• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

-Colly405-

I don't remember the 2 (or 54 before it for that matter) ever going along the bottom half of Pen Park. That was only ever the (old) 77 in my memory.
The only journey on the 54 that went along the bottom half of Pen Park was a solitary 54A morning peak journey that started at Filton Church, then served Southmead Rd, right onto Pen Park and left onto Greystoke to join the main 54 route.
The evening/Sunday journeys were the 54B, and did a double run up Charlton Rd.

Of course, there was a daytime 2 which came out from town along Whiteladies, went as far as Westbury, then the full length of Greystoke and up Pen Park to Charlton Rd. Became the 55, ISTR.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AB93

No idea if this has been posted but from April the 2A will start. Will go via Southmead road, penn park road then turn right on to chartlon road and turning around at the end of the road (apparently this used to be a route back in the day)
It did used to be a route!

I think people are talking at cross purposes, I think what was meant was the serving of Charlton Road in Brentry by First buses (currently only served by the 508).

Not the use of the route 2A number (which was indeed used recently and turned into the 92 about a year ago).

DaveHarries

Established Member
I don't remember the 2 (or 54 before it for that matter) ever going along the bottom half of Pen Park. That was only ever the (old) 77 in my memory.
The only journey on the 54 that went along the bottom half of Pen Park was a solitary 54A morning peak journey that started at Filton Church, then served Southmead Rd, right onto Pen Park and left onto Greystoke to join the main 54 route.
The evening/Sunday journeys were the 54B, and did a double run up Charlton Rd.

Of course, there was a daytime 2 which came out from town along Whiteladies, went as far as Westbury, then the full length of Greystoke and up Pen Park to Charlton Rd. Became the 55, ISTR.
Also not forgetting the former Service 1A which, IIRC, was a morning route that ran between Southmead (Charlton Road) and Broomhil (Whitmore Avenue): starting from Charlton Road it ran the whole length of Charlton Road to join Falcondale Road opposite Northover Road / The Ridgeway from where it followed the route of Service 1. Back in the days when all council supported services in Bristol were numbered 5xx I believe the 1A was numbered, interestingly, as Service 502 so there may well have been a Service 2 previously that ran to Southmead? If there was I don't remember it. The daytime equivalent (in part anyway) of Services 1A / 502 was Service 55 which I think was Southmead (Charlton Road) to Broadmead via. Westbury-on-Trym, Blackboy Hill Top and Clifton Down. I don't recall if the 55 served the Arnside Road area of Southmead, or when the 55 was withdrawn.

Dave

Class 33

Established Member
The new proposed 72A routing (replacing the 9) looks interesting. I think it should share stops with the 72 in City Centre and not go via the BRI. The frequency on Saturdays for Redland, with just the hourly 72 passing through, seems mean.

Thoughts on consultation?

https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-bath-and-west/news-and-service-updates/customer-consultations

Yes the proposed 72A looks interesting. But that said, these changes still mean a poor frequency level of service between Redland and Centre/Broadmead. Whilst every 15 minutes during Monday-Friday daytimes is OK(that's presuming the services aren't delayed or cancelled, which often seems to be the case now!) I suppose, but on Monday-Friday evenings after 7pm, and on weekends being only every hour, well that's just ridiculous! I have completed the consultation and told them that, and that at those times/days the service frequency should be every half hour as only every hour is not very convenient atall. But I don't expect this will be implemented!

I also mentioned that there should be also be a service that runs a more direct faster route between Centre/Broadmead and Redland running via Haymarket, Stokes Croft, Cheltenham Road, Zetland Road, South Road, Redland Grove, Redland Road and then going on to terminate somewhere beyond Redland. But I don't think for a minute this will be implemented!

Will be interesting to see what happens for the September changes anyway. But I'm hoping to be out of Redland by then anyway, as the area is such a crap area for bus services compared to other parts of the city! The services have been steadily going downhill since I moved here in 2014. I prefer to live somewhere with a better bus service!

goldisgood

questmedia.ashx

Here's the map for the proposed 72/72A for anyone who's interested.

Class 33

Established Member
When in April are the Bristol service changes happening? Thought we'd have got a VOSA preview of the changes by now.

ATW158Xpress

Isn’t it 42 days notice that bus operators in England have to give to the Traffic Commissioner for any changes to services?

diffywood

According to traveline sw changes to Bristol services 1 2 8 17 48 48a 49 39 X1 X1X M2 X3 x3a from 5th April.
Also changes in wsm bath

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
I'm not sure but if that's true then they will have to put them up by the 23rd February
Service changes for all depots will be on Sunday 05 April
Some have come through today (Thursday 20-Feb-2020) with changes afoot around Taunton, Bridgwater and Wells. First have cancelled Service 19 (Bridgwater - Sutton Mallet - Bridgwater) which is a college days only service. They have also cancelled Service 29 (Taunton - Wells) and Service 99 (Chard - Taunton) wef 05-Apr-2020. I guess the 99 is no great loss because the 30 provides alternative services between Chard and Taunton. Bad luck on residents on the route of the 29 though.

The changes to the X3 / X3A between Bristol and Portishead may well be a result of the consultation that First recently did on those routes. Interestingly, however, TravelineSW does not suggest any changes to that other route between Bristol and Portishead, namely the X4, the TT for which does not presently show an expiry date.

Dave

D2007wsm

Established Member
Some have come through today (Thursday 20-Feb-2020) with changes afoot around Taunton, Bridgwater and Wells. First have cancelled Service 19 (Bridgwater - Sutton Mallet - Bridgwater) which is a college days only service. They have also cancelled Service 29 (Taunton - Wells) and Service 99 (Chard - Taunton) wef 05-Apr-2020. I guess the 99 is no great loss because the 30 provides alternative services between Chard and Taunton. Bad luck on residents on the route of the 29 though.

The changes to the X3 / X3A between Bristol and Portishead may well be a result of the consultation that First recently did on those routes. Interestingly, however, TravelineSW does not suggest any changes to that other route between Bristol and Portishead, namely the X4, the TT for which does not presently show an expiry date.

Dave
All of the First WoE changes are definitely 05/04/20. I know what’s happening and have done for a few weeks, but can’t say anything until it is released into the public domain.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I guess the 99 is no great loss because the 30 provides alternative services between Chard and Taunton. Bad luck on residents on the route of the 29 though.

The 99 might happen to travel between Chard and Taunton but it’s a totally different service. It’s like withdrawing 37 because you’ve got the X39.

It was tendered but don’t know if BoS took on the 99 commercially when Stagecoach withdrew it.

The last time I was on the 29, it was the 1548 from Taunton on a weekday and I was genuinely surprised how bad the loadings were.

carlberry

Established Member
Dave
It's getting bleak in Somerset.

Private Baxter

Established Member
I am genuinely saddened by the loss of the 29. I used to use it regularly between Wells and Taunton, and whilst it has had its frequency cut in recent years, I always thought it was otherwise a safe service. Will have to have one last go on it before April. I'm thinking a general BoS day.

In Wells this afternoon I noted one of Bridgwater's 21 livery buses working the 75, and thought it looked rather good. Also noticed some works going on at the depot, meaning many buses are parked up in the coach station over night. Any idea what work they are doing?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

It's unfortunately been part of a pattern for some time for a number of reasons, whether it be tender cuts or cost cutting to achieve/maintain margins, and it would be wrong to include the cuts to services that were enhanced purely as part of the Webberbus battles (e.g. 21, 55 etc). The 30, 54 and 77 all went from being hourly to every 90 mins. The 57 went completely and the 58 went to two hourly (supported by a two hourly X10 on weekdays) so the Saturday service from Yeovil to Sherborne went from half hourly to every two hours. The Taunton 1 is now half hourly on Saturdays when I think it was every 15 mins?

In the interests of balance, you do have to say that the 99 was taken on when Stagecoach binned it and they are improving the 28 fleet with the new livery and refurb, plus improving the 21. Also, they have sought to develop the Taunton P&R.

However, the pressure for margins allied to a lacklustre public authority, and a general decline in our high streets depressing patronage is challenging enough but perhaps more so in such a rural county.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I am genuinely saddened by the loss of the 29. I used to use it regularly between Wells and Taunton, and whilst it has had its frequency cut in recent years, I always thought it was otherwise a safe service. Will have to have one last go on it before April. I'm thinking a general BoS day.

In Wells this afternoon I noted one of Bridgwater's 21 livery buses working the 75, and thought it looked rather good. Also noticed some works going on at the depot, meaning many buses are parked up in the coach station over night. Any idea what work they are doing?

As we've discussed before, the 29 has oscillated in frequency. It had the hourly frequency at a number of times and also every 90 mins, but in reality, the current service pattern is what is traditionally had. I guess that two reasonably well laden journeys in the peak doesn't really suffice for buses running all day almost exclusively with pensioner passes.

Perhaps we should wait and see what develops. Is there another registration due? Will SCC find some cash to support these?

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Yes the proposed 72A looks interesting. But that said, these changes still mean a poor frequency level of service between Redland and Centre/Broadmead. Whilst every 15 minutes during Monday-Friday daytimes is OK(that's presuming the services aren't delayed or cancelled, which often seems to be the case now!) I suppose, but on Monday-Friday evenings after 7pm, and on weekends being only every hour, well that's just ridiculous! I have completed the consultation and told them that, and that at those times/days the service frequency should be every half hour as only every hour is not very convenient atall. But I don't expect this will be implemented!

I also mentioned that there should be also be a service that runs a more direct faster route between Centre/Broadmead and Redland running via Haymarket, Stokes Croft, Cheltenham Road, Zetland Road, South Road, Redland Grove, Redland Road and then going on to terminate somewhere beyond Redland. But I don't think for a minute this will be implemented!

Will be interesting to see what happens for the September changes anyway. But I'm hoping to be out of Redland by then anyway, as the area is such a crap area for bus services compared to other parts of the city! The services have been steadily going downhill since I moved here in 2014. I prefer to live somewhere with a better bus service!

I still think that the proposed 72A should be retained as a 9 and ran in a loop so that it forms a Redland Circular - so from the city centre up Whiteladies Road to Redland Hill then Redland Road onto Cotham Grove, Cotham Road, Tyndall's Park Road and back onto Whiteladies Road towards the city centre and have the anticlockwise journeys becoming the 9A.

Before the county loses anymore bus routes, I do wonder if it'd be worthwhile having Somerset County Council split into three seperate councils (similar to Northamptonshire who had to split in two)? It'd be a lot easier on the councils to fund a basic enough service where it warrants it.