• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

martyjon

I think another discover bus has been fire damaged. Not sure which one but the fire brigade was called to Bath bus station this morning.

There a picture on twitter, 2 fire engines in attendance with fireman examining a discover bus. The picture seems to be taken from rail station

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
For the first time since February, I ventured out onto a bus yesterday. In fact, with chores to do and being encouraged to eat out to help the economy etc, I decided to make a day of it so with facemask, sanitising gel etc, I stepped out and into the new normal. Here's my observations and the like.... I hope it's of interest.

I began my day, realised I left my phone at home with the First mticket on it so returned and began again! Phone retrieved, we could start and I have to say that the First app is now very reliable and so the mticket scanned and the bus capacity feature was accurate... it was a very lightly loaded trip to Wells on e400 33838. One guy on the top deck not wearing his mask but when granny and granddaughter appeared, he soon had it in place! It's been a while since I've been on any bus but haven't been on the 173 for a long time. I'd forgotten how lovely it is as we wandered through Binegar and via the Horringtons.

Some chores and a coffee in Wells and a short trip to Street on the 376. B7TL 32338 duly arrived and was sanitised by some youngish chap in the bus station. Sadly, the interior condition was deplorable. Yes, the sanitising does provide confidence but then you see just how filthy the interior is anyway. We hoovered along and good lord, the ear piercing squeaking in the lower saloon was terrible. The now common social distancing diversions are in place in Glastonbury so much of the town centre is not served by it, with the closest stop being B&Q which is not a good thing. At Street, I again showed my commitment to commerce by indulging in some shopping in Clarks Village, buying some rather cheap branded stuff as retailers desperately try to drum up trade.

Shopping was easy so having over bought but not overspent in quick time, it meant I could catch the tendered 668 to Cheddar, operated by a small Solo of Libra Travel. With a capacity now of 6, I had some reservations but paid my £3.70 and we maxed out at 5 on the journey. It's small dimensions meant it could actually serve the centre of Glastonbury as we very nearly traversed every road in the town (or so it felt) as we headed around Windmill Hill, passing a BoS Streetlite still in dealer white. We then bounced across the Levels on unforgiving seats via Wedmore and into Cheddar. Here it was a short stop before catching the still reduced 126, operated by Eclipse 69457 having a return to Wells depot and having been shorn of its Mendip Explorer ID if not the livery. Noticed that the seat cushions and headrests were beginning to fray.... it's only been 3 years since refurb!

Into Wells and straight onto the 376 north in the hands of 33667. Now unlike 69457 (and newly repainted 33838), this has been a Wells vehicle for some time. It's in ME livery but internally, there's none of the promo vinyls that used to adorn the Eclipses and Streetdecks. Even before Covid, I found the treatment of the Mendip Explorer routes slightly perplexing.... It used to be better than it is now but even then, there weren't branded stops. The brand's been removed from the 178 after 6 months and is now to be removed from the 126. It doesn't feel as coherent or strategic as it seemed - it seems more just a livery at the moment. 33667 coped with the Bristol Hill perfectly well and like 33838, the e400s seem fine on these routes. Again a whinge but think that these would benefit from a refurb, perhaps more beneficial than the recent 24 refurbs?

I got off at White Cross and then caught the 171 to Paulton, a short hop on Bath unibus 33946, so I could catch the newly deckered 178 to Keynsham. Now here's the thing... I've yet to be on a 178 in normal times that required anything larger than an Eclipse. A decker isn't required but.... what a lovely journey on B9 37346. I live locally and must've driven that route many times but on a pleasant day, it was a different perspective and was a just delightful. No issues with trees either except a few branches leaving Farmborough.

After a much needed food stop in Keynsham (thanks Rishi), I wandered out to catch the 18 to Bath. Was able to hear complaints about missing 349s and also complaints on the A4 with confusion on the short workings. At that point, an Abus Spectra appeared (53 plate) looking very smart externally but peering through the windows showed that these are now very careworn. Again, I wonder how long Abus will continue before a well earned retirement beckons? My next steed was one of the few ex Glasgow machines still about in 32544. Now, compared to 32338 earlier which is a whole year older....this was superb for its age. Hardly a rattle, not bad condition, quite tidy, and it seemed to go well without the full Dyson effect.

Then into Bath and something for the bus enthusiast etiquette thread. I wandered over to Broad Quay to catch the 3. There were two spotters photographing away. It was comical, as they were in perfect synchronisation. A bus would come around the corner, they'd raise their cameras and snap, then immediately check the image and return back to standing looking bored until the next bus rounded the corner....unless it was a Solo as they just didn't bother with those. I assume they think they're not "proper buses".

I had a plan to go to Combe Down and then enjoy a trip back on the 2 to enjoy the scenery of the city, with 33832 doing the honours. I have to say that the e400 is probably more suited to the city. First stopped buying B9s in 2012 and even then, it was one batch of 100 that has now been cast across the UK with just 7 in Bath so whilst I'd prefer Volvos on country routes, the scope to do so just isn't there. We made our way and I got off just as 33832 entered Foxhill so I could walk to Mulberry Park just in time to see my Solo driving off! Rather than waiting 25 mins in the rather smart new development, I checked to see that the U2 was due. I was getting nervous as the phone was down to 4% but 66720 turned up! I got on and discovered the USBs weren't working and so it was actually draining the battery. I was down to 3% but thought I'd be ok as I did the short hop to the Red Lion. Incidentally, someone has gone to the trouble of making a printed notice that reads "Granny Mendip" above the driver.

Last bus for the day was 33950 from Odd Down to MSN. This one goes well and the USBs were working; is this now a human right to have USBs??? As always, these e400MMCs squeak like hell; is it the dual door design? It seemed to cope with Dunkerton fine, the only issue on the journey being how long these are when turning in Westfield to head to Norton Hill. Sadly, you can also see the peak hour congestion beginning to return.

However, I've hopefully survived the day. The face mask adherence was pretty good especially with the yoof who get blamed for all Covid non-compliance. Aside from the first trip where the bloke hastily put his mask in place, the only other exemptions were one pensioner towards Street who wasn't wearing it over his nose, and in Radstock where someone stated they had lung and breathing issues so were exempted. Other than that, an interesting excursion into the new normal.... I hope it's interesting enough for you.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Notice a couple of buses have been off for quite some time. Obviously older ones haven't been out since lockdown but even some newer ones. 2918 (31st January), 32352/4 since March, 33571 (26th June), 33955 (27th June), 35109 (3rd April) and 35147 hasn't been out since 27th January!

@TheGrandWazoo - great report!

fgwrich

Established Member
I see poor old 30873 has now been taken away from Bath Depot by Ensign according to Ross Newman’s official monthly list for July. 30873 was acquired from Kernow in July 2018 but never entered service allegedly because of corrosion but which has provided spares and a fair chunk of its bodywork to keep similar ALX400s going.

Wouldn't surprise me looking at this photo of it in February.

Whiteway215

Established Member

Marcus Fryer

Seen a 2A this morning with Brentry Charlton Road Junction on the destination display again. Anyone know if they are actually terminating/starting there, or running along Charlton Road and terminating/starting at the lay-by like they should be doing?
They are definitely running to/from the layby. Whether they are carrying passengers beyond the junction I don't know.

Tommy Walters

For the first time since February, I ventured out onto a bus yesterday. In fact, with chores to do and being encouraged to eat out to help the economy etc, I decided to make a day of it so with facemask, sanitising gel etc, I stepped out and into the new normal. Here's my observations and the like.... I hope it's of interest.

I began my day, realised I left my phone at home with the First mticket on it so returned and began again! Phone retrieved, we could start and I have to say that the First app is now very reliable and so the mticket scanned and the bus capacity feature was accurate... it was a very lightly loaded trip to Wells on e400 33838. One guy on the top deck not wearing his mask but when granny and granddaughter appeared, he soon had it in place! It's been a while since I've been on any bus but haven't been on the 173 for a long time. I'd forgotten how lovely it is as we wandered through Binegar and via the Horringtons.

Some chores and a coffee in Wells and a short trip to Street on the 376. B7TL 32338 duly arrived and was sanitised by some youngish chap in the bus station. Sadly, the interior condition was deplorable. Yes, the sanitising does provide confidence but then you see just how filthy the interior is anyway. We hoovered along and good lord, the ear piercing squeaking in the lower saloon was terrible. The now common social distancing diversions are in place in Glastonbury so much of the town centre is not served by it, with the closest stop being B&Q which is not a good thing. At Street, I again showed my commitment to commerce by indulging in some shopping in Clarks Village, buying some rather cheap branded stuff as retailers desperately try to drum up trade.

Shopping was easy so having over bought but not overspent in quick time, it meant I could catch the tendered 668 to Cheddar, operated by a small Solo of Libra Travel. With a capacity now of 6, I had some reservations but paid my £3.70 and we maxed out at 5 on the journey. It's small dimensions meant it could actually serve the centre of Glastonbury as we very nearly traversed every road in the town (or so it felt) as we headed around Windmill Hill, passing a BoS Streetlite still in dealer white. We then bounced across the Levels on unforgiving seats via Wedmore and into Cheddar. Here it was a short stop before catching the still reduced 126, operated by Eclipse 69457 having a return to Wells depot and having been shorn of its Mendip Explorer ID if not the livery. Noticed that the seat cushions and headrests were beginning to fray.... it's only been 3 years since refurb!

Into Wells and straight onto the 376 north in the hands of 33667. Now unlike 69457 (and newly repainted 33838), this has been a Wells vehicle for some time. It's in ME livery but internally, there's none of the promo vinyls that used to adorn the Eclipses and Streetdecks. Even before Covid, I found the treatment of the Mendip Explorer routes slightly perplexing.... It used to be better than it is now but even then, there weren't branded stops. The brand's been removed from the 178 after 6 months and is now to be removed from the 126. It doesn't feel as coherent or strategic as it seemed - it seems more just a livery at the moment. 33667 coped with the Bristol Hill perfectly well and like 33838, the e400s seem fine on these routes. Again a whinge but think that these would benefit from a refurb, perhaps more beneficial than the recent 24 refurbs?

I got off at White Cross and then caught the 171 to Paulton, a short hop on Bath unibus 33946, so I could catch the newly deckered 178 to Keynsham. Now here's the thing... I've yet to be on a 178 in normal times that required anything larger than an Eclipse. A decker isn't required but.... what a lovely journey on B9 37346. I live locally and must've driven that route many times but on a pleasant day, it was a different perspective and was a just delightful. No issues with trees either except a few branches leaving Farmborough.

After a much needed food stop in Keynsham (thanks Rishi), I wandered out to catch the 18 to Bath. Was able to hear complaints about missing 349s and also complaints on the A4 with confusion on the short workings. At that point, an Abus Spectra appeared (53 plate) looking very smart externally but peering through the windows showed that these are now very careworn. Again, I wonder how long Abus will continue before a well earned retirement beckons? My next steed was one of the few ex Glasgow machines still about in 32544. Now, compared to 32338 earlier which is a whole year older....this was superb for its age. Hardly a rattle, not bad condition, quite tidy, and it seemed to go well without the full Dyson effect.

Then into Bath and something for the bus enthusiast etiquette thread. I wandered over to Broad Quay to catch the 3. There were two spotters photographing away. It was comical, as they were in perfect synchronisation. A bus would come around the corner, they'd raise their cameras and snap, then immediately check the image and return back to standing looking bored until the next bus rounded the corner....unless it was a Solo as they just didn't bother with those. I assume they think they're not "proper buses".

I had a plan to go to Combe Down and then enjoy a trip back on the 2 to enjoy the scenery of the city, with 33832 doing the honours. I have to say that the e400 is probably more suited to the city. First stopped buying B9s in 2012 and even then, it was one batch of 100 that has now been cast across the UK with just 7 in Bath so whilst I'd prefer Volvos on country routes, the scope to do so just isn't there. We made our way and I got off just as 33832 entered Foxhill so I could walk to Mulberry Park just in time to see my Solo driving off! Rather than waiting 25 mins in the rather smart new development, I checked to see that the U2 was due. I was getting nervous as the phone was down to 4% but 66720 turned up! I got on and discovered the USBs weren't working and so it was actually draining the battery. I was down to 3% but thought I'd be ok as I did the short hop to the Red Lion. Incidentally, someone has gone to the trouble of making a printed notice that reads "Granny Mendip" above the driver.

Last bus for the day was 33950 from Odd Down to MSN. This one goes well and the USBs were working; is this now a human right to have USBs??? As always, these e400MMCs squeak like hell; is it the dual door design? It seemed to cope with Dunkerton fine, the only issue on the journey being how long these are when turning in Westfield to head to Norton Hill. Sadly, you can also see the peak hour congestion beginning to return.

However, I've hopefully survived the day. The face mask adherence was pretty good especially with the yoof who get blamed for all Covid non-compliance. Aside from the first trip where the bloke hastily put his mask in place, the only other exemptions were one pensioner towards Street who wasn't wearing it over his nose, and in Radstock where someone stated they had lung and breathing issues so were exempted. Other than that, an interesting excursion into the new normal.... I hope it's interesting enough for you.

A very comprehensive & interesting report!

Shame 32338 has become a hoover, as that one was actually quite healthy sounding a few months ago. 32330 on the other hand, simply awful o_O.

CD

It`s planned roadworks in Glastonbury rather than social distancing for the diversion.

swifty

Established Member
Oh dear. That's now 3 fires this year for Bath vehicles, and now a 4th Discover bus off the road long term. Think 66886 might need to come back! :lol:

They’re not having much luck with these ex BA B7RLEs!

Firefighters were called after a fire broke out at Bath Bus Station this morning (Wednesday, August 5).

A bus that was parked up at the station on Dorchester Street caught alight shortly before 6am, forcing a large emergency response service to deal with the incident.

Crews rushed to the station and extinguished the fire before it got out of control.

A picture taken at the scene shows a bus filled with smoke as firefighters attempt to extinguish it.

Tommy Walters

What happened to the other broken discovers?

Good Question!

69500 has been off road since late February. I've asked on here before whether anyone knows anything, but to no avail.
69501 suffered a wiring fire in December, and has been off road ever since.
69505 was crashed at the end of June, and I believe it has been withdrawn. Parts are being used to reinstate 501.
69511 now caught fire today!

Add to that the engine fire on 66885 & the terminal engine failure on 65726, meaning actually 6 discovers have broken overall!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I have had some pictures sent of 69511, it's a lot worse than it looks! I've been asked not to share them but if I'm permitted I will post them (sorry to be a party pooper!).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It`s planned roadworks in Glastonbury rather than social distancing for the diversion.

Cheers Ron. So many SD road closures - just assumed it was the same there,

Whiteway215

Established Member
Oh dear. That's now 3 fires this year for Bath vehicles, and now a 4th Discover bus off the road long term. Think 66886 might need to come back! :lol:
Of course there are two Discovers in store at Westbury 66886 and 66726. Blue service 5 buses 66722/27 were brought back from Westbury store and put back into service so maybe the Discover pair might also?

henairs

Interesting report and glad you enjoyed your day out. I had a ride on the 178 about a fortnight ago from Hallotrow to Brislington and enjoyed it myself. Like yourself it was a B9 in charge.
I did it the old fashioned way by walking from Whitecross off a 376 as 172 was only running to Paulton at the time. I've noticed most folk are observing etiquette on facemask wearing but some don't seem to know the nose has to be covered along with the mouth.
Cheers, Mike

sk688

sorry if this is a stupid question but couldn't find much info on the first bus website.

I need to go from Bradley Stoke to Bristol Airport , and the FirstBus app suggested using the M1 to Bedminster and then the A2 to the Airport

Would I need a seperate ticket for the A2 , or would a West of England Zone day ticket be enough for both journeys ?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
sorry if this is a stupid question but couldn't find much info on the first bus website.

I need to go from Bradley Stoke to Bristol Airport , and the FirstBus app suggested using the M1 to Bedminster and then the A2 to the Airport

Would I need a seperate ticket for the A2 , or would a West of England Zone day ticket be enough for both journeys ?
Don't think the WoE day ticket is valid to Bristol Airport. You have to get off at the Airport Tavern and walk up.

Marcus Fryer

carlberry

Established Member
I'm pretty sure a WOE day ticket is available for the entire A2 route, unlike the A1 and A3 which run under contract to Bristol Airport the A2 is purely a FB initiative. Unless things have changed since the route was introduced.
The A2 timetable leaflet I have (Jan 2020) says West of England Zone tickets are valid along the entire route, indeed the only other ticket it advises is a single to the airport for £6.50. It's what I bought on it lastyear when I was too stingy to pay the airport parking fee or the A1 fare!

Buses in Bath

Yes a West of England zone ticket is valid along the entire m1 and A2 routes

D2007wsm

Established Member

Don't think the WoE day ticket is valid to Bristol Airport. You have to get off at the Airport Tavern and walk up.

I'm pretty sure a WOE day ticket is available for the entire A2 route, unlike the A1 and A3 which run under contract to Bristol Airport the A2 is purely a FB initiative. Unless things have changed since the route was introduced.
The A2 timetable leaflet I have (Jan 2020) says West of England Zone tickets are valid along the entire route, indeed the only other ticket it advises is a single to the airport for £6.50. It's what I bought on it lastyear when I was too stingy to pay the airport parking fee or the A1 fare!
Correct all West of England Zone ticket can be used all the way to Bristol Airport on the A2, Bristol Zone tickets can be used as far as Hobbs Lane. It is a commercial service ran by First WoE off of its own back, rather than a contract service for Bristol Airport in the case of the A1 and A3.

When they are operating, just ask for an Airthru ticket on a regular service, in the Travelhub at Bristol Bus Station or on the mTicket app and this will cover a service into Bristol City Centre/Weston Town Centre and then the A1 or A3 onwards to Bristol Airport. These tickets are actually the same price as a normal A1/A3 single or return. In Bristol, £8.00 Single/£13 Return.

D2007wsm

Established Member
An Airthru return on the A1 for £13, is the same price as 2 singles on the A2 if you are coming back on a different day.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Correct all West of England Zone ticket can be used all the way to Bristol Airport on the A2, Bristol Zone tickets can be used as far as Hobbs Lane. It is a commercial service ran by First WoE off of its own back, rather than a contract service for Bristol Airport in the case of the A1 and A3.

When they are operating, just ask for an Airthru ticket on a regular service, in the Travelhub at Bristol Bus Station or on the mTicket app and this will cover a service into Bristol City Centre/Weston Town Centre and then the A1 or A3 onwards to Bristol Airport. These tickets are actually the same price as a normal A1/A3 single or return. In Bristol, £8.00 Single/£13 Return.

Fair play - I wasn't sure but thought I could recall something about Lulsgate. Clearly not :oops:

martyjon

Yes a West of England zone ticket is valid along the entire m1 and A2 routes

West of England Zone day ticket is valid to Airport on A2 but not A1 but as thats not scheduled to run till January you should have no problem. If you are using the A1 you can buy an Airport Flyer on your bus from your starting point (Bradley Stoke) to Central Bristol to connect with the A1 (when running). This applies to any FWOE service be it from Horfield or Chipping Sodbury at the standard A1 ticket price, single or return which is inclusive of travel from your starting point to Central Bristol to connect with an A1 (This for your future reference).

As an aside may I suggest you change services at the Centre stop outside the Forces Recruitment Centre as it's a more pleasant location to sit and watch the world go by rather than Bedminster.

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
An Airthru return on the A1 for £13, is the same price as 2 singles on the A2 if you are coming back on a different day.
Thanks for that. I must have read about it at some point however I hadn't realised how useful it might be.