• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Whiteway215

Established Member
Hi,
Went to Wells today from Street and noted 33831/834 on 376 with 33836/837 on the Romans and 33839/857 on Wells depot. 32338 on loan also on a Roman.
Cheers, Mike
Thanks for your reports on which of 33831-40/57 are on the Wells allocation. I had thought a couple were still officially at Bath but wasn’t sure. When I looked on Steve’s website under W of E depot allocations it says they are all there so was a bit confused!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

-Colly405-

Extra seats so you can have every row available but just the window seat (unless you're with someone from your household).
A different approach to Stagecoach who are recommending leaving the seat immediately in front, behind and adjacent empty. So window seat in one row, aisle seat in the next, etc.

Buses in Bath

A different approach to Stagecoach who are recommending leaving the seat immediately in front, behind and adjacent empty. So window seat in one row, aisle seat in the next, etc.
That is the same on First buses. Its alternate in every row and if it's a double decker then the front seats are both free as there are only stairs behind.

Streamr_MXP

20200711_125726.jpg
It was nice to have this on the 39 to Keynesham. It made a change from he usual Scania
20200711_122834.jpg
It was also nice to have a Scania on the 172. This bus did very well, and much better than the ADL MMCs.

It seems Bath are pushing put older fleet today, with 2 B9tls, 1 scania and 1 enviro on the 172, and 2 Gemini 2s, 2 B7tls and possibly more that I am yet to see

Private Baxter

Established Member
Anyone know whether it's just the seats that have been done, or have USBs also been installed?

From my observations from photos, the Citylines 3/4 examples & 37335 have not had a refurb!
I THINK that the buses now being used on 24 had not had an internal refurb since new in 2009, whereas the slightly older ones now being used on 3/4 had e-leather seats fitted in around 2012, having previously had old style First moquette, though I am by no means certain of that.

swifty

Established Member
I THINK that the buses now being used on 24 had not had an internal refurb since new in 2009, whereas the slightly older ones now being used on 3/4 had e-leather seats fitted in around 2012, having previously had old style First moquette, though I am by no means certain of that.

The ‘09 reg batch were trimmed in e-leather at the same time as the rest of the Bristol Gemini’s (that were done) as First received funding towards that and next stop equipment. IIRC the ‘58/‘09 batch had the newer style all purple moquette, which was still under the e-leather, rather than the traditional ‘barbie’ moquette that the ‘57 reg B9s were delivered with.

It hasn’t worn as well on the ‘09 batch used on the X39 compared to those used on city work.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The ‘09 reg batch were trimmed in e-leather at the same time as the rest of the Bristol Gemini’s (that were done) as First received funding towards that and next stop equipment. IIRC the ‘58/‘09 batch had the newer style all purple moquette, which was still under the e-leather, rather than the traditional ‘barbie’ moquette that the ‘57 reg B9s were delivered with.

It hasn’t worn as well on the ‘09 batch used on the X39 compared to those used on city work.
The 58 and 09 ones were treated with the exception of those used on the 903. Some of the ex Bath P&R Geminis similarly missed out too.

Whiteway215

Established Member
33673/77/91/711/15/16/19/21/22/31/37/43/52/53 were received from First Manchester/Diamond in May but anyone know which of these have actually entered service?

lx12ddo

33673/77/91/711/15/16/19/21/22/31/37/43/52/53 were received from First Manchester/Diamond in May but anyone know which of these have actually entered service?
Back in June, I saw 715, 721, 722 and 753 for certain all in service on the 3/4/19 routes.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Good to see the increase in capacity today. A lot of the buses have had the seating changes to window seat - ailse seat - window seat etc. Not all though have the new stickers on the outside advertising the new capacity, though if the seats have been changed the Ticketer should also have been done.

A couple of observations I have noticed today:

- Streetlites can now carry 16
- The P&R E400MMC I seen had a sticker showing it can carry 36.

I didn’t see any B7TLs, B9s, E400s, Scania E400s or gas buses with a new sticker.

The X3x destinations have been updated so now correctly show ‘X3x Portishead’ on the side rather than ‘X1x Portishead’

D2007wsm

Established Member
Are 32222 32223 and 33156 in store at WM?
33156 is withdrawn as it went bang at the start of the year.

I don’t know about. 32222/3. You would have thought they would be being used due to needing as many deckers as possible. None of the Presidents either Trident or Volvo B7TL have been out since March, except for 32225 which was on the 3 in Bristol on 06 July. Unless of course it was another bus masquerading as 32225 by using its Ticketer.

In other news, South Glos Lynx B7RLE 69448 has been out and about today on the X8 and X9 and is able to carry 20 passengers.

Whiteway215

Established Member
33156 is withdrawn as it went bang at the start of the year.

I don’t know about. 32222/3. You would have thought they would be being used due to needing as many deckers as possible. None of the Presidents either Trident or Volvo B7TL have been out since March, except for 32225 which was on the 3 in Bristol on 06 July. Unless of course it was another bus masquerading as 32225 by using its Ticketer.

In other news, South Glos Lynx B7RLE 69448 has been out and about today on the X8 and X9 and is able to carry 20 passengers.
Thanks for that. I see Steve is reporting 33061/2/4 are withdrawn so perhaps FWE are taking the opportunity to retire all Tridents? Just a thought.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Thanks for that. I see Steve is reporting 33061/2/4 are withdrawn so perhaps FWE are taking the opportunity to retire all Tridents? Just a thought.
33156 was only withdrawn because it died, if it hadn’t it would still be out plying it’s trade on the Coaster 1 and 20. It had a fairly recent paint job. You never know, they may rob the broken bits off of a Trident at Hengrove to get it back out on the road.

32222/3 are slightly different as they are Volvo B7TLs just with President body, rather than a ALX400 or Wright Gemini body. There are plenty of B7TLs still about, a lot resident to Weston e.g. the Badgerline and Coaster fleets. If they have been withdrawn, I would say it is down to the non-standard body rather than the chasis type.

I wonder if we will see some repaints in Weston? Some ALX400s into Coaster blue and orange to supplement the existing fleet, some 323** Geminis into Badgerline for the 3 and also some Streetlites into Badgerline for the 5 as the Darts are rumoured not to return.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
33156 was only withdrawn because it died, if it hadn’t it would still be out plying it’s trade on the Coaster 1 and 20. It had a fairly recent paint job. You never know, they may rob the broken bits off of a Trident at Hengrove to get it back out on the road.

32222/3 are slightly different as they are Volvo B7TLs just with President body, rather than a ALX400 or Wright Gemini body. There are plenty of B7TLs still about, a lot resident to Weston e.g. the Badgerline and Coaster fleets. If they have been withdrawn, I would say it is down to the non-standard body rather than the chasis type.

I wonder if we will see some repaints in Weston? Some ALX400s into Coaster blue and orange to supplement the existing fleet, some 323** Geminis into Badgerline for the 3 and also some Streetlites into Badgerline for the 5 as the Darts are rumoured not to return.

33156 wouldn't be the first vehicle to get a recent repaint and then be disposed of; 31143/6/32225 managed just six months in their new colours! In fact 33156 managed two repaints in under two years, being treated to Slowcoaster in 2017 before getting Coaster in early 2019.

Might be more a case of wait and see what happens with government guidelines on social distancing etc on buses before anything else gets a repaint?

Whiteway215

Established Member
Anyone know whether 32670 was supposed to go to Kernow? It still seems to be lingering around on HE routes currently!
Back around January Kernow issued a list of Geminis they were expecting from West of England. The list included 32670 but there seems to have been a change of plan. I believe 37181 may have been substituted but others will know if that is correct.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
An interesting press release from First WoE https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-...ws/bus-driver-jobs-saved-deal-between-bristol

Bus driver jobs have been protected following talks between Bristol Airport and First West of England. This comes as airport bus services are reduced due to a significant drop in demand for air travel, during the coronavirus outbreak.

The arrangement, facilitated by Unite the Union, will see almost 70 drivers across external and internal airport bus routes reallocated to operate on First Bus services in Bristol.

Following a unique agreement with Bristol Airport, First West of England will temporarily employ 25 airport drivers, who usually operate the internal shuttle buses to and from the airport car parks.

The contract will run until the Spring 2021, when demand for air travel is expected to increase and the drivers will return to work on their airport duties once again.

Bus drivers who operate the Airport Flyer services have also been able to transfer across to driving other bus routes in Bristol and Weston-super-Mare, following the announcement that the A1 (Bristol Bus Station - Bristol Airport) and A3 (Weston-super-Mare - Bristol Airport) are expected to be suspended until January 2021.

With this move, First West of England aims to ensure the drivers can continue to work, whilst providing support on busier routes across the region, as more people start to use public transport again following the Government’s easing of the lockdown restrictions.

Brett Sparkes, South West Regional Officer at Unite the Union said: “We are delighted to have worked alongside Bristol Airport and First Bus to ensure that our members livelihoods’ are secured.

“This agreement will ensure that, in an extremely worrying time for the Aviation sector, these workers can be certain that they will remain in employment. Once again it shows that working with Unite can deliver the best results for the employers, the general public and the workers.”

Debbie Hartshorn, People Director at Bristol Airport said: “It is a difficult time for the aviation industry and Bristol Airport, along with all businesses in the aviation, aerospace and travel sectors, has been badly hit by the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. We believe it will take at least 3 years to achieve recovery to 2019 passenger numbers.

“Working in collaboration with First and Unite the Union we are pleased that our bus drivers are able to be temporarily seconded to assist First providing vital public transport services and thereby mitigating job losses.”

James Freeman, Managing Director at First West of England said: “By working with Bristol Airport and Unite the Union, we’re really pleased to have been able to find alternative positions for a total of almost 70 bus drivers, who in normal times would operate airport dedicated services only. By working together, we have been able to keep people working and ensure that local bus services will operate reliably.

“As a bus operator, our challenge has been to transform our services quickly in response to the coronavirus outbreak. This partnership with Bristol Airport enables us to redeploy drivers to where they are needed most, to provide additional support and flexibility as we get our services back up and moving again safely for the region.”

Bus services will continue to operate for customers flying via Bristol Airport: the airport car park shuttle service will run on a reduced timetable, whilst customers travelling to and from the airport can use First West of England’s regular A2 route, which runs between the City Centre, Temple Meads Station, Bedminster and Bristol Airport.

Very innovative idea to provide First with bus drivers temporarily which is to be applauded, as well as supporting the Airport Flyer drivers.

Wonder if the A1 buses might also now be redeployed in the interim?

D2007wsm

Established Member
The drivers on the A3 route already did work other than the A3. They were on a separate rota but were on the same contract and pay rate as the rest of the Weston drivers. As well as A3s they regularly did the Weston 3 and when on a spare week, could do anything. They were not given the choice, they were just given normal duties.

The A1 drivers however, were on different contracts and pay rate to the rest of Hengrove and A1s were all they did. So these drivers have been given the choice to go onto city work.

I do not know whether the A1 Scania E400s and the A3 E200MMCs are able to be redeployed elsewhere. The A1 deckers in particular would be very useful elsewhere and a perfect addition to the X1 and X1x lol

An interesting press release from First WoE https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-...ws/bus-driver-jobs-saved-deal-between-bristol

Very innovative idea to provide First with bus drivers temporarily which is to be applauded, as well as supporting the Airport Flyer drivers.

Wonder if the A1 buses might also now be redeployed in the interim?