• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
Steel link deckers could be for the 172

From the 5th July bath will be doing 172s while wells focus on 173 and 174 with 174 wells to Shepton becoming every 30 mins.

376 between wells and Bristol also becomes every 15 so bath doing the 172 frees up wells drivers for increases on other routes
I hadnt noticed that, 4 buses an hour Bristol to Wells!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Still no 9 or 35 In Bristol! I have seen people commenting on Facebook asking for the 35 though.

Really? Both pensioners have been on facebook :lol:

So there looks to be 2 brand new services. The previously announced X3x and the 93x.
Is the 93X just the registration of crew shuttles? The return of the 53/54!!

-Colly405-

So there looks to be 2 brand new services. The previously announced X3x and the 93x.
That wasn't on the website yesterday, I'm sure!

Not the most helpful timetable document - 23 mins from the Bus Station to Hengrove depot with no intermediate timing points. Half hourly, 8am to 9pm Monday to *Saturday*.

Any clue as to what it is for? I think this is the first post-Covid timetable with Sat and Sun different?

freetoview33

Established Member
Really? Both pensioners have been on facebook :lol:

Is the 93X just the registration of crew shuttles? The return of the 53/54!!
People who actually need the 35 for work! It wasn't so long ago there was the plan for the 35 to be double deckers to cope with some peak flows, If it did come back at the moment it would need to be a 35X running non stop from town to Kingswood. The 9 on the other hand I can't see coming back in it's current form, only as part of the proposed 72A, although it's not perfect it will be better than no service!

93X looks to be more regular than the previous 53/54 services, not sure what the demand of the service will be though?!

On another question 1 day when this virus is over/we go fully back to normal life how many people will complain/how easy will it be for services like the 376 to go back to a normal frequency, lets be honest I doubt 15 min frequency is sustainable long term, maybe 20 mins though, but other examples like the 4 in Bristol ect.

spw24

That wasn't on the website yesterday, I'm sure!

Not the most helpful timetable document - 23 mins from the Bus Station to Hengrove depot with no intermediate timing points. Half hourly, 8am to 9pm Monday to *Saturday*.

Any clue as to what it is for? I think this is the first post-Covid timetable with Sat and Sun different?
The 93x looks like the staff shuttle which has been running into the Bus Station recently for crew changes.

D2007wsm

Established Member
I'ts about time 66720 was given a run. It's been parked up, in the overflow for 3 months. 69458 was out yesterday, for the first time in around 1 month, whilst it seems 69447 is getting a break, and has been parked up in the main depot.

Does anyone know what the fate of 32009 will be? It's been abandoned at the back of Wells' depot, so I presume, it's awaiting the scrapyard, along with the buses at Westbury.

Also some more news from Wells, B9TLs 37605, 37610 & 37771 are all back in service, whilst 37606 & 37772 still remain in the Overflow. 33664 is yet to return from Bath, 33836 is contantly having issues, 33660 seems to be having a lot of issues in regards to entering service, and 33754 is also struggling to stay in service.
32009 is currently being used as an overflow of the canteen to aid social distancing for drivers on a break.
People who actually need the 35 for work! It wasn't so long ago there was the plan for the 35 to be double deckers to cope with some peak flows, If it did come back at the moment it would need to be a 35X running non stop from town to Kingswood. The 9 on the other hand I can't see coming back in it's current form, only as part of the proposed 72A, although it's not perfect it will be better than no service!

93X looks to be more regular than the previous 53/54 services, not sure what the demand of the service will be though?!

On another question 1 day when this virus is over/we go fully back to normal life how many people will complain/how easy will it be for services like the 376 to go back to a normal frequency, lets be honest I doubt 15 min frequency is sustainable long term, maybe 20 mins though, but other examples like the 4 in Bristol ect.
The 93x looks like the staff shuttle which has been running into the Bus Station recently for crew changes.
Correct, the 93x is what is currently the Hengrove Staff Bus operating from the Bus Station to Hengrove Depot. These will be the only timing points.

The staff bus usually operates from the layby outside the Bus Station using a transit minibus, but currently because of social distancing is being operated using what ever bus is spare.

I believe, there is too be another new service introduced but timetables are yet to be published.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
People who actually need the 35 for work! It wasn't so long ago there was the plan for the 35 to be double deckers to cope with some peak flows, If it did come back at the moment it would need to be a 35X running non stop from town to Kingswood.

The 35 being converted to deckers was just part of the plan to reduce/remove SD working anyway. The peaks are because of the passenger flows between Kingswood and the city centre. From Marshfield and Wick, there aren't many passengers at all, which is why it's tendered.

laira 2

Back in the 1980’s Plymouth Citybus had a Leyland Atlantean in use as a drivers canteen in Royal Parade. There was a photo of it on Facebook a while back.
Plymouth Citybus have 433 in use as a overflow canteen in the City Centre again at this time. It is parked in the yard at the rear of the Citybus office.

freetoview33

Established Member
32009 is currently being used as an overflow of the canteen to aid social distancing for drivers on a break.

Correct, the 93x is what is currently the Hengrove Staff Bus operating from the Bus Station to Hengrove Depot. These will be the only timing points.

The staff bus usually operates from the layby outside the Bus Station using a transit minibus, but currently because of social distancing is being operated using what ever bus is spare.

I believe, there is too be another new service introduced but timetables are yet to be published.
Interesting, will it be just a temporary thing like this 93X or something permanent like the X3X

Streamr_MXP

Another thing to add, from July 5th, the 126 will be running every 90 minutes, between Wells & Weston. (According to the driver I had yesterday).
It's a shame that the 172 is going to Bath temporarily, as Bath drivers generally don't give buses a thrash, and also I presume the route will not be serving Wells, which means i'll have to return to changing routes. I do welcome those Streetdecks though, if they were to be put on the route!

Steel link deckers could be for the 172

From the 5th July bath will be doing 172s while wells focus on 173 and 174 with 174 wells to Shepton becoming every 30 mins.

376 between wells and Bristol also becomes every 15 so bath doing the 172 frees up wells drivers for increases on other routes
Once lockdown is over and this whole virus thing is over do you think the 172 will ever go back to wells?

Citistar

A contact of mine confirms that 93X is indeed the Hengrove Staff Shuttle.

While services such as 9 and 37 might cause something of an inconvenience, they don't leave any significant parts of their routes completely unserved. I'm somewhat mystified as to why First's 35 and HCT's 672 are still not pencilled in to be restored. For certain contractors, WECA seem completely disinterested in getting them to operate the services they're apparently still being paid to provide whilst others haven't missed a day for the whole duration of lockdown.

matt_splat

Interesting, will it be just a temporary thing like this 93X or something permanent like the X3X

The 93x is the hengrove staff bus but registered I'm guessing to claim back from covid substadys.

Bath to radstock becomes every 10 minutes from the 5th

Private Baxter

Established Member
I love it 32009 is a canteen!
Back in the 1980’s Plymouth Citybus had a Leyland Atlantean in use as a drivers canteen in Royal Parade. There was a photo of it on Facebook a while back.
In the late 90s and early 00s, a City Line mini bus was used at Wells depot as a staff mess area. In around 2001 a proper canteen was built into half of the workshop, which had previously been big enough to service two buses. Presumably the bus was scrapped after that.

Streamr_MXP

After looking at the 172 timetable, does anyone know where it's going to terminate/turn around? From that timetable, it seems it may be using the old "Triangle" via Downsway. By doing this, Farrington will lose their bus service to Midsomer Norton, and Paulton will lose it's connections with the 376, which does effect myself, being a frequent traveller to Wells and Bristol. Surely if it's every 20 minutes, they should return to the loop operations, running every 40 minutes in either direction, via Farrington. Also the times seem a little tight, with only 45 minutes between Paulton & Bath. Bath's drivers aren't the best when it comes to putting their foot down, so I'm expecting to see some late buses.

freetoview33

Established Member
Full list of services operating from 5th July if anyone wants to know (As things stand, a few Bristol services might still change): Took ages to go through but quite a significant increase in services across the area, which I guess is now at all but maximum working.

Bristol
1: Weekday remains every 15 mins. Weekend remains every 30 mins.
2: Weekday remains every 15 mins. Weekend remains every 30 mins.
3: Weekday remains every 30 mins. Weekend remains every 60 mins.
4: Weekday remains every 15 mins from Broadmead - Henbury with every other bus continuing to Cribbs Causeway. Weekend remains every 60 mins.
5: Weekday increases from every 60 mins to every 30 mins. Weekend increases from every 90 mins to every 60 mins.
6: Weekday remains every 30 mins. Weekend remains every 60 mins.
7: Weekday remains every 30 mins. Weekend remains every 60 mins.
8: Weekday remains every 10 mins, with some additional services in the morning and evenings. Weekend increases from every 20 mins to every 12 mins.
9: Remains no service.
17: Weekday remains every 30 mins from Southmead to Kingswood with 1 bus an hour continuing to Keynsham. Weekend remains every 60 mins.
18: Weekday service restarts every 60 mins from Bath to Kingswood. No Weekend service.
19: Weekday service remains every 60 mins. Weekend service remains every 60 mins.
22: Remains no service.
24: Weekdays change from every 15 mins Southmead Hospital - Ashton Vale and additional services every 15 mins from Lockleaze - City Centre to every 10 mins on the whole route. Weekend increases from every 30 mins to every 20 mins.
24A: Remains no service.
35: Remains no service.
36: Weekday service remains every 30 mins. Weekend service remains every 60 mins.
37: Remains no service.
39: Weekday daytime services withdrawn, remains in evening with later trips. Weekend increases from every 30 mins to every 15 mins.
X39: Weekday increases from every 20 mins to every 15 mins, with peaks increasing from every 15 mins to every 12 mins. No Weekend services.
42: Weekday remains every 60 mins. Weekend remains every 60 mins.
42A: Remains no service.
43: Weekday service every 10 mins, with 1 additional City Centre - Kingswood bus per hour (Used to be 42A service). Saturday service every 15 mins, every other bus terminates at Kingswood. Sunday service remains every 30 mins.
44: Weekday remains every 30 mins. Weekend remains every 60 mins.
45: Weekday remains 4 buses per hour City Centre - Longwell Green with 2 buses continuing to Cadbury Heath. Saturdays remains 3 buses per hour City Centre - Longwell Green with 1 bus continuing to Cadbury Heath. Sundays remain every 60 mins.
48: Weekday remains every 20 mins. Saturdays remain every 15 mins City Centre - Fishponds, with every other bus continuing to Emersons Green. Sundays remain every 30 mins.
48A: Weekday remains every 20 mins. No Weekend Service.
49: Weekday remains every 20 mins. Weekend remains every 30 mins.
X49: Remains no service.
70: Weekday increases from every 20 mins to every 15 mins. Weekend increase from every 30 mins to every 20 mins.
71: Remains no service.
72: Weekday remains every 30 mins. Weekend remains every 60 mins.
73: Weekday remains every 15 mins Bristol Temple Meads - Bristol Parkway with every other bus continuing to Cribbs Causeway. Weekend remains every 60 mins.
75: Weekday remains every 15 mins from Hengrove - Cribbs Causeway, with additional services every 15 mins Bedminster Parade - Filton. Weekend increases from every 30 mins to every 20 mins.
76: Weekday remains every 15 mins. Weekend increases from every 30 mins to every 20 mins.
90: Weekday remains every 15 mins. Weekend remains every 30 mins.
91: Weekday remains every 40 mins. Weekend remains every 60 mins.
92: Weekday remains every 30 mins. Weekend remains every 60 mins.
93X: Monday - Saturday new service every 30 mins Hengrove Depot - Bristol Bus Station (Formalisation of Driver shuttle)
96: Weekday remains every 120 mins. No Weekend Service.
177: Weekday remains 3 trips each way, although timing is changed. No Weekend Service.
178: Weekday increases from every 120 mins to every 60 mins. No Weekend Service.
349: Weekday remains every 30 mins. No Weekend Service.
376: Weekday increases from every 30 mins Bristol - Wells, with every other bus continuing to Street, to every 15 mins Bristol - Wells, with every other bus continuing to Street. Weekend increases from every 60 mins to every 15 mins.
A1: Remains no Service.
A2: Weekend remains every 30 mins, although service becomes 24 hours. Weekend service reintroduced every 30 mins.
T1: Weekday peak increases from every 30 mins to every 15 mins, off peak increases from every 60 mins to every 30 mins. Weekend increases from every 60 mins to every 30 mins.
T2: Weekday remains every 120 mins. Weekend remains every 120 mins.
U1: Remains no service.
U2: Remains no service.
X1: Weekday increases from every 30 mins to every 15 mins. Weekend increase from every 60 mins to every 30 mins.
X1X: Weekday service restarts every 30 mins. Weekend service restarts every 30 mins.
X2: Weekday increases from every 120 mins to every 60 mins. No Weekend Service.
X3: Weekday remains every 60 mins. Weekend service restarts every 60 mins.
X3A: Weekday services remains mornings and evenings every 30 mins, with a few additional evening services in Portishead. Weekend service changed from every 60 mins all day to every 60 mins evening only.
X3X: Weekday new service every 30 mins Bristol Bus Station to Portishead (Via Portway). No Weekend Service.
X4: Weekday remains every 60 mins, with duplicates from Pill to Bristol. Weekend service restarts every 60 mins.
X6: Weekday remains every 60 mins, but now with services between 09:45 and 13:45. Weekend No Service.
X7: Weekday remains every 60 mins. Weekend remains every 60 mins.
X8: Weekday remains every 90 mins. Weekend No Service.
X9: Weekday increases from every 60 mins to every 30 mins. Weekend service increases from every 60 mins to every 30 mins.
Y1: Weekday peak increases from every 30 mins to every 20 mins, off peak increases from every 60 mins to every 30 mins. Weekend increases from every 60 mins to every 30 mins.
Y2: Weekday remains every 120 mins. Weekend remains every 120 mins.
Y3: Weekday remains every 120 mins. No Weekend service.
Y4: Weekday increases from every 60 mins to every 30 mins. Weekend increases from every 120 mins to every 60 mins.
Y5: Weekday remains every 120 mins. Weekend remains every 120 mins. Shows new timetable which at the moment is identical to the current one.
Y6: Weekday increases from every 120 mins to every 60 mins, with every other bus terminating at Yate. Weekend remains every 120 mins.
M1: Weekday remains every 15 mins. Weekend remains every 30 mins.
M2: Weekday increases from every 20 mins to every 15 mins. No Weekend Serivce.
M3: Remains no Service.
M3X: Weekday remains every 30 mins. Weekend remains every 60 mins.
Brislington P&R: Weekday increases from every 20 mins to every 7.5 mins peak and every 10 mins off peak. No Weekend serivce.
Portway P&R: Weekday increases from every 20 mins to every 12 mins peak and every 15 mins off peak. Weekend increases from every 30 mins to every 20 mins.

Bath
1: Weekday increases from every 15 mins to every 7 mins. Weekend increases from every 30 mins to every 10 mins. Moves from Bath Bus Station to Ambury.
2: Weekday increases from every 30 mins to every 15 mins. Weekend remains at every 30 mins and gets later services. Moves from Bath Bus Station onto Dorchester Street.
3: Weekday increases from every 20 mins to every 15 mins. Weekend remains at every 30 mins. Moves from Bath Bus Station onto Dorchester Street.
3A: Reintroduced weekdays every 15 mins. Operates via Dorchester Street.
4: Weekday increases from every 20 mins to every 15 mins. Weekend increases from every 30 mins to every 20 mins. Moves from Bath Bus Station to Broad Quay.
5: Weekday increases from every 15 mins to every 8 mins. With shorts to and from Lower Bristol Road every 8 mins (Every 4 mins combined). Weekend increases from every 20 mins to every 15 mins. Moves from Bath Bus Station to Ambury.
6: Weekday remains at every 30 mins. Moves from Bath Bus Station to Dorchester Street.
6A: Weekend every 30 mins day time, and every 60 mins all week on evenings, with evening weekend services introduced. Moves from Bath Bus Station to Dorchester Street.
7: Weekday remains at every 30 mins. Moves from Bath Bus Station to Dorchester Street.
8: Weekday increases from every 40 mins to every 20 mins. Weekend remains at every 40 mins but gains an evening service. Moves from Dorchester Street to Bath Bus Station.
9: Remains no service.
11: Weekday remains every 60 mins. No Weekend service. Moves from Manvers Street to Dorchester Street.
12: Weekday remains every 60 mins. No Weekend service. Moves from Manvers Street to Dorchester Street.
20: Weekday remains every 120 mins. No Weekend services. Moves from Manvers Street to Dorchester Street.
21: Weekday remains every 15 mins. Weekend increases from every 30 mins to every 15 mins. Operates via Westgate Buildings.
31: Weekday remains every 15 mins. Weekend increases from every 30 mins to every 15 mins. Operates via Milsom Street.
41: Weekday remains every 15 mins. Weekend increases from every 30 mins to every 15 mins. Moves from South Gate to Ambury.
42: Weekday is now a clockface every 30 mins. Additional services at some points in the day. No Weekend Services.
172: Weekday changes from every 60 mins Bath - Wells to every 20 mins Bath - Paulton. With an additional service every 60 mins Bath - Radstock. New Weekend service 2 buses per hour Bath - Paulton. Remains at Bath Bus Station.
173: Weekday remains every 60 mins. No Weekend Services. Remains at Bath Bus Station.
174: Weekday Bath - Wells remains every 60 mins, with additional Wells - Shepton Mallet services every 60 mins. Weekend remains every 60 mins. Remains At Bath Bus Station.
D1: Weekday remains every 60 mins Bath - Warminster, with every 120 mins to Salisbury. Weekend services remain every 60 mins. Remains at Bath Bus Station, looks like it is no longer on the diversion either.
D1X: Weekday increases from every 60 mins at peaks to every 60 mins all day. No Weekend services. Remains at Bath Bus Station.
D2: Weekday increases from every 60 mins to every 30 mins. Weekend services remain every 60 mins, but with earlier and later services. Remains at Bath Bus Station.
U1: Weekdays increases from every 20 mins to every 15 mins. Weekend increases from every 40 mins to every 20 mins. Service remains at Bath Bus Station.
U2: Weekdays remains every 60 mins. No Weekend Service. Shows new timetable which at the moment is identical to the current one.
U3: Remains no service.
U5: Weekday remains every 60 mins. No Weekend service. Moves from Bath Bus Station to St James' Parade.
U6: Remains no service.
R2: Remains no service.

Bath to Wells sees a drop from 3bph to 2bph.

Weston
1: Weekday increases from every 120 mins to every 30 mins. Weekend services restarts at every 30 mins.
3: Weekday increases from every 20 mins to every 15 mins. Weekend service remains every 30 mins.
5: Weekday remains at every 60 mins. Weekend service remains every 120 mins.
7: Weekday increases from every 20 mins to every 10 mins, with later services. Weekend service remains every 30 mins, with later services.
20: Weekday increases from every 120 mins to every 30 mins. Weekend increases from every 120 mins to every 30 mins.
126: Weekday increases from every 180 mins to every 90 mins. Weekend services restarts at every 90 mins.
A3: Remains no service.
X5: Weekday increases from every 120 mins to every 60 mins. Weekend service restarts every 180 mins. (Still just Weston to Portishead)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
After looking at the 172 timetable, does anyone know where it's going to terminate/turn around? From that timetable, it seems it may be using the old "Triangle" via Downsway. By doing this, Farrington will lose their bus service to Midsomer Norton, and Paulton will lose it's connections with the 376, which does effect myself, being a frequent traveller to Wells and Bristol. Surely if it's every 20 minutes, they should return to the loop operations, running every 40 minutes in either direction, via Farrington. Also the times seem a little tight, with only 45 minutes between Paulton & Bath. Bath's drivers aren't the best when it comes to putting their foot down, so I'm expecting to see some late buses.

Don't know if Bath drivers are any slower than Wells drivers but those times look tight for any driver especially as traffic levels increase.

Appreciate that you may be inconvenienced but I guess that Farrington losing it's Bath/MSN link is perhaps a small loss amongst the wide number of considerations.

-Colly405-

The 93x is the hengrove staff bus but registered I'm guessing to claim back from covid substadys.
What I don't get about the 93x is that surely the staffing levels for Hengrove routes are the same on Saturdays and Sundays, as the timetables are the same on both days? Yet the 93x doesn't run on Sundays. Is it that it runs "privately" on Sundays instead? And if so, why would they do that? Genuine questions from someone not in the industry...