• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richard13

As we've discussed before, the 29 has oscillated in frequency. It had the hourly frequency at a number of times and also every 90 mins, but in reality, the current service pattern is what is traditionally had. I guess that two reasonably well laden journeys in the peak doesn't really suffice for buses running all day almost exclusively with pensioner passes.

Perhaps we should wait and see what develops. Is there another registration due? Will SCC find some cash to support these?

Cash in Somerset has been tight for a while. West Somerset District Council (the smallest in England at 50,000 residents) ran out of money in 2012 and has since been merged with Taunton Deane as a single council, which saves money. Somerset County Council has said they are now back to a balanced budget and have brought reserves above minimum recommended levels. They now have some flexibility to spend new money. They are re-looking at the possibility of a unitary authority for Somerset (They already provide some district council services).

The 19, 29 and 99 all have college commitments, which will need to be covered. Day time 19 (PVR=1) is run by Hatch Green Coaches as well as 97, 98 in Taunton. South West Coaches runs the 96 including the 96C to Taunton. These would seem to be the likely candidates to take on replacements.

The 99 was an original experimental route created by Somerset CC and run by Cooks Coaches (PVR =1). Stagecoach acquired it when they purchased Cooks Coaches who had expanded too far, too fast. Stagecoach tried to expand into a Somerset network based partly on Cooks area, but it was over ambitious. The remaining former Cooks Coaches routes are now in various hands, but mostly not Stagecoach.

The 29 (PVR=2) is more difficult and the Taunton end ought really to be a local service incorporating more of the new housing. The F is just 2 shopping journeys in North West Bridgwater; Hatch Green or other school provider or Somerset Transport Dept should be able to cover this.

We await developments.

D2007wsm

Established Member
I am genuinely saddened by the loss of the 29. I used to use it regularly between Wells and Taunton, and whilst it has had its frequency cut in recent years, I always thought it was otherwise a safe service. Will have to have one last go on it before April. I'm thinking a general BoS day.

In Wells this afternoon I noted one of Bridgwater's 21 livery buses working the 75, and thought it looked rather good. Also noticed some works going on at the depot, meaning many buses are parked up in the coach station over night. Any idea what work they are doing?
Currently resurfacing the yard

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Cash in Somerset has been tight for a while. West Somerset District Council (the smallest in England at 50,000 residents) ran out of money in 2012 and has since been merged with Taunton Deane as a single council, which saves money. Somerset County Council has said they are now back to a balanced budget and have brought reserves above minimum recommended levels. They now have some flexibility to spend new money. They are re-looking at the possibility of a unitary authority for Somerset (They already provide some district council services).

The 19, 29 and 99 all have college commitments, which will need to be covered. Day time 19 (PVR=1) is run by Hatch Green Coaches as well as 97, 98 in Taunton. South West Coaches runs the 96 including the 96C to Taunton. These would seem to be the likely candidates to take on replacements.

The 99 was an original experimental route created by Somerset CC and run by Cooks Coaches (PVR =1). Stagecoach acquired it when they purchased Cooks Coaches who had expanded too far, too fast. Stagecoach tried to expand into a Somerset network based partly on Cooks area, but it was over ambitious. The remaining former Cooks Coaches routes are now in various hands, but mostly not Stagecoach.

The 29 (PVR=2) is more difficult and the Taunton end ought really to be a local service incorporating more of the new housing. The F is just 2 shopping journeys in North West Bridgwater; Hatch Green or other school provider or Somerset Transport Dept should be able to cover this.

We await developments.

IIRC, the 99 was originally an improved service courtesy of RBC funding. I think there were some journeys previous to then that ran between Taunton and Buckland - about 3/4 a day. As you say, it was Cooks who were busy running everything tendered in those days, from Taunton P&R to Tiverton locals etc. IIRC, one of the people behind Hatch Green was also involved in Cooks? Stagecoach had already taken on the Chard to Yeovil service from First (61) and then developed it with 2/3 vehicles based in Chard before then taking the opportunity to buy Cooks - think this was the Hilditch era.

The service from Combe St Nicholas was the 36 than ran in the early to mid 1990s by Southern National between there and Chard/Cricket St Thomas but I think that changed before the RBC funding.

The 29 was had been a 1 vehicle service with an extra vehicle in the peaks running into to Taunton via Monkton Heathfield. RBC funding saw it go hourly, then when that ran out, First ran it every 90 mins with two vehicles. I forget the chronology but it did go hourly and First also then ran the 26 commercially, seeking to starve Webberbus of the tendered funding for that. Eventually, it settled down to its current format, running via the Creechs and Ruishton on a two hourly frequency.

Given the current focus on improving margins within First, I was surprised that Somerset hadn't had cuts last year.

Private Baxter

Established Member
IIRC, the 99 was originally an improved service courtesy of RBC funding. I think there were some journeys previous to then that ran between Taunton and Buckland - about 3/4 a day. As you say, it was Cooks who were busy running everything tendered in those days, from Taunton P&R to Tiverton locals etc. IIRC, one of the people behind Hatch Green was also involved in Cooks? Stagecoach had already taken on the Chard to Yeovil service from First (61) and then developed it with 2/3 vehicles based in Chard before then taking the opportunity to buy Cooks - think this was the Hilditch era.

The service from Combe St Nicholas was the 36 than ran in the early to mid 1990s by Southern National between there and Chard/Cricket St Thomas but I think that changed before the RBC funding.

The 29 was had been a 1 vehicle service with an extra vehicle in the peaks running into to Taunton via Monkton Heathfield. RBC funding saw it go hourly, then when that ran out, First ran it every 90 mins with two vehicles. I forget the chronology but it did go hourly and First also then ran the 26 commercially, seeking to starve Webberbus of the tendered funding for that. Eventually, it settled down to its current format, running via the Creechs and Ruishton on a two hourly frequency.

Given the current focus on improving margins within First, I was surprised that Somerset hadn't had cuts last year.
The 29 has fluctuated over the years. Twenty years ago it was a sporadic service, I think five journeys a day, to no particular pattern, but was later upped to hourly. It has, as you say been an hourly service several times, two hourly, 90 mins, and at its lowest I think it was briefly a three hourly service. Sadly Taunton will be another destination cut off from Wells now.

-Colly405-

Some have come through today (Thursday 20-Feb-2020) with changes afoot around Taunton, Bridgwater and Wells. First have cancelled Service 19 (Bridgwater - Sutton Mallet - Bridgwater) which is a college days only service. They have also cancelled Service 29 (Taunton - Wells) and Service 99 (Chard - Taunton) wef 05-Apr-2020. I guess the 99 is no great loss because the 30 provides alternative services between Chard and Taunton. Bad luck on residents on the route of the 29 though.

The changes to the X3 / X3A between Bristol and Portishead may well be a result of the consultation that First recently did on those routes. Interestingly, however, TravelineSW does not suggest any changes to that other route between Bristol and Portishead, namely the X4, the TT for which does not presently show an expiry date.

Dave
there is to be a new X3X, and the X3 is going hourly as a result.

It was a news item last night on the First Bristol site, but seems to have disappeared now.

carlberry

Established Member

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It is back now. Also the X3A will run full time on Sundays
However, only hourly so it's another stealth cut.

In the week where a load of new vehicles have appeared on the 42-45, it seems perverse to criticise but there's not much in the way of good news recently.

In the last year, there's been the headway widenings on the metrobus routes, the 75/76, the 24, the Bristol 3/4, the D2/D3 with the D3 now being axed, the 179 gone, the southern half of Bath's 3/4, the 19 off peak..... Have there been any positive service changes?

Tommy Walters

However, only hourly so it's another stealth cut.

In the week where a load of new vehicles have appeared on the 42-45, it seems perverse to criticise but there's not much in the way of good news recently.

In the last year, there's been the headway widenings on the metrobus routes, the 75/76, the 24, the Bristol 3/4, the D2/D3 with the D3 now being axed, the 179 gone, the southern half of Bath's 3/4, the 19 off peak..... Have there been any positive service changes?

I suppose you could argue the permanent daytime separation of the Bath U1/U3. Not that many non-students use either service very often!!

Whiteway215

Established Member
This may be a tracker error, but does anyone know whether 39005 really worked on the Bath U5/6 earlier today?!
39005 was in the workshops on Sunday so they probably pinched its Ticketer and stuck it on another bus without entering that ones fleet number.
32286 seems to have come back to life. On 18 today but I hadn't seen it in service since October.

Buses in Bath

39005 was in the workshops on Sunday so they probably pinched its Ticketer and stuck it on another bus without entering that ones fleet number.
32286 seems to have come back to life. On 18 today but I hadn't seen it in service since October.
Does anyone know when the e400hs and gemini 2 hevs will be back for park and ride

Tommy Walters

Anyone know why a couple of the X39 Scanias have names written in their driving cabs (36805 being "Luigi", for example). Are they just nicknames?

On a similar note, am I right in thinking at some stage there was talk of the m3 Scanias being named? If so, this idea seems to have been abandoned!

BBC

Anyone know why a couple of the X39 Scanias have names written in their driving cabs (36805 being "Luigi", for example). Are they just nicknames?

On a similar note, am I right in thinking at some stage there was talk of the m3 Scanias being named? If so, this idea seems to have been abandoned!
Every M3 gas bus has a name.

Tommy Walters

They all begin with G (for Gas?) - one’s called Gandalf. I have seen a list somewhere....

I stand corrected, I had a trip on one of them for the first time this morning (39485, named "Gizmo"). The nameplate is very easy to miss, coming simply in the form of an information style notice saying "your metrobus drivers have named this bus..". This is located just behind the driver's cab!

Also spotted 39402 with a big scratch down the side of the drivers cab (already!).