• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Private Baxter

Established Member
Steve White reported 66942 had been on loan to Weymouth but obviously back now.
I believe at one time as a training bus it was based in Bath but not sure where it’s allocated now.
Honestly don't know. Last I heard of it, it was allocated to the 126 in Wells! Must have missed its spell in Weymouth. No reason it can't still be based at Bath, despite its sighting in Fishponds!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveHarries

Established Member
Seen on a Facebook post this morning is that the A1 between Bristol Bus Station and Bristol International Airport resumed operation on 16-May-2021 - to its original route! This means that the A2 has been withdrawn and the A1 no longer operates along the Metrobus route but now operates through Bedminster and Parson Street, as it did previously, in place of the A2.

The timetable on Traveline SW confirms this to be the case. It is also back on 24hr service.

HTIOI,
Dave

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Honestly don't know. Last I heard of it, it was allocated to the 126 in Wells! Must have missed its spell in Weymouth. No reason it can't still be based at Bath, despite its sighting in Fishponds!
It came off in March last year from Wells and don't think it went back into service, becoming a driver trainer in Weymouth and now in Bath and assume it is now modified for the CAZ

-Colly405-

Seen on a Facebook post this morning is that the A1 between Bristol Bus Station and Bristol International Airport resumed operation on 16-May-2021 - to its original route! This means that the A2 has been withdrawn and the A1 no longer operates along the Metrobus route but now operates through Bedminster and Parson Street, as it did previously, in place of the A2.

The timetable on Traveline SW confirms this to be the case. It is also back on 24hr service.

HTIOI,
Dave
What I saw on Traveline looked as though they have simply renumbered the A2 to A1 and increased the frequency at certain times...

Marcus Fryer

Presumably with A1 fares and ticket restrictions? And using the bus station?
The Bristol Airport website states “Concessionary passes will be accepted on the A1 Bristol Flyer”. It also gives the fare for the A1 as £8.00 (as opposed to the fare on the A2 being £6.50).

Whiteway215

Established Member
I've not seen any mention of the two new Wessex Water buses 44694/95 entering service and wondered if anyone had any news about them?

I've not seen any mention of the two new Wessex Water buses 44694/95 entering service and wondered if anyone had any news about them?
Ex Aberdeen 37639/41/42 at Bath depot this morning collected from Press Engineering after repaint into Bath blue.

Last edited:

Marcus Fryer

I wonder if the A1 will be offering the stopping service facilities of the A2 along the A38?
The First Bus timetable leaflet for the A1 (link from the Bristol Airport website) says it “serves all stops along the route”.

Last edited:

cnjb8

Established Member

Ex Aberdeen 37639/41/42 at Bath depot this morning collected from Press Engineering after repaint into Bath blue.
Maybe Monday when things start opening up a bit

Whiteway215

Established Member
66181 was at Bath depot early in April painted white and marked NHS Covid19 Vaccination Service. It was also shown in the official First fleet changes as transferring from Hampshire & Dorset.
I've not seen any mention of it being used as a vaccination centre.
Does anyone know if it is still at Bath depot?

cnjb8

Established Member
66181 was at Bath depot early in April painted white and marked NHS Covid19 Vaccination Service. It was also shown in the official First fleet changes as transferring from Hampshire & Dorset.
I've seen a photo of it somewhere being used as a vaccination bus. It was a driver training vehicle at H&D

Volvodart

Established Member
I've seen a photo of it somewhere being used as a vaccination bus. It was a driver training vehicle at H&D

This looks like it here:-

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/19263079.need-know-vaccination-bus-swindon/All you need to know about the vaccination bus in Swindon

By Hedi Mehrez @Adver_HediMReporter
All you need to know about the vaccination bus in Swindon

All you need to know about the vaccination bus in Swindon

pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel

The vaccination bus has been spotted across Swindon, touring areas where uptake of the coronavirus vaccine has been low.
The single-decker coach is being used by the region’s NHS Clinical Commissioning Group in targeting areas where it is known there are high levels of vaccine hesitancy.
Swindon Borough Council said it will not be publishing details of when and where the vaccination bus will be located online.
Details on the whereabouts of the bus will be advertised to specific communities through ongoing outreach work.

An SBC spokesperson said: “The vaccination bus is there to provide the coronavirus vaccine to people who are eligible for a vaccine but who are unable to travel to a vaccination centre, or who have been hesitant to a previous offer of vaccination and would like to chat to a medical professional first.
“The vaccine bus is not intended for people who are able to travel, or who have yet to be invited for a vaccination.”
READ MORE: Converted bus to visit Swindon in bid to encourage people to have Covid-19 vaccine

Converted bus to visit Swindon in bid to encourage people to have Covid-19 vaccine​

By Hedi Mehrez @Adver_HediMReporter
The bus is starting its tour in Swindon this week

The bus is starting its tour in Swindon this week

4 comments

A CONVERTED bus will roll into town to encourage people to have the Covid-19 vaccine.
The single-decker coach was unveiled this morning and is the latest tool being used by the region's NHS Clinical Commissioning Group in targeting areas where the jab take-up is low.
It will begin its tour in Swindon before visiting parts of Wiltshire and Bath & North East Somerset. Communities where there are high levels of vaccine hesitancy will be the first stops on the route.
The bus has been refitted to enable teams to provide the Covid-19 jab in a clean and secure environment.

The mobile clinic will also double up as a safe conversation space in which people with questions or queries can talk about their concerns with experienced healthcare professionals before deciding whether to have the vaccine.
Swindon Borough Council's director of public health Steve Maddern said: “The new mobile vaccination clinic will be an invaluable tool that will allow us to target areas with lower vaccination uptake.

“It is never too late to change your mind if you have previously said no to vaccination, and this new mobile clinic will be a huge boost in our efforts to protect those communities who, up until now, have been hesitant of the vaccine.
“It allows people to come along and have a conversation with health professionals if they are unsure about whether they want to have the vaccine and if you’re in the priority groups of 45 and over – or one of the other priority groups – then you will be able to be vaccinated on the bus.
“My understanding is that the NHS has done a soft launch this week to just make sure processes are working well and then across the next few months that bus will then travel across Swindon, B&NES and Wiltshire to those areas where uptake has been lower.”
Details of when and where the mobile vaccination clinic will be visiting will be advertised to specific communities through ongoing outreach work happening with community leaders, faith groups and public health workers.

BPWUser1

It was at Twerton Park on the 17th May.

Attachments

• E1muo2oX0AAQkZS2.jpg
    E1muo2oX0AAQkZS2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
Was at Bath depot on Saturday (22nd).

Citistar

Some late notice major alterations this weekend have appeared on TravelineSW (all from 30/05):
Bath 3 and 3a will run Bathford/Elmhurst to the Bus Station only.
Bath 4 remains Weston - City - Odd Down.
New 4a will be Weston - City - Foxhill (as current 3).
New 4b will be evenings Weston - City - Foxhill - Odd Down.
18 is curtailed to run Bath - Kingswood only, meaning Kingswood - UWE will now be hourly on 19 only.
32 (Lansdown Racecourse Vaccination Centre) is reduced from half hourly to hourly.
171-4, 39/X39 and all other Bath City services have revised timetables. Only notable change i've spotted on these so far is that 171/172 will run hourly on Sundays instead of twice hourly. The day starts with 171, then changes to 172 at lunchtime.

CD

Some late notice major alterations this weekend have appeared on TravelineSW (all from 30/05):
Bath 3 and 3a will run Bathford/Elmhurst to the Bus Station only.
Bath 4 remains Weston - City - Odd Down.
New 4a will be Weston - City - Foxhill (as current 3).
New 4b will be evenings Weston - City - Foxhill - Odd Down.
18 is curtailed to run Bath - Kingswood only, meaning Kingswood - UWE will now be hourly on 19 only.
32 (Lansdown Racecourse Vaccination Centre) is reduced from half hourly to hourly.
171-4, 39/X39 and all other Bath City services have revised timetables. Only notable change i've spotted on these so far is that 171/172 will run hourly on Sundays instead of twice hourly. The day starts with 171, then changes to 172 at lunchtime.
The new timetables now available on the FWOE website.

Whiteway215

Established Member
For anyone following the fate of the ex Bath bendis, I have read courtesy of the PSV Circle news sheets a report that around April 10036 passed from a preservationist to Wigleys for scrap.

DaveHarries

Established Member
More cuts coming down the line. Not surprising but I've definitely heard of a few people who won't get for instance the Bristol 4 because of the infrequent Sunday service
I always used to use the 528 & 530 for evening, Sunday & Bank Holiday journeys as I always found them more punctual. The loss of those two routes was a real nuisance and I still live in hope that they will return one day. It is hard to imagine that the 28 & 29 (as they once were) used to provide 5bph for Parry's Lane (Stoke Bishop). A 2bph off-peak service for an area like Stoke Bishop is not really matching resources to demand (which was the excuse given for making them run at that frequency in the first place).

Dave

Citistar

I always used to use the 528 & 530 for evening, Sunday & Bank Holiday journeys as I always found them more punctual. The loss of those two routes was a real nuisance and I still live in hope that they will return one day. It is hard to imagine that the 28 & 29 (as they once were) used to provide 5bph for Parry's Lane (Stoke Bishop). A 2bph off-peak service for an area like Stoke Bishop is not really matching resources to demand (which was the excuse given for making them run at that frequency in the first place).

Dave
Quite. There are several areas of Bristol where First's neglect over the past 25 years is painfully apparent. Stoke Bishop and the whole Shirehampton corridor is a good example, as is the Rookery Farm / Windways / Loxton Square area of Hengrove which has gone from 10-12 buses an hour on the 20-22 and 51 to the 92 every half hour. Oldland has gone from four city-bound buses an hour to one.

All of these are examples of areas where an inventive alternative operator could provide something beneficial and complementary alongside First's offering, but the ticketing system prevents this. WECA (THE WEST OF ENGLAND COMBINED AUTHORITY) insist on the far more expensive empire building of more Metrobus routes linking to hub and spoke networks along with DRT (DEMAND RESPONSIVE TRANSPORT) when they could get so much more for so much less money if they were interested in listening to anyone outside their own offices. But this is the bright new public sector controlled future we have to look forward to - no interest in the current bus services as they dwindle away to nothing, but big plans for projects that will likely never see the light of day.

Buses in Bath

For anyone following the fate of the ex Bath bendis, I have read courtesy of the PSV Circle news sheets a report that around April 10036 passed from a preservationist to Wigleys for scrap.
yes i've just asked someone about this because i was very shocked to hear that but aparently the electrics were not in great shape and it leaked on them which finished the bus off which is a real shame.

Accelerator59

Judging on Flickr, 66993 was in Plymouth at the end of June 2013, appeared at Eden in July/Aug, and was back in Bath by September. Not certain if sister 66992 went down?

Two things though... never noticed that 66992/3 were registered back to front RKZ4761/0, and that RKZ4761 didn't reappear (or at least on a First bus).
Aren’t they now registered as DC06 FNG/H and used as training vehicles? (Sorry if already mentioned and known).

-Colly405-

44907 is out on the 76 - just passed me when it was heading south down Gloucester Rd...

Also, 39452 hit a low-flying large plastic bin inbound on the M32 at about 1215, causing damage to the lower nearside panelling. The driver terminated the journey in the bus station.

Last edited by a moderator: