on - and as such, the U18 is set to be cut. What this means for their other services in Bath, i.e. the 5 [copied from First], the 10 [copied from First], the 20 [won from First] and the U10 [copied from First] remains to be seen, but I highly doubt the U10 at least will survive - and what of the 20's 61-reg Solo SRs?

This will spell trouble for the 18. When I first came to Bath in April 2009 the U18 did not exist and the 18 was a bendy every six minutes. Now, it still runs every six minutes - but only roughly one-in-two is a bendy! Should the U18 be withdrawn, what will happen? The 18 will not cope, and the bendies are not really viable any more! I would therefore like to propose my plan from a few days ago for real. Of course, I doubt anything will happen, but oh well. According to it, the frequency will be improved to every 5 minutes - without bendies. I'm sure all involved would like that <D

I did not expect that.

While all the points you mention are certainly true, I don't see why any of that would matter to Wessex Connect. They are still getting the vast majority of custom on that route (from what I can see anyway - usually the 18's are pretty empty now), so the drivers, state of buses etc aren't putting people off using it.

The only things that I can see from what you have said is the prices being too low (maybe they are too low to make a decent profit from?) and the state of the buses (I have seen a few break down over the last few weeks - maybe the maintenance costs are too high?).

Defiantly seems a bit odd to me and will cause a bit of an issue if true.
Even though I won't be at uni, there is a good chance I will still be involved with the University Lifesaving Club so it will still affect me (though not a huge amount).

Nice to see that you were right on your side though! Do you think they will actually notice that, or just pretend everything is ok?

Ivo

Established Member
I did not expect that.

Truth be told, neither did I. If anything I expected the 18's frequency to decrease (to 8bph) come September!

Nice to see that you were right on your side though! Do you think they will actually notice that, or just pretend everything is ok?

I ran into one Richard Lewis [the depot manager] a couple of weeks ago, and explicitly told him that things weren't working as they and the University had not only hoped, but expected. He found it very surpring that I had mentioned it seemingly out of the blue, as it was his understanding - note that based on what he told me his understanding of many routes, not just the SPA1, is limited - that things were going well.

Not so. Whilst on 40525 last night (before it broke down :lol:) my internal source told me that half of the people that can use the short journeys don't, and essentially all of those that can otherwise change to the 5 (etc) don't - and, worst of all, half of those that do board still don't realise the service has changed! The whole idea of looping round is a gimmick that is supposed to make it look like both parties are trying desperately to improve things, when in practice they are now using two buses for a duty that formerly required one and in practice only needs one. The old SPA2 may have been a needless diversion, but the method of running one extra outbound journey in the evening peak is the right way to go, and for me personally that means a SPA1 terminating at Corn Street - and then running dead along Lower Bristol Road.

I first received a copy of the planned timetable (effective April 1st) on January 23rd. Here is what I told the SU President then:

In the afternoon, is a 10-minute frequency really necessary? This to me suggests that we could be looking at a service that is run by precisely zero bendy buses; the service as things stands is adequate allowing for their use but struggles in the evening without them. In 2010 I was told by the Students' Union that they had ehard nothing to suggest some bendy buses were leaving Bath - three then left. I fear a repeat.

And then when we received a revised version four weeks later:

I still don't see the point in having the extra short journeys outbound (unless we are looking at having no artics in the afternoon), although having one an hour certainly does help.

The changes they implemented honestly suggested to me that the bendies were about to leave (they will sooner or later). This aside, the new plan has no justification - and I think that both company and University have found out the hard way. In spite of my repeated warnings.

When I have my next (probably last) meeting with the current SU President on the 30th, I will be sure to mention this to him. I might even have to suggest letting me plan a timetable (again <D) and then using it as a basis for the real one come September...

Back to your end, I'm not sure what will happen if Wessex do pull out of the U18. The 18 will not cope on a 6 frequency with only seven bendies available which have to be shared with us (the off-peak vehicle requirement is 13). But I can't see First improving that - or, if they do, they will make a right mess of it. I'm not sure my idea of merging it with the 10 would be the right way to go initially, but in time - certainly once the bendies are confirmed to be leaving the city - I don't think there will be a better option.

You don't suppose your end are looking for someone who can plan bus timetables do you? :p

matt_splat

as some one from bath who has watched the 18s and U18s regually in the past i have to say first seem to carry more but i do wonder if this is because of cock ups wessex seem to make.

first in southampton have just undergone a major bus network re design and it also looks like bristol may get the same so hopefully bath could as well.

if wessex did pull out of the uni we could see a service ran by bath bus company who are owned by RATP now, Bath Bus in the past use to run the U6 (UNI to Avon Street) U7 which ran in the direction of flow in the morning it would start on the moorland road run into town via the old first 410 / 8 route to sainsburys then it ran via the U10 route to the Uni but it would also run out of town up the A367 in the morning to form a kind of circular service and in the evening it would run in reverse.

when you look at wessexs costs ever other operatior in bath bar i think somerbus have put fares up because of the changes in how the fuel payments work and other reasons but wessex have not, then you have to look at the mileage first have a depot in bath while wessex run busses out of service back to keynsham which is a extra 20 mins drive onto the end of the day which adds up when it comes to drivers pay and also fuel.

the 5s and 10s that wessex run only do well on the bus passes i'm supprised they still are running.

i would be intrested to see whats going to happen in the future i have always wondered if the services were controlled you could have a more better service for the public and students e.g the fares are set by the uni and tickets are able to be used on both which takes out the compertition but provides a massive service improvement for the students and the companys will both have lots to gain with inter ticket avaliblity because members of the public would be able to use both.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
also the gossip last summer was first in bath were going to get some deckers for the 18s 2nd hand to put on some trips which never happend but when you think new park and ride deckers are on the way could bath see some deckers move to cover more uni services after all if wessex pulled out first would have 40 days to register a change to the service and draft in bendys from storage up north or other busses the18s ran at ever 4 mins before wessex and coped i could see them being able to again with the correct type of bus

anthony263

Established Member
A photo published tonight on the Welsh bus photos group shows First Cymru have at last got a step entrance dart back on the road although a UVG Urbanstar example from Hampshire

Currently being used in Swansea so will be something to note for those who may be coming to Swansea on 2nd June.

Ivo

Established Member
Bath have received several new buses from down further south of late. Volvo Eclipse 69253 (YJ07 WFV), a rather unusual - to me anyway - combination of original Eclipse body with more modern engine/transmission/whatever (akin to Eclipse 2 models) has made its way up from Plymouth; elsewhere, making the journey from the Hampshire division is steppy Dart 46318 (M318 YOT). On the flip side however, Dart 46237 (N237 KAE) has been withdrawn, and seemingly sent for scrapping; I am led to believe that we have also lost HoW's favourite two deckers, 32279/80 (WR03 YZL/M), to Hengrove in Bristol. Finally, I think something may be up at Wells; Volvo Eclipse 2 69444 (WX59 BYW) was seen scurrying aimlessly through Bath all day yesterday (Tuesday)!

No news on other operations of late. I will note that yesterday was a complete write-off for First owing to the Torch Relay; the 18 diversion didn't even work in the end because some moron parked in an awkward location! :lol:

Lastly, I have recently completed another full timetable for the SPA1 service, which I will be discussing with the University next Wednesday.

anthony263

Established Member
Bath have received several new buses from down further south of late. Volvo Eclipse 69253 (YJ07 WFV), a rather unusual - to me anyway - combination of original Eclipse body with more modern engine/transmission/whatever (akin to Eclipse 2 models) has made its way up from Plymouth; elsewhere, making the journey from the Hampshire division is steppy Dart 46318 (M318 YOT). On the flip side however, Dart 46237 (N237 KAE) has been withdrawn, and seemingly sent for scrapping; I am led to believe that we have also lost HoW's favourite two deckers, 32279/80 (WR03 YZL/M), to Hengrove in Bristol. Finally, I think something may be up at Wells; Volvo Eclipse 2 69444 (WX59 BYW) was seen scurrying aimlessly through Bath all day yesterday (Tuesday)!

No news on other operations of late. I will note that yesterday was a complete write-off for First owing to the Torch Relay; the 18 diversion didn't even work in the end because some moron parked in an awkward location! :lol:

Lastly, I have recently completed another full timetable for the SPA1 service, which I will be discussing with the University next Wednesday.

The police should have been called to tow the offending vehicle away of knocked on the doors of houses and order that the vehicle be moved especially since what happened if an emergency vehicle couldn't get passed.

Of course a part of me would say just squeeze past and smack the side of the car if it was a car not something a little bigger.

I did notice when they diverted traffic in Swansea including uses they posted letters through peoples letter boxes requested the park thier vehicles on their drives and not block the road as buses would need to use it so maybe they could have done something like this when they diverted the service 18.

Heard would that First cymru may now at last be getting some low floor deckers - I wonder where they are going to come from (Bristol I suspect unless they have low floor deckers in Slough?)

Schnellzug

Established Member
No news on other operations of late. I will note that yesterday was a complete write-off for First owing to the Torch Relay; the 18 diversion didn't even work in the end because some moron parked in an awkward location! :lol:.

Will First or anyone else get any compensation from lord Coe and LOCOG, or will lord Coe and LOCOG say that everyone should just feel so grateful for being treated to this Incredible experience and so grateful to them for bringing the Games to britain.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Bath have received several new buses from down further south of late. Volvo Eclipse 69253 (YJ07 WFV), a rather unusual - to me anyway - combination of original Eclipse body with more modern engine/transmission/whatever (akin to Eclipse 2 models) has made its way up from Plymouth

An original body Eclipse indeed but apparently it has a Volvo B7RLE fitted like the other 66xxx numbered Eclipses around here, but the 69xxx number has me wondering if it's just the transmission has changed perhaps?

elsewhere, making the journey from the Hampshire division is steppy Dart 46318 (M318 YOT).

Nice! Next FDSW plan is Bath/Bristol area, might just fall onto that one in the area!

On the flip side however, Dart 46237 (N237 KAE) has been withdrawn, and seemingly sent for scrapping; I am led to believe that we have also lost HoW's favourite two deckers, 32279/80 (WR03 YZL/M), to Hengrove in Bristol.

:( I remember seeing 46237 a lot in Trowbridge a handful of years ago, I remember it was N237 KAE that conveniently operated the discontinued route 237! :lol:

Shame my deckers have moved further away, hopefully I'll see them in Bristol next though they could be anywhere!

Whoops!!

Reminds me of a Moron here some weeks ago on the 234, when someone decided to drop something off at someone's house in their 4X4 on a narrow-ish road (I would link it through google maps as it's on streetview, but I don't know how to do it :?) anyway the 4X4 took up the whole lane as she decided not to park over the double yellow lines, but park furthest away from it being just over the white dividing lines, as if to avoid getting fined for parking on double yellow lines as technically no part of the vehicle was touching it or something... :roll:

tbtc

Veteran Member
more evidence that the 'S'-reg Darts we "inherited" from Rotherham are hopeless: 40525 (S520 UAK) failed while I was talking to my source! :lol:

Shocking buses!

They should have been scrapped a couple of years ago. But then First decided to swap around thirty Geminis from Sheffield to Glasgow (getting single deckers in exchange)...

...the single deckers were put on a new route to Barnsley (outside the traditional "Mainline" areas, tackling Stagecoach in their own back yard) which meant that First had to bring the SPDs out of retirement.

They might be okay in York, Norwich etc (flat areas suited to milk floats) :p

And, yes, we have plenty of the things left in South Yorkshire :(

Ivo

Established Member
Will First or anyone else get any compensation from lord Coe and LOCOG, or will lord Coe and LOCOG say that everyone should just feel so grateful for being treated to this Incredible experience and so grateful to them for bringing the Games to britain.

That's about as likely as everyone in the country finally supporting the Games :lol:

An original body Eclipse indeed but apparently it has a Volvo B7RLE fitted like the other 66xxx numbered Eclipses around here, but the 69xxx number has me wondering if it's just the transmission has changed perhaps?

I would assume it's something like that. It sounds like an Eclipse 2 model, but looks like an Eclipse 1 model...

:( I remember seeing 46237 a lot in Trowbridge a handful of years ago, I remember it was N237 KAE that conveniently operated the discontinued route 237! :lol:

Shame my deckers have moved further away, hopefully I'll see them in Bristol next though they could be anywhere!

I won't complain about the Dart, although we now have only six deckers by my reckoning (not including the P&R set). A sign of things to come? Meanwhile, I don't really know much about the 237; it was still running when the oldest timetable I have was introduced - but had been withdrawn by the time the bus station opened. That makes it late 2008 or early 2009. It did have a rather odd frequency, I have to say!

Shocking buses!

They should have been scrapped a couple of years ago.

And, yes, we have plenty of the things left in South Yorkshire :(

Most Dart SLFs aren't too bad. Those ones however are awful - the sooner they are scrapped the better.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Most Dart SLFs aren't too bad. Those ones however are awful - the sooner they are scrapped the better.

All depends on the operating territory - these had a baptism of fire on the old 95 in Sheffield which has some horrible hills that tend to sort the wheat from the chaff

Have they all still got their red/yellow "Mainline" interiors?

Ivo

Established Member
All depends on the operating territory - these had a baptism of fire on the old 95 in Sheffield which has some horrible hills that tend to sort the wheat from the chaff

Have they all still got their red/yellow "Mainline" interiors?

They have - where the yellow hasn't peeled away anyway. I have to say that the corporate scheme looks better.

Just a fleet mention here. Anyone who has ever travelled on First S&A's B10BLE / Wright 66172 will do so no more: it met its end by fire while working Service 126 on Thursday 24th May.

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Pas...ks-A38-route/story-16184937-detail/story.html

The report that it is 66172 came from a Facebook contact of mine.

Dave

Ouch! I hope the company are as good to the driver as everyone else involved will have been, unlike a certain bunch of morons (and for once I don't mean Arriva) who I know very well would not!