• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
Looking at comments online about bookmybusride its very mixed I'd say as of last night is was 45% positive vs 55% negative.
Are any of the negative comments actually relvant or are they the usual 'my bus was 10 minutes late today so I threatened the driver as it must have been his fault' type?

henairs

Looking at comments online about bookmybusride its very mixed I'd say as of last night is was 45% positive vs 55% negative.
Can see the book ahead being useful in the peak periods (if they still exist) but for folk like me who come from afar later in the day I would just chance turn up and go method as don't get up Bristol until 1230 ish and leave by mid afternoon so buses should be free from commuters and just leisure/shopper travellers.
It's a bit like the peak period on the railways when we commuted to work but now things are changing in an uncertain world so only time will tell.
Give it a go, see if it works then take it from there.
Cheers, Mike R

Martin2012

New timetables from 2nd August are now up on the First website and something noticeable is that the services to Yate and Thornbury all seem to be getting cut back on a Sunday with later first journeys and earlier last journeys than under the present timetables on Y4, Y5 and Y6. Last journey from Bristol to Yate on the Y2 is also 2 hours earlier than at present and T2 doesn't seem to be running at all on Sundays.

Presumably it comes down to usage but why did they run a more enhanced Sunday timetable during the full lockdown period when virtually nothing was open and the vast vast majority of the traveling public were being told to stay at home and avoid public transport and now that more of the economy has opened up, are they reducing services at this time?

freetoview33

Established Member
New timetables from 2nd August are now up on the First website and something noticeable is that the services to Yate and Thornbury all seem to be getting cut back on a Sunday with later first journeys and earlier last journeys than under the present timetables on Y4, Y5 and Y6. Last journey from Bristol to Yate on the Y2 is also 2 hours earlier than at present and T2 doesn't seem to be running at all on Sundays.

Presumably it comes down to usage but why did they run a more enhanced Sunday timetable during the full lockdown period when virtually nothing was open and the vast vast majority of the traveling public were being told to stay at home and avoid public transport and now that more of the economy has opened up, are they reducing services at this time?
All services are going back to seperate Sunday timetables. So most see a rediction in service

freetoview33

Established Member
Makes sense although some of those temporary changes on the Yate corridor were quite positive eg earlier journeys to Cribbs and Southmead on a Sunday.
I fully understand why, I just wished if there was the possibility of some temporary funding they kept it going to see if it was viable!

D2007wsm

Established Member
The timetables on a Sunday have gone back more in align with the regular Sunday service. The reason there were earlier buses was because the same timetable was also being used on a Saturday when earlier buses operate.

Even though funding maybe available at present for local bus services, this would be given based on previous data taken from the Ticketer. If the data shows the patronage of the service to be low, the service will be deemed as not worthwhile running and funding not provided.

Cesarcollie

The timetables on a Sunday have gone back more in align with the regular Sunday service. The reason there were earlier buses was because the same timetable was also being used on a Saturday when earlier buses operate.

Even though funding maybe available at present for local bus services, this would be given based on previous data taken from the Ticketer. If the data shows the patronage of the service to be low, the service will be deemed as not worthwhile running and funding not provided.

That’s not how CBSSG works. Essentially it will fund services up to their pre-Covid levels, albeit with a cap such that the operator can only break even, not make a profit. There is no ‘worthwhile’ test - albeit an operator may choose not to run something, or run it at a lesser frequency.

Cesarcollie

That’s not how CBSSG works. Essentially it will fund services up to their pre-Covid levels, albeit with a cap such that the operator can only break even, not make a profit. There is no ‘worthwhile’ test - albeit an operator may choose not to run something, or run it at a lesser frequency.

Sorry - CBSSG = Coronavirus Bus Service Support Grant

CD

I think also that 69447 & 69457 have swapped with each other, with 69444 going back to Bath as well. I reckon this could well be to make things easier numerically!
69444 failed on the 126 on Sunday and was replaced by one of Weston`s streetlites (47561?).
Good to see 69437 back after such a long time.

freetoview33

Established Member
Is the pre covid frequency or pre covid capacity or something else?

CD

Must have transferred then!
There are several vehicles on loan from Bath to Wells, due to not receiving all the ex Bolton E400s yet, and general repairs which require Bath depots attention . Some stay weeks, others only for a day.

D2007wsm

Established Member
66934 is now in Weston painted in plain bright yellow. Presumably this is a new colour scheme for the training fleet doing away with the red.

D2007wsm

Established Member
xug
66940 in Bath in this new trainer livery
No one knows, I’ve just seen a photo of it painted plain bright yellow. It has been said in ‘The Word’ that the new training fleet will have a new colour scheme.

It was suggested this may be a repaint for the new 126 brand, but from when I seen a design for this it was green.

Tommy Walters

No one knows, I’ve just seen a photo of it painted plain bright yellow. It has been said in ‘The Word’ that the new training fleet will have a new colour scheme.

It was suggested this may be a repaint for the new 126 brand, but from when I seen a design for this it was green.

I thought Green & Red to imply "Strawberry Route"

I guess maybe 66720, 66732, 69457 & 69458 are favourites to receive this, given their higher spec interiors?

D2007wsm

Established Member
I thought Green & Red to imply "Strawberry Route"

I guess maybe 66720, 66732, 69457 & 69458 are favourites to receive this, given their higher spec interiors?
It was green with strawberries I seem to recall, more akin to the National Bus Company green than any green used elsewhere on anything else e.g. Badgerline and Citylines 24/73. This would also hark back to the railway origins being a similar shade to GWR Brunswick Green.

I don’t know which buses will be treated. It’s a shame 1 more 69*** cannot be found as it is a PVR of 3. Perhaps 69448 could be a candidate as it is certainly an oddball now at Lawrence Hill. No other 69***s left and everything now deckered, except for the X8 which should be an excel Streetlite.

Wells could then have an Urban B7RLE to act as spare on these or any Mendip Explorer route and Weston could use a Streetlite. Wells could even have have one of the mTicket Streetlites as spare.

The 126 would have been a perfect home for some of the Streetlite Max’s, the X5 would also be good as it’s loadings doesn’t warrant deckers apart from the college trips. They would even be good on the X8, but the usual interworking with the X2 would preclude this.